Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2018, 18:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nitin Gadkari: Automakers will soon deliver cars fitted with number plates

Source
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...i-2540317.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
Vehicles will soon come fitted with number plates and the cost will be included in the four-wheelers' price, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said.

At present, a vehicle license plate — which is attached to vehicles bearing its official registration number, commonly known as "a number plate" — is procured by various states separately from designated agencies.

"We have taken an important decision. Now, manufacturers will fit the plates and embossing will be done later through machine," Road Transport, Highways, Shipping, Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Gadkari told PTI.

The minister said the new technology number plates were intended to bring relief not only to consumers but also to bring in uniformity across states as each state used to buy these plates earlier.

The prices for number plates procured by states ranged from Rs 800 to Rs 40,000, he said.

At present, the the licence plate (number plates) number is issued by the district-level Regional Transport Office (RTO) of respective states.

Also, Gadkari said that there would be no compromise in terms of security as far as vehicles were concerned and such norms will be same for all models be it economy or luxury.

"We will not compromise with security.... what security norms we have done for economic models, same is for luxury and SUVs," he said.
A very good initiative that will not cost the government any money and will not cost much, either to the Manufacturer or the buyer.

Most importantly, it might bring an end to this fancy number plate era, if policed properly.

But the "embossing later" might give rise to another scam for the dealer to make money.
samaspire is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 18:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Nitin Gadkari: Automakers will soon deliver cars fitted with number plates

Will it include the registration number or is it just the plates ? If they can make everything online and get the embossing done at dealership, it could remove some bribe taking from the system. The plates should not be allowed to change to any other type with any other type of font for numbers.
srishiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 19:23   #3
BANNED

Good initiative but isn't this available currently? (If you are ready to wait for some days so that number can get allocated)
Many times people walk into showroom and expect vehicle to be delivered within day or two. They don't want to wait for procedure to complete.
During auspicious occasions, you can see many driving vehicles without number plates. Many know it's illegal but they want to get their vehicle early for some xyz reason.
Although dealers or car makers would be ready to deliver vehicle with number plates but will people wait?
Sameer 26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Every few years they announce some way to control the number plate. Earlier it was HSRP then the tamperproof bolts. None of these are fool proof.

Instead of going through this circus everytime, they just need to adopt a different way. Maybe tie the number to the owner and not the car. So even if you sell your car they don't worry about sending wrong challans and notices to earlier owners.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 11:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ambassador cars used to be delivered with factory fitted number plates in its days.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Another poorly thought out policy, similar to the RFID tags.

If the plates are factory fitted, how will embossing be done after the car is delivered ? wont the plates need to be removed to emboss ? The current embossing has the letters jutting out, not in.

Will dealer fit the plates after embossing? then it is same as current practice.
smsrini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I am lost!

"At present the number plate is procured by various states separately from designated agencies" - what does this mean? Who are these "various states"? there is a small shop in the bazar near my house who does number plates and I got a pair from him for my car as the old ones were fading.

Is this shop one of the "various states" or is he one of the "designated agencies"?
anandpadhye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Instead of going through this circus everytime, they just need to adopt a different way. Maybe tie the number to the owner and not the car. So even if you sell your car they don't worry about sending wrong challans and notices to earlier owners.
This is a good idea but a number plate is needed to reveal alot more information other than the owners name. What happens when I sell my old car and buy a new one? I can buy two new cars and use the same plate (just a loophole, not practical) but I can have a hit an run in an SUV and claim that my number plate is of a hatch hence raise doubts on the someone using a duplicate number plate! After all its not difficult to make a good replica.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Source
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...i-2540317.html

Excerpt:

A very good initiative that will not cost the government any money and will not cost much, either to the Manufacturer or the buyer.
₹800 I can understand but ₹ 40000 for a number plate !! The cost of the number plate should be the same irrespective of the vehicle. All 4 wheeler plates should cost the same.

₹ 40K is unjustifiable by any sense, unless they plan to make it out of silver (sarcasm intended) .
mikem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:07   #10

All I can think of now is, it's part of standardized unification process which was done earlier to link multiple Ids by Aadhaar. As One Nation, One permit is also in pipeline it's imperative.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-road-tax.html

It should be part of road safety and tracking mechanism, As with various states having different laws, it is difficult to identify and track other state vehicles, If it's standardized, it will be easier for speed camera to capture any Indian license plate. Everyday we see some vehicles with customized number plates which are often difficult to identify, be it font size or font itself.

As some states like Maharashtra and Tamilnadu are setting up their own system it wouldn't be effective on other state vehicles. To bring all under same roof it should be standard.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...nt-device.html
IRideScent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
This is a good idea but a number plate is needed to reveal alot more information other than the owners name. What happens when I sell my old car and buy a new one?
You transfer the registration number from old car to new one. new owner of your old car needs to get the car registered or use the number he already has if he too is upgrading.

Quote:
I can buy two new cars and use the same plate (just a loophole, not practical) but I can have a hit an run in an SUV and claim that my number plate is of a hatch hence raise doubts on the someone using a duplicate number plate! After all its not difficult to make a good replica.
This is simple. Everytime you buy a new or old car you still need to get them registered at RTO. Just that new number is not issued just updated records with number to be associated with the car.

And anyways when you buy a new car dealer should not give the car without registering. For first time buyer he needs to get a new number. For people upgrading they can opt to transfer the number from other car to this car but then registration of older car will cease with RTO with that number.

Actually the system is more fool proof than what we have now. Plus they can put Aadhar to good use with this.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:04   #12
BHPian

Re: Nitin Gadkari: Automakers will soon deliver cars fitted with number plates

This would help in standardizing the number plate design so that people don't unleash their creativity on designing their number plates like we see today.

Little OT, But what is more important is to fix the transfer of ownership process that is a real pain now. If I sell my car to a used car dealer there is absolutely no accountability on the dealer's side to change the ownership. I am completely at the mercy of the dealer to get it transferred. And I am responsible for anything that happens when the car is on my name regardless of whether I have sold it or not!! Not fair at all!
Old 2nd April 2018, 19:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
₹800 I can understand but ₹ 40000 for a number plate !! The cost of the number plate should be the same irrespective of the vehicle. All 4 wheeler plates should cost the same.

₹ 40K is unjustifiable by any sense, unless they plan to make it out of silver (sarcasm intended) .
The only reason for a price range of ₹800-40k that I can think of is that this would include the price of VIP / fancy numbers. If so, this would be a welcome move indeed, insofar as curtailing corruption in the allocation of such numbers is concerned. The uniformity in size, font and overall design across the country would also be a welcome change.

But, as others have pointed out, policy statements with respect to number plates have often rung hollow. Also, what is the meaning of "manufacturers will fit the plates and embossing will be done later through machine"??!
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:40   #14
BHPian

The rule is as stupid as it sounds. If there is something really ingenious, I'd like to hear it. But I suspect it is nothing more than another beurocracy added to the car buying process.

A better way would be to have RTOs issue pre-manufactured plates at registration, which would be tied to the owner and not the car. The US way.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 21:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I fully agree with this solution. This is how it works here in Belgium. At first, I thought it was funny that the registration is tied to the owner, but then realized that it's actually a smart system.
The registration stays with the owner, not the car. It gets transferred from your old car to your new car, and that ensures that the owner can always be tracked down by the authorities.

OT: This system also gives you full liberty to have a custom registration here. For example, my registration plate could read "Joxster", and when I do buy a car worth having a custom registration plate on, I most certainly will

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks