Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 07:55   #1426
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

As already conveyed by RavenAvi the Harrier will source the infotainment touchscreen system from Visteon. This unit will be the largest seen yet on a Tata and will feature an 8.8 inch screen size.
Source: Autocar and Rushlane.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-system-410383
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20181107092840_tata_harrier_screen.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierq501suvspied3.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 08:06   #1427
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Have a question for all the technical folks out here.
When an engine is detuned, what does that exactly mean? Is the hardware different or just the maps?

What I was wondering is, how difficult is it to get a diesel tuning box to bump up the bhp & torque! Boxes are already available for the Jeep Compass.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:10   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
As already conveyed by RavenAvi the Harrier will source the infotainment touchscreen system from Visteon. This unit will be the largest seen yet on a Tata and will feature an 8.8 inch screen size.
Source: Autocar and Rushlane.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-system-410383
This is one department where Tata has outshined the competition, who offer Nippon systems with poorly tuned speakers. One definitely feels no need for changing any portion of the ICE in any of the new Tata cars. More automakers should tie up with the likes of Bose and Harman for audio systems
HighwayofLife is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 09:37   #1429
BHPian

I see this vehicle being rumoured to be launched with a Manual gearbox as a minor (and rare) potential victory for MT in these times, even if the real reason could be factors like supply or manufacturing challenges.

I hope that MT remains an option throughout the range (engine and trim combinations) and is not given step-motherly treatment like Toyota does.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 8th November 2018 at 09:38.
vipul_singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 10:50   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Some info on the Harrier by a source who wishes to remain anonymous:

7) Petrol and 4WD will launch later on. Only Diesel and FWD is ready for now.
12) Comes with 3 modes : Normal, Wet and Rough.

Point no 7 and 12 don't go hand in hand. I might be wrong, how usefull will these modes be on a FWD vehicle without a proper 4WD system. Something is fishy.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:03   #1431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Harrier to get 8.8-inch infotainment system supplied by Visteon.
I guess this has something to do with sharing the architecture of the Land Rover Discovery Sport
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:15   #1432
BHPian

Are there any almost production ready test mules spotted with AT and/or drive modes selector? That could be a clue if this (lack of AT and 4x4) is noise or news.
puntOOs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:50   #1433
BHPian

I have been watching this thread for quite sometime, because I got excited about the vehicle and the proposition it potentially has to someone like me who's looking for an upgrade come next year. Like many others on this thread, I had also zero'd in on Hexa (XTA) version. But it seemed too big for all my commute requirements. Harrier seem to check all boxes for under 20 Lakhs. When Tata announced that the proce bracket (on-road) will be between 16-20 lakhs across variants, the presumption made was that it included an Automatic version as well. So, if the recent rumour that Auto and AWD will not be part of the initial launch is true, i feel let down by Tata. The fact is that Auto transmission should be the default variant for any new launches from any brand whatsoever...

Question to the experts here - Is it so difficult to get an Auto transmission part of a launch for an Auto giant like Tata, when Toyota, HOnda and Hyundai can do it easily? Which transmission do they use in Hexa?
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:59   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
So, if the recent rumour that Auto and AWD will not be part of the initial launch is true, i feel let down by Tata.
Why are we let down by what we already know to be rumours? The vehicle hasn’t been launched, why drive up your expectations about a product that will be available in 2 months and feel let down even before even the media drives have been completed?

I know many are excited about the product, and there have been discussions on pricing and variants like these are things we are finalising.

Tata is the manufacturer and hopefully they have some sort of product team, and a commercial team that have targets to sell x number of vehicles, and a C-level who are responsible to ensure that the investment they made pays off.

They should be breaking their heads, and hopefully they are. Chill.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 12:00   #1435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Question to the experts here - Is it so difficult to get an Auto transmission part of a launch for an Auto giant like Tata, when Toyota, Honda and Hyundai can do it easily? Which transmission do they use in Hexa?
Compared to these companies - Tata is a minnow and lacks the purchasing power. Hyundai makes its own autobox.

My guess is that

1: Tata need to assess the volumes based on the bookings in order to commit to Hyundai about the units and correspondingly the price

2: We don't have a clue about the petrol variant engine. Optimisation and validation of this engine with the auto transmission will take time.

Best would be to start with the higher volume variants first which is locally sourced.
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 12:18   #1436
BHPian

Is the display visible in the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Harrier to get 8.8-inch infotainment system supplied by Visteon.

Attachment 1816489

Source:
Old 8th November 2018, 12:27   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet it's the part sticking up and out of the dash right behind the "ww.auto" part of the watermark - the placement seems like a halfway house between the EcoSport/Nexon-like jutting out placement on top of the horizontal portion of the dash, and the integrated top screen of newer LR/RRs.

Anyhow, certainly looks like an 8.8" diagonal (I know that's hard to say without scale, but I think I'm right).
Old 8th November 2018, 12:52   #1438
BHPian

As a person who upgraded to Hexa XTA from my 2014 XUV earlier this year (April) after a lot of contention between Ford Endeavor 2.2 and consideration to wait for the H7X, I think I have mixed reactions towards the Harrier. The design though fresh looks more like following Nexon stable vs Hexa stable. I could be one of those in minority who prefers the sharp, sofisticated look of the Hexa vs the bulbous look of Nexon / Harrier, which for me is very similar to the XUV which is my opinion was a design that catches up pretty quickly but doesn't stay with you for long. I still honestly feel Hexa & Tigor are two of the best designed cars from TML.

Now what I do miss in my Hexa is the lack of space at the front for driver to store his phone, wallet, nick-nacks, etc. And I also miss the Android Auto compatibility on long commutes because running navigation on your phone for hours really sets your phone on fire. I have negotiated that marginally by opting for a magnetic phone mount on AC vent that keeps the phone cool and since Hexa's AC is a chiller, a slight disruption of air flow in one of the vents doesn't affects much. However I really welcome the large 8 inch Visteon to be offered by TML.

But like most cars with similar placement, the front middle AC vents are pushed downwards. For me that's not great because both in Nexon and the XUV i have had my left hand getting frozen from the AC making it a bit uncomfortable no matter how much you alter the vents and the direction. Also I have ridden in the Discover Sport and while it's certainly more agile in handling vs the Hexa, it's nowhere as plush / comfortable as the Hexa. I'm one of those old school guys who thinks SUVs need to driven like one and not like hot hatches, hence the compromise on ride quality for better cornering handling isn't quite the trade-off I would want manufacturers to make. Take a look at the Merc GLS. For years it's priority still has been on a comfortable ride with people and luggage vs being a street smoker.

So I'll reserve my opinion on Harrier and H7X as an overall package until it's test driven. I still feel over a period of time of ownership, Hexa will put a bigger smile on faces vs the Harrier for guys who buy AT SUVs for better ride over broken tarmac and long trips. But if the H7X betters that it should be a great news.

The Harrier though I feel with lesser power vs H7X & Compass, no AT, and no AWD, will at best be a potential that TML can achieve and it's sad that it has been the story since Zest / Bolt. Hexa again is a fantastic product which when couldn't set the sales charts on fire was again labeled as a great promise to what could come in future from TML. Sadly that breakthrough is yet to be achieved. TML is suffering from over promising and under delivering vs the vice versa.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 13:07   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Anyhow, certainly looks like an 8.8" diagonal (I know that's hard to say without scale, but I think I'm right).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
The display surely is 8.8 diagonally as seen in spy pics posted earlier on the thread.

Reposting for a quick dekko. The AC Vents sit below the display.

Cheers
Uday
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharriersuvspotted31536912156.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierinteriordashboardimages2.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-161652.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 15:16   #1440
Senior - BHPian

So this happened to my reply on ACI's tweet regarding Harrier being launched with only a manual + FWD combination.
Tata Motors replied to my tweet, attaching it here for the benefit of the community.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-capture3.png

I really hope Tata realises the importance of launching a product that is as close to complete rather than the piecemeal approach they are contemplating. I really do not fancy a AWD but my next car has to have an auto gearbox.
hiren.mistry is offline   (31) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks