Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 15:55   #2161
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
For me, this is like my favorite super star's average movie. The star's previous movies are all hits, it has a big director, huge cast, the trailer is fantastic, you eagerly wait for months and book tickets but then it just does not live up to the expectations and you have this awkward feeling at the interval.

It could be a commendable effort by Tata but I would really love to see how it's worth the speculative 21 lakhs OTR. Jeep has the perceived badge value. But would really love to understand the specialty here. The fit and finish and interiors are great and so are they on the Creta and Jeep too. The touchscreen on the Creta seems a lot better than the one on the harrier from the reviews. No auto is a huge dent too.

I think the pricing will be very important for the success of harrier. At the current speculated price I don't see many takers. Hyundai will just launch an automatic SX(O) with 6 airbags at 19.5 lakhs and further take it away. The Jeep buyer will always buy a Jeep. Would really love to hear from members here on who is really going to buy the harrier.

BTW, I am super happy Tata Hexa owner. Just completed 15k without even a small hiccup. The vehicle and tata service have both been fantastic. So I have nothing against Tata here. Now I feel at 19.7 lakhs OTR, the price when I bought, what a VFM buy the hexa was!
First of all, Tata are yet to announce the pricing Variant wise. Secondly, 21 lakhs OTR 'could be' the price for Auto variant Top of the line which shall be launched eventually.

The skepticism about the Harrier on this forum is unbelievable. I myself own and drive a Tata Hexa and considering how fantastic the vehicle is, it makes an even more compelling reason to look at Harrier as a prospective buy, as I find the Harrier to be much more Modern inside and out with an even better finish.

And if someone thinks Hyundai Creta is a better buy than Harrier, where Harrier trumps it on Design, Size, Space, Power, Much better ride and handling, they are more than welcome to still buy the Creta. And by the way, Creta gets a pretty average CVT while Harrier gets the superior Torque Convertor from a segment higher Tuscon nonetheless. I for one though would be more than happy to spend a couple of lakhs premium for the Harrier over the Creta for the simple fact that it is much better engineered car with sounder dynamics over the Hyundai, some glossy features not withstanding.

Infact, I feel the only true competitor to the Harrier is the Jeep Compass which however suffers on Space, Interiors and Street presence Vis a Vis better brand value and a slightly more powered engine. And considering that the Harrier would be priced better than Jeep, pound for pound, it shall make more sense to a lot of buyers.

When we don't directly pit Compass against the Creta, Harrier cannot be too. I am perfectly fine with the Harrier being slot just between the Hyundai Creta and Jeep Compass as it where it makes most sense and would be a great buy.

I know atleast 2 in my circle who have booked the Harrier and are even happier after the reviews. To quote you, this is my Fav Superstar's Blockbuster movie he always deserved but never delivered until now.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2018 at 19:26. Reason: Spacing
Flash777 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 16:17   #2162
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
Power
But the power to weight ratio is still more for Creta.

Creta - 126hp / 1376kg = 90 bhp/ton.
Harrier - 140hp / 1675kg = 83.58 bhp / ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
And by the way, Creta gets a pretty average CVT while Harrier gets the superior Torque Convertor from a segment higher Tuscon nonetheless.
This is wrong buddy. Creta gets the 6 speed TC only, not a CVT.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th December 2018 at 16:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 16:51   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is wrong buddy. Creta gets the 6 speed TC only, not a CVT.
Sorry then. My bad.

If it was a Torque Convertor, it didn't feel like a good one. Wasn't impressed driving it, compared to the one on my Hexa. Drove the Tuscon and it did feel a better TC gearbox.

The PTW ratio you mentioned though didn't seem significant enough to give the nod to Creta in the Power Stakes so much so that one should prefer it over the Harrier for power. Even Stevens there then.

Last edited by Flash777 : 8th December 2018 at 16:58.
Old 8th December 2018, 17:01   #2164
Distinguished - BHPian

Is that the exhaust? Whatever it maybe, that thing is sharp.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_4.jpg

Image taken from the video (check at 5.15)

Source - YouTube
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 17:09   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But the power to weight ratio is still more for Creta.

Creta - 126hp / 1376kg = 90 bhp/ton.
Harrier - 140hp / 1675kg = 83.58 bhp / ton.

What difference does BHP make, it is just a marketing figure..
It is torque that leads to good start and acceleration. Creta is just 265Nm@1900 rpm, where as Harrier has 350 NM from 1750 rpm to 2500RPM onward and above 200 Nm at barely 1000 RPM.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 18:14   #2166
BHPian

This will & should sell. What a fab product inside out & clearly tonnes of JLR into this one.

India do have lots of such folks who are in market for a well priced SUV & Harrier clearly looks like an aspirational product , extremely handsome & will have lot of takers, even from hinterlands as TATA has better reach/dealership presence then FCA.

While lot of people say compass is selling because of Jeep brand, I agree, yet beg to slightly (strictly slightly) disagree here as I know of few jeep owners (Laymen with money & not really auto buffs)who took it for the look & presence it has.

By no means I am saying that we, enthusiasts are higher beings or Laymen with money lower. But this car will have takers for the looks & presence it offers & there is a customer base that just wants that; bold exterior "get out of my way" looks.

No offence to anyone & neither am I generalizing/stereotyping; just my opinion basis my experience on interacting with various people who own or wish to own such vehicles
yogeshsom29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 18:51   #2167
BHPian

I am not able understand why tata is paying big bucks to Fiat for the 2 lit. diesel when they had Hexa's 2.2 with 400 NM engine?
I think with offering 400 NM they would changed the performance game and also would have been able to price it better.
What do the experts think?
Rohit Tripathi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 19:09   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
I am not able understand why tata is paying big bucks to Fiat for the 2 lit. diesel when they had Hexa's 2.2 with 400 NM engine?
I think with offering 400 NM they would changed the performance game and also would have been able to price it better.
What do the experts think?
Not BS-6 ready yet. Also, the engine on the Harrier is transversely mounted to drive the front wheels.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 19:23   #2169
BHPian

On the AWD/4WD front, here is an article from Rushlane that says - "Harrier 2WD is good enough, 4WD might not get launched"

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/tata-ha...-12289746.html

Quote:
New Tata Harrier is designed for Indian road conditions. Be it good roads or bad roads or no roads, Tata Harrier is good enough for all terrains; and that too being just 2WD. This is thanks to multiple drive modes and traction control on offer. On top of all this, sales data reveals that there are hardly any buyers for 4WD variant. With 2WD capable enough, there are no plans to launch 4WD Harrier as of now. To highlight the 2WD, Tata Motors has shared a new teaser video in which the Harrier is shown bashing sand dunes.
They have further quoted about sales figures not justifying AWD/4WD development.

I'd leave it to our mods to comment (based on the media drive) whether this could be interpreted as a genuine observation or a paid advertorial (which I hope isn't the case). Further, would Terrain- response modes and ESP, make for a sort-of-4wd?
Old 8th December 2018, 20:30   #2170
BHPian

Does Harrier come with dead pedal and cornering lights? Couldn't see these in any of the feature list.
Old 8th December 2018, 20:31   #2171
BANNED

So according to some Tata Harrier would have been the perfect vehicle if it had
1. 4WD
2. Automatic variant
3. Petrol option

As Harrier doesn't have these suddenly XUV is better! I will believe XUV's credibility only after it gets crash tested. I have seen it getting into an accident and not even a single airbag being deployed. I know that Harrier hasn't been crash tested officially, but if Nexon scores a 5*, then there is no way Harrier going less than 4*.

Now coming to 4WD, if it were available the sales would increase from an imaginary 100 to 102, that's it.

Regarding automatic, Tata has said it is in the works and will be launched in 2019.

And coming to Petrol option, if it were available in the SUV segment the sales may increase by 5-10%. Tata may not have found a good petrol engine that could be mated to Harrier.

If all these options were there, will all the people who buy Creta, Compass changeover to Harrier? Unlikely, then why single out Tata?

If you feel XUV, Creta or Compass is better, well just buy that. It's Tata's loss afterall. At the end of the day there is not a perfect car for everyone of us. Tata has done better than most mass market manufacturers when it comes to safety and value for money. Even Anand Mahindra had sent a tweet to congratulate Tata on the 5* star Nexon, his XUV has not even been sent for a test! Shows their faith in their product. Same about Creta, why not crash test and show us their commitment to quality. Till that happens I will have to say Tata has got my respect. Harrier may fail, but Tata can't be blamed for not trying.

PS : Seems like Tata is considering Fiat 1.4 petrol engine for Harrier.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 8th December 2018 at 20:52.
The Rationalist is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 20:44   #2172
BANNED

Powerdrift review is out. Not the ‘tenhut’ kind, but more of a ‘kartikeya’ kind.

Last edited by pavi : 8th December 2018 at 20:46.
pavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 21:20   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
It could be a commendable effort by Tata but I would really love to see how it's worth the speculative 21 lakhs OTR. Jeep has the perceived badge value. But would really love to understand the specialty here. The fit and finish and interiors are great and so are they on the Creta and Jeep too. The touchscreen on the Creta seems a lot better than the one on the harrier from the reviews. No auto is a huge dent too.

I think the pricing will be very important for the success of harrier. At the current speculated price I don't see many takers. Hyundai will just launch an automatic SX(O) with 6 airbags at 19.5 lakhs and further take it away. The Jeep buyer will always buy a Jeep. Would really love to hear from members here on who is really going to buy the harrier.

BTW, I am super happy Tata Hexa owner. Just completed 15k without even a small hiccup. The vehicle and tata service have both been fantastic. So I have nothing against Tata here. Now I feel at 19.7 lakhs OTR, the price when I bought, what a VFM buy the hexa was!
1. Jeep's perceived brand value hasn't worked really. See how miserable the monthly sales numbers of Compass looks now, around 90% drop from it's first few months.
2. Jeep's A.S.S. is one of the worst ones in the country. Parent company Fiat has almost no future in India. Solely based on this itself I won't suggest the Compass to a prospective buyer.
3. Interiors of the Harrier are much much better than the Creta in terms of design and premiumness. Creta's interiors aren't too much apart from a Grand i10's IMHO. Compass' interiors are underwhelming compared to it's exteriors. The quality of plastics is not even in Creta's league, leave alone Harrier's.
4. Harrier gets a Visteon's touchscreen infotainment system. Leave Creta, even the Tucson's infotainment system can't match it.
5. Creta is based on a modified i20's platform. "Poor" is the word I would use for it's handling and dynamic capabilities. Ride is bumpy as well and of course it would be so, being based on a Hyundai hatchback that costs ~8L ₹. Harrier is based on a modified LR's D8 platform. Another car that is based on the D8 platform costs 50L ₹. Heck, the front suspension is the same as the LR Discovery.
6. The Harrier beats the Compass, the Tucson and the CRV in terms of dimensions and road presence.
7. Space inside: the Harrier beats everything under 30L ₹ in this parameter as well.
8. At 21L on road, whatever Harrier is offering is a lot TBH. People buying Creta top end (SX and SXO) manual will move to the Harrier top-end for just 2L more because it's a vehicle from at least 2 segments above, just at a much lower price point, prospective. Prospective XUV buyers who don't really need the 3rd row will find Harrier much better in every way possible.
Hexa is a wonderful vehicle and I would buy it in AT eyes closed if I need a big family car. But Harrier is going to be better than the Hexa is every possible way (barring absence of a 3rd row and an AT).
itsashishsharma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 21:24   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post

As Harrier doesn't have these suddenly XUV is better! I will believe XUV's credibility only after it gets crash tested. I have seen it getting into an accident and not even a single airbag being deployed. I know that Harrier hasn't been crash tested officially, but if Nexon scores a 5*, then there is no way Harrier going less than 4*.
Excellent point. Me too experienced loss of life of an acquaintance in such an XUV crash where airbags failed. Now they are better with Marazzo, but XUV is still suspect.

On a slightly off topic note, I always wondered what is the criteria for Global NCAP in picking models to test from India. They have tested some big sales duds like Mobilio and Lodgy whereas ignoring big number cars like Baleno and XUV 5OO. Mods, think this may need a separate thread by itself. Please consider.

Last edited by CoolFire : 8th December 2018 at 21:47.
CoolFire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 21:28   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Powerdrift review is out. Not the ‘tenhut’ kind, but more of a ‘kartikeya’ kind.
Harrier XZ+ on the horizon?
Kartikeya was pretty confident about the availability of 18" rims & a sunroof down the road!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks