Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2018, 13:31   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! MG ZS SUV caught testing in India

Thanks to Kaushal Chavda for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Spotted testing at their Halol plant:
Scoop! MG ZS SUV caught testing in India-psx_20180725_183110.jpg

Scoop! MG ZS SUV caught testing in India-psx_20180725_183427.jpg

Scoop! MG ZS SUV caught testing in India-psx_20180725_184411.jpg
Old 31st July 2018, 10:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Another also-ran/wannabe in a market segment that is about to become sardines-in-a-tin overcrowded. Its not whether its a Chinese or Vietnamese clone.
If you are the new kid around, better make sure you are different & better - looks-, quality- & price-wise. Otherwise it is likely to be a DOA case.
Old 28th September 2019, 12:37   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Autocar India test drives the pre-production MG ZS EV. https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-414180
Quote:
When launched, the ZS EV will come with a 44.5kWh battery and have a New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) range of 335km. That’s more than that of the Kona – which gets a 39.2kWh battery – and this should give it an advantage. Expect a real-world range of around 300km plus. And that should be more than sufficient. It sure will be an interesting test as the MG doesn’t regen as strongly as the Kona.

MG plans to launch the ZS EV towards the end of the year or early next year. The car sold here eventually is likely to be a mild facelift of this one, and like the Hector, it will loaded with kit too. Expect the same connected features as on the Hector, and MG is likely to price it more aggressively than the Kona too, somewhere around the Rs 22 lakh range. The electric car race is heating up and MG could have another winner on its hands, especially as this one’s better-suited to what Indian customers are likely to want. If you are in the market for an electric car at this price, the ZS EV could be worth the wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! MG ZS SUV caught testing in India-screenshot_20190928-mg-zs-ev-prototype-review-test-drive.png  

Scoop! MG ZS SUV caught testing in India-mg-ezs.jpg  

Old 28th September 2019, 14:13   #19
BHPian

Who are these people buying electric SUVs in India? I'd really like to know. I'm guessing this is more suitable for people living in independent dwellings since apartment dwellers mostly cannot get metered electric supply to the parking lot.
Old 28th September 2019, 14:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Who are these people buying electric SUVs in India? I'd really like to know. I'm guessing this is more suitable for people living in independent dwellings since apartment dwellers mostly cannot get metered electric supply to the parking lot.
At home, I won't have an option to charge my car, but my office complex has a electric charging station, though I dont have any idea about the compatibility etc since never looked at it seriously but if there is an electric car which pulls my heart strings, I would definitely be interested in looking all the options around.

And ofcourse there is the fact that atleast in India these EVs are not for setting charts on fire but for brand image
Old 28th September 2019, 16:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

An EV SUV like the Kona and the ZS with moderate range are like oxymoron. SUVs are mostly bought for occasional long trips and with a range of just 300-350 KMs, they will have limited use outside the city driving (unless it is a drive between cities which are closer to each other, like Bombay-Pune or Bangalore-Mysore).
If someone is able to come up with an SUV with 500 KM range and yet be able to sell them for Kona/ZS price (30 lakh), that will see the death of the conventional (IC Engine) SUV segment in that price range(Compass/Tuscon/Tiguan...)
Old 28th September 2019, 17:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing as such, a lot of EV owner live in apartment and getting a power supply socket to the parking lot is easy as well.
I owned E2O for 3 years and I live in an apartment.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:04   #23
BHPian

Power drift has tweeted a registration document of the MG ZS SUV imported from China, most probably for the auto show

The car comes with a 1 litre turbo petrol engine with 111 ps and 160 NM torque.

Could be a VFM player in the Creta segment if launched in 2020 with features similar to the ZS EV.

https://twitter.com/pd_official/stat...089007108?s=21
Old 17th January 2020, 10:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The prevailing Income tax and Road tax policies could make this vehicle a very attractive buy. Especially if it is priced around Rs 20 lakhs or so ex-showroom. First off, GST rate is 5%, as against 28% + surcharge paid by similar priced cars. Of course, this is not a direct cash benefit for the customer, since this is pocketed by the manufacturer. How’s, indirectly, it does mean more value in the hands of the consumer, given at least a good part of the benefit is leveraged by the manufacturer to offset the higher costs of production of the EV versus conventional cars, mainly due to expensive batteries.

However, the two provisions - zero road tax in some states like TN and income tax exemption up to 1.5 lakhs per year (subject to max 2.5 lakh over tenure of loan) can really make this very competitive. The road tax alone amounts to Rs. 3 lakhs in TN and taking out a loan (available at subsidised rates in the first place) and deducting tax in the interest. there is an additional 2.5 lakhs benefit in the first 2 years. So one saves 5.5 lakhs over a regular petrol or diesel SUV!

So, for the effective price of around 18 lakhs, one gets an SUV that would have otherwise costed 23.5 lakhs! (Assuming ex-showroom price at launch is Ra.20 lakhs). A very compelling value proposition indeed, for someone contemplating a mid variant of the Seltos or Creta!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 17th January 2020 at 10:36.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I live in an apartment and I have two EVs. Kona and E2O plus. As long as you have dedicated parking, this is easy to manage. When I told the residents association, that I was buying EVs they never hindered anything. On the other hand asked me if they could help in anyway.

Problem is for those apartments which do not have dedicated parking for residents, but rather park their cars on the streets.
mohanphadnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 17:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

However, the two provisions - zero road tax in some states like TN and income tax exemption up to 1.5 lakhs per year (subject to max 2.5 lakh over tenure of loan) can really make this very competitive. The road tax alone amounts to Rs. 3 lakhs in TN and taking out a loan (available at subsidised rates in the first place) and deducting tax in the interest. there is an additional 2.5 lakhs benefit in the first 2 years. So one saves 5.5 lakhs over a regular petrol or diesel SUV!
!
I have mentioned about the MG ZS petrol, The EV is anyways launching on 27 Jan. If they launch a petrol MG ZS with the specifications as per the registered car in the link between 10-15 lacs ex showroom, it will be a great Value proposition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks