Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 21:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Shield Plus with 6 year extended warranty launched

Skoda has launched Shield Plus - an extended warranty, roadside assistance and insurance package for customers. It is available on all models including the Rapid, Octavia, Superb and Kodiaq.

Skoda Shield Plus with 6 year extended warranty launched-2017skodakodiaq13.jpg

As part of Shield Plus, Skoda is offering 1 year comprehensive insurance and 3 years of third party coverage for subsequent years. Extended warranty for an additional period of fifth and sixth year or 1,50,000 km (whichever is earlier) is also part of the package.

The carmaker is offering 24x7 roadside assistance to customers for the fifth and sixth year of ownership. Skoda Assist will provide assistance for mechanical or electrical failure, flat or weak battery, flat tyre, fuel exhaustion, mislaid key, breakdown and accident anywhere in the country.

In 2018, Skoda had introduced 4 year warranty, 4 year road side assistance and optional 4 year maintenance package on its cars. Shield Plus is available for existing Skoda customers who have opted for the 4 year warranty program.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 21:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Shield Plus with 6 year extended warranty launched

Ah! The lengths one has to go to in order to recapture the customers one ticked off through years of lousy service! I don't know if this will help. Rapid is too old. Kodiaq has cheaper competition. Superb and Octavia are in shrinking segments because of SUVs like Harrier. Plus... the pricing!
kovilkalai is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 02:00   #3
BHPian

This is a welcome move to bring back the customers who kept away from Skoda badge due to lousy ASS and too costly parts replacement. Hope they don't make it a difficult option and make it available easily to all existing customers as well without too many terms and conditions. Overall a welcome move which will give some peace of mind on ownership.
Karvel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 07:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Excellent news my extended warranty will expire in April. I would love to get this if the rates are reasonable. Any news on the rates yet ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 07:20   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Incredible - well done, Skoda . As someone who owns a European car with a 6-year warranty, I can totally vouch for the peace-of-the-mind factor such a long warranty brings. And it's especially important in the Europeans (not to mention, the VW group's DSGs).

Honda & Toyota are already offering 7-year warranties. Sooner or later, everyone will follow suit.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 07:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
Ah! The lengths one has to go to in order to recapture the customers one ticked off through years of lousy service! I don't know if this will help. Rapid is too old. Kodiaq has cheaper competition. Superb and Octavia are in shrinking segments because of SUVs like Harrier. Plus... the pricing!
Still a great initative! Except for the aged Rapid, Skoda is literally playing in the niche segments (read expensive) and a long-term warranty option like this offer great peace of mind for its owners.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 08:51   #7
NTO
BHPian

Though the trouble of cost of maintenance is ruled out with these warranties and maintenance packages, I really doubt if this would give peace of mind. The infamous Skoda dealerships are the same and though free of cost, you will have to wrestle literally with them for every replacement under warranty and service under maintenance package.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 10:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Excellent news my extended warranty will expire in April. I would love to get this if the rates are reasonable. Any news on the rates yet ?
is it applicable to existing customers as well? I was under the impression that it is for new buyers only
Old 20th February 2019, 10:01   #9
BHPian

Great move! It would have been mouth watering if they could have bundled it up into the already premium pricing, and hence in a sense justify the high tag, instead of asking more from the customer.

With the Skoda Shield, this is how the Skoda stacks against the competition. While the Isuzu, which bundles the best standard warranty in to the purchase price, the Toyota-Honda Japanese, are joined with Skoda now, to offer peace of mind beyond five years.

Updating my SUV shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
OWNER'S PRIDE

Peace of mind is hard to quantify, or so we thought, until the Fortuner advertised some jaw dropping 2.8 lakh km warranty. I wish the Ford had showed similar trust in their Endeavour which offers the least coverage warranty in the lot. The maintenance costs, on the other hand are reported to be least in the segment for the Ford.The Isuzu and Skoda, on either end of the spectrum, have both posted some confidence inspiring warranty periods too.
Skoda Shield Plus with 6 year extended warranty launched-screen-shot-20190220-9.53.13-am.png
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 13:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

This kind of extended warranty will up the resale value of these premium cars as they tend to depreciate severely.

A very very welcome move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
. Kodiaq has cheaper competition. Superb and Octavia are in shrinking segments because of SUVs like Harrier. Plus... the pricing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
I personally think Superb is an absolute VFM car compared. Its essentially a 5 Series/ E-Class comparable car which is atleast 15 Lakhs cheaper.

same goes for Kodiaq which is a rebadged Q7 at a lower cost.
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 13:59   #11
BHPian

Great initiative Skoda! Hopefully this will push all manufacturers to provide similar options.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You meant the Q5 right?

Dimensionally the Kodiaq is closest to the Q5, but the buyer might consider it against the Q3, (both cases with an extra row of seats). Either way, the Kodiaq is a great VFM alternative once you look beyond the badge.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 14:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I personally think Superb is an absolute VFM car compared. Its essentially a 5 Series/ E-Class comparable car which is atleast 15 Lakhs cheaper.

Size-wise, the Superb is in the same league as the 5-series or E-class (slightly smaller though). However, the BMW and Mercedes will be packed to the gills with equipment. Still, Superb is VFM in its class. The problem is that many of the guys who would buy a Superb (myself included) are now firmly in SUV territory.

The Kodiaq is not quite a Q7. It is a couple of sizes smaller and doesn't pack as much of a punch. The alternatives to the Kodiaq (and we can quibble about a like for like match here) are larger, cheaper and have better engines.
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 16:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
is it applicable to existing customers as well? I was under the impression that it is for new buyers only
I'd also be very interested in this answer. When I bought my TSI in Jan 2016, Skoda did not have the 4-4 scheme in place and my normal EW is expiring January 2020.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 16:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'd also be very interested in this answer. When I bought my TSI in Jan 2016, Skoda did not have the 4-4 scheme in place and my normal EW is expiring January 2020.
My friend (who owns Rapid Diesel 2015 model) called up Vinayak Skoda and he has been informed that it is applicable only for new owners.
kavensri is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks