Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 01:15   #286
BHPian

Re: Kia Grand Carnival MPV coming in 2020. Edit: Launched @ 24.95 lakhs

Kia is trying to play the premium game here. Kia Carnival is called as Kia Sedona in US which comes in minivan segment that is dominated by Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey and recently Chrysler Pacifica (Pacifica jumped its sales recently due to plugin hybrid availability and govt tax rebate). Kia Carnival/Sedona don’t even get a third place in terms of sales in US. (It doesn’t mean its bad car since lot of other aspects comes to play for sale).

For Carnival, the sliding door is a very useful feature especially for kids. I am considering Innova as an occasional 7/8-seater whereas third row in Carnival might be better place to be in for long drives for adults. Requirement for a full time 7-seater, the company cabs are the one that comes to my mind immediately, but Carnival's pricing in not in favor for company cabs either. Good thing here in India is Carnival gets a good diesel engine.

Finally, what I think is Innova suddenly turns to a value for money car (If I exclude Hexa).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th February 2020 at 08:15. Reason: Grammar.
Old 7th February 2020, 05:04   #287
Senior - BHPian

The product is definitely ahead of its time. Given the levels of high volumes v/s high margins, Kia has clearly taken the high margin-low volume route. I'm sure this. If I were Toyota, I'd be breathing a sigh of relief as Kia hasn't killed the Innova.

Kia has given prospective Fortuner and Endeavour owners a great alternative. But will a prospective 2WD SUV buyer sign the cheque for a(n) (uncool) van? I doubt.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th February 2020 at 08:09. Reason: Typo
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 05:08   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving80kph View Post
Latest TVC for the Carnival. KIA is going HAM on the promotion of this one. I saw the ad multiple times since yesterday. Even my parents were asking about this car and that's impressive because they have zero to no interest in automobiles!
A little OTT , but Jim Sarbh modelling for Kia Carnival? I love his acting, but that glint in his eyes makes me feel like he could be up to something sinister all the time ��. Not sure what attribute that conveys about the car. Suave mafia appeal?

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th February 2020 at 08:10. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 07:12   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I checked this today at Expo. Sat in the rear seat and I believe we sit lower "into" the seat and not "on" the seat like on Innova. Most guys appreciate the sofa like seating on Innova and it helps on long distances.
I agree fully and had the same experience. But given more legroom in the middle it was not an issue. But the third row was a let down for me.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:16   #290
BHPian

In my opinion, the overlap of buyers for Innova and Carnival is very minimal. Kia would have factored it too. I will assume that on an average each showroom sells 1 carnival per month and that too for only next two years. This will be like a blitzkrieg before next similar model comes from Kia. So it will be like Kia bringing on new models/cars and have a quick money on a continuous basis.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:35   #291
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Carnival will not hurt Innova sales derived from 1st time buyers, but surely it will take away a large chunk from the private repeat buyers. There is a large number of Innova users out there who are looking for an upgrade but constrained by lack of options, all this pent-up demand will surely help Carnival sales.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 13:55   #292
BHPian

Considering that most families looking for a family van will be 2 Adults + 2 Parents + 2 Kids, a 7 seater config is enough.

Also most private buyers are more likely to opt for the Limousine variant since it has all the bells and whistles, but it has been priced way too high.

Commercial users and truly larger families would be the only ones eyeing the other configs, which are anyway priced lower.

Given the feedback from other members, if the sales don't go as planned, would it make sense to pick one up maybe around Nov-Dec timeframe when discounts would kick-in and year-end stock clearance also might be at play? Or am I dreaming?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th February 2020 at 20:51. Reason: Typos.
Old 8th February 2020, 01:22   #293
BHPian

I would also presume at some level, parking spot dimensions (in apartment buildings) - stilted or garage might play a role in choosing the Carnival. It should fit with adequate space to open the front doors. Sliding rear doors is an advantage in this case.

When I was finalizing on my Xylo, I had requested for the TD vehicle to be brought home. That was the first check - whether it fit into my assigned spot and how easy was it to nose in and back out.

Prospective buyers should keep this mind.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 08:44   #294
BHPian

Speaking about Innova - Carnival potential rivalry, well the next gen Crysta is supposed to have a whole new bag of tricks including hybrid powertrains I suppose. It will be interesting to see how Toyota responds till then.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th February 2020 at 20:50. Reason: Typos.
Old 8th February 2020, 20:47   #295
BHPian

Got this from a website. Don't know if it's true. But if it is Innova has good competition from the base and 2nd version, if not others.Kia Grand Carnival MPV coming in 2020. Edit: Launched @ 24.95 lakhs-screenshot_20200208_204247.jpg
Old 8th February 2020, 23:03   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born.4thnov View Post
Got this from a website. Don't know if it's true. But if it is Innova has good competition from the base and 2nd version, if not others.
Yes it is true, the Car was officially launched on 5th February.

Comparison with Innova is bound to happen as that really is the only comparable option close by in terms of price. V Class and Vellfire are too far off.

For those looking at the Z variant or the touring sport, Carnival is within the ball park with the lower Variants. It has the potential to get the customers in the 40 lakhs segment. Glad to see viable options coming to us Indians. (Segment wise Market leaders make note.)

Way to go Kia, from an unknown entity to being a top 5 player, you have created an aspirational brand for yourself. Even die hard fans of Toyota are taking notice of you. Grab the chance to be what Toyota wanted to be, an aspirational Volume player.

Time is now ripe for Kia to get a Ra 6 - 10 Lakhs car
indian21r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 02:10   #297
BHPian

Two weeks ago, I visited a Kia showroom, the Carnival was on display. It is a proper MPV. Ample space, fully usable third row and plenty of boot space. Seats are comfy, soft (some may feel it too soft, but I liked it). Music system was fantastic. Overall it felt like a good competitor to Innova until the prices revealed. I was expecting at least some overlap between them.

Nevertheless, Carnival is a good looking product, waiting for our official review to know about dynamics. For now Innova is safe, however, I guess Toyota would be closely watching the development, because the Carnival also intrudes Fortuner’s 2WD space. kind of curious to know how Toyota is going to react, what would be up their sleeve.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 9th February 2020 at 02:17.
Old 9th February 2020, 09:45   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Two weeks ago, I visited a Kia showroom, the Carnival was on display. It is a proper MPV. Ample space, fully usable third row and plenty of boot space. Seats are comfy, soft (some may feel it too soft, but I liked it). Music system was fantastic. Overall it felt like a good competitor to Innova until the prices revealed. I was expecting at least some overlap between them.

Nevertheless, Carnival is a good looking product, waiting for our official review to know about dynamics. For now Innova is safe, however, I guess Toyota would be closely watching the development, because the Carnival also intrudes Fortuner’s 2WD space. kind of curious to know how Toyota is going to react, what would be up their sleeve.
Worldwide Toyota already has a competitor in this space. It would be interesting to watch if Toyota wakes up from slumber and brings more world class models like the sienna to compete with the Carnival.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Grand Carnival MPV coming in 2020. Edit: Launched @ 24.95 lakhs-screenshot_20200209_094238_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Old 9th February 2020, 14:13   #299
BHPian

Has KIA started delivering these to customers? I saw one parked in a car market in Delhi when passing by. Had a red TC number plate/sticker. I was in a hurry so couldn't stop by and take a closer look.

PS: Even from afar, it does look pretty massive and gorgeous.
Old 9th February 2020, 16:48   #300
BHPian

Neither Honda nor Toyota will bring their true Carnival competitor, the Odyssey and Sienna since they would price it way above what Kia did and will become a market dud even though they are superior when compared with the Carnival.
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks