Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2019, 22:32   #736
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Spotted my very first yellow plate registered Triber today. The vehicle was bearing the UK03 registration.
Old 12th December 2019, 09:21   #737
BHPian

https://group.renault.com/en/news-on...-all-new-clio/

I am not sure if it going to be TCE90 with turbo. I think it is going to be TCE100. It's already in production in europe.

https://www.whatcar.com/renault/clio...play-5dr/90126

Old 12th December 2019, 13:03   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

With a 90 PS engine under that bonnet - the Triber sure makes a lot sense suddenly in comparison with the "premium hatchback" segment as well. Interesting times!

None of the petrol hatchbacks in the B+ segment are doing anything above 90PS I think.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 13:53   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
None of the petrol hatchbacks in the B+ segment are doing anything above 90PS I think.
For the record, Honda's 1.2 Ivtec does (at 6000 rpm). I think this number is quite deceptive, and to a certain extent a marketing gimmick (much like the PMPO numbers music systems used to advertise). Based on my own driving style in my Fabia (71PS@5400), the power that I require is a modest 50PS. The real question is perhaps how it is delivered, and the peak power rating doesn't reflect that.
2cents is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 13:58   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
For the record, Honda's 1.2 Ivtec does (at 6000 rpm). I think this number is quite deceptive, and to a certain extent a marketing gimmick (much like the PMPO numbers music systems used to advertise). Based on my own driving style in my Fabia (71PS@5400), the power that I require is a modest 50PS. The real question is perhaps how it is delivered, and the peak power rating doesn't reflect that.
Oh yes of course its a marketing gimmick. To show the numbers. 1 liter turbo. It will have a turbo lag to work with in city traffic too. Correct revving will be required to stay in power band.

But then - most of that B+ premium hatchback segment is all about marketing gimmicks. Triber brings 2 more seats to the equation. Those might be enough to sway a lot of buyers with same power output on paper.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 14:45   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
The real question is perhaps how it is delivered, and the peak power rating doesn't reflect that.
Most of the cars(petrol cars) give out the maximum power at higher RPMs. From what is have noticed, most of them are rated at 6000rpm. So, none of us revs the car so high to obtain that much power.

All we do and need is some good torque at low RPMs and I think that Renault is trying to do that here. The naturally aspirated Triber gives 96Nm torque at 3000rpm compared to 114Nm and 113Nm at 4000 and 4200 RPMs of Swift and i10 respectively.

If they can tune the turbo-petrol to provide some 120Nm at lower RPMs than a Swift, isn't that a big thing?

Another thing, considering the purpose of Triber, what do you think is needed? Power or torque?

I may be wrong but this had stuck my mind on seeing this. Will be glad if someone can help!

Last edited by Jagann13 : 12th December 2019 at 14:47.
Jagann13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 21:22   #742

I've got the NA Triber RxL variant, comparatively I loved the initial torque of the Triber considering the thing weighs just about a ton, this is coming from a WagonR owner - whose low end torque was just about average, now with the turbo addition, sure will make this a firecracker (I dare say this) considering the power to weight ratios'.

Rightfully as jagann13 mentioned -- if they can milk out max torque at a much lower RPM, it would be next to excellent.

My 2 cents, cheers

Last edited by colinpete : 12th December 2019 at 21:46.
colinpete is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 01:10   #743

And .. speaking of the triber - The 1st gear of the triber was designed keeping in mind it SHOULD NEVER stall whatsoever even with 10 people on board!! I mean that's how short the 1st gear is.

my father lives in wellington ( army cantonment) near coonoor / TN, And the entrance to the estate is crazy inclined, i'm pretty sure its a steep 35-45 degree angle !. I mean we've gotta have a small head start for weak powered cars ( earlier alto of mine) else if you loose momentum, you'd have to start again, my dad's spark barely manages with momentum gained during pre run.

But for the Triber - gosh- I easily climbed in FIRST , WITH LOAD and 5 people. very very short gearing, 2nd gear is somewhat short, but third is like an Automatic, you could potter around from 25 - 75 kmph, spaced well out, and 4 & 5 are tall gears.
colinpete is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 14:41   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post

Another thing, considering the purpose of Triber, what do you think is needed? Power or torque?

I may be wrong but this had stuck my mind on seeing this. Will be glad if someone can help!
You are right on the thought that engines need to perform better at lower RPM or lower engine speeds. In other words we have to have more Power at low speeds.

This is however a lot more complicated than this, let me explain.

Its Power that is the measure for rate at which work is done (stuff that matters). If they publish the power of the vehicle at say 3000 RPM (Where Torque is peaking), it will be a far smaller number than at 6000 RPM because engine speed is used in the calculation. However there is no guarantee that Torque output will stay flat or even rise from the peak at say 3500 in case of Triber.

An engine Dynamometer graph is helpful to an extend to understand engine`s real world output - none of this is absolute though!

At the end of the day, if the throttle response is bad, vehicle is heavy, the gearing is incorrect etc, the engine power figures can only do so much!

This is why I insist people to stop looking at specs online before deciding whether a vehicle is good to drive or not, get out there and try for yourself, get some friends as well to check how things are when fully loaded.

I found Triber to be do just fine under load, it does the job without a fuss.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 20:47   #745
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpete View Post
But for the Triber - gosh- I easily climbed in FIRST , WITH LOAD and 5 people. very very short gearing, 2nd gear is somewhat short, but third is like an Automatic, you could potter around from 25 - 75 kmph, spaced well out, and 4 & 5 are tall gears.
That's the correct way to get the maximum out of this efficient engine. You can climb hills in third and fourth and there's no impact on the fuel consumption of the vehicle. With 5000 kms done, my only complaint is the vibration on steep inclines when you have to reverse the car.

Note from Support:

There were several spelling, punctuation and grammar errors in your post. Please proof-read your posts before submitting.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2019 at 22:06. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes for better readability. Thanks.
Mandeep0172 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th December 2019, 20:59   #746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Triber! Owner's First Long Drive Impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
First impressions after my 500Km drive from Dehradun to Manali last night:-

4. Tankful to Tankful, my first fill up gave me a mileage of 13.1Km/L. And this is with 100% AC and almost 75% driving in the hills, mostly uphill. Surprisingly the MID was also showing my Trip Average as 13.1Km/L and so did the Fuelio App after filling in the data.
After a mostly downhill and 50% no AC drive from Manali to Dehradun today, got a mileage of 17.483Km/L this time. Quite close to the 20Km/L ARAI Claim With an average mileage of 15.628Km/L in my total ownership of 939Kms till this fill up.

Name:  Screenshot_20191217204315.png
Views: 3479
Size:  47.3 KB

Quote:
5. Not sure why, but my front right suspension is making a loud Thud sound on some road undulations on even as low as 26Km/H, while sometimes there is nothing even at 70-75Km/H on similar potholes.
Met my Sales Advisor in Dehradun today evening, and he said there has been an email circulated by Renault India about this issue in the cars from the initial batches of Triber, and a few nut bolts need to be tightened in order to mend it. Hope that is the permanent solution to the problem, and I haven't been sold a lemon.

Anyone else got such information or this suspension thud noise problem in their cars, especially the front Right and sometimes Front Left Suspension?

Crossed my first 1000Kms on the Odo today as well!

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_20191217_163712314.jpg

Mods, when is the Official Team-BHP Review coming up?
AdityaDeane is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 02:34   #747

Re: Renault Triber! Owner's First Long Drive Impressions.

Quote:
After a mostly downhill and 50% no AC drive from Manali to Dehradun today, got a mileage of 17.483Km/L this time. Quite close to the 20Km/L ARAI Claim With an average mileage of 15.628Km/L in my total ownership of 939Kms till this fill up.

Attachment 1946750

Met my Sales Advisor in Dehradun today evening, and he said there has been an email circulated by Renault India about this issue in the cars from the initial batches of Triber, and a few nut bolts need to be tightened in order to mend it. Hope that is the permanent solution to the problem, and I haven't been sold a lemon.

Anyone else got such information or this suspension thud noise problem in their cars, especially the front Right and sometimes Front Left Suspension?

Crossed my first 1000Kms on the Odo today as well!

Attachment 1946751

Mods, when is the Official Team-BHP Review coming up?

congrats Aditya !. .
i'm getting almost the similar mileage in the hills of coonoor / ooty. ( 12 - 14 kmpl)
but my highway mileage has seen the best, light footed ensures 18 - 19 kmpl the best I've got on kolar - palmaneer - chittoor highway.
colinpete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 10:40   #748
BHPian

I did my first 500+ km trip today in the Triber. Bangalore to cochin. Started 1230 am and reached around 9 am.

The steering weighs down well at speeds. I was quite apprehensive about the vague steering at parking speeds but that's a non issue on the highway. The car is planted enough for the kind of car it is. I was not pushing her in turns as I haven't yet got that kind of confidence in the tyres. The way it soaks up bad roads is phenomenal, particularly after its loaded fully.

I kept the engine on the boil for most part of the trip. Ended up with a mileage of just over 14kmpl. If someone drives it sanely, they can easily get 18ish.

I am not a fan of aggressively downshifting gears to gain speed. I rely on A pedal to take it from 40 to 100, in 5th gear. Unfortunately it's slow to do this, but lot better than diesel cars like sx4 (which I have owned as well) and most other cars under 10 lac rs. Throttle response is good and the car doesn't lack torque. The 3 pot does its job well!

Ride height is excellent. Ergonomics in the driver seat is really good. Lumbar support is much better than my 2018 CVT City. I don't feel too tired after the drive. The holes in that seat fabric can be felt sometimes. I didn't like it that much.

All in all, there are probably many cars that could get me to Cochin 5% faster, but none that can carry this kind of load, and do everything almost as well or better than most other cars in this segment

They need to add steering controls, an armrest and fix some bugs in the infotainment system. It goes blank for much longer than expected when we restart the car.

Also they need to stop giving those ridiculous stepnee tyres. They are exactly the same size as the four tyres in the car, but they are different tread pattern, which is really silly.
ak916 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 20:02   #749
Senior - BHPian

For the Triber users here: I know it is not summer, but how good is the AC. The AC was/ is? one of the sore spots of the Duster.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st December 2019, 20:16   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
For the Triber users here: I know it is not summer, but how good is the AC.
From what I have experienced, in the not so cold time last month end, the front AC was quite chilly. I didn't need to switch the Rear AC on at all, all through my drive.

The real test will be in summers only, and they are not too far away for people up North. But maybe buyers from down South of India can comment better on this question and let you know.

Regards,

AdityaDeane
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks