Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 CVT launched at Rs. 7.04 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinfine View Post
Which is better jazz or i20 (automatic). A quick suggestion would be of great help for the following below parameters
FE
Performance
Maintenance

Most of it will be driven in city and once in a while out of station.

Thanks in advance
FE: Definitely Jazz. The numbers shared by owners here look scary. In Jazz I am getting 11.5-ish in Bangalore and its brand new. Hopefully will cross 12 once I take up some more miles.

Performance: In my test drives , rubber-band effect was present in both however better controlled in Jazz and the sport mode with paddle shifters felt better to use.

Maintenance: Jazz needs to be serviced once every 6 months, however i20 once a year. So hopefully i20 should be cheaper.

Where i20 trumps Jazz handsomely is features. Projectors , DRLs, sunglass holder, better armrest (both front and back), rear AC vents etc are available in i20. But Jazz trumps i20(or for that matter any car under 10L) in sheer space inside, be it boot or seating space.

Test drive both for sometime and check which one suits you. All the best

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd May 2019 at 11:45. Reason: edited
SoumenD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:47   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 CVT launched at Rs. 7.04 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Where i20 trumps Jazz handsomely is features.

+1.
And better safety kit in Asta(O) trim:
ISOFIX
6 airbags
Adjustable rear head rest

Last edited by SilentEngine : 22nd May 2019 at 18:48.
SilentEngine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 07:06   #78
BHPian

Had to get the injectors cleaned as knocking sound started coming from the engine, with the pressing of the gas pedal. SA's blamed shell petrol, but i don't understand why yet. FE is really sad on this, so the guys who went for Jazz cvt did the right thing maybe. I always drive bumper to bumper in my daily commute and after 2200km,the FE is around 6.5-7kmpl. That being said as soon as the car gets free roads, e.g. Highways/weekend runs the numbers jump by 2-3km/l easily.
AppyS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 08:21   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyS View Post
Had to get the injectors cleaned as knocking sound started coming from the engine, with the pressing of the gas pedal. SA's blamed shell petrol, but i don't understand why yet. FE is really sad on this, so the guys who went for Jazz cvt did the right thing maybe. I always drive bumper to bumper in my daily commute and after 2200km,the FE is around 6.5-7kmpl. That being said as soon as the car gets free roads, e.g. Highways/weekend runs the numbers jump by 2-3km/l easily.
I get around 6-6.5 kmpl (Onboard display shows 0.5 kmpl more) in Bangalore traffic. So it is clear that the i20 CVT in general gives pathetic FE. I was thinking that there could be something wrong with my car.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 09:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always drive bumper to bumper in my daily commute and after 2200km,the FE is around 6.5-7kmpl. That being said as soon as the car gets free roads, e.g. Highways/weekend runs the numbers jump by 2-3km/l easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I get around 6-6.5 kmpl (Onboard display shows 0.5 kmpl more) in Bangalore traffic. So it is clear that the i20 CVT in general gives pathetic FE. I was thinking that there could be something wrong with my car.
Those are scary numbers for a hatch & its not even a performance hatch.

My colleague's Creta petrol AT(now 3500kms on odo), reads 9kmpl on the MID, tankful might be around 8-8.5kmpl. Grand i10 as well with same 1.2 kappa petrol returns 9-10 kmpl. And these come with the not-so-frugal Torque converters. CVTs are supposed to be more frugal & I expected the i20 CVT to do closer numbers to the manual i.e. around 9-10kmpl.

Hyundai should take a serious look at this as its clearly an issue with the CVT box.
Quote:
FE is really sad on this, so the guys who went for Jazz cvt did the right thing maybe.
These numbers shared by you guys helped people like me on the fence decide. Bad FE & relatively lesser rear legroom made me go the Jazz way. However, I would have loved those features(DRL+Projectors,rear arm-rest,rear AC vents,Sunglass holder, sliding front armrest) that you get with i20. Jazz is a bit spartan when it comes to features in comparison.
But yeah, mileage it returns is consistently in range of 11.5-12 in bangalore(tankfull method, MID shows 12.5+).

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th July 2019 at 09:51.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:01   #81
BHPian

Why do people but these cars inspite of the fact that fuel efficiency is pathetic and performance is nothing but ordinary?
Mass market loves fuel efficiency over performance. Here both are not there. Why do people end up buying this? Aren't they aware Hyundai petrols offer below par and way below the ARAI claimed fuel efficiency?
I am sorry, but 6kmpl from.a city hatchback is unacceptable, India should have strong laws like in the US to prevent such cheating by companies!
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 14:18   #82
BHPian

It's indeed scary to see users here getting such an extremely low efficiency though a friend bought the i20 CVT when it was launched, initially it indeed gave very low mileage but now after almost 8.5k kms he is getting a mileage of 10.5 - 11.5 depending on the traffic condition which I felt is decent enough for New Delhi.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 15:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Why do people but these cars inspite of the fact that fuel efficiency is pathetic and performance is nothing but ordinary?
Mass market loves fuel efficiency over performance. Here both are not there. Why do people end up buying this? Aren't they aware Hyundai petrols offer below par and way below the ARAI claimed fuel efficiency?
I am sorry, but 6kmpl from.a city hatchback is unacceptable, India should have strong laws like in the US to prevent such cheating by companies!
As per ARAI, the Hyundai Elite i20 CVT mileage is 19.8 kmpl. Even at showrooms the SA's will say the same. My Dad's friend bought i20 CVT recently and when I met him one day I just asked why did he make this choice. He said he liked the design, the interiors and comfort of auto transmission, and fuel economy of 18 kmpl as said by the SA, that's it. He is not an auto enthusiast like me who does lots of research before taking a decision. He was impressed with what SA explained him and he bought it. There will be thousands of people like who will fall into this trap of ARAI mileage figures.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 17:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 CVT launched at Rs. 7.04 lakh

My wife drives the Elite i20 manual and in Bangalore traffic the car returns around 10-12 kmpl which I think is sort of par for the course. In bumper to bumper traffic conditions I doubt if petrol cars deliver anything significantly higher. My wife had a Brio earlier and it did not do any better, 10-11 at best.

However its a known fact that Hyundai does not make the most efficient engines. I own a Creta 1.6 diesel and the car does not deliver more than 13-14 in city conditions. Whereas my earlier car, a 1.6 diesel Rapid used to fetch about 16.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 00:27   #85
BHPian

While they returned the car from the injector cleaning service, they told me had driven on highway and it read 12kmpl with 90km added. I suppose the highway was a treadmill for cars in the workshop, if such a thing exists. Moment i refilled, reset and drove it out it dropped to 6, making me feel like my foot sucks.
Seems its good to say now, #katgaya. I've seen my earlier polo manual at 4-5kmpl as well in identical traffic, so it's not too depressing when the MID reads 6kmpl. If "Kitna deti hai" matters to you, just avoid i20 CVT.

Last edited by AppyS : 20th July 2019 at 00:29.
AppyS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 00:34   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
The company is not cheating here. They are advertising the mileage that the ARAI has certified the vehicle at.

It's the ARAI and by extension the government's fault that they have a downright stupid testing mechanism.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 09:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

I have said this before also. Reason for i20 CVTs poor FE IMO is because of very low ratio in the lower gear (equivalent of 1st, 2nd in a conventional transmission). They have done this to compensate for the lack of power/torque of the 1.2 L engine which has to propel a fairly large/heavy car. Because of this implementation, i20 CVT feels reasonably peppy/fast. But when you push the pedal hard, it downshifts all the way till the lowest gear ratio, which makes the FE goes for a toss.
Guna is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 15:34   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjasty View Post
I recently purchased(10th April) the i20 asta CVT. I was worried on seeing all these mileage numbers on the forum. However, took the plunge as it was best suited for my requirements (cvt, safety features, serviceability)

The following are the numbers that I am seeing after 3000km of driving:
Highway - 15kmpl
Normal city traffic - 10kmpl
Peak city traffic (10kmph avg. speed) - 5kmpl

Hope they increase further after the first service
Update on the milage. Completed 12k km.
Instantaneous numbers are similar to above. Tankful numbers that I got are below:
Worst number: 8kmpl (complete city weekday traffic)
Typical city: 9.5kmpl (complete city weekday+weekends)
Best numbers: 15.5kmpl (complete highway).
sjasty is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:35   #89
BHPian

I own both Jazz CVT and 2019 i20 CVT. Even though i20 gives less mileage, Hyundai really managed to hide the rubber band effect associated with cvt. The car is really fun to ride and is a pocket rocket in my opinion. Why to spend on a mini cooper when you can get similar fun on a Hyundai.

On similar riding conditions in Mumbai ,
Inside city: Jazz CVT 12-14 (have seen 8-10 ), i20 CVT 10-11 ( have seen 7-8 )
Highways : Jazz CVT 17-20 , i20 CVT 15-18

In bumper to bumper traffic, both gives less. I feel i20 drinks petrol during idle conditions where as Honda just sips. Hyundai should really work on increasing efficiency during start stop driving
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 18:51   #90
BHPian

Anybody update the maps or avn on this vehicle? Service guys don't do it and the device id is untraceable on the avn for me till date, to start a self update

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks