Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2018, 13:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV

Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta Rival and a sub 4m SUV.

Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20180430122819_honda_suv_sketch2.jpg

Quote:
Honda has big plans to cash in on the unrelenting demand for crossovers and SUVs in India. The Japanese carmaker is working on two ‘mass market’ SUVs for India – a new sub-four-metre compact SUV and a Hyundai Creta rival – that'll be launched post-2020.

Both the new SUVs will be built on the same platform that underpins the new Honda Amaze. Honda insiders say the new Amaze platform (code: 2UA) has opened fresh possibilities for the carmaker as far as body styles go
Quote:
The second model could be a larger 4.2- to 4.3-metre-long SUV that'll target the Hyundai Creta. This SUV will be positioned as a premium offering and will sport a more conventional and SUV-like upright stance, compared to the decidedly MPV-like BR-V crossover
Link
Attached Thumbnails
Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20180430122815_honda_suv_sketch1.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2018 at 22:46. Reason: Best to just include a para or two when using external content. Thanks!
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 13:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta Rival and a sub 4m SUV.
Lol. Honda has lost their marbles.

Both launches post 2020; that's almost two years away. While they're talking about these two launches in their boardroom over some tea and biscuits and a fancy presentation, the competition has launched and would have refreshed their line-up.

Creta rival and sub 4m. So, what exactly will the BRV and WRV be doing? Such a messed up strategy, it's become funny!
libranof1987 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 15:19   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Lol. Honda has lost their marbles.

Both launches post 2020; that's almost two years away. While they're talking about these two launches in their boardroom over some tea and biscuits and a fancy presentation, the competition has launched and would have refreshed their line-up.

Creta rival and sub 4m. So, what exactly will the BRV and WRV be doing? Such a messed up strategy, it's become funny!
What is so surprising in the news? The future SUVs that are being spoken about are basically the next-gen BR-V and WR-V. 2020-2021 will be the ideal timeline for their launch as both those cars will be 4-5 years old.

BTW the images used in the ACI article are misleading.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 30th April 2018 at 15:20.
Aaron:) is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 17:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV

Mod Note : Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta Rival and a sub 4m SUV - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 18:44   #5
BHPian

This car looks like the Honda HR-V. I remember seeing this beauty in Singapore and I was wondering that who messed up their strategy in India and got the BRV instead of this . I guess they finally realised their mistake but they did miss the bus.

You can check out the HR-V using this link:

http://www.honda.com.sg/cars/hrv.htm

And I also hope that they bring in the latest gen HR-V to India whenever they officially do.
Ankoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 19:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
BTW the images used in the ACI article are misleading.
Correct. The images on this thread & ACI website are of the current gen BR-V.

Looks like they flicked the images from this link:
http://www.cheekycars7.com/2015/07/h...mages-new.html

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th April 2018 at 19:26.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Aren't they making it a bit too late? I am saying this because Hyundai has the Creta on sale since 2015, and it is selling like hot cakes since then. It even overthrew likes of the Duster from it's place when it was launched. Last year it did about 105484 units total, second to the Maruti Brezza.

Well, what I am trying to say is, while the present offering BR-V is selling nowhere near like the Creta, they should bring in an already existing model like the HR-V and replace it with the BR-V by 2019. It has the wow factor that will appeal to the Indian junta. And 2021 is still far away and we can expect other manufacturers to make their mark in the segment too by then. Same can be said in case of the WR-V replacement, just too late.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 30th April 2018 at 19:35.
Tanveer02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 20:32   #8
BHPian

Frankly speaking, I don't see the WRV going anywhere. The numbers it is bringing in now, it'll be foolish to replace it. The Amaze based sub 4m can coexist with the Jazz based WRV. The Creta rival would be a reworked BRV like the job done on the Amaze
Old 30th April 2018, 20:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Simple - they will call the sub-4m offering "the new-gen WR-V".

Cost-effective too, since this sub-4m crossover "SUV" will be based on the new-gen Amaze platform, instead of the Jazz/City platform which underpins the current-gen WR-V. Top hat will remain more or less similar.

As for the Creta competitor, it's the HR-V/Vezel-based crossover SUV which is being prepped as we speak.

Honda has made an exhaustive analysis of the Hyundai Creta's/Jeep Compass's success in the Indian market, and is hoping to replicate it with the Creta competitor.

And, why 2020/21? Because by that time BS-VI norms would be in effect, and these all-new SUV offerings will be introduced with BS-VI compliant engines. They are hard at work on making the 1.5L i-DTEC BS-VI ready. No update on the same for the 1.2L/1.5L i-VTEC yet.

If they taste success at a pricing range which is a "small premium" over the existing competition just because of the Honda badge, nothing quite like it.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th April 2018 at 20:47. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 22:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Honda is only looking to reduce costs with these 2 new SUVs. 2 issues are clear from this to me:
1. There won't be any car (except from City) that belongs to Jazz/ Fit platform. This also means build quality of these vehicles can be lower than Europe/ North America spec vehicles.
2. These will be based on Amaze platform as they seek to maximize profits on this platform, including the smaller one being based on upcoming Brio that was previewed in Indonesia.
They may have their compelling reasons to drag on the Brio platform for India & not bringing international products like HRV, Accord, etc. (being costly for Indian buyers factoring Japan premium). But, IMO this can backfire as they may lose more customers then they retain with the City.
Going by ACI's report, I'm definitely not going to put my money in Honda for a premium product that aren't.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 22:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankoor View Post
This car looks like the Honda HR-V. I remember seeing this beauty in Singapore and I was wondering that who messed up their strategy in India and got the BRV instead of this . I guess they finally realised their mistake but they did miss the bus.

You can check out the HR-V using this link:

http://www.honda.com.sg/cars/hrv.htm

And I also hope that they bring in the latest gen HR-V to India whenever they officially do.
Absolutely! The HR-V has been very successful in SE Asia.

The HR-V would have sold well even at 22L on-road - after all the City top-end auto retails at approx 17L now.

Just look at the success of the Compass and the Creta. I would gladly pay a couple lakhs more for the HR-V over the Creta and compared to the Compass, a Honda would have the advantage of reliability and a widespread and efficient service network.

I have been in a HR-V and the interiors are really quite lovely and comfort is excellent. its compact size would have made it the perfect upgrade to older City customers looking to upgrade.

Great for the urban commute and on the highway with that smart cabin, great seats and best in class luggage space.

I really cant fathom, why Honda did not bring the HR-V to Indian earlier - they badly need a halo model.

Maybe the concern was the lack of a diesel engine ?
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 23:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Honda is only looking to reduce costs with these 2 new SUVs. 2 issues are clear from this to me:
1. There won't be any car (except from City) that belongs to Jazz/ Fit platform. This also means build quality of these vehicles can be lower than Europe/ North America spec vehicles.
2. These will be based on Amaze platform as they seek to maximize profits on this platform, including the smaller one being based on upcoming Brio that was previewed in Indonesia.
They may have their compelling reasons to drag on the Brio platform for India & not bringing international products like HRV, Accord, etc. (being costly for Indian buyers factoring Japan premium). But, IMO this can backfire as they may lose more customers then they retain with the City.
Going by ACI's report, I'm definitely not going to put my money in Honda for a premium product that aren't.
Yes - Honda really needs to be careful, not to drag their brand image further in the mud. The new Jazz, WR-V and BR-V are all very competent products but feel very bland and seem to lack that all important Honda DNA of being drivers cars first.

Only the City still retains some of the premium feel, Honda really messed up, by taking the City downmarket in terms of quality and not launching the HR-V, which in any case makes use of a lot of parts from the City's bin.

Just look at the way, Toyota handled the Qualis, Innova and Crysta journey.

It's a pity that Honda chose to sully the 'Gold Plated' reputation that the first 3 generations of the City had built up over 15 years.

Short term profits over long-term gain
Redline6800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 23:19   #13
BHPian

Re: Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV

Honda doesn't need to develop any new for India. They'll do well if just bring the best ones they sell abroad.

For example, the Honda Pilot with state of the art safety can be a good competitor to Innova. (2004 team-bhp discussion)

Last year, they brought back accord, it was a good move but again why only hybrid ? a normal accord could have enabled them price it lower.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 2nd May 2018 at 23:20. Reason: grammer
Old 2nd May 2018, 23:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Honda doesn't need to develop any new for India. They'll do well if just bring the best ones they sell abroad.

For example, the Honda Pilot with state of the art safety can be a good competitor to Innova. (2004 team-bhp discussion)

Last year, they brought back accord, it was a good move but again why only hybrid ? a normal accord could have enabled them price it lower.
Not only is it illogical to bring Hybrid Accord, but to have Hybrid even after the spike in GST is even worst. Civic is one of their best selling cars worldwide. Instead of having Accord, they can also scrap Honda City and keep Honda Civic instead which gives a middle ground and for a lot better price.

Last edited by sxenimit : 2nd May 2018 at 23:26.
Old 6th March 2020, 21:05   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

New Honda global compact SUV to be unveiled around mid-2020.

Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV-20190910_scoop_honda_new_littercar_01b.jpg

Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV-20200306114801_honda_suvx.jpg

Honda readying two new SUVs for India - A Creta rival & a sub-4m SUV-20190910_scoop_honda_new_littercar_02.jpg

Targetting Toyota's highly successful RAIZE and Suzuki's Jimny and will be primarily be aimed at the booming global compact SUV segment globally.

Will sit below the HR-V in Honda's line-up and could be a 4m S/CUV.

Honda compact SUV will initially come with not just one, but two petrol powertrain options, starting with a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine shared with the City. The second powerplant for this compact SUV will be a 1.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine that could come with Honda’s compact hybrid system, which is now known as e-HEV.

Honda's India plans are still a mystery and if sensible they should launch it here to take a slice of the booming C/SUV market here.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th March 2020 at 21:06.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks