Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 09:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata is the first Indian auto group to sell a million units in a year (includes JLR & CVs)

According to JATO Dynamics, Tata Motors has become the first Indian carmaker to sell 10 lakh units in a single year.

Tata is the first Indian auto group to sell a million units in a year (includes JLR & CVs)-2017tatatigor15.jpg

Tata Motors was the third fastest growing brand among top 20 global carmakers. In terms of sales, the company has surpassed Chinese brands SAIC and Changan.

As per media reports, Tata Motors sold 10.49 lakh vehicles in 2018 compared to 9.86 lakh units in 2017. These figures include light vehicles like cars, utility vehicles, vans and pick up trucks. While Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has gained some market share in the premium segment, growth was mainly driven by the Tata brand.

Source: Business Today

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 09:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata is the first Indian auto maker to sell a million units in a year (includes JLR & CVs)

What am I missing? The article claims 'carmaker', but I don't see the numbers coming anywhere close if only private vehicles are considered.

Even Maruti Suzuki claimed to have sold 16.4 lakhs cars last year. And they had 50.74% marketshare last year, as compared to TATA's 6.04%. And it's not even worldwide sales, as the article again claims that 99% of these sales came from the Indian market.

Tata is the first Indian auto group to sell a million units in a year (includes JLR & CVs)-161926.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th March 2019 at 09:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 09:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata is the first Indian auto maker to sell a million units in a year (includes JLR & CVs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What am I missing? The article claims 'carmaker', but I don't see the numbers coming anywhere close if only private vehicles are considered.
The article also says:

Quote:
Light vehicle sales include cars, utility vehicles, vans and small pickup trucks of up to 3.5 tonnes.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 09:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
What am I missing?
Just a small note that claims that the Light vehicle sales include cars, utility vehicles, vans and small pickup trucks of up to 3.5 tonnes.

Edit: Sorry that I was late by few minutes, Volkman10 already posted the info, not sure if i can delete my post.

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 29th March 2019 at 09:56.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 10:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Definitely includes JLR worldwide sales because Tata sales don't add up to 1 million units even if you include light commercial vehicles.

Jaguar: 180,000 units
Land Rover: 410,000 units
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 03:51   #6
BHPian

Could also include Ace, Magic and other small UVs as mentioned in the article. Only then can they sell 10 lakh units/year
Old 30th March 2019, 09:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata has definitely got the PR right (safest car, this & many more articles). Now we just have to wait and see how their cars perform in the long term. I hope they get the cars right too.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 10:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Even Maruti Suzuki claimed to have sold 16.4 lakhs cars last year. And they had 50.74% marketshare last year, as compared to TATA's 6.04%. And it's not even worldwide sales, as the article again claims that 99% of these sales came from the Indian market.

Even I was confused here about the "First". And then I realized Indian. Maruti is a subsidiary of a Japanese company (Or part subsidiary) while Tata is Indian, Just like Mahindra.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:00   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata is the first Indian auto group to sell a million units in a year (includes JLR & CVs)

Renamed the thread title a bit to make it more representative.

Congrats to the Tata Group! Becoming a part of the millionaire's club is indeed a huge achievement! People generally think that Maruti is the biggest in India. Wrong, that's only if you focus on cars. Bring in all things automotive and Tata is the grand-daddy of Maruti. Its revenue is like 4 - 5 times that of Maruti.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 14:53   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata is the first Indian auto group to sell a million units in a year (includes JLR & CVs)

Feels good to see TATA climb yet another milestone.

Wishing them many more.

Yep their PR is coming into it's own.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 01:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats to TATA Motors and i hope they continue their story. I read in media that TATA is planning a new car in the entry level segment that can stand up to what is on offer now and my plea is that they take a leaf out of the VW Up car and design a new car around it instead of the usual radical design that scares many away. Believe you me, the orders will fly off the shelves. Try it, TATA Motors and then invite me to the one millionth car roll out!.
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bring in all things automotive and Tata is the grand-daddy of Maruti.
I would rephrase that "All things Locomotive". Tata even has a locomotive workshop (see video) at Tatanagar/Jamshedpur.

Last edited by navin : 2nd April 2019 at 11:39.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 17:55   #13
BHPian

Selling off JLR?

http://gtspirit.com/2019/04/01/volks...n-tata-motors/

Edit: Relax!

Fell for the April fool joke

Last edited by thirst4torque : 2nd April 2019 at 17:59.
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would rephrase that "All things Locomotive". Tata even has a locomotive workshop (see video) at Tatanagar/Jamshedpur.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=5pf1_Ftwab4
Tata entered passenger car market very late and they have seen huge success with Indica and also a deep plunge in their complete range of cars for years until the new design strategy was put in place starting with Tiago. I must say they are doing pretty well now in passenger cars too.
Coming to commercial vehicle business Tata motors has over 40% market share in India adding to these numbers making them first Indian manufacturer to sell over a million units
Not to forget the word 'Locomotive'. Before being renamed as TATA motors, for a long time they were famous with the name TELCO (Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company) with a big capital 'T' on their commercial vehicles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks