Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2018, 18:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki Ignis diesel variants discontinued

According to a media report, Maruti Suzuki will no longer offer the Ignis with a diesel engine. The diesel variants have reportedly been axed due to a lack of demand. Maruti is currently selling more than 4,000 units of the Ignis on an average every month. 90% of the cars sold are petrol variants.

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki Ignis diesel variants discontinued-2017marutiignis01.jpg

The diesel variants of the Ignis get a 1.3-litre, 4-cylinder engine that is offered on various other Maruti models. This engine develops 74 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 190 Nm of torque @ 2,000 rpm and comes paired with either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT.

If these reports are true, the Ignis will only be available with a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine which develops 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm of torque @ 4,200 rpm. It also comes fitted with a 5-speed manual gearbox, while a 5-speed AMT is offered as an option.

Source: Gaadiwaadi

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 09:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti Suzuki Ignis diesel variants discontinued

It does not make sense to discontinue diesel mill in Ignis; MSIL is not gaining anything, unless they want to use the assembly line for new Dzire & Swift, which could be one of the possible reasons.

A good / normal monsoon is expected this year followed by festive season; MSIL is under pressure of ensuring delivery against bookings. Any cancelled booking is a direct hit on profitability.

Ignis is not a fast moving product whereas Swift & Dzire have waiting periods and are moving like FMCG products. Most probably Ignis diesel will be back @ NEXA showrooms once these two cars stabalize in terms of demand.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 09:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Most probably Ignis diesel will be back @ NEXA showrooms once these two cars stabalize in terms of demand.
If it comes back it will be with the Suzuki's 1.5L diesel mill meeting the next emission norms of 2020.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 16:24   #4
BHPian

IMHO, considering their target audience, they shouldn't have launched a diesel variant for this car to begin with. Vaguely remember the word "young working people" or something like that being the term used.
Old 14th June 2018, 16:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

IGNIS diesel was overlapping with lot more competent cars even in Maruti's own stable. I think its the price which is causing low demand.

IGNIS diesel being slow mover, has discounts to the tune of 75k being offered ( Info from popular magazine ).

Maybe they should add the 1.0 petrol mill and sell it even cheaper.
Old 14th June 2018, 17:31   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Weird of Maruti to discontinue the diesel, if the news is indeed true. Maruti is a company that won't even give up 400 - 500 sales (10% of Ignis volumes) that easily. And not just Maruti - Nexa dealers who anyway have just a handful of models wouldn't like their cheapest diesel car to be pulled off just like that.

There's more to it than meets the eye. We know that the 1.5L diesel will debut later this year, but will it make its way to the Ignis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
IGNIS diesel was overlapping with lot more competent cars even in Maruti's own stable.
Maruti is the foremost believer of the saying "if you don't cannibalise your own products, someone else will". That would be the last thing on their minds.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 17:33   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Now that Beelzebub's fuel is no longer trending, I wonder when we can expect manufacturers to up their petrol engine game. The latest generation of petrol motors have been such a disappointment like the dragon series 3cyl motors from Ford, the ecoboost and maruti's 3cyl turbocharged variant, the anemic K-series motor, Tata's revotron series etc. They all lack the poke that the last generation of petrol engines came with. I hope now with all focus finally on petrol engine development, companies will soon start to offer stronger petrol engines..
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 17:51   #8
BHPian

If I were to decide, I would retire that old donkey from Fiat altogether

Having said that, this is a strange decision from MS. Incremental sales without much of any incremental cost - who would want to do that?

I would like to believe there is a sound strategy behind this decision (MS has not taken a bad decision in India since Zen Estilo).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 18:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There's more to it than meets the eye. We know that the 1.5L diesel will debut later this year, but will it make its way to the Ignis?
Just what i think too. Ignis is to Nexa what Celerio is to Arena - a wildcard without much pedigree (or brand following) to risk.

Could be a good no-risk test bed for the 1.5L diesel before it debuts in the all-important Ciaz.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 08:05   #10
BHPian

The Ignis is already an over priced model.
If 1.3L Diesel hasn't been able to attract volumes, I don't think the 1.5L will either.
(The 1.5L will be BS6 ready, resulting in high cost)

Plonking in the 1.5L diesel will only add to the overall cost & so to experiment with the engine in this car would not be the right test bed.

Also we need to consider the fact that the current model has nowhere been spotted testing the 1.5L diesel, its mostly the Ciaz / Ertiga which has been testing.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

I was just thinking, what if Maruti Suzuki replaced the 1.3 DDiS from Ignis and swapped it with the 800cc Diesel engine that once powered the Celerio? For a car weighing around 900Kgs, will that help to decrease price and increase sales for Ignis Diesel all over again? I am sure it will be more fuel efficient, and if it feels under-powered, can Maruti not install a small turbocharger and increase the power and torque outputs to give a decent vehicle?

Moreover, Ignis can be shifted out of Nexa outlets and moved on to Arena outlets making way for Suzuki Jimny as a Gypsy replacement which will boost sales for sure once launched. What are everyone's views on such a change?
Old 21st June 2018, 10:59   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I was just thinking, what if Maruti Suzuki replaced the 1.3 DDiS from Ignis and swapped it with the 800cc Diesel engine that once powered the Celerio? For a car weighing around 900Kgs, will that help to decrease price and increase sales for Ignis Diesel all over again?
Have you heard that engine anytime in person? I have and trust me - I actually thought its a Piaggio Autorickshaw behind me till i turned around and saw a Celerio standing behind. No idea how a company like Maruti allowed such an unrefined engine to go inside a passenger car!

They are better off using that engine for commercial purposes.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks