Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 15:29   #1
Team-BHP Support

Renault employees steal two brand new Dusters from Chennai plant. Replace them with used cars!

Two Renault Nissan technicians have been arrested for stealing two brand new Renault Dusters from the company’s manufacturing facility in Oragadam.

Quote:
Their modus operandi was simple. They forged gate passes, installed fake number plates and brought in two used cars into the company premises. The usual practice is that security guards note down registration number of vehicles coming in and going out of the plant. The duo then swapped the number plates of the old vehicles onto two brand new Duster SUVs and drove away with them.
Source

Quote:
“They knew that the security guards would only jot down the registration numbers and not take note of make of the vehicles when they left the parking lot,” the officer said. “So they entered the premises in two worn-out vehicles , put the fake number plates on new SUVs and made away with them"
Source

Thought provoking indeed - as the security system in most companies take note of the vehicle numbers, entry and exit timings only.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 15:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault employees steal two brand new Dusters from Chennai plant. Replace them with used cars!

I have not clicked on the Source but would like to know as to how was this fraud found out and how were the culprits nabbed?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 15:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault employees steal two brand new Dusters from Chennai plant. Replace them with used cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have not clicked on the Source but would like to know as to how was this fraud found out and how were the culprits nabbed?
Both those sources don't mention the exact nature of the investigations carried, but it sure has taken some time for the police to catch the suspects.

The incident has happened after January 7th and noticed by Renault India on the 22nd of Jan.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 17:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Both those sources don't mention the exact nature of the investigations carried, but it sure has taken some time for the police to catch the suspects... The incident has happened after January 7th and noticed by Renault India on the 22nd of Jan.
As far as my understanding of such big factories goes, the sequence on events could be :
  1. Every location in a factory has an in-charge/ responsible person who is required to monitor and report any irregular finding.
  2. The parked old cars would have been noticed by the in-charge and finding them parked for days, he would have reported to security.
  3. Security team finds out the owner/ responsible person for the car (or commodity).
  4. In this case, owner could not be located for obvious reasons, so security team would have scanned the CCTV footage and tracked the cars entering the premises (gate) at a particular date and time.
  5. Registration number of cars and faces of the drivers would have been taken from CCTV.
  6. With date, time, registration number and photo in hand, they would have tracked the driver from entry records (as only authorised persons are allowed to drive in premises)

Last edited by AutoNoob : 11th September 2018 at 17:20.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 17:34   #5
BANNED

If you read the article, you will know that they found out when the inventory check was done. It's possible the car was in their computer system but now physically missing, which they may have found out when the supposed car was allocated to a dealer.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th September 2018 at 08:16. Reason: Typo.
aim120 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 13:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault employees steal two brand new Dusters from Chennai plant. Replace them with used cars!

Quote:
Two Renault Nissan technicians have been arrested for stealing two brand new Renault Dusters from the company’s manufacturing facility in Oragadam.

Those must have been the stupidest thieves around! 7 years at their jobs, and then they threw it all away for the sake of stealing 2 Dusters!? And trying to sell them at less than half price!

I'm sure they never heard this song:
SS-Traveller is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 13:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault employees steal two brand new Dusters from Chennai plant. Replace them with used cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And trying to sell them at less than half price!
Even I found this strange - but then realized that they couldn't have sold these vehicles as used cars as well - unless they had created all the paperwork involved.

Still could have done better than 6 lakhs, I feel - not that I have any sort of personal experience with such stuff.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 14:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even I found this strange - but then realized that they couldn't have sold these vehicles as used cars as well - unless they had created all the paperwork involved.
Well, they'd have incurred costs too - to procure the used cars (I'm presuming those weren't old Dusters! - or were those stolen cars too?), and at the end of the day their profit margin would have been too low to make it worth the risk (and the present mess they are definitely in!).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 11:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Well, they'd have incurred costs too - to procure the used cars (I'm presuming those weren't old Dusters! - or were those stolen cars too?), and at the end of the day their profit margin would have been too low to make it worth the risk (and the present mess they are definitely in!).
Theoretically speaking, only what thiefs needed are two pair of fake number plates and two pair of forged gate passes. They can pull this stunt with or without a set of used car.

If they usually get in using another set of used cars, its much easier to pull the new cars out, as the security guards know these people come in Dusters, But they are less likely to bother as the number of times they exit the factory per day is high.

Few questions that came to my mind-
Any idea how many times stock verification happens within the factory? Hopefully the CCTV camera recordings are retained more than this frequency.
Assuming the new dusters were allocated to some dealer/prospective customer soon after production, why wasnt the theft come to notice earlier? How long a factory hold new vehicles inside normally?
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 12:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

Maybe they had applied for VRS

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...employees.html (Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees)
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 14:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

The theft happened on Jan 22 and VRS is the latest offering !
Old 14th September 2018, 15:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
The theft happened on Jan 22 and VRS is the latest offering !
i74js, looks you missed, these guys were from Personal department
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 02:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

In automobile industry, VRS will have a new definition, Vehicle Robbery Scheme!
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 07:55   #14
BHPian

It is quite surprising that such a big car manufacturing alliance does not have a proper system in place to thwart these type of frauds. The modus operandi sounds too simple to be true. May be there was an inside person with the security too. Even if those Dusters had been sold outside, the owners could have never serviced their cars in a Renault dealership. Warranty is out of question. And for just 6 lakh Rs, the risk definitely was not worth it.

Now that the missing Dusters have been found, what will Renault do? Check the cars and wholesale them to the dealers again? What if the cars had clocked some kms?
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks