Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:01   #1411
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Thanks GTO!
A mini review! more than enough points for a new car buyer.

I personally feel Hector will find many takers. In India buying a car will always be a collective decision and with an ample rear legroom, we can see more chauffeur driven MG Hector.
Will all the bling Hector carries, Indian husbands will have tough time convincing their wife why not to buy a Hector

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd July 2019 at 19:12. Reason: typo
.HEM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:05   #1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hmmm....a marketing ploy to hype a product in this sluggish market. Definitely a HUMAN Thing

Indeed. The market is this sluggish that even if we take into account 11% growth per month for the rest of the year, still its gonna struggle to catch the numbers of last year's PV sales.
I totally agree with the comments mentioned above highlighting XUV500 & other such issues faced by OEs with the first batch of their vehicles. Quality no doubt is going to be an huge issue for a Chinese maker and Kia is all set to make the most of it.
After so much of success received by Chinese manufacturers in other domains, finally the real obligation they now going to face in this tough-to-crack Indian car market.
No doubt they are humans too (along with their internet inside car) & made a huge mistake by stopping bookings at this time & perhaps the reason why their market head switched to other OE.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd July 2019 at 20:57. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:16   #1413
BHPian

One thing a short review by GTO above proves that you cannot write off this chinese manufacturer. If they work on improving constantly, one step at a time then they will get there. My guess is that it might be even sooner than we think. No reason why a non enthusiast family should not pick this vehicle. It will be interesting to see their service levels and costs. I an only wish them good luck and Welcome to India.
manishkapadia is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:28   #1414
NTO
BHPian

Thank you for this amazing quick gist of the Hector. Great observations as always. I agree with all your points. Especially, the clutch feels heavier than the compass and has a sharp bite point. It is easy to stall the car in the first few times. This could be a deal breaker who go a lot in bumper to bumper traffic. However, the inherent torque of the big diesel makes things easier to drive with one pedal (the clutch alone) in the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• There is enough of a gap between the clutch & brake pedals to put in a 4th pedal!!! They’re that far apart. No issues during driving though. I didn’t notice this until I looked.
I found this comfortable with my 12 size shoes. The pedal placement especially felt like a boon. I found it very uncomfortable to drive with my shoes on when the pedals are placed close. I am forced to drive barefoot on my Punto and Vento is still difficult but, not as bad as the Punto.
NTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:56   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Tyres look small for all that body bulk... I wouldn’t go over 17” wheels for India and think the rims are the perfect size, but wish they’d gone for larger tyres. Thicker & taller tyres (sidewall) would’ve helped.
This is exactly my backup plan in case I go for the Hector-- Fatter tyres with thicker sidewalls!

I will be buying a new SUV for myself next year and at this moment the Seltos is at Numero Uno position. However, if I don't get the GT Line with DCT and all the bels and whistles, I am not taking the plunge. And in that case, I may have a dekko at the petrol top-end automatic Hector. If I am still not able to convince myself, I shall continue to wait for the all new Creta and the Grand Vitara.

P.S. The hunt for a new SUV began in 2018-end but no car has so far ticked all the check boxes for me.
captain.torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 19:14   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

Great short review, GTO. Couple of questions:

Surprising that the clutch is hard. Does it have the tendency to stall that's observed on the Compass and Harrier with this engine/gearbox combination?
Also, is there enough space int he wheel wells for a tire upgrade to 237/17?
Does it pass the second gear speed-breaker test?
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:08   #1417
BHPian

When the automakers are scratching their heads and complaining about the sluggish auto industry growth, products like MG Hector and Kia Seltos (Even Hyundai Venue gets 45K bookings) shows them where the customer preference is shifting. Indian auto buyers are now matured and welcome any products if they offer value for the money paid .

Seems MG Hector is promising. Thank You GTO for your quick insight
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:36   #1418
BHPian

Adding an Auto review I found on YouTube
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:48   #1419
BHPian

I feel Creta is not suitable to be called as a competitor for Hector and Harrier. It has a much smaller cabin and lacks the road presence( looks more like a hatchback). It matches the competition because of it's exorbitant pricing
Storm2.0 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 22:35   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I feel Creta is not suitable to be called as a competitor for Hector and Harrier. It has a much smaller cabin and lacks the road presence( looks more like a hatchback). It matches the competition because of it's exorbitant pricing
I agree with your point regarding the overhype of the Creta. We Indians love over-sized hatches being marketed as SUV with limited to no true SUV capabilities like off roading, 4x4, sporty engines, etc. This is because there is a void in the Market in this segment which is only why Brezza and Creta managed to put up those many numbers on the board. Cars like MG Hector meets more of our Indian ego that tends to fall for "bigger is better" as MG has provided that in abundance, in terms of size and the bells and whistles.
I welcome these introductions in this market, hope to see the customers benefit from the competition.
haisaikat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:44   #1421
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Surprising that the clutch is hard.
It's annoying firm in traffic.

Quote:
Does it have the tendency to stall that's observed on the Compass and Harrier with this engine/gearbox combination?
I stalled it just once, when I intentionally dropped the revs too low to see how much I can lug the engine.

Quote:
Does it pass the second gear speed-breaker test?
Yes. If it comes to an absolute crawl on a tall hump, you might need to slip the clutch just a wee bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I feel Creta is not suitable to be called as a competitor for Hector and Harrier.
It might be smaller, but it is still the segment leader, the most well-rounded and the fastest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
We Indians love over-sized hatches being marketed as SUV with limited to no true SUV capabilities like off roading, 4x4, sporty engines, etc.
Nothing Indian about it. Crossovers & SUVs are the rage the world over. And frankly, as an offroader myself, I'll tell you that 4x4 is for <1% of customers out there.

What Crossovers & SUVs offer over sedans is the style, space, taller seating position etc. (note = I'm more of a sedan person).
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:00   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Weird out-of-proportion side profile reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek!
C'mon man now I can't unsee it, and have to strike this car off of my list!

Thanks for the great insights, nice vehicle for the overall family, but definitely not for the enthusiasts.

Waiting for the Seltos, hope KIA doesn't disappoint!

Last edited by Parth46 : 23rd July 2019 at 09:02.
Parth46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:24   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this is their act one, all I can say is, they’ll be rocking in another 10 – 15 years. Don’t forget that Hyundai was a joke in the 1990s; the Korean company is a quality-leader today. My 2 main problems with the Hector are design + soggy handling. First one is easy to fix, second takes time & maturity.
I did not understand when you say 'act one' (may be in Indian context?). What about their other cars they have internationally, like the MG ZS. Those cars (some of which were displayed in India) seemed more cohesive and evolved (also premium) in terms of design. I was really impressed with those cars and had developed high expectation about MG's first offering here but Hector is a bit of a let down.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:16   #1424
BHPian

I am waiting for the launch of Seltos to take a decision on my next road companion. My kids are going 'gaga' over the panoramic sunroof they have seen in Hector. But I am bit skeptical about it. I know that this add some sophisticated parts to your car, but more concerning for me is a question in my mind 'whether the panoramic sunroof compromises on the rigidity of the vehicle?'

Can anybody put some light on my concern?
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:32   #1425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
My kids are going 'gaga' over the panoramic sunroof they have seen in Hector.
Make sure you park away from the coconut trees!
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks