Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 17:23   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which trends do you hate in modern cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Here in India, most of the new car launches have omitted Black color entirely from their line-up and has introduced the candy/funky colors like Orange, Green, etc.
Way to go India, always much more colourful than the rest of the world!

https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...so-boring-now/

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/it-...oring-colours/

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st November 2018 at 17:33.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 17:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
2. Chrome plastering. All the new Honda cars have that disgusting solid chrome bar at the front
Very Bright DRLs,....
Add to that the Chrome door handles on top variants. I feel they look pathetic on any variant and in fact it should have been the other way. It should have been body colored for higher variants as they appear seamless. This one always makes me scratch my head and not get any answer.

DRLs - Latest useless fad.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 17:50   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why do you say that AT cars are adding to the growth of traffic jams? I would say that the indiscriminate addition to the vehicle population PLUS poor roads, badly maintained and poorly driven commercial and public transport vehicles coupled with the viscerally terrible indiscipline on the part of most drivers, are the main contributors.
All those factors also definitely contribute to traffic, BUT they also inhibit the smooth motion of an automatic. They are often caught in the wrong gear going about roundabouts or after broken patches of roads obviously these are due to the fact that some idiot in front of the automatic would have been driving stupidly around the round-a-bout or the road might have been bad but as soon as the situation changes, unless you are in manual mode or you want maximum acceleration, an automatic car will not accelerate out of the situation in the most ideal manner and this means that the person behind's reaction is further delayed, and the person behind that person is delayed and so on and so forth, adding to traffic woes. The fact of the matter is, that in a country as bad as ours, the roads are not predictable and thus an automatic is bound to get it wrong a lot of times and those few seconds here and there get compounded if you understand the fact that a car can only move ahead once the car in front of it has done so.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Touchscreen HUs. Bane when driving, only there to look cool. Makes me involuntarily reach out to it sometimes, though having steering mounted controls help
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:57   #50
BHPian

One thing I hate the most in these recent launches is missing clean lines. How I wish they bring in more cars with designs similar to VW Polo or the Freelander.

Every other manufacturer is busy making their cars to look so futuristic that sometimes I feel like they are losing the character.
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 20:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
All those factors also definitely contribute to traffic, BUT they also inhibit the smooth motion of an automatic. They are often caught in the wrong gear going about roundabouts or after broken patches of roads obviously these are due to the fact that some idiot in front of the automatic would have been driving stupidly around the round-a-bout or the road might have been bad but as soon as the situation changes, unless you are in manual mode or you want maximum acceleration, an automatic car will not accelerate out of the situation in the most ideal manner and this means that the person behind's reaction is further delayed, and the person behind that person is delayed and so on and so forth, adding to traffic woes. The fact of the matter is, that in a country as bad as ours, the roads are not predictable and thus an automatic is bound to get it wrong a lot of times and those few seconds here and there get compounded if you understand the fact that a car can only move ahead once the car in front of it has done so.
One is only as fast as the slowest car in front of one...thats the bottom line.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 20:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

I hate 2 things:
1. AMTs- a transmission that isn't smooth or responsive. Whatever I say, they are here to stay because of the market which focuses on low cost, fuel efficient automatics.
2. [This is not yet mainstream] Speed warning buzzers. Here's my post on another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
A friend went on a road trip to Mysore on his new Ciaz AT. Needless to say, he was irritated while and after driving.

Knowing the sedate driver he is, I know he would never exceed 100 kmph. But he tells he was so irritated after his trip as he had to continuously hear 2 beeps a minute while cruising at 80-90 kmph. He is now considering going to his local accessory shop to disable this.

I feel sorry for owners who have to put up with this system. I'm not against regulation to control speeding. I wouldn't be complaining if the system was:
1. One beep after 80kmph. (Just one beep, absolutely no repeating)
2. Continuous beeping at >130kmph. (Give drivers a bit of margin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Shrinking fuel tanks (e.g. Amaze with its 35-liter fuel tank!). Is this to save weight or for packaging?
I don't see that as a hindrance at all. 35 liters is good for about 500 km in the city and over 750 km on the highway. With our road conditions, I'd keep checking my air pressure at those distance intervals in city/highway conditions.

Quote:
- Manuals disappearing from the luxury cars. I still miss the driving experience of my C220 with its 6-speed MT.
Bound to happen. In the next gen Fortuner, we may only see one MT variant-the 4x4 with the bigger diesel engine.
landcruiser123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 23:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

My list:

Downsized engines.
Too flashy aesthetics, not clean and timeless.
Odd sized spare wheel and rim.
Gaudy / large grills
3 cylinder engines
Chrome overdose
Needles for fuel level and temperature
Rahul Bhalgat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 23:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

I hate two new trends:

Electric Cars: I know this is a losing battle but I can't stand hybrids or electric cars. Sadly, the days of IC engines are numbered and we're coming to place where we need more wall sockets in our house than anything else! You'll need to charge your phone, IoT smart things, gadgets, any other fancy electronic item and also your car. Yeah, welcome the perennially plugged in future!

Digital Instrument Clusters: I like the hybrid ones where it's part LCD and part real metres. But slapping an iPad on the dashboard and calling it an instrument cluster is sacrilege.
Which trends do you hate in modern cars?-mercedesbenzgle2020102470.jpg
And Mercedes is the worst of them all - slaps 2 iPads that stick out like a sore thumb and call it a day.
swiftdiesel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:17   #55
BHPian

One major constraint that I see that manufacturers encounter is the 4 meter length constraint. I seriously can't understand what this length restriction can achieve.Is the government saying cars over 4 meters, say by 30 cm, would make a difference to the traffic? This would give the freedom for manufacturers to design cars with better leg room etc.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:55   #56
BHPian

Cars are becoming devices rather than remaining cars. Surely Nicholas Cage or Vin Diesel won't be admiring today's cars as compared to the way they orgasmed over yester year's cars.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:07   #57
A M
BHPian

1. Smaller engines (Downsized and lesser cylinders)

2. Sub 4m rule

3. Constantly buzzing speed warnings

4. Touch sensitive controls everywhery

5. Completely digital instrument clusters
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:08   #58
BHPian

Here's what i detest in modern day cars / car scene :
  1. 1.2 Ltr Petrol Engines enjoying excise benefits, this has lead to a complete lack of character in the hatch segment, there's simply no room for stand out performance.
  2. Sub 4m sedans and hatchbacks - could there be a recall of this rule too, too many ugly toads on the roads
  3. Touch screen infotainment systems with no physical buttons
  4. Wafer thin sheet metal, this is progressively being taken up by every manufacturer.
  5. Feather light EPS
  6. Family look among cars of the same manufacturer, this is just taken to ridiculous levels by some manufacturers - Honda , Volkswagen. Please invest some time and money in cars that dont look like each other.
  7. Engine sharing amongst different cars of the same manufacturer. What is adequate for one car is grossly inadequate for another - Eg 1.2 ltr petrol in i10 and i20, 1.4 ltr in i20 and Verna
  8. Space Saver spare wheel, can we call them cost cutting measures already, instead of the stupid " space saver "
  9. Automatics not available in top trims
  10. AMT
  11. Chrome, and chrome accessories on top of the already high chrome dose. We're all going to go blind shortly.
The more i think about it the more i feel i am happier getting a bike than a new car
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:15   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
One major constraint that I see that manufacturers encounter is the 4 meter length constraint. I seriously can't understand what this length restriction can achieve.Is the government saying cars over 4 meters, say by 30 cm, would make a difference to the traffic? This would give the freedom for manufacturers to design cars with better leg room etc.
more than 10 years ago, the Government planned to reduce taxes on small cars...to make it more affordable to the masses, due to lack of good infrastructure and parking places, because small cars are supposedly more fuel efficient...whatever may be the reason.
More on whether it was a success or not is in the thread here (10 years of the Small Car rule (<4-metre, <1.2L petrol, <1.5L diesel) : Has India benefitted?)

But how do you define a small car? where do you draw a line? So 4mtrs length (and 1500cc of Diesel and 1200cc of Petrol engines) was fixed. fair enough I would say.

I don't think that the 4m rule is a constraint or a problem. It's the idea of creating a sedan in that 4m and cashing in on the people's aspirations of moving in a sedan which is the problem here. Hatchbacks in a 4m envelope will be good. Sedans in a 4m envelope result in contraptions called Compact sedans.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:31   #60
BHPian

Want to shift gears? How about you press a button.

Some newer Lincoln cars have buttons to press to shift from P to D to R! Arrrgggg...

Which trends do you hate in modern cars?-lincoln-gear-shift.png
OrangeCar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks