Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 14:22   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
With all due respect, you are contradicting yourself here.
No I'm not, giving two different perspectives.

The CRV petrol is nowhere a mid spec model, it is as loaded at the 32 lakh 4x4 model. Only thing missing is the last row seats which isn't really a "luxury feature"
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:35   #227
BHPian

Honda have done what they do best, making other cars in the segment look VFM just like how they priced the first gen Jazz in favour of the i20.

~40 lacs for a 120 BHP diesel SUV? Tough to choose this over

Kodiaq @ ~ 1 lac more
Tiguan @ ~ 2 lacs lesser
Tucson @ ~ 7 Lacs lesser

The Endeavour & Fortuner are within touching distance. I know its not a right comparison but very hard to ignore from VFM point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The CRV petrol is nowhere a mid spec model, it is as loaded at the 32 lakh 4x4 model. Only thing missing is the last row seats which isn't really a "luxury feature"
2 more things that one would miss is the AWD and the 9 speed torque converter in place of CVT.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 9th October 2018 at 14:59.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:37   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Petrol is 2WD only. Only diesel comes with 4WD.
Old 9th October 2018, 14:43   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I remember your old post on the requirements of this car and I do honestly agree with you that the CRV makes for the best choice - for your mom who wants a big SUV, but without the ladder on frame bulk. Good choice on the petrol CRV.

I only wanted to point out that 14% is only on paper w.r.t to top variants compared to the earlier generation. However - The old CRV at 24.4 L was a bargain in comparison to the new one since it gets 2.4L engine and 4WD (CRV uses it for extra traction and safety, and not offroad abilities).

The current CRV mechanically would be comparable to the olders version's 2.0 2WD AT which was 21.3L. And hence a 32% increase in price. Totally upto your perspective to judge if its worth it or not.

I'd have picked up the older gen's 2.4 AWD if dealers have it in stock - not only a better car, but around 20% cheaper on-road too - assuming no offers to sweeten it further.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th October 2018 at 14:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:50   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'd have picked up the older gen's 2.4 AWD if dealers have it in stock - not only a better car, but around 20% cheaper on-road too - assuming no offers to sweeten it further.
The older CR-V might've had more power, but the new one has evolved in every other way - dynamics, interiors, quality, refinement, equipment.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:58   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The older CR-V might've had more power, but the new one has evolved in every other way - dynamics, interiors, quality, refinement, equipment.
More power and AWD. But otherwise agreed.

Whether its worth a near 40% on-road price increase compared to the earlier generation 2.0 2WD AT? Will wait for the Team Bhp review to get the final verdict.
Old 9th October 2018, 15:10   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Petrol is 2WD only. Only diesel comes with 4WD.
Yes I am well aware. We are comparing features of the petrol v/s diesel not the mechanics.

In terms of features the petrol is fully loaded- panaromic sunroof, 6 airbags, leather, lane assist, 7inch touch screen, etc.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:28   #233
Team-BHP Support

Considering that it’s in the company of the Tiguan and Kodiaq, I don't think the pricing is that bad; even the competing VAG twins are not that big on power. And now with 7-seater advantage I feel the CR-V will easily do around 200 units per month.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:33   #234
BHPian

[*]Civic to be launched soon as well.

Did they indicate a timeline for Civic launch? Later this year? Or only next year?
Old 9th October 2018, 16:19   #235
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
~40 lacs for a 120 BHP diesel SUV? Tough to choose this over

Kodiaq @ ~ 1 lac more
Tiguan @ ~ 2 lacs lesser
Tucson @ ~ 7 Lacs lesser
Almost an irrelevant a launch as the Accord Hybrid. At least the Accord was a lazy effort CBU. Why did Honda even bother with localisation for the CR-V, or assembling it here? Better to have just imported some as CBUs.

I'd any day buy the Tucson or Kodiaq if I wanted a monocoque crossover. Body-on-frame = Endeavour.

This is yet another dead-on-arrival product.

Coming up next, Civic at 25 lakhs? They'd rather not launch cars if they have to goof up like this.

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2018 at 16:21.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:31   #236
Senior - BHPian

Honda CR-V was expensive back then. However the problem is, there are alternatives - Tuscon,Kodiaq, Tiguan. Add to that Q3/X1 after discount will be available at similar price tag. Despite all the odd's CR-V would have pulled clients had they offered 160HP version. They could have probably got this as CKD and priced it on par with Kodiaq!
Old 9th October 2018, 16:39   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Almost an irrelevant a launch as the Accord Hybrid. At least the Accord was a lazy effort CBU. Why did Honda even bother with localisation for the CR-V, or assembling it here?

This is yet another dead-on-arrival product.

Coming up next, Civic at 25 lakhs? They'd rather not launch cars if they have to goof up like this.
Completely agree with you. This will be a DOA product for Honda and I fail to see what benefit of localization and engine power reduction has actually been accrued to Honda from this exercise. Seems like they were in no mood to pass that on to customers. While Honda makes great cars, their pricing strategy is flawed and it will ensure that the CRV remains a niche product like it was earlier.
Seems like there is still enough space left in the segment for the Jeep Compass diesel At 4x4 to slot in at 25 lacs ex showrooom now! Honda should have ideally targeted the 25-28 lacs ex showroom segment and it would have done well.

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th October 2018 at 16:42.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 17:20   #238
Senior - BHPian

36-37 lakh rupee on road car which has engine power which is less than a 15 lakh rupee Hyundai Verna, has the same 1.6 liter engine as the Verna, this is how people are going to read it.

Honda, get ready to offer some massive discounts on the CRV in a couple of months time because I am 99% sure, no one is going to buy this thing.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 18:23   #239
BHPian

Initial price shocking aside, Honda surely seems to have its priorities sorted out here in India finally and are going back to their original root - Premium-ness coupled with Japanese reliability

CRV, coming in it's 7 Seater this time, was never meant to set the sales on fire. One would think that such statements are bull and that every manufacturer wants their cars to sell like hot cakes. But do some digging and you will find that as we go up the ladder, this is very common. Even if the CRV was to be introduced at 2-3L lesser than launched today, they are not going to make a huge difference in sales. This pricing clearly is set to ensure that Honda Mojo is brought back- Premium-ness, reliability and most importantly desirability. This gives them enough and more room to price their future cars - Civic, Compass/Harrier competitor, updated City as well. Coming to think of it, they can even squeeze 2 5-seater SUV's now, one competing with Creta/Duster and the other competing with Tuscon/Kia/Compass!

Regarding engine, we sure are disappointed with 120bhp one but even its direct competitor Kodiaq is no Ferrari in terms of power but impressed our reviewers. So we will have to wait for our in-house review to get the correct answer.

With Amaze bringing in the numbers and big guys hopefully bringing the goodwill back, Honda should be cautiously optimistic.
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 18:36   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Initial price shocking aside, Honda surely seems to have its priorities sorted out here in India finally and are going back to their original root - Premium-ness coupled with Japanese reliability

Regarding engine, we sure are disappointed with 120bhp one but even its direct competitor Kodiaq is no Ferrari in terms of power but impressed our reviewers. So we will have to wait for our in-house review to get the correct answer.

With Amaze bringing in the numbers and big guys hopefully bringing the goodwill back, Honda should be cautiously optimistic.
Agree with you. I feel that the market for soft roaders like the CR-V / Tucson / Kodiaq / Tiguan gang is much smaller than the market for proper SUVs like the Fortuner and Endeavour. And that is reflected in the sales figures.

Tucson - 171
Tiguan - 124
Kodiaq - 147

Fortuner - 1,568
Endeavour - 491

Forget the Fortuner, the Endeavour outsells the 3 soft-roaders COMBINED.

Even if the CR-V was priced at 25 lakhs, it wouldn't have sold more than say 250 copies a month. So it's understandable that Honda chose to maximise profits. I don't think they're aiming for more than 150 copies a month.

That said, I still feel Honda should've given the 160ps version. Though the initial reviews for the 120ps version are good, more power is always welcome. At 40 lakhs, one wants the performance to be 'special' not just 'adequate'.

The CR-V is overpriced, yes. But then so are its competitors.

Let's see how the market reacts!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th October 2018 at 23:26. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Aaron:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks