Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 15:08   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21

Toyota Urban Cruiser bookings open on August 22, 2020

Toyota will start accepting bookings for the Urban Cruiser from August 22, 2020. The booking amount is set at Rs. 11,000. Customers can also book the SUV online.

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-urban-cruiser.jpg

The Urban Cruiser is a re-badged version of the Maruti Vitara Brezza. The sub-4 meter SUV gets a new grille and other minor cosmetic changes. It has twin-pod projector LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights and LED fog lamps. It will be offered with 16-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels and will get dual-tone colour options and a new brown shade.

The Urban Cruiser comes with dual-tone dark brown interiors and will get features such as a touchscreen infotainment head-unit, automatic climate control, rain sensing wipers and cruise control among others.

The Urban Cruiser will be powered by the same 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol mild-hybrid powertrain that is found in the Vitara Brezza. This engine makes 104 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm and comes mated to either a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic transmission. Automatic variants will get a lithium-ion battery with an integrated starter generator (ISG).

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:39   #137
BHPian

The Urban Cruiser should at least get an AWD system to give it a substantial Toyota impression. Truth be told, I wouldn't actually mind considering an AWD Brezza for myself either.

But if they want "Respect" out of a lazy grille swap then i think they are just being a little too optimistic.
Malhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:01   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
However the Brezza with its solid build and better overall feel might be able to carry the T badge.
Solid build? This is the first time I'm reading a positive comment around Maruti Suzuki's build quality.

That's a real progress
HammerHead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:28   #139
BHPian

I don't know whether it has been discussed in this thread before, I came across this Autocar UK article and understood that Toyota infact had launched a car called 'Urban Cruiser' between 2009-2012. It was a crossover derived based on its generation Yaris hatchback!

After reading this I am even more pissed off about TKM India Management! Why couldn't they rework the Yaris sedan platform by plonking a sportier engine and launch a Creta/Seltos rival and then call it as Urban Cruiser? Why rebadge a car which is already lame (4 speed AT and a namesake hybrid which practically does nothing)??
In the long run this rebadging exercise will only dilute the brand and even Toyota loyalists like me will start looking elsewhere. 10 years from now most new cars will be electric and there is practically no EV options in the entire global Toyota product portfolio. I am starting to feel that my current car will be the last Toyota which I will ever own.
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Solid build? This is the first time I'm reading a positive comment around Maruti Suzuki's build quality.

That's a real progress
There's nothing new in this, Vitara Brezza is one of the very few well built Maruti's. Infact, it's the only car in their portfolio with 4 Star rating. Other cars from their stable have faired poorly.

2 Major Drawbacks of this car as Viddy rightly mentioned are the Interiors and that old school 4 speed Automatic. While it's better than AMT, it's not as good as other modern 6 Speed Gearboxes. I think Maruti thinks that 4 is better number than 6. Hence you get 4 Speed Auto which is way superior according to Maruti.

With Urban Cruiser, these drawbacks will stay. New Exterior Color option, Brown Interiors will be the difference between this & the Brezza. I hope Toyota prices it well like they did with Glanza.
CarguyNish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 21:41   #141
BHPian

Here are some pictures of the new Urban Cruiser.

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-2020toyotaurbancruiserbrochureleaks211068x769.jpg
Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-2020toyotaurbancruiserbrochureleaks261068x701.jpg
Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-2020toyotaurbancruiserbrochureleaks11068x939.jpg
Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-2020toyotaurbancruiserbrochureleaks101068x673.jpg
Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-2020toyotaurbancruiserbrochureleaks201068x827.jpg
Source: Rushlane website

Urban Cruiser gets a new grill, front bumper, brownish colored seats and doorpads,new Rustic brown color compared to the Brezza.
Interesting fact that the Urban Cruiser misses out on Red color vs the Brezza.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 20th August 2020 at 22:01.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 22:43   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Urban cruiser!

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-toyotaurbancruiserbrochure.jpg

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-2020toyotaurbancruiserbrochureleaks2696x704.jpg

Quote:
In a nutshell, though the Toyota Urban Cruiser’s roots are very obvious, it manages to emerge as a bolder and sportier counterpart.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th August 2020 at 22:49.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 22:45   #143
Senior - BHPian

Looks terrible undersized with respect to tyres and those ugly alloys don't help the cause.
Old 20th August 2020, 22:50   #144
Senior - BHPian

I wish i could just be employed at Toyota india as a designer !
Id work 30 mins a day with no stress and be paid as per Japanese salary standards.

What a brilliant job done by Toyota Bharat ! Stunning changes, i bet no one would be able to tell this is a Brezza.
nik_kapur is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 00:03   #145
BHPian

All I see is a win for some Brezza owners. Other than making your Brezza look like a Jeep or a LR, you can now make yours look like a Toyota or buy it straight from Toyota!

If not a grounds up brand new vehicle from Toyota, I expected at least a new top hat on the existing Suzuki platform, like what Renault-Nissan have been doing. I fear these kind of half-hearted "efforts" will become the new normal in the Indian automotive scene.
TaurusSHO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 00:15   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

The only change in the interior is the brown fabric upholstery which is not even leather and they are calling the interiors dual-tone brown interiors.

The exterior brown colour is new but red is missing, also is the orange colour still available in the Brezza?
I guess it was there in the pre-facelift model but haven’t seen it in the facelifted one.

The Alloy wheel design a bit different as compared to the Brezza.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st August 2020 at 00:17.
Old 21st August 2020, 02:22   #147
BHPian

So the reasons for buying this would also be better warranty, service experience and the Toyota badge
I still prefer the front end of the original car which looks cleaner imo.
The only thing I like about the 'all new Urban Cruiser' is the rustic brown shade which would look lovely but I equally hate the brown seat upholstery!
All in all, any one who is planning to buy a Brezza should straight away get this Toyota version instead for better sales and service experience, warranty and snob value of course!
Old 21st August 2020, 07:08   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a great update by Toyota. But expecting anything more than just the cosmetic job of grill and logo change, I feel we were trying too hard. Somehow, this front looks slightly better than the MSIL one. Anyone with petrol model can change the exterior looks to that of Toyota, all you need is a new grill, a new chrome garnish on tail gate and a T logo for tail. As far as the "dual tone interior" is concerned, that's a very pathetic choice of colour to be used in an already dark cabin. Instead they should have body coloured matching seat covers and fabric on doors with dark shades like dark blue with blue shade Brezza.. err, I meant Urban Cruiser, brown with brown one, light grey with silver and dark grey with grey. For white, they could have given either of these colors. Or maybe beige interiors across all colours making the cabin feel roomier. This brown doesn't gel well. If I've to go for a Urban Cruiser, first thing to get rid would be the seat covers.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 08:52   #149
Senior - BHPian

I really wish the Sonet does well. Toyota doesnt deserve numbers here, because there is zero innovation on their behalf, considering their brand. Agreed they have to keep the dealers going, but not investing in their native platforms and yet expecting people to warm up to the T badge is pathetic. If this was some wannabe manufacturer wanting to establish identity I’d be ok, but not Toyota. As things stand, Toyota can only hope that diesel will continue to be sold to private car buyers in India for the next 10 years atleast. But the way the global order is being rapidly upended and all countries are adapting, there are risks in betting anything long term.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 09:51   #150
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Toyota Urban Cruiser features & colour options leaked

Toyota is gearing up to launch the Urban Cruiser sub-4 meter SUV in India. Now, a leaked document has revealed some of the feature highlights and colour options.

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-img20200820wa0006.jpg

The Urban Cruiser is a re-badged version of the Maruti Vitara Brezza. Therefore, customers will find the overall shape of the car very familiar. It does get a new 2-slat grille, while the twin-pod LED projector headlamps have been carried over. The SUV rides on 16-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels.

On the inside, the Urban Cruiser gets dual-tone dark brown upholstery. It is equipped with features such as automatic climate control, rain sensing wipers, cruise control and will get the same touchscreen infotainment head-unit with Apple Car Play and Android Auto connectivity as the Vitara Brezza.

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-20200820_182447.jpg

Toyota will offer the Urban Cruiser in six single tone colour options - Blue, Brown, White, Orange, Silver and Grey as well as three dual-tone exterior colour options - Blue and Black, Brown and Black, Orange and White.

The Urban Cruiser will be powered by the same 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol mild-hybrid powertrain that is found in the Vitara Brezza. This engine makes 104 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm and comes mated to either a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic transmission. Automatic variants will get a lithium-ion battery with an integrated starter generator (ISG).

Bookings for the Toyota Urban Cruiser will commence from August 22, 2020.

Thanks to Auto Downtowner for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 21st August 2020 at 09:53.
TusharK is online now   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks