Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 17:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Updated Force Trax and Gurkha spotted testing

Test mules of the Force Trax and Gurkha have been spotted in Chandigarh. Both models are expected to be updated to comply with new emissions and crash safety norms.

Updated Force Trax and Gurkha spotted testing-force2.jpg

The spy images suggest that the Trax is likely to get a revised front end featuring new headlamp clusters. The car retains its boxy proportions and has a raked front windshield, a V-shaped bonnet and a ribbed roof. The Force Gurkha is also expected to get a redesigned front fascia. The rectangular indicators on the front fascia have been removed and the SUV appears to get circular indicators on the front fenders. The position of the snorkel has been moved from the top of the front right fender to the side. It also appears to get vents on the front right fender. The chunky front bumper and wheel arches have been carried over from the outgoing model.

Updated Force Trax and Gurkha spotted testing-force1.jpg

Both models are expected to receive engines updated to comply with BS-VI emissions regulations. Currently, the Trax is offered with a 2.0-litre, 3-cylinder diesel engine that makes 66 BHP @ 3,200 rpm and 175 Nm of torque @ 1,600-2,400 rpm and a 2.6-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit that puts out 84 BHP @ 3,200 rpm and 230 Nm @ 1,400-2,400 rpm. Both engines come equipped with a 5-speed manual gearbox.

The Force Gurkha Xplorer and Xpedition models are also offered with aforementioned 2.6-litre diesel engine paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox. The Gurkha Xtreme uses a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that produces 138 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 321 Nm of torque @ 1,600-2,400 rpm mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 18:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Updated Force Trax and Gurkha spotted testing

I got test drive of Gurkha last week courtesy ORAZ owner Mr. Vikram. My concerns were relating to ABS and a senior company official was to get back to me regarding option of having ABS at a later date. I am sure these new vehicle especially Gurkha will be exactly same as they launched recently but with ABS & Airbags, Emission norms (Euro6) are still more than a Year away so we should not expect any changes on the engine. BTW, did you got a chance to check the new one? If not then you must.

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2019 at 11:12. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 11:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
My concerns were relating to ABS
This was exactly my concern too. When I checked, I was told that since ABS is compulsory from 1st April this year, they will have an option to either kill the vehicle (foolish) or add ABS. The dashboard is also a major sore point for me, but having tinkered with various Mahindra vehicles over the years, I have a tinker who can make a proper function dashboard. This old man used to make custom dashboards for HM Ambassadors back in the day.

Quote:
I am sure these new vehicle especially Gurkha will be exactly same as they launched recently but with ABS & Airbags

In the current dashboard, I don't think there is any way to integrate airbags. I think ABS will probably come first and Air Bags with revised dash.

Quote:
Emission norms (Euro6) are still more than a Year away so we should not expect any changes on the engine.

Agreed and frankly I would rather have a BS IV engine with less complicated emission related electronics than the BSVI version due in April 2020. Franky the cost to upgrade to BSVI will not be viable for certain models. The current Gurkha Extreme is already 13 Lakhs Ex-showroom. 2 Air Bags with revised dashboard & ABS will push it to 14 lakhs ex-showroom. Add the new 15to 20% life tax plus another 15% insurance and the Gurkha Extreme will cost about 16 to 18 lakhs on the road depending in the state.

Quote:
BTW, did you got a chance to check the new one? If not then you must.

I didn't test drive the extreme, I test drove the previous 2.6 CRDe with the IFS/Coil Spring set up. The Extreme to me checks all the boxes mechanically. Now with ABS, Air Bags and and a proper dashboard and console, I think I will go for it.
4x4addict is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 08:46   #4
BANNED

BS6 Force Trax Cruiser and Toofan Launch Price Rs 10.9 L Onwards

The 2020 Force Trax will be available in four variants – Trax Cruiser, Trax Cruiser Deluxe, Trax Toofan and Trax Toofan Deluxe. Prices start from Rs 10.9 lakhs, ex-sh.

Apart from getting a BS6 engine – Updated Trax variants come with a more powerful engine, new longer and wider body, new premium interiors, new safety features like ABS with EBD and a new chassis.

In terms of design and dimensions, all four variants are same – except for the stickers on the name exteriors. Length is 5120 mm, width is 1818 mm, height is 2027 mm, wheelbase is 3050 mm while laden ground clearance is 160 mm. Tyres 215/75 section, wrapped around 15 inch wheels. Fuel tank capacity is 63.5 liters

Updated Force Trax and Gurkha spotted testing-bs6forcetraxtoofandeluxespecs21068x801.jpg

Updated Force Trax and Gurkha spotted testing-bs6forcetraxinteriors21068x722.jpg

Updated Force Trax and Gurkha spotted testing-bs6forcetraxcruiserspecs21068x1137.jpg

Source
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:13   #5
BHPian

How in the world can this thing still exist!!!
This vehicle will break all the records set by Ambassador as the longest (pun intended) produced car

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 10th September 2020 at 12:40.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:40   #6
BHPian

Wait a min! They call it 'Premium' interiors? I've seen better interiors on Bolero! The words Premium and Luxury have been overused and hence overdiluted when it comes to Indian markets.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:56   #7
BHPian

If an award for the most unsafe vehicle to be given, the toofan will definitely be among the top. Its almost always overloaded with passengers and I've seen numerous accidents with this vehicle especially on the NH4
Old 10th September 2020, 13:08   #8
BHPian

Who buys this and that too at 11L Ex-Showroom ? The less spoken about the interiors the better. What stops them from atleast making an attempt to introduce some color or elements ? And look at that steering, it looks like a refurbished unit from the 1990's.
Old 10th September 2020, 13:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

I will give them credit for doing their own thing rather than depend on foreign brands for input. Maybe if they can focus on their QC, make the interiors feel less 1960s etc they'll be able to emulate Mahindra of the 90s.

Also i wonder how much modernised their R&D team is. Do they use modern computer softwares to build their products or do they still rely on hand drawings and crunching numbers manually. That and their manufacturing jigs and machines must be really outdated if they cannot snap out of their boxy body panels and squarish lights.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 10th September 2020 at 13:22.
Nithesh_M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:33   #10
BHPian

Considering the same group manufactures the bulk of Mercedes and BMW engines in India with warranty i'd not really doubt their engineering prowess.
There is a certain market in the semi urban and rural area's where this product is the only product that works flawlessly and takes all the beating thrown at it in the form of bad roads , overloading and absence of maintenance facilities.
abhijit 2284 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 15:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Who buys this and that too at 11L Ex-Showroom ? The less spoken about the interiors the better. What stops them from atleast making an attempt to introduce some color or elements ? And look at that steering, it looks like a refurbished unit from the 1990's.
Have you not seen these carrying upto 20 people everywhere in India as soon as you move out of metro city confines? This is a very popular vehicle for bulk people movement in most of rural India.
If one wanted an example of "thumbing the nose at safety norms" - this vehicle is the prime candidate.

I think the only reason why Force isn't stretching this vehicle even further - is because it will eat into Traveler's market .

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th September 2020 at 15:47.
Reinhard is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 15:48   #12
BHPian

Why does a 2.6 litre diesel CRDI engine produce only 90 BHP and 250 Nm of torque? These figures are worse than the 2009-2014 Scorpio. Is this due to bad design? Or lack of good a turbo?

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2020 at 17:23. Reason: Typo, grammar
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 16:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
Why does a 2.6 litre diesel CRDI engine produce only 90 BHP and 250 Nm of torque? These figures are worse than the 2009-2014 Scorpio. Is this due to bad design? Or lack of good a turbo?
This engine is derived from a Mercedes engine (with a little displacement increase, I believe) which they stopped producing in 1980s. So the power figures are this low. Traveller has 115hp version of same motor. 90bhp version got to be the turbocharged version, otherwise the output would have been around 60bhp. Yes, just a few years back Force was selling naturally aspirated diesels.

But abuse friendly people carrier is the selling point of Trax so neither force motors nor its buyers care about the power output.

We have to appreciate how 1.0L turbo petrols these days can be so powerful and still be reliable.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2020 at 17:23. Reason: Quoted text edited
YD14 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 21:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wonder how affordable this vehicle will considering it is mostly targeted at the rural markets? 11 lakh is pretty expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
Considering the same group manufactures the bulk of Mercedes and BMW engines in India with warranty i'd not really doubt their engineering prowess.
Engineering and Manufacturing prowess are two different things, although not mutually exclusive. They don't design any of the Merc or BMW engines/cars, they merely assemble them. Most of the design will be done in DE.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 22:18   #15
BHPian

A tempo traveler is available for about the same price. It is a much bigger vehicle. I think many would shift to this rather than buy the Trax at this price.

OT: recently I've observed many Eeco and old Omni models in rural areas. I think these are far more economical. You can fit 10 in an Eeco and run it on CNG and make good profits. No need for a vehicle that costs thrice the price but offers just double the capacity.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks