Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 14:01   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
In city conditions in normal traffic the MG DCT returned a respectable 11+ kmpl, both times on the test vehicle as per the MID (pls excuse the pic quality). This for me at least, puts my mind to rest and in-line with my expectations.
11+ kpl on the MID could be easily +/- 3 kpl when measured in tankful approach. We dont know how optimistic the MID on the Hector is
Recent Tata vehicles have been optimistic by +3 (Check the Nexon thread)...
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 14:33   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
11+ kpl on the MID could be easily +/- 3 kpl when measured in tankful approach. We dont know how optimistic the MID on the Hector is
Recent Tata vehicles have been optimistic by +3 (Check the Nexon thread)...
I do not know about others but I have 3 TATA cars in my house and one as recent as only 6 months old. I can vouch that the MID average mileage number in practice if 0.5 to 1 kmpl lower than the actual FE on a tankful method.

While I understand that the average FE number on MID may not be accurate, I do feel it is generally not off by 25-30% from the actual FE, IMHO.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 14:38   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know about others but I have 3 TATA cars in my house and one as recent as only 6 months old. I can vouch that the MID average mileage number in practice if 0.5 to 1 kmpl lower than the actual FE on a tankful method.

While I understand that the average FE number on MID may not be accurate, I do feel it is generally not off by 25-30% from the actual FE, IMHO.
The observation on MID being off by 20% is absolutely correct for Nexon. My Diesel Nexon always behaves this way. Although, this was not the case with my Zest XMA which was fairly accurate (like you said).

However, from your signature, i see that you own Tiago and Tigor as well. From what in know, Tiago also suffer from the optimistic MID syndrome. I don't know how you have not experienced this on your car.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 14:47   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
The observation on MID being off by 20% is absolutely correct for Nexon. My Diesel Nexon always behaves this way. Although, this was not the case with my Zest XMA which was fairly accurate (like you said).

However, from your signature, i see that you own Tiago and Tigor as well. From what in know, Tiago also suffer from the optimistic MID syndrome. I don't know how you have not experienced this on your car.
Tarik, both the Tiago & Tigor are petrols and I reset the trip meter on each tankful. Even though the starting FE for first 100km is quite erratic due to the smaller base, it quickly over a 150km+ trip reading settles to a number which is generally stable.

While TD of Hector also I saw this number for first 6-7km was around 12kmpl and towards the end settled to 11.2, however, I do agree that it could have some deviations, however, most likely should not be in the range of being anything under 9kmpl.

Also this is with 'normal' traffic and I guess that definition is also subjective from person to person. So best look at this with a pinch of salt, but until we get someone in the forum who manages to get a delivery and test it out this is the best we can hope for!

Shout-out again to the moderators, when can we see the Tbhp official review?

Last edited by AGwagon : 5th July 2019 at 15:02.
AGwagon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 16:20   #1175
BHPian

Quote:

Shout-out again to the moderators, when can we see the Tbhp official review?

+1 to this, I'm sure there are a LOT of people who are waiting for this.

@GTO - Any hint on this will be wonderful

Oh and please do review the Petrol auto too as max bookings are for it, no-one else has done it (due to unavailability during media drives i guess)
Old 5th July 2019, 18:29   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Congrats! What is the waiting period being quoted for the same right now?

Did you get a chance to take it on the open roads? How does it perform in decent speeds?

At start stop traffic for me, the low end turbo lag was sad, but once the turbo kicked in the acceleration was decent.
Waiting period quoted is 3 months but I believe it will not go above that. Absolutely the turbo lag is well present but I think we can get accustomed to that and it will not be big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
As far my understanding Goes, that 2.0L Diesel engine, borrowed from Fiat, is already BS-VI compliant.

Think the reason why they are telling it as BS-IV compliant maybe because (a) the 1.5 Turbo Petrol may not be BS-VI compliant even though Diesel is already compliant; and (b) They want to ensure to have the opportunity for price increase as they are giving out BS-VI compliant car in BS-IV sales market and thus have reduced the price to remain competitive against existing players who all are selling BS-IV right now.

Congratulations on your big buy!!!

I am waiting for an adjustable-7 seater + Diesel AMT combo version before I can consider buying it. IMO, the size of the vehicle really warrants a 2+3+2 seating arrangement with the flexibility to bring down Last row seats. For me buying it in its current 5 seater Variant is kind of just overpaying for 5 seats and I wouldn't want to go anything north of 10L. If the car is for the family it makes sense to go with 7 seater flexi arrangement.

Also, no news so far of any AMT, AT, CVT for the diesel variants. Given how many Ladies drive SUVs (at-least in NCR) and the comparatively low-FE of Petrol Variants, MG should seriously consider bringing in an AMT for its diesel variants at-least. I expect CVT or AT to be much costlier and even-though reliability of CVT or AT would be good but I can live with an AMT for low cost no-nonsense approach.
I think we will have some after market fitment for last row as slot for third row and seatbelt are already there, but yes its not a show stopper for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
+1 to this, I'm sure there are a LOT of people who are waiting for this.

@GTO - Any hint on this will be wonderful

Oh and please do review the Petrol auto too as max bookings are for it, no-one else has done it (due to unavailability during media drives i guess)
Very much needed.
vineet1712 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 09:43   #1177
BHPian

Quote:

While TD of Hector also I saw this number for first 6-7km was around 12kmpl and towards the end settled to 11.2, however, I do agree that it could have some deviations, however, most likely should not be in the range of being anything under 9kmpl.
12 is highly impressive. Thanks AGwagon. Anyone else with similar observations?
Old 7th July 2019, 01:53   #1178
BHPian

ok this is what I could manage in my 20 some kms on the hector TD pic attached. Please note this test was done on the highway. The steering which was super light in the city drive did weigh up on the highway, but man that initial lag on the petrol auto is really pathetic.

I still couldnt upload the panel gap video as it is close to half a GB on my phone, I will, when I get back home. The ride quality was good, the seat comfort / cushioning was really good and this is coming from someone who has a L4-L5, L5-S1 disc bulge.

The rain sensing wipers didnt work on this car either. On and the sports mode is useless, it kept shifting down a gear when it was not required.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_20190706_144836.jpg  

sreejinair is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 06:11   #1179
Senior - BHPian

The instant mileage numbers are not accurate, drive for at least 10-15 kms to get correct numbers. I had tried this method when I bought WR-V petrol variant, was able to achieve ARAI numbers comfortably.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-review-6.html (Honda WR-V : Official Review)
Old 7th July 2019, 07:05   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
The rain sensing wipers didnt work on this car either. On and the sports mode is useless, it kept shifting down a gear when it was not required.
I believe the rain sensing wipers not working is a niggle/ blip that MG need to attend. These are premium features that should work as advertised. Imagine being forced to stop in rains for the wipers not working.

The company is lucky to walk away on TBHP despite these issues .
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 08:29   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a possibility that we are not operating the automatic rain sensing wipers properly? What I mean to say is that even though the word is "automatic" and hence one expects that they will start coming into action at the slightest drop of water, but in reality you need to activate the feature when you encounter rain. There is a button to activate the feature ( Its located in the stalk for the wiper blades in my 320d) and then the function works the way it is supposed to. Can members who have brought this issue up, confirm that they did indeed activate the feature in the first place?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 09:43   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
These are premium features that should work as advertised. Imagine being forced to stop in rains for the wipers not working.
You wont have to stop in the rain, if the automatic rain sensor doesnt work, you can always start the wipers manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can members who have brought this issue up, confirm that they did indeed activate the feature in the first place?
Yes the feature was activated by setting it to auto. Since it wasnt doing what it was supposed to, I just put it to LO manually.

Did I mention that the vehicle keeps beeping if you cross 120 kmph. It doenst stop after a few beeps, it beeps until you go below 120 kmph. Its not loud, but can get annoying very soon. The sales guy said it will beep a couple of times when you cross 80 and then continuosly after you cross 120. Per him it cant be turned off, can anyone confirm if they have this annoying feature in their car and can it be turned off?
sreejinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 09:57   #1183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Did I mention that the vehicle keeps beeping if you cross 120 kmph. It doenst stop after a few beeps, it beeps until you go below 120 kmph. Its not loud, but can get annoying very soon. The sales guy said it will beep a couple of times when you cross 80 and then continuosly after you cross 120. Per him it cant be turned off, can anyone confirm if they have this annoying feature in their car and can it be turned off?
It seems you haven't noticed this thread yet. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ly-2019-a.html (Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019)

It's a mandatory feature and it can't be turned off as per government directive. And I feel it's a welcome move.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 11:51   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the rant, but it worries me that people in the country are going ga ga over a Baojun and are more than willing to cut it slack. We have an automotive tradition that’s as great, and hasn’t been built on plagiarism. It’s come up the hard way.

The Chinese will rule us soon.

Last edited by GTO : 8th July 2019 at 07:35. Reason: Do NOT TROLL on Team-BHP
Steeroid is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 12:45   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the rain sensing wipers not working is a niggle/ blip that MG need to attend. These are premium features that should work as advertised. Imagine being forced to stop in rains for the wipers not working.

Hi. from what I have noticed about auto rain sensing wipers is that they always come with manual override and have sensitivity levels. I have experienced this numerous times in different vehicles with similar feature. Even with sensitivity set to highest the setup takes a little bit of time to react. Also in light shower it may not react at all.
psbali is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks