Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:17   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019

It's just me - don't mind me at all.

But I'm sitting here thinking why do people even want to exceed 80 Kmph on our highways? In the major highways in Tamil Nadu at least, we don't have barricaded expressways and I've never felt comfortable beyond 80 Kmph. Not even if the view ahead was clear; it's the unknowns that i fear. Will a cow jump out of the bushes in the divider? A tractor? A milkman on his moped? Will a truck appear out of nowhere?

As it so happens, all these things happen now and then.

And one thing that always happens is that there'd be slower-than-a-bullfrog autorickhaws, Tata Aces and lorries blocking the lanes.

80 Kmph is fine for me, beeps or no. Maybe if i've driven on the Yamuna expressway, i'd say different things.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 08:33   #62
BHPian

What will be their plan of action for CBUs ?
Old 24th August 2018, 09:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
which cannot be switched off by the driver.
Now that will be annoying.

There was a speed alert feature on my old Fiat. You could set a alert in 10kmph increments or even turn it off if you found it annoying. Most cars have this feature today. Why could Maruti Suzuki not approach this in a similar manner? I sure hope there is some way to disable it at the ECU level. Worst case, find that little speaker (I hope it does not play off the main ICE speakers) and remove it.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th August 2018 at 09:17.
Old 24th August 2018, 09:26   #64
BHPian

Re: The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi Sairam, Can you try what i74js is suggesting? Let's see if it works.
Hi - I am not clear what needs to be done. Should i unlock the doors once auto lock is engaged? or Disable speed sensing auto lock?
Old 24th August 2018, 09:53   #65
BHPian

IMO having an alert at 80 Km/h is insanity. One alert is fine but having an alert every minute could be a distraction as well. On the funny side, it would generate more work for the FNG.
The great Indian Jugaad will prevail in this. Look at the no. of videos people have uploaded to install a headlight switch to disable Automatic Lights On for two-wheelers.
Whether it's inside the instrument cluster or anywhere else once someone decides to get rid of the speed alert it will be gone.
Educating the drivers and providing some traffic sense to the people who drive without helmets, on the wrong side of the road etc. would make the roads much safer rather than these cheap tricks that would not yield anything.

Last edited by sunilsoft : 24th August 2018 at 09:55. Reason: mistake
Old 24th August 2018, 12:24   #66
BHPian

Audible speed alerts are only one of the new norms getting implemented in the near future.

1. ABS, applicable fro April 2019 - that should be a plus point in 99% scenarios (except those rare cases where non-ABS might perform better - references available)

2. AIS 145 mandates the below points, applicable from July 2019
a. Driver airbag, for all passenger vehicles. Undoubtedly good. Even if the shell isn't of any use, the airbag may help at least 1%. Something is better than nothing.
b. RPAS - Rear Parking Alert System, which should be good in all scenarios.
c. SBR - Seat Belt Reminder, which is definitely good in all scenarios. Applies to both front seats. However, if one can ignore the beep (which will go on for a minute), or simply buckle the belt from behind, etc etc.
d. Over speeding alert - this is the one we're discussing in this thread. I'm sure there will be many ways of de-activating it/bypassing, etc. Personally, I feel 80kmph once a minute or 2 minutes is not ok. However, considering that less careful drivers do get drowsy, this alert may turn out to be good. For those who drown it out with music, my thinking may not even apply. Certainly, the 120kmph continuous beep is good, given that in today's condition, this may be a high enough speed for most conditions, if not all.
e. Manual Override for central locking - enough examples from floods & various fire accidents to prove that this one is good.

3. AIS 096 - Full frontal crash norms (applicability details are in the regulation document, lets just understand it as Small & Light Commercial Vehicles). Does little in terms of actual safety for the driver/co-driver. Again, I guess something is better than nothing.

4. AIS 098 - Offset Deformable Barrier crash test - this is the one we see most often in NCAP crash videos. This test is quite tough to pass. Makes the vehicle quite a bit safer than it would otherwise be, and is a welcome regulation. I'm not sure if a car meeting this requirement in India would be considered EQUALLY safe in Europe. Even assuming that the question paper is the same, the marks required for passing may be different. I do not know enough to comment on this.

Overall, mostly good moves. Implementation and adherence - entirely different discussion.

Other points I picked up in this thread were to do with road design & infra - anyone with even half a brain would agree that there is a lot of work that needs to be done there. A select few roads have been getting better, so perhaps there is some hope for the future.

Also, with regards to average speeds, I agree it needs to improve. Not at the cost of safety (remember we share the road with idiots, mostly). To achieve higher average speeds, steps such as FasTag, better road design would help. Also, think about it, if most people on a road are at 110~115 kmph, I feel it would automatically improve safety, even if only a little. We would steadily get to places, instead of planning for a 120 kmph drive, leaving late/getting stuck at tolls, then trying to catch up with 140kph drives and ending up feeling sorry later.
KSTejaswi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 13:04   #67
BHPian

My two cents: In ford freestyle titanium with fly audio ICE with in-build navigation system, the navigation system seems to 'know' the speed limits set for most of the roads (including both city roads and highways) and shows an alarm (both visual on the navigation screen right hand top as well as a single audible beep) just after crossing the given speed limit. This is definitely a GPS based warning system which is neither irritating nor intrusive while driving. However, it's quite helpful for the driver. IMHO similar warning system can be easily implemented in most of the modern cars.
phynix123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 16:46   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
This is definitely a GPS based warning system which is neither irritating nor intrusive while driving. However, it's quite helpful for the driver.
I think the speed limits are coded into the Navigation software. GPS only helps you triangulate your position within a few meters.

There's also mobile navigation software out there that takes your current speed into consideration and warns you of upcoming sharp turns.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 17:31   #69
Senior - BHPian

IMO the speed alert is codified into the program code of the ECU and not merely linked to the navigation software. I believe if we connect an OBD II scanner running an original suzuki ECU log file than there is a probability that it can be re set/disabled from the functions menu. The question is sourcing the original Suzuki Software, something that only dealers have access to. Maybe an independent garage servicing the said vehicles will have access to them but I doubt.
Above 120 KMPH is within margin of understanding but having 2 beeps every 60 seconds post 80 is just plain absurd and stupid.

Last edited by bigron : 24th August 2018 at 17:50.
Old 24th August 2018, 18:22   #70
BHPian

Okay, the government and associated departments are hell bent on porting us back to 1980. But I wish we had free roads like then.

Despite all the effort to make our roads faster and safer, we seem to be taking two steps back for every positive step. The roads are better, but have people been educated to use them properly? The government simply lacks the vision to improve the quality of our life. As a result, we have those annoying barricades all over the toll roads, and now this speed limit, which is sure to make driving a nightmare on any road.
Old 24th August 2018, 18:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

I would rather have a beep than a hard limit.
As per new regulations speed limits are now 50, 80, 100, or 120 depending on the type of highway. A continuous beep above 120 is acceptable, but 80 and 100 should have only a single beep, and not a continuing beeping sound.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 20:43   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
My two cents: In ford freestyle titanium with fly audio ICE with in-build navigation system, the navigation system seems to 'know' the speed limits set for most of the roads (including both city roads and highways) and shows an alarm (both visual on the navigation screen right hand top as well as a single audible beep) just after crossing the given speed limit. This is definitely a GPS based warning system which is neither irritating nor intrusive while driving. However, it's quite helpful for the driver. IMHO similar warning system can be easily implemented in most of the modern cars.
I own an April manufactured Ecosport Trend+ with this FlyAudio system. For some reason, these alerts were ON in my navigation system on my first long trip to Mumbai from Pune on the expressway. Believe me, it's irritating and bugs you like nothing else. There are limits on expressway which are unscientific, so for a 30kph limit, it bugs you even if you're at 40. Cruise at 90, and there will be beeps every 30 seconds (or so, I was not counting). I never knew a small repetitive beep can be so irritating when driving.

I was dejected and angry because I thought this couldn't be turned off. Luckily for me, I found the software setting to turn it off. On second thoughts, I realized this seems very useful for times like low visibility, unknown roads. Can help minimize the distractions and focus better. (That Annoying Beep though!)

My comfortable expressway cruising speed is tad under 100kph. Personally, I'd be happy with the 120kph bugger but not with the 80kph one.
jagzrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 00:16   #73
BHPian

Compared to the news of government trying to bring in a rule to ask manufacturers to build ACs that won't go lower than 25 degrees, I think this can be tolerated That beep is going to be pretty easy to disengage. Someone will find a way. But 80 is too low a limit for any kind of beep I think.
Old 25th August 2018, 01:08   #74
BHPian

Here's another thought.

I've seen posts about the US and their speed limits, but the idea is to keep the flow of traffic smooth. So if everyone is doing 70 (mph) in a 65, the cops don't bother. But if someone is doing 95 in a 65 in a construction zone then it's a problem and rightly so.

The thing is, out there, drivers also get fined for going too slow on motorways and highways. This is a huge problem in India when trucks, and even cautious drivers are doing 40 (kmph) in the right lane (ideally the overtaking/fast lane), hogging that lane, and not maintaining the speed limit (in this scenario, 60 kmph).

I see this daily on my ORR commute in Bangalore where there are people doing unbelievably slow speeds in the fast lane (30-40 kmph) when people who are doing 60 pile up behind them.

Add to the idiots who stop on the left side of the road, blocking an entire lane when there's no shoulder available.

There is a lot of driving decency and ethics to be learned in India before speed governors are to be installed. A maniac weaving through slow moving traffic at 70 kmph is infinitely more dangerous than a cautious driver doing 79 kmph on a relatively free moving road, following the speed limit.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Shanenanigans is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 09:19   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
I think the speed limits are coded into the Navigation software. GPS only helps you triangulate your position within a few meters.
You are right, the speeds are coded into the navigation software. However, my point was that, the warnings are GPS assisted since without GSP assist the software has no way to know the location i.e. the road you're driving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
There's also mobile navigation software out there that takes your current speed into consideration and warns you of upcoming sharp turns.
Please suggest a few good apps with the feature you have mentioned. Such apps may be very helpful while driving in unknown roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks