Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2019, 11:13   #1486
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Is it possible to install a bigger, wider tire in the car? The rims are fine since harrier also comes with small rims but it has decent sized tires that fill the wheel well nicely, so it looks proportional, this doesn't. Looks sorta funny from the side, tbh.

I ask because the car has loads of complex electronics, will they malfunction upon detecting a different section tire?

IMO, this car just cannot rid itself of its slightly MPV stance but it can improve it's situation a lot, with bigger tires.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 11:50   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
MG India has revealed that they have updated the stock tyres on board the Sharp variant. Until now, the stock tyres which were offered, were Goodyear Assurance. These will now be freely upgraded to Continental Max Contact MC5.

Although, Hectors already delivered with Goodyear tyres, will not be eligible for this upgrade.
I was just checking online Conti's Max Contact 5 doesn't come in R17 and is not a SUV grade tyre.

My guess it that these should be Continental Cross Contact LX2 tires as these are rated for crossover XUVs which are not AT and not XL tires so will fit what an OE would like to fit. These do come in 215 60R17, as is the standard size for Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Is it possible to install a bigger, wider tire in the car? The rims are fine since harrier also comes with small rims but it has decent sized tires that fill the wheel well nicely, so it looks proportional, this doesn't. Looks sorta funny from the side, tbh.

I ask because the car has loads of complex electronics, will they malfunction upon detecting a different section tire?

IMO, this car just cannot rid itself of its slightly MPV stance but it can improve it's situation a lot, with bigger tires.
As long as the PCD can be maintained IMO do not think it should make a difference.

Last edited by AGwagon : 30th July 2019 at 11:57. Reason: Adding to the Post
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 13:32   #1488
BHPian

Some documents related to the maintenance schedule and plans
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MG Shield Protect Plans.pdf (855.5 KB, 1067 views)
File Type: pdf AS_INFO - 012 - MG Hector Periodic Maintenance schedule.pdf (289.7 KB, 3609 views)
File Type: pdf MG SHIELD FAQs.pdf (530.2 KB, 7594 views)
File Type: pdf MG_Shield Brochure.PDF (6.66 MB, 539 views)
Pulse500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 16:18   #1489
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Hector in red colour really up close. A brand new piece with garlands etc in office parking. Fittingly, it was parked right between a Creta, XUV500 & a Nexon. didn't click any pictures due to privacy concerns. None of the owners were there.

The car certainly looks "more car" compared to the Creta in size for the money spent. Although, I somehow can't look at it as just 1 car! Its design doesn't work cohesively and each angle makes it look like a different car. Its as if 2-3 cars have merged into 1 form. Rear is overdone with bling in my opinion (and I'm saying that when it was standing besides a Nexon!).

The car sure needs larger wheels & certainly fatter tyres. No doubt about it. It looked really rickety on its stock setup. Reminded me of the old Toyota Qualis that always seemed as if it was running on Omni's wheels. I hope MG changes this somehow. Won't be easy now since there are already customers with this setup who'll get offended otherwise. Harrier also runs smaller wheels, but it doesn't look like this thankfully due to the wider & taller tyres.

But for owners, I really feel a tyre upgrade should be the 1st item in the list.
Overall seems nice & has good presence no doubt. Doesn't have the butch appeal like a Harrier or the XUV500 though. They are surely going to be more of head-turners over time compared to the Hector. It looks more sober and doesn't have much unique features when it comes to looks. Something is missing. Not able to pin-point what. Or maybe something is just too much! Don't know.

And really - the sooner the "Internet Inside" badge goes, the better. Its just too much! I'm sure almost all bhpians will debadge this one.

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th July 2019 at 16:39.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 16:41   #1490
Distinguished - BHPian

Acceleration test Harrier versus Hector from latest Autocar mag. This is for the Diesel manuals of each car. No surprise that Hector is more than a second faster to 100 KPMH considering the power difference. Hector does it in 11.16 seconds versus the Harrier’s 12.24 seconds. However in-gear acceleration seems to be better on the Harrier on both 20-80 and 40-100 runs
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-ba97309755374476941bbb6908f66b6f.jpeg  

84.monsoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:02   #1491
BHPian

Looks like Hector has breakdown after the delivery.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st July 2019 at 11:56. Reason: typo corrected
arungeorge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:15   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
Some documents related to the maintenance schedule and plans
Unable to open these. I get an error saying damaged and unable to open. Tried in Adobe and Preview apps in Mac OS. Can you please check if its opening for you?
Old 31st July 2019, 10:42   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Unable to open these. I get an error saying damaged and unable to open. Tried in Adobe and Preview apps in Mac OS. Can you please check if its opening for you?
You can download from their website, Link below.

https://www.mgmotor.co.in/service
arungeorge is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:56   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
I had posted all of these a while back in this thread along with my analysis on what should be the best option IMO.
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:58   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this to my notice. It appears that the uploaded files (total 8.3MB) get corrupt each time either in transit or on the server.

Uploaded again and downloaded via preview. Same issue!

PM me your email ID, will send you via email.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:06   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Looks like Hector has brake down after the delivery.
I think 3rd or 4th breakdown news/video so far, anyway can you give us any details please. I could hear "kuch smell aari thi"

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st July 2019 at 13:29. Reason: video link removed
Old 31st July 2019, 12:35   #1497
BHPian

Not sure if somebody had already posted the official accessories list. Tried attaching the same here I got from the dealer along with pricing. But can't due to size restrictions. Anyways, I found that it's already up on the official site as well. Below is the link. Not sure if the prices listed are way over the 3rd party market.

https://www.mgmotor.co.in/content/da...s_Brochure.pdf
GearHeadGarage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:19   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I think 3rd or 4th breakdown news/video so far, anyway can you give us any details please. I could hear "kuch smell aari thi"
When I went for a test drive of MG hector, it was showing airbag error on the console. On asking the sales guy, he told me it's due to rough usage of test drive car. I could not say anything after that.

I am planning to buy this and have done the priority booking despite seeing that error myself.
Now I am thinking otherwise.

It's better to wait for sometime before we put our TDS salary on this . Also, too many internet options and stress on too many features degrade a good product. We remember the initial niggles with the electronics that we had with XUV.

Do we have any long term ownership record of the original product 530 ? I tried googling but couldn't find. It'll be better if we find some good quality long term review on the original product. That will add good value to this thread and will help us people in making a decision.
turbo_delight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 08:15   #1499
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Mohamed Shafeeq for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I got a mail from the MG office today regarding the delivery of my car. I booked the Hector about a month ago. It seems they have started sending emails regarding the delivery of the vehicle to all customers. I just thought of sharing this update with you. Thanks.
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190731170351.png
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 08:42   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Good that there is adequate communication from MG to customers. Consistent updates till delivery will go a long way in establishing trust; especially since the booking queues are long in case of Hector.

Sorry for nitpicking; but for a brand that preaches its British pedigree, they could have put a bit more effort to those sentences. Somehow I sense a bit of awkwardness in those sentences.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks