Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2019, 15:45   #16
BHPian

Re: White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Compass looks great to me in Silver, black roof takes thing to next level. While for many cars silver does look boring, lot of people prefer sober colors and silver is easy to maintain(second only to white).
It look great in Silver, but does it look best in silver? Better than Red Compass, for example (even without a black roof)? Or even a blue one?

And, what's the point of buying a "SUV" in silver color for ease of maintenance? Imagine, a dense green forest trail, a rivulet, and a compass going through it, wheels, fenders and sides all drenched in slush - a silver one or a red/black?

Anyways, just my personal opinion. Not trying to convince anyone here.

And, whatever companies name it (Stardust silver for example - stars don't even have dust ), mostly it is not even silver. It's more like Aluminium color, if you ask me.

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 17th January 2019 at 15:49.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 16:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
It look great in Silver, but does it look best in silver? Better than Red Compass, for example (even without a black roof)? Or even a blue one?

And, what's the point of buying a "SUV" in silver color for ease of maintenance? Imagine, a dense green forest trail, a rivulet, and a compass going through it, wheels, fenders and sides all drenched in slush - a silver one or a red/black?
Recently when changing my car, I was considering Silver Compass(as it looked the best to me for Compass). Red looked garish. Would you buy a Ferrari red X3 or lemon yellow Mercedes E Class? Colors and looks are relative, and only sales number can reflect the majority preference. Enthusiast maintained cars aside, ever looked a bright red/blue or black car after two years? Those glaring scratches, swirl marks and oxidation makes it look like a 10 year old car. I have a white and another Garnet red Innova and its a royal pain to keep the latter tidy.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 16:11   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Even though scientifically whites should reflect off sunlight and thus theoretically keep cars parked in sunlight a little cooler, I hardly perceive any difference, at least in Delhi heat in summers (we own a white and a black).

But, I can easily say, in the looks department, nothing beats the black.

OT: I can already predict the winning color of 2019. Its orange!!!

White and silver color cars are indeed cooler, they also have a effect on fuel economy but only 2%, link below.

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver...rs-cooler.html

In colder western countries, the black color car gives them additional free heating.

Last edited by aim120 : 17th January 2019 at 16:13.
Old 17th January 2019, 16:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Recently when changing my car, I was considering Silver Compass(as it looked the best to me for Compass). Red looked garish. Would you buy a Ferrari red X3 or lemon yellow Mercedes E Class? Colors and looks are relative, and only sales number can reflect the majority preference. Enthusiast maintained cars aside, ever looked a bright red/blue or black car after two years? Those glaring scratches, swirl marks and oxidation makes it look like a 10 year old car. I have a white and another Garnet red Innova and its a royal pain to keep the latter tidy.
Well, it's your choice and I respect that. We have a silver Alto and a silver Dzire in our family, a Dark grey Indica Vista, and the one I drive - a green Chevy Beat (and you say red is Garish ).

Of the lot, Alto is very poorly maintained (read not maintained at all) and Dzire is the most well maintained. Honestly, both look equally old; as old at they looked when we drove them out of the showroom the first time. No one gave those brand new cars a second look. Same is true about that silver Polo I was talking about. We only came to know that it is a new car when we saw a Panditji doing pooja on it!

I also find it very strange, when a report say Indians prefer silver due to ease of maintenance and then other report says Indians prefer Beige interiors.
Old 17th January 2019, 17:05   #20
BHPian

Where does light gold colour stand in this discussion?
For example, Titanium beige of Vento, White Gold of Aspire, Imperial beige of Santro etc.

The colour looks good to me. How will the golden colour be in long term in terms of maintenance, fading etc.?
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 17:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It look great in Silver, but does it look best in silver?
Silver is a colour you choose if you don't want to be noticed, the maintenance is an added advantage. It's obviously a colour one will not choose if they want the car to look attractive.

Some not-so-young-in-age folk like me like it that way I like Jeep and Volkswagen's cars in silver (except Jetta). Only car I wouldn't have bought in silver is the S-Cross, I wonder where they picked that shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Where does light gold colour stand in this discussion?
It was one of the popular choice for Corolla (before Altis). F10D WagonR, 1st gen i10 had them. This shade was discontinued in the subsequent facelifts.
Old 17th January 2019, 18:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:

But Silver? I am yet to see a car on which (among all color choices available on that car) silver looks the best.
Silver colour on new EcoSport S looks awesome, please find the attached picture for reference.

It doesn't have any chrome on the exterior. Also, black and silver combination makes car stance aggressive, IMO.

It was tough choice between Red and Silver, I chose latter one. I am not defending my choice but the car has been given many praise in this colour.

Pic. Source: Google images

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-1547728175397.jpg  

RedStallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 20:09   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

My favorite is White, the first few vehicles were white and then came across a vehicle which although available in white wont look good at all if bought in white.

I love putting in the extra effort to keep a white vehicle clean and shiny, it is worth it. The color tend to give a bit of extra road presence to certain vehicles - Only if its clean & shiny though.

From my observation, it is also a very safe color at night, I tend to spot other colored vehicles a bit later than white and light silver vehicles, so certainly it works the same way for a lot of others as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 20:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Compass looks great to me in Silver, black roof takes thing to next level. While for many cars silver does look boring, lot of people prefer sober colors and silver is easy to maintain(second only to white).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
Silver colour on new EcoSport S looks awesome, please find the attached picture for reference.
Also, black and silver combination makes car stance aggressive!
I would add Nexon to that list.

For Reference -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Nexon Color Choice Process
New Orange, Red and Blue looked amazing but too Loud and catchy for our liking.
Grey was the first option, but found it too dark. It subdued the Butch effect of the Black claddings and bumpers.
Although White is the color of choice for SUVs - the Prados, Land Cruisers, Range Rovers, Pajeros, somehow the White doesn't gel in the front look so well in the Nexon
Silver is Quiet and Decent, just what we needed. I feel it brings out the Best SUV look of the Nexon, bringing out the beauty of all its black claddings and white ceramic belt and borders in the Most SUBTLE manner. Thus we Chose Silver.
The Black and Silver combination in Nexon is really good, and it grows on you.
White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-screenshot_20190117204733_gallery.jpg
Quote:
Enthusiast maintained cars aside, ever looked a bright red/blue or black car after two years? Those glaring scratches, swirl marks and oxidation makes it look like a 10 year old car.
White and Silver cars Age really well. Years on and on, you don't get bored of looking at them.
Flashy and Dark Colors look very attractive when New, but majority of the folks (Sans Enthusiasts) get bored of them in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Silver is a colour you choose if you don't want to be noticed, the maintenance is an added advantage.

Some not-so-young-in-age folk like me like it that way
Same opinion mate.
Even die-hard White fans who have an Old white car seem to prefer Silver as the next choice.
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 23:21   #25
BHPian

Nice data, European roads are so monotonous when it comes to car colours. Indians are probably the most colourful. Red, blue, red-black combo, chrome and dual tones.

Less popular shades stand out from the crowd. Now those who desire to stand out may know where to look at. The lowest here are Purple and Yellow, what are they, Nano and Brezza may be. Ever wondered we don’t have cars in Pink ?
Old 17th January 2019, 23:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Ever wondered we don’t have cars in Pink ?
They are rare, but they are there. E.g Zen Estilo, Tata Nano, I think some limited edition of the Alto 800 also had it a while back.
porsche_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 08:17   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
black roof takes thing to next level
Yeah man . A white or silver car with a black roof looks deadly. Add some nice after-market rims and it looks even deadlier!

Quote:
silver is easy to maintain(second only to white).
In my experience, silver is actually easier to maintain than white:

1. On silver cars, scratches are easily hidden.

2. It's very easy to paint-match a silver car if any panel needs to be repainted. That's not the case with white as the older panels would have gotten a bit yellow with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
European roads are so monotonous when it comes to car colours.
As an Indian who loves colours, I find parts of Europe very boring, bland and colourless. Example, the UK (of course, its weather doesn't help either). Likewise with Berlin - have been there thrice and it was depressingly dark & colourless. The evenings were horrible.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 08:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can understand that color choice is a personal one - some people like white color, some black. Fine.

But Silver? I am yet to see a car on which (among all color choices available on that car) silver looks the best.
As you yourself have said, color is an incredibly personal choice, and that choice is irrespective of age or maturity. Nothing wrong with red, its bold and in-your-face, me personally? I wouldn't take a car free if it came in red or if someone PAID me to take it, everything that I use or need on a daily basis has zero red in it, be it ties, pens, shoes etc. I cannot stand the sight of red even though I'm as young and immature as I can get.. guess we all get influenced by our families as well, we learn and go by their preferences to begin with.

Cars? For me its either silver, or lustre grey. White (to me) has become a cabbie exclusive (no offense), black is great but poor outer visibility at night+real hard to maintain. Silver is the best color to go unnoticed, literally camouflage the car and at the same time not maintain it so frequently as well. I use cars as point A - B, business/social tools and while I like to keep them pristine mechanically, the washing and wiping is literally zero, like once in 10 days now, and silver appears clean for at least 6-7 days, which is exactly what I need.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 08:30   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Metallic Silver is my favorite color of choice for any cars. Its neutral, yet can look elegant and sporty at the same time. If you look at the featured car in any of the premium car website, it will be in silver

The only white shade I like is the Mini’s Pepper white shade.

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-mini-capture2.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 10:04   #30
BHPian

In my experience, dealerships always push for the white and the silver shade.

This could be one of the reasons why these colour shades are always on the top of charts.

P.S. When I had inquired about blue shade in the creta, the dealership asked 100 k booking amount. They only charge 30 k in case of any other shade. (Orange was also the exception.)

Last edited by RedStallion : 18th January 2019 at 10:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks