Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2019, 17:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Tiago & Tigor diesel variants to be discontinued

According to a media report, Tata Motors will not upgrade its 1.05-litre, 3-cylinder diesel engine to comply with BS-VI emission norms. At present, this engine does duty in the Tiago and Tigor. This could mean that the two cars are not likely to be offered with a diesel engine from April 1, 2020.

Rumour: Tata Tiago & Tigor diesel variants to be discontinued-tatazica01.jpg

The carmaker has said that the petrol variants of the Tiago and Tigor account for 80% of their total sales. During the period April 2018-January 2019, diesels accounted for 14% and 15% of overall Tiago and Tigor sales respectively. As demand for diesel variants is low, the company considers developing new BS-VI compliant small capacity diesel engines unfeasible.

The Tiago and Tigor share the same engines. The diesel versions of the car are powered by a 1.05-litre, 3-cylinder engine that produces 69 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 140 Nm @ 1,800-3,000 rpm. This engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The petrol versions of the cars draw power from a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder that makes 84 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 114 Nm of torque @ 3,500 rpm.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 18:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Tata Tiago & Tigor diesel variants to be discontinued

As expected - Diesel engines below 1.5 litres in capacity are likely to be discontinued once BS6 norms set in, and this trend is not just limited to TATA - with the 1.3 MJD national engine leading the way!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 10:36   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, the BS6 price increase might be too big a pill to swallow for budget-car customers. Still, I hope that the cost of upgrading comes down once everyone starts mass producing BS6 diesels. Diesels might form a smaller part of economy car sales, but it is still big enough & justifies an attempt. 20-30% of the sales mix is nothing to laugh at.

I hope Tata takes this opportunity to improve the Tiago's petrol motor. It is a rather unimpressive one.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 11:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yeah, the BS6 price increase might be too big a pill to swallow for budget-car customers. Still, I hope that the cost of upgrading comes down once everyone starts mass producing BS6 diesels. Diesels might form a smaller part of economy car sales, but it is still big enough & justifies an attempt. 20-30% of the sales mix is nothing to laugh at.
GTO,

I have studied the Volkswagen diesel scandal only recently, but I understand now that they cheated at the altar of the Euro 6 standards (which is equivalent to BS 6). What is your assessment of what happened there, vis-a-vis emissions by Euro 6 diesels? After VW was uncovered, didn't NGOs worldwide discover that almost every other OEM out there has also cheated similarly with their diesel cars?

The main reason I ask is - I see you calling for more production of diesels. But this flies in the face of the worldwide trend of vilification of diesels. I'd like to know your perspective on this.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks