Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 09:38   #2056
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
I own a Safari Storme and members here who own Hexa, Safari, Nexon can tell their experience regarding the clutch of todays TATA cars. The clutch is very light compared to any other brand in this segment.
Spot on. We have Zest petrol in family since 4 years, my in-laws have Tiago petrol which I have driven quite a bit and have also test-driven Nexon diesel couple of times. Tata cars have probably the lightest clutch. Ford, Volkswagen and even Honda cars have noticeably stiffer clutch. If Harrier carries forward the trend, it will surely have a pleasant clutch.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 10:17   #2057
BHPian

IMHO it's not the sensitivity of the clutch that is the problem for me. The clutch assembly itself was replaced 4 times in my Manza. As indicated before , it's partly my fault but 4 clutches within 48000 kms, TATA was to blame as well. This apprehension Coupled with Bangalore traffic is what makes me lean towards Auto. Let's see if we have any information flowing on the timelines of Auto version launch in the coming days.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:50   #2058
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
IMHO it's not the sensitivity of the clutch that is the problem for me. The clutch assembly itself was replaced 4 times in my Manza.
That was Manza. Yes, I have had a replacement in my Storme at about 25k. But going good since then.

Yes, Sumo Gold with the Dicor engine had clutch problems

But - the Indica / Marina - we have never had problems ( 2000 - 2008)

My Sumo Victa TCIC ran on it's original clutch well past 1L km

I have seen another Sumo Victa on original clutch at 2L + km.

Suffice to say, your experience is not the norm. Manza was comfortable, but there were some issues in it. The same issues were not seen on later cars, even on Zest / Bolt.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 11:11   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That was Manza. Yes, I have had a replacement in my Storme at about 25k. But going good since then.
Suffice to say, your experience is not the norm. Manza was comfortable, but there were some issues in it. The same issues were not seen on later cars, even on Zest / Bolt.
I agree to your points, and as i said i don't entirely blame on TATA for my bad clutches. Personally, it took 16 Lakhs INR to learn the lesson, that clutch riding might be my fault (bought a duster post manza and fried the clutch in 23K kms, paid 80K out of my pocket, since then i have relearned driving and the current clutch is going good for the past 50000 kms), That only adds to my point of buying only Auto, Not even AMT. I love the car, it's much more upmarket and believe me, i am thinking of going through with manual eventhough i fully know i will regret when they launch an auto box.
Old 6th December 2018, 11:17   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

My experience was totally different in terms of clutch for my Manza. I drove Manza Diesel for 1.5L km or so and the clutch was as good as new before i sold it off. On the other hand my Indica Vista had a hard clutch but was never replaced in the 80,000 km of ownership. So might have been a faulty product for you.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:19   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It’s probably to avoid sticker shock - they must still be having nightmares about the pricing of the Aria with AWD and all bells and whistles - it created the impression of an overpriced product.
Yes it was a mistake but for the reason that the features provided were inconsistent with the target market. Aria was a Innova competition and squarely aimed at the taxi space where AWD and Auto box are not priorities.

Hexa too was designed for the taxi market and the auto sales figures would not be representative of a product (Harrier) designed for the self driving customer.

The Harrier will probably appeal to the successful mid level executives who love to drive and wish to be a little adventurous during outings with the family. The rest of the year will have to be in a Metro City where an auto will be a God send. These are not outliers but the target population Harrier is aiming for. I think the delay is purely due technical and logistical reasons and not due to any fancy strategy. I expect auto figures to outnumber manuals in the plus 15 Lakh market in a couple of years.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th December 2018 at 12:27. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Inder7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:25   #2062
BHPian

When does the embargo lift today?
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:40   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
The embargo is till tomorrow morning i.e. 7th December 6 a.m. I'm eagerly waiting to get the reviews on performance and ride too. I'm sure Harrier will surprise all of us.
Pranava VS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:49   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Many manufacturers have problems with automatic transmissions. Famous examples of dodgy auto trannies include honda cvt's, nissan, chrysler fiat, vw dsg, ford dct. Toyota's aisin auto's have highest reliability in market. Maybe Tata has found some gremlins in the hyundai AT Fiat multijet combo that needs some working upon. It would be wise then, not to hurry them through the process by building pressure to deliver.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:56   #2065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Isnt it 6:00 AM on 7-Dec ? Tomorow ?
Old 6th December 2018, 13:44   #2066
BHPian

1. A Simple MOD of Car-Warping its Bumper, adding lots of Front-Bias Focus + Breaks-away its Curvy Look at its Front + Looks Clean.

At-least for Me!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20181204wa0031a.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20181204wa0040a.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 14:05   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
1. A Simple MOD of Car-Warping its Bumper, adding lots of Front-Bias Focus + Breaks-away its Curvy Look at its Front + Looks Clean.

At-least for Me!
Agree with the philosophy. Bet there would be huge potential in aftermarket lighting kits for the Harrier...

Wish SRK would come up with a better frontend design for the Harrier and pass it on to Tata.
sprocket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 14:23   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inder7 View Post
Yes it was a mistake but for the reason that the features provided were inconsistent with the target market. Aria was a Innova competition and squarely aimed at the taxi space where AWD and Auto box are not priorities.
The Aria was not aimed at the Taxi market but rather was positioned as a flagship crossover however they got the mentality of the market wrong and the pricing very wrong. The XUV too was a crossover but since the Aria launched and bombed almost a year before Mahindra got enough time to learn and incorporate the lessons. The resulting XUV launched at about 3 lakhs cheaper and was positioned as an SUV.The Innova of those days was an MUV and I do not recall it being compared to the Aria.

By the time the Hexa which was launched Toyota had launched the Crysta as a premium MUV and since a large 7 seater crossover was something nobody wanted both the Aria and the Hexa became MUV competitors to the premium Crysta.

Coming back to the Harrier I am seeing the same confusion in positioning. The market it wants is commanded by the Creta which is a well established player. OTOH there are attempts to position it as a premium 5 seater a market where Hyundai royally failed with the Tucson and FCA with the Compass.

As for AT my personal opinion is that to capture either market which is showing a significant number of people opting for Auto(30%) on the Creta if you were following the variant wise team bhp thread an Auto would have helped. I think Tata knows this and IIRC the news for the Hyundai auto came later so did the mules, so looks like they are still integrating it.

On AWD I dont think its a feature that draws many customers for this market which is why the Creta AWD has not been launched in India.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 15:01   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojeslyn View Post
Any idea what would be the on road price?
Hello Jeslyn,

The word from Tata official twitter handle is that the on road px will be b/w 16-21 Lakh for the different variants.

A large part of the T Bhp community feels it will (should?) be b/w 13-18 Lakh OTR, to have sufficient appeal to potential customers, who might otherwise shy away.

We will not know exact pricing for sure till Tata announces it formally sometime later in Dec 2018 or Jan 2019.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 15:39   #2070
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that the Concorde TATA dealership in front of my office gate (ORR Bangalore) is closed for Renovations. Is this going to be similar to how Maruti created NEXA and ARENA ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks