Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 10:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
So, there lies the catch. I just talked to my SA and he confirmed that it is indeed going to be 2017 manufactured. He says he had mentioned it at the dealership and maybe I didn't notice. I really wouldn't care if it is 2017 manufactured as long as it is in good shape. A thorough PD is in order.

I wonder whether the limited color options offered to me (silver and white) is based on inventory availabile at the dealership. If so I could get a better color if I checked somewhere else. Sadly the nearest one is 200km away.
Hi Civic-Sense,

Looks like the availability of white and silver is not limited to dealership. I checked with RDC Jeep & Ramkay Jeep here in Chennai and both of them have only these 2 colors. Maybe the plant in Ranjangaon has stock of these 2 colors piled up. Looking to pick-up a red 4x4 myself.
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 16:18   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
Got VIN from the SA. Decoding it shows manufacturing month as Nov 2017. 5 months old. Hoping everything is in good shape.

BTW I don't see anybody else in the forum jumping at this offer. Wonder whether I am the only one finding this deal lucrative.
Due to the year change in those 5 mths what is gained as discount is going to be lost in resale value even if one keeps the car for 5 years.

A simpler way of looking at this is about 1.5L discount of the 4X4 model with 4 Airbags model of 2017. If it were 2018 it made superb sense, but with 2017 it is at best a ON PAR proposal that enables one to go for this variant with a small incremental investment but will loose the advantage while reselling the vehicle.

Last edited by ACM : 12th April 2018 at 16:22.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 17:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Due to the year change in those 5 mths what is gained as discount is going to be lost in resale value even if one keeps the car for 5 years.

Agree with you that there are no free lunches. Again for someone looking for the 4*4 it is a good saving upfront. 1.5 lakh saved today is worth more than losing it after 5 years.

It still is a great deal if colour is not the deal breaker. I would still say, spend a little more and get the Trailhawk if you are in the market for a 4*4 Jeep. Apart from the low range and auto box you get increased ride height, wading capacity,hopefully the 8.4 inch touch screen and probably goodies like powered seats.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 12th April 2018 at 17:09.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 19:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Hi Civic-Sense,

Looks like the availability of white and silver is not limited to dealership.
Maybe all the colors manufactured in Nov/Dec were silver and white. They do the colors in batches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

A simpler way of looking at this is about 1.5L discount of the 4X4 model with 4 Airbags model of 2017. If it were 2018 it made superb sense, but with 2017 it is at best a ON PAR proposal that enables one to go for this variant with a small incremental investment but will loose the advantage while reselling the vehicle.
I might be wrong, but after 5 years, the condition of the vehicle would take precedence over the year of manufacture. I for one would not worry if the car am buying was manufactured in Nov 2017 instead of Jan 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Agree with you that there are no free lunches. Again for someone looking for the 4*4 it is a good saving upfront. 1.5 lakh saved today is worth more than losing it after 5 years.
1.5L saved today would be worth 2.5L-3L, 5 years later, which would more than make up for the loss in resale, even if so happens. I am more worried about the dust it had gathered during the last 5 months.
Quote:
It still is a great deal if colour is not the deal breaker.
I might drool at a blue Compass that would pass me by for the next several years, but I wouldn't lose sleep about the color of the car I bought.
Quote:
I would still say, spend a little more and get the Trailhawk if you are in the market for a 4*4 Jeep. Apart from the low range and auto box you get increased ride height, wading capacity,hopefully the 8.4 inch touch screen and probably goodies like powered seats.
I have no off-road dreams, and the only think that entice me in the 4X4 is the additional airbags. The regular 4X4 is 2.5L more expensive (on road) than the discounted one. And Trailhawk, over 6 lakhs.

I know this post has hints of choice supportive bias. But I would happily change my booking to the petrol AT if Jeep decides to offer 6 airbags in it today.

Last edited by civic-sense : 12th April 2018 at 19:33.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 12:14   #35
BHPian

Had made up my mind on 4*2 limited (Diesel, MT) until I heard of this offer. I spoke with Landmark Gurgaon and here is what I learned

- There is a stock of 30 odd 4*4 that is being sold in this offer (All Nov/Dec 17 stock only - stock build up due to production done in excess of demand and only silver/white color)
- 10 of them have been 'bought'/'allocated' to landmark for Gurgaon region
- Offering at 22.5L on road (Gurgaon). I have a a sense it can be negotiated more ?

Month of manufacturing is less of a concern, the only concern, if at all, is about a ~5 month old car not in use. Should not be an issue but a proper PID is a must. 4 additional airbags and 4*4 is on par a good offer.

Anyone who has bought this 4*4 offer and has advise around the price and things to watch out for? Esp anyone in gurgaon?

Last edited by bhushan08 : 13th April 2018 at 12:37.
bhushan08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 12:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Got VIN from the SA. Decoding it shows manufacturing month as Nov 2017. 5 months old. Hoping everything is in good shape.

BTW I don't see anybody else in the forum jumping at this offer. Wonder whether I am the only one finding this deal lucrative.
Hi civic-sense, how did you decode the VIN? Can't find any reference for matching/decoding it.

Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2018, 00:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Hi civic-sense, how did you decode the VIN? Can't find any reference for matching/decoding it.

Thanks!
From this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post4296951

My VIN suffix is *BH, where B is the month. 1 being Jan and 9 being Sep, A should be Oct and B should be Nov. And of course, C is Dec.
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Only problem with the Trailhawk is that it is Automatic :-(
I think, internationally, it is offered as a 6 speed manual as well.
Are there any indications on whether the Compass Trailhawk will/won't be offered as a manual in India?

A sensibly priced Trailhawk with a manual might just be the answer to my current debilitating quandary - though of course, I'll have to really talk myself into buying an FCA product first.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
I think, internationally, it is offered as a 6 speed manual as well.

Are there any indications on whether the Compass Trailhawk will/won't be offered as a manual in India?

Internationally there are a lot of cars that come with manual like the VRS, Mini Cooper, A3 etc. Point being in India manual cars don't sell at 25 lacs+ segment. Also it helps the manufacturers to price it at a premium.
I don't think the Trailhawk will be launched in manual guise.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Internationally there are a lot of cars that come with manual like the VRS, Mini Cooper, A3 etc. Point being in India manual cars don't sell at 25 lacs+ segment. Also it helps the manufacturers to price it at a premium.
I don't think the Trailhawk will be launched in manual guise.
Ah. I should've mentioned my enquiry was in regard to reasons other than the usual reason, ie the one mentioned above.
Is there anything concrete in reports/rumours/inside info on that front?

Because otherwise, a man can at least cling to hope for a bit.
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Ah. I should've mentioned my enquiry was in regard to reasons other than the usual reason, ie the one mentioned above.
Is there anything concrete in reports/rumours/inside info on that front?

Because otherwise, a man can at least cling to hope for a bit.
Yesterday I did a TD of the Compass and the guy said that the Trailhawk is going to be launched exclusively with the 9 speed auto box. Why don't you go for the Compass 4x4 if you want a manual? Yes it doesn't have the rock mode, sunroof and great approach and departure angle but still should be fine until you are interested in the hardcore off-roading for which the Trailhawk is known for. You will get 6 airbags and save a lot of cash too!
Old 22nd May 2018, 21:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Yesterday I did a TD of the Compass and the guy said that the Trailhawk is going to be launched exclusively with the 9 speed auto box. Why don't you go for the Compass 4x4 if you want a manual? Yes it doesn't have the rock mode, sunroof and great approach and departure angle but still should be fine until you are interested in the hardcore off-roading for which the Trailhawk is known for. You will get 6 airbags and save a lot of cash too!
Well, I suppose that's as reliable as info can get given the circumstances.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I do take issue with the Compass LTD 4x4 - that approach angle thanks to that plastic lip is an atrocity. I've seen a Compass scrape that thing where even my Alto doesn't bat an eyelid.
And actually, a monocoque itself is a comedown for me. While I would be very interested to learn more about the whole modern Monocoque vs Ladder Frame debate from the perspective that more and more so-called "pukka" off-roaders are switching to monocoques (the new Discovery for example), I fear that might be going off-topic.

For what it's worth though, unless otherwise convinced by more well-rounded opinions, I will maintain my stance of "No Ladder Frame and/or 4WD means No SUV" (not that any label, even my own, would affect a purchase for me).

As a matter of fact, I wasn't even considering the Compass until the Trailhawk was announced for India. Hadn't even bothered to obsessively pour over the T-BHP review as I would usually do - I simply dismissed it as yet another raw deal for Indian customers.

But barring the whole monocoque issue, the superior ADR angles and power/torque to weight ratio than the default picks for me (Ford Endeavour/Toyota Fortuner) has me interested. Not only are those cars out of reach, but:
1. I don't really require that size of vehicle - the Compass's size is just fine.
2. While I know numbers don't mean anything, and if the Fortuner's edge over the Endeavour off-road is anything to go by, a well tuned traction control seems to be paramount off-road, no matter how many modes or lockable diffs there are (are not). I have reasonable hopes with Jeep in that regard.

Granted, in the off-roading aspect, my research is mostly theoretical, and nearly all knowledge second-hand at this point. But, over time with test rides and learning from this forum (about just how monocoque's can/can't be just as capable), I am open to settling on (as opposed to for) the Compass.

The whole "FCA" aspect of the matter of course, is something I don't know if I'll ever be able to overcome - the early reports of the compass certainly aren't helping.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind the driving dynamics of a monocoque on tarmac, and the Compass's suspension set-up sounds a la my favourite so far (the Polo in my book of limited experience) which certainly would be a plus.

And no, I don't have towing requirements either. But still, I need to understand the drawbacks of a monocoque expedition (touring + moderate off-road) usage better than simply - "don't overload it, or bash it too hard against a rock, or pay too much attention to the reduced articulation and it'll be about the same as a ladder frame" - which is about the sum total of my understanding right now.

And it wouldn't hurt to be able to just off-road for the heck of it with relatively reckless abandon when I want to. And somehow, I'm not to keen on buying another vehicle (Thar/Gypsy type) just for that.

That said, I've since understood that the Trailhawk diesel comes with a Torque Convertor A/T and not a DCT so that alleviates my fears somewhat - because I must admit that there is absolutely no force on the planet that could make me buy a DCT-equipped FCA vehicle anywhere, let alone in India.

Oh, and the absence of a sun-roof (on any vehicle but a pick-up truck) would be a deal breaker in my book. So, there's that. Don't ask why is my recommendation.

The "tldr" version of the above best summed up as:
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I suppose that's as reliable as info can get given the circumstances.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I do take issue with the Compass LTD 4x4 - that approach angle thanks to that plastic lip is an atrocity.
Isn't the plastic lip flexible? I mean that thing shouldn't come off after scraping.

Quote:
For what it's worth though, unless otherwise convinced by more well-rounded opinions, I will maintain my stance of "No Ladder Frame and/or 4WD means No SUV" (not that any label, even my own, would affect a purchase for me).
That's correct to an extent. The ladder on frame construction brings solidity which should be in a true blue SUV. Same case with 4x4. It's actually quite dependent on the usage. The Creta is positioned as the perfect SUV . Nowadays anything with a higher GC is called a SUV. If you want a true blue SUV you must look for the Endeavor/Pajero/T-Fort/Trailhawk or the Safari/Hexa/XUV if you are tight on a budget. If you are content with limited off-roading you should consider the crosssovers like Compass 4x4/ Tiguan 4x4/ Tuscon 4x4. Again in our market we have a different meaning of a crossover.
The monocoque has its own advantages: better ride and handling, shorter turning radius and car like driving behavior. A couple of days back I was driving a Safari Storme and my friend who was sitting at the passenger seat felt as if the food was moving in his stomach and I wasn't even cornering

Quote:
But barring the whole monocoque issue, the superior ADR angles and power/torque to weight ratio than the default picks for me (Ford Endeavour/Toyota Fortuner) has me interested. Not only are those cars out of reach, but:
1. I don't really require that size of vehicle - the Compass's size is just fine.
2. While I know numbers don't mean anything, and if the Fortuner's edge over the Endeavour off-road is anything to go by, a well tuned traction control seems to be paramount off-road, no matter how many modes or lockable diffs there are (are not). I have reasonable hopes with Jeep in that regard.
Then it's only the Trailhawk that would make sense for you. It will be the only true blue SUV that would be compact in size. I haven't considered the Thar or the Gurkha here as their positioning is quite different. On a different note both the Fortuner and Endeavor can similarly capable off-road machines and where the Ford makes you feel special when you sit inside, the T-Fort makes you feel special when you get it serviced.

Quote:
Granted, in the off-roading aspect, my research is mostly theoretical, and nearly all knowledge second-hand at this point. But, over time with test rides and learning from this forum (about just how monocoque's can/can't be just as capable), I am open to settling on (as opposed to for) the Compass.
The Trailhawk should be as capable as the big boys (read: Endy and T-Fort).

Quote:
The whole "FCA" aspect of the matter of course, is something I don't know if I'll ever be able to overcome - the early reports of the compass certainly aren't helping.
Given the current sales of the Compass, the A.S.S shouldn't be a bad place to begin with. I own a Fiat and from what I know Jeep would be coming up with exclusive Jeep service centers soon to prevent the brand dilution.

Quote:
That said, I certainly wouldn't mind the driving dynamics of a monocoque on tarmac, and the Compass's suspension set-up sounds a la my favourite so far (the Polo in my book of limited experience) which certainly would be a plus.
The Compass is a hoot to drive and ride would better the Polo without much effort. But with the Trailhawk, I assume that the handling would go down as it would sit higher than the normal Compass. Needless to say it would still be more fun to drive when compared to the big boys.

Quote:
And no, I don't have towing requirements either. But still, I need to understand the drawbacks of a monocoque expedition (touring + moderate off-road) usage better than simply - "don't overload it, or bash it too hard against a rock, or pay too much attention to the reduced articulation and it'll be about the same as a ladder frame" - which is about the sum total of my understanding right now.
While the ladder on frame cars are more robust I still wouldn't take anything away from the Trailhawk. I would suggest you to check the videos online pertaining to the Trailhawk's capabilities. This is ACI's review (in Australia):
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-vid...-review-407458

Quote:
That said, I've since understood that the Trailhawk diesel comes with a Torque Convertor A/T and not a DCT so that alleviates my fears somewhat - because I must admit that there is absolutely no force on the planet that could make me buy a DCT-equipped FCA vehicle anywhere, let alone in India.
While the ZF sourced 9-speed auto has had it's share of issues it is still being used a plethora of cars from the Range Rovers to the upcoming Honda CRV diesel.

Wait for the Trailhawk, I would say!

Last edited by Waspune : 23rd May 2018 at 14:21.
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:

I have driven Maruti-Suzuki over the past 13 years and have now shifted to Jeep.Am driving the petrol AT(yes this is the DDCT) for the past month.

What early reports are not helping?I have seen Compass owners really satisfied with their cars and the sales of 2000+ unit every month demonstrate that.

Jeep is trying all it can to make this product a grand success and pave the way for the launch of the Renegade at a competitive price later this year.Lets give credit where due
joy_swift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
I have driven Maruti-Suzuki over the past 13 years and have now shifted to Jeep.Am driving the petrol AT(yes this is the DDCT) for the past month.

What early reports are not helping?I have seen Compass owners really satisfied with their cars and the sales of 2000+ unit every month demonstrate that.

Jeep is trying all it can to make this product a grand success and pave the way for the launch of the Renegade at a competitive price later this year.Lets give credit where due
Probably referring to the clutch burn issues and tyre damages that has been reported. Also the DDCT has its fair of issues, just like all the other dual clutch transmission out there.

Hank told this to Walt in BB: "You want me to beg? You're the smartest guy I ever met, and you're too stupid to see -- he made up his mind 10 minutes ago."
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks