Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 16:49   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

A Sucker PUNCH (pun intended) that Tata can dish out to the Competition is an EV PUNCH.

With reasonable success of the Nexon EV and experience with Land Rover EVs, I won't be surprised if Tata doesn't take the EV route.

It'll be an ideal city vehicle.
payeng is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 17:38   #947
BHPian

Interesting comments on Punch from Martin Uhlarik, Head of Global Design, Tata Motors.
Quote:
Right from the beginning we wanted to create something that has a really strong stance, and as you saw with the clips this morning, it's more than capable off-road. When we were designing it, the ride height, the ramp angles, also the wheel positions — all of that had to communicate that SUV-ness. So, it's a legitimate SUV for sure.
Source- EVO India

Last edited by Emvi : 5th October 2021 at 17:58. Reason: Formatting
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:42   #948
Senior - BHPian

Tata would do well to provide the Punch with a diesel option ( if it can be accommodated ) and capitalise on the mostly positive vibe the vehicle has created, looks wise.

Especially since the cheapest diesel compact SUVs outside it's stable are Sonet and Venue.
simplyself is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:54   #949
BHPian

Looks like punch will pack a punch for urban dwellers who need a second car and for youngsters who want a fully loaded first car. Good that they've added a lot of features including cruise control which means that this car can go on longer trips too. Only fly in the ointment is the 1.2L petrol.

I wish they bring in a 1.5 diesel AT too.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:54   #950
BHPian

A diesel would make it really appealing, but as with the Altroz, once more we have just a NA engine that's nothing extraordinary (I have driven the Tiago). God alone knows when the Turbo petrol will come out, probably sometime next year ��
RGCST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 19:14   #951
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Only fly in the ointment is the 1.2L petrol.

I wish they bring in a 1.5 diesel AT too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Tata would do well to provide the Punch with a diesel option ( if it can be accommodated ) and capitalise on the mostly positive vibe the vehicle has created, looks wise.

Especially since the cheapest diesel compact SUVs outside it's stable are Sonet and Venue.
TML is trying to differentiate the Nexon and Punch line-up model line up, in order to ensure there is minimal cross model cannibalization.

Punch will be Tata's entry 'SUV' and a segment above is Nexon with the turbo petrol and diesel engine options.

Whether this is the right strategy will depend on how successful the Punch will be in the market.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 19:46   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
TML is trying to differentiate the Nexon and Punch line-up model line up, in order to ensure there is minimal cross model cannibalization.
You are spot on but they should try to maximize their overall sales. As often said on this forum, if you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will do it for you. Tata should have launched the Altroz turbo with Nexon's state of tune and gearbox combo. They should offer an automatic option for the Altroz. With the Punch as well, they should have launched it with the turbo petrol, if not the diesel.

I'm sure Tata would be happier if a potential Nexon customer goes for the Punch, rather than the customer opting to go for the Magnite or Kiger.
Marauder is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 19:59   #953
BHPian

Is there any mention about 60:40 split in rear seats? Altroz also doesn't come with the feature.

Punch also seems to miss the driver arm rest. I hope it will be available as an accessory. I am so used to driver arm rest that if i drive a car without one, i find it very uncomfortable. I am sure some people would agree with me.

I am sure Tata punch would be available with a turbo petrol, but i think it will be available in a few months down the line (just like the altroz).
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 20:01   #954
BHPian

A friend of mine inquired with a dealership, they informed that the prices will be available tomorrow

Will update here if I get to know anything more
Old 5th October 2021, 20:08   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
You are spot on but they should try to maximize their overall sales. As often said on this forum, if you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will do it for you. Tata should have launched the Altroz turbo with Nexon's state of tune and gearbox combo. They should offer an automatic option for the Altroz. With the Punch as well, they should have launched it with the turbo petrol, if not the diesel.

I'm sure Tata would be happier if a potential Nexon customer goes for the Punch, rather than the customer opting to go for the Magnite or Kiger.
I believe TML will continue with the AMT till the Punch-Powertrain's 7-speed DCT localisation is complete and supplies start. I think Tata and Peugeot/Citroen are lined up to use this.

Anyone looking for a compact Tata SUV with the turbo-petrol or diesel can go for the Nexon. They might revise the Punch's powertrain options after seeing market demand.
Old 5th October 2021, 20:11   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

Punch will be Tata's entry 'SUV' and a segment above is Nexon with the turbo petrol and diesel engine options.

Whether this is the right strategy will depend on how successful the Punch will be in the market.
I feel Tata should give customers an option to decide between Punch and Nexon.

Nexon is a bigger vehicle, and has more GC.

Also, using the detuned 1.5 L diesel in Punch ( if they can accommodate it) would place Punch lower than Nexon in segment.

As long as Tata sells good numbers, why bother at all about cannibalization?

Why waste an opportunity to market a diesel powered CSUV, pricing it competitively against the front runners and gather some healthy sales numbers? Especially when Punch is garnering considerable attention?
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 20:15   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I feel Tata should give customers an option to decide between Punch and Nexon.

Nexon is a bigger vehicle, and has more GC.

Also, using the detuned 1.5 L diesel in Punch ( if they can accommodate it) would place Punch lower than Nexon in segment.

As long as Tata sells good numbers, why bother at all about cannibalization?

Why waste an opportunity to market a diesel powered CSUV, pricing it competitively against the front runners and gather some healthy sales numbers? Especially when Punch is garnering considerable attention?
Agreed, but I'm just putting across what TML might be thinking.

Tata will judge if the move is right or not after understanding it's sales volumes.
Old 5th October 2021, 20:36   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

A closer look at the interiors, courtesy SVP:-

Quote:
Calypso Blue gets body coloured ac vents at top end (and dual tone white roof)
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-7.jpg

Quote:
Tata Punch infotainment gets iRA connect in top spec. And there are four themes - Zen, Zeal, Zest and ‘User’ give you diff colours that reflect on the touchscreen and instrument info screen.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-1.jpg

Quote:
Two 12V outlets and one USB A point. Lots of cubbyholes for keys, your phone and stuff. Top-end Creative trim gets start stop button.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-2.jpg

Quote:
Tata Punch has door storage for two bottles and a twice foldable umbrella (you know the kind I mean!)
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-3.jpg

Quote:
Cabin is finished in grey and black tones, but upholstery has small design elements to complement exterior colour
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-4.jpg

Quote:
Easter eggs around the car include a Rhino on the rear windscreen and Tata name logo in taillight cluster
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-5.jpg
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-6.jpg

And, a hint of things to come according to C&B's Twitter:
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-untitled.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th October 2021 at 20:45. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 20:42   #959
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Traction Pro Mode? This is a proper way to fool customers. Who on earth calls such small cars as compact SUVs is beyond my imagination. This trend of calling every Alto, Eon and Nano a compact SUV should end. With 113 Nm of Torque, I wonder what kind of off roading will it do.

Last edited by CarNerd : 5th October 2021 at 20:45.
CarNerd is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 23:11   #960
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Tata should seriously consider the turbo petrol from the Altroz and mate it with a CVT.
Yes, that would have made the power delivery of stylish and appealing punch smooth. CVT option should atleast be given in top variant.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks