Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2018, 10:19   #16
BHPian

re: Which car do you want to grow old with?

The car that I would like to grow old with would have to be our 99 Omni (the one on my team-bhp avatar). She has been with me since my 5th birthday & will continue to be a part of our garage for a long time to come. This was the car that introduced me to the world of cars & made me a petrol head.

I have to agree that the Omni & the term "petrol head" doesn't go together, but I simply don't care. Whatever car I might own in the coming years, our 99 Omni would still remain the closest car to my heart. Even thinking practically, I believe keeping a simple car like Omni running for a really long time won't be that difficult.

Here are a few photos of our 99 OMNI:

Which car do you want to grow old with?-omni-front1.jpg

Which car do you want to grow old with?-omni-interior1.jpg

Personally I don't believe that the IC engine powered cars would go out of production so soon. I believe that even by 2050 we would be having IC engine powered cars, at least in developing countries like India.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 1st April 2018 at 10:25.
chiranjitp is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 10:42   #17
BHPian

First car I drove was the Ford Prefect(in the early sixties ). It was contemporary technology then. A number of brands and cars over the next five decades plus till I settled for the GT TSI a year back. I believe the defining buzzword in advanced years should be " ease of driving. " Reasons are pretty obvious--failing eyesight,slower reflexes, back problems etc etc. I have a spondilitis issue as well. Hatchbacks are preferred ( what with kids having flown the nest and the chaotic traffic conditions). My take on this issue would be to go for the car that makes you feel comfortable and safe and does not make driving feel a laborious chore.
vkr15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 14:52   #18
BHPian

The car I would like to grow old with is the Volvo S60 pre-facelifted one and also in vibrant copper.
It's low stance, exclusive factor on the road, a powerful yet reliable engine(215 bhp D5)and finally it's understated looks. Hope I come across a less driven and well maintained car in the pre-owned market.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car do you want to grow old with?-img_20180225_224050.jpg  

harish619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 20:37   #19
BHPian

It has to be a Mini Cooper s in Sunburst orange with a good music system .
I had one , will soon buy another one for life .
.Albatross. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 00:08   #20
BHPian

A Dodge Challenger SRT Demon to scare the motherboard off self drive cars, A land cruiser 200 series to tackle jungle robots and a Pagani Zonda Cinque for weekend blasts !!
Astraholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Mine would have to be my current car - the Ford Aspire. Why?
  1. Comfortable ingress even for older folks. Not perfect but not bad either
  2. Comfortable on bad roads. You can thrash it across rumblers or broken black top easily
  3. True Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - I get 13.5 kpl city mileage and if you wish, it can humble most cars on the roads with its crazy power:weight ratio. I know that I can unleash my inner imp at any moment. And that's truly a reason to smile every time!
  4. Inexpensive to fix. When I'm old - I would not have that much money to spend to keep tinkering in the car
PS: This assumes the tranny is reliable. I'm at 12k - no way of knowing that yet #fingerscrossed
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:01   #22
BHPian

My choice would be the Honda Civic.

It's been over 10 years, but the design is still so desirable, and the interiors look so welcoming yet functional. It's spacious, cosy and inviting.
The engine is the best in class, with great performance as well as decent FE.
It isn't huge as a boat, making it difficult to manoeuvre nor too small for the snobbish eyes.
Great modding capabilities / parts bin ensures that customizations never end. Also, servicing it won't break my bank balance.

Old-gen Honda reliability. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by sharktale : 2nd April 2018 at 10:04.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:02   #23
BANNED

The car that in itself is an icon and is in my bucket list, it's the Ford Mustang that I would definitely buy sometime in future and would love to live with it till my last breath.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:27   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which car do you want to grow old with?

Quote:
Which car do you want to grow old with?
The easiest question I have ever answered on Team-BHP.

A companion who has been with me for 21 years, and will continue into my senior citizen decades. Good thing that she is mechanically simple, so it's easy to fix & rebuild. How she makes me feel hasn't yet been matched by any other car:
Which car do you want to grow old with?-dsc02830.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Currently growing up with these two
Legends man! Both of them.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

I would prefer something which is safe and easy to drive – it could be something like a Volvo XC60 / V90 cross country (or its equivalent then). And then a Mazda MX-5 as the daily driver
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:18   #26
BHPian

Which car do you want to grow old with?

*Kind of party pooper alert*

Well, never could afford those magnificent sets of wheels but for a modest workhorse ,my 2007 Innova G - where my daughters grew up, where all my girls could have their own space and @ 130K & 11 years relatively younger still, that has outgrown two sets of new wheels too... In No other Car I could feel as much home as yet ! Yeah call me whatever you want... my last ride will be in that car ...

Last edited by subbu567 : 2nd April 2018 at 14:31.
subbu567 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:23   #27
Ice
BHPian

Easy. The car that brought me home for the first time, three days after i was born, and the car that brought my daughter home for the first time.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-0101.jpg
The Amby will endure. She's pushing forty three years now, and the Matador engine will soldier on as long as she's taken care of. The rest of the body needs a lot of TLC - more on this in a dedicated thread.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-tfort.jpg
The Fortuner is a gem, and will outlive me quite easily. 89,000 km on the clock, and still as fresh as the day we brought her home. I don't see myself needing anything more than these two champs for the rest of my life.
Ice is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:24   #28
BHPian

I don't want to grow old...and that too with one car! I have a wife to grow old with, that itself is enough in terms of commitment .

If I do grow old though, I would like to keep changing my cars every few years to enjoy the latest and greatest of technology. To drive a car when I am old, I am sure I'll need all the technology possible when I can't see well or sit straight for long hours or have poor reflexes..
shifu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

If I could travel back in time, I could have brought back our old faithful Ambassador - there is no other car which I would love to grow old with.

I still curse the day when I decided to sell her off

More so, because of the fact that the guy who took delivery couldn't handle her and then sold her to another guy, who scrapped her. Sadly, I came to know about it only when I tried to buy her back

If I can have any car in the universe, she has to be a Saoutchik.

If I have to pick from a practical viewpoint, it will be either an Ambassador or an SWB Mahindra Jeep.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 2nd April 2018 at 15:25.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:11   #30
Team-BHP Support

A 4WD Japanese SUV with an AT. Preferably a Toyota[seeing Indian operations] but heart desires a Mitsubishi after driving few around.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks