Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2018, 07:58   #2101
BHPian

After watching multiple reviews telling the same timeline of the auto launch (1 year), makes me wonder, could Hyundai have included that clause while signing the deal for the gearbox, which restricted Tata to use it in Harrier until a year of the launch has been completed , to protect the Creta??
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 08:11   #2102
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Highlights the off road capability and terrain response, something OD and ACI haven't covered well.

Last edited by amartyasg : 7th December 2018 at 08:13. Reason: Grammar
amartyasg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 08:15   #2103
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

A small article today by Zigwheels saying not to wait for AWD in Harrier, as Tata has no immediate plans to bring it. This article says the percentage of AWD sales is too low to justify development costs, and that cost would have raised the prices across the range.

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...-for-it/32475/
drjkonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 08:17   #2104
Senior - BHPian

What price markup does the LR platform hold really ? They reduced their development expenses by adapting the platform. Tata press releases regularly mentioned its a highly modified /adapted platform. I hope it provides good quality and drivability. Hope they dont inherit the bad bits about their expensive brothers.

I will wait for the AT and moonroof and hope the car proves really good in the interim. AWD is not really needed for the intended use. Hope they sell well and give us better cars in future.

Last edited by srishiva : 7th December 2018 at 08:19.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 08:48   #2105
BHPian

Read most of the reviews. Most common agreed across reviews:

1. Design is striking in Flesh
2. Interior Quality is best from Tata yet
3. Feature filled vehicle
4. Noisy Fiat Engine, but NVH levels shall be controlled in final production variant
5. Minor Ergonomic Flaws and a few rough edges around fit n finish which could be corrected in final variant.
6. Massive Interior Space and well designed boot space.
7. Ride Quality is simply outstanding
8. Hydraulic Steering is really good
9. One of the best ride and handling set ups in the segment
10. Good Gear box and drives well with a torquey pull.
11. 17 inchers don't fill up the wheel arches.

Overall, everyone has mostly praise for the Tata Harrier as expected and final verdict is reserved for the pricing.

All in all, a superbly engineered product from Tata who have raised their game to a level where they can go toe to toe with refined products like Hyundai Creta and Jeep Compass.
Flash777 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:01   #2106
Senior - BHPian

2 litre engines make 180 horsepower these days as industry standard. Some Volvo 2 litre engines like that on V90 make 235 HP through a supercharger or twin turbocharger. So 140 BHP from an engine from a reputed European engine manufacturer whose own conservative tune in it's own vehicle deducts only 10 BHP from the industry average of 180 BHP for it's own in-house product viz Jeep Compass then can only mean one thing: Tata has sacrificed outright performance for reliability and longevity, it is taking the toyota route of sacrificing outright performance for hassle free ownership.

It also means that this 2 litre engine can also be ugraded to make a lot of insane power if the manufacturer so desires.

A vexing question for me is why Tata has chosen Hyundai instead of punch powerglide (Hexa AT) for it's AT supplier, maybe just to save a few cents. But if Hexa can be priced around 22 with Punch powerglide AT, how hard is it going to be to price Harrier similarly for it's AT variant.

Last edited by SDP : 7th December 2018 at 22:27. Reason: Please take the pain of capitalizing chracaters and words where necessary
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:16   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
A vexing question for me is why Tata has chosen hyundai instead of punch powerglide (hexa AT) for it's AT supplier, maybe just to save a few cents. But if hexa can be priced around 22 with Punch powerglide AT, how hard is it going to be to price harrier similarly for it's AT varient.
I think it's to do with how the engine is mounted and the Harrier being FWD. If I'm not mistaken the Hexa is RWD with a longitudinally mounted engine while the Harrier has a transversely mounted engine powering the front wheels.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:21   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Autoportal review

Car an bike

Overdrive

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th December 2018 at 09:25.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:43   #2109
BHPian

Watched the Autocar review today morning. Is it only me or Autocar reviews have generally been overly critical of Tata cars? Hormazd does not miss even a single opportunity to mention that engine is Fiat, gearbox is Fiat and then mentions that engine is noisy and unrefined, there is transmission noise and so on. Don't know if he wants to blame Tata or Fiat for this. Similarly, there is mention of ergonomic issues but no mention of exactly what it is that creates problem. The video looked more like fault-finding exercise.

Overall, Harrier looks to be a nice attempt by Tata to take on the SUV competitors however it definitely falls short due to lack of AT. I still can't stomach the fact that Tata hopes to price this close to 18 Lakh for top-end. A bit too much is what I think.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:47   #2110
Senior - BHPian

There’s mixed opinions on the overall product from the initial impressions. Mainly following are the ones that took a hit in overall product development;

1) NVH - engine noise is pretty much prominent inside the cabin. Tata should’ve focused a bit more on insulation. Like one of the bhpians mentioned in the post above, did tata make a mistake by reducing the power causing more strain on the engine by capping it to 140ps?

2) Fit & Finish has improved by a significant margin. However, there are a lot of ergonomic issues as per Autocar - Ex are USB ports.

3) I believe Harrier will have initial sales which will slowly settle down to a smaller number than Creta for sure. Miss of auto gearbox will still take a toll on the sales. Speaking of gearbox, it’s surprising to read the gearbox makes a weird noise. I mean what were Tata testers doing while testing the car for over 2L kms mark?

Overall hope Tata manages to sell Harrier like they’re doing with Nexon, Tiago & Tigor. All the best Tata and Harrier.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:51   #2111
Senior - BHPian

I read the Autocar review.

Few points.

1. They mention that it is to be seen as a XUV 500 or compass competetor. So perhaps that gives us an indication of what Tata is aiming with the car. It may be priced alongside XUV 500. Now, it does not matter to me per se if the feature sets match. This is how I see the 7 seater SUVs in India. The 2 seats are good only for short duration travel ie within the city. Anything more and if you need to carry luggage as well, they become 5 seaters. For my usage I rather have them as 5 seaters. So does not matter. But in a market, where size and people carrying capacity matters a lot, many will think that absence of two additional seats as a negative for Harrier. If priced alongside XUV 500 how does Tata expect to justify this crowd?

2. Most hotly debated aspect- lack of AT at launch. Autocar article mentions that 35% of the market in this segment leans towards an automatic. If this is true, then irrespective of what many of us feel about the sales of automatics, this is a serious number! One I am sure while hurt Tata a lot. I also feel, had the lower variants got an option of Auto, the 35% figure may actually go up. So I feel as and when they bring the Auto transmission, Tata should have a means of offering this as an option on all variants.

3. Cabin quality good but not in Compass league. Where does that put it vis a vis Creta which many of us here believe is the real competition?

4. NVH- I expected tata to have taken care of this. Surprisingly I don't remember anyone mentioning high NVH in Compass with which Harrier shares the engine.

Over all I get a positive feeling regarding the car. Now waiting for the real review by teambhp. At least a feeler to quench our thirst before we get the full blooded review?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:53   #2112
BHPian

Although, we almost knew what was coming, but after the initial reviews are out, things are more certain now.

Few people are going to be really disappointed, IMO. For instance, I want to upgrade from a Duster and only options I have are Compass and Tuscon, which for some or the other reasons were kept at bay.

I had high hopes from Harrier, in terms of :
1. AWD (absolutely must have)
2. Sunroof (should have)
3. AT (could have compromised on)

I guess that brings me back to the initial pool of Tuscon vs Compass. Kind of disappointing given that Harrier was born of pedigree and much hype was given to it for being derived from a brand which is quite established for its off-road credentials in a certain price range.

Come to think of it, for a lot of buyers, Creta and XUV500 seem more practical now. Tata only has price card left up their sleeve, it appears.
ralto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:59   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Edit: Its a CSV file. And I could even find my email ID in the list.
Even I received the csv file with 3711 mail ids. I guess these numbers are only for online bookings.

On another note, I have apprehensions about the placement of the headlamps in the front bumper as there is greater probability of it getting damaged in Indian traffic.
Old 7th December 2018, 10:13   #2114
BHPian

Quote:

A vexing question for me is why Tata has chosen hyundai instead of punch powerglide (hexa AT) for it's AT supplier, maybe just to save a few cents. But if hexa can be priced around 22 with Punch powerglide AT, how hard is it going to be to price harrier similarly for it's AT varient.
The powerglide transmission fits engines that are conventionally mounted, powering the rear wheels
The Harrier has a transverse mounted engine, powering the front wheels. The powerglide transmission won't fit.
To make a point, the powerglide transmission is what elevates the Hexa. The smooth responses, almost seamless shifts, the clever masking of turbo lag, makes the Hexa feel like a large American SUV.
AirbusCapt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:16   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A vexing question for me is why Tata has chosen hyundai instead of punch powerglide (hexa AT) for it's AT supplier, maybe just to save a few cents.
Punch Powerglide makes transmissions only for longitudinal mount engines, secondly Hexa has among the smallest engines that can be mated with their transmission. Lastly The 6L50 that Hexa uses and previously Captiva, and Trailblaizer used is the only transmission with a non Hybrid variant that they have. A Compact SUV like the Harrier could have used a Aisin which the XUV500 uses, or spent a lot for a 9 speed ZF that JLR uses.
Lastly Hyundai is going to be the first Auto transmission maker in India.

Rahul Rao
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks