Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 10:07   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Lack of Sunroof, AT and 4x4 in the Harrier hints one thing.. the PRICE is going to be very aggressive..!!

What percentage of actual customers go for the top specs like AT, Sunroof or 4x4..? Tata is bang on focussing where the real action is going to be
payeng is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:31   #1997
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Wow, suddenly from a country that predominantly runs on the VXi/VDIs and XM/XE, we have become a country that drives only top of the line automatic cars. Come on guys, the folks who go for the top variant of a smaller car is minuscule in comparison to the number of people who buy the basic/mid variant from the next segment. If you are in the former group, well and good; you made the right choice.

Just today, I ran into six different Nexons and barring one (which was an XZA+), all were XT/XM. In a similar context/discussion, somebody mentioned that they see lot of automatic Hexas but till today, I have seen just one or two XTAs. So, with this ground reality, I don't think Tata is losing much. Yes, there will be potential customers who would have only wanted AT, but I suspect the ratio will be too small. But it would have been still nice if they tell us what their plans for the AT are.
I don't know what is the problem here, like someone mentioned we are talking about our bookings and whether we will go through with it or not. Personally i am driving a top end Duster RXZ AWD and will only go for top end Automatic in any car. On the drive from home to office today i saw 7 Hexas and 6 were XTAs and only 1 was XM, and this is in bangalore. So clearly Ground is not as real as you claim, so it can't be termed as ground reality.
I am increasingly seeing people being aggressive and looking down on other people's choices and this needs to be stopped, to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Lack of Sunroof, AT and 4x4 in the Harrier hints one thing.. the PRICE is going to be very aggressive..!!What percentage of actual customers go for the top specs like AT, Sunroof or 4x4..? Tata is bang on focussing where the real action is going to be
Now this is a point i can agree on, it's all comes down to volumes and TATA knows once the customer is smitten with the product he will wait for an AT to launch and no need to sweat on the fence sitters for AT. I am a fence sitter and thinking about cancelling/withholding my booking until i hear about AT.
v6kgang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:35   #1998
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

I like the fact that there is no thick chrome garnish between the tail lamps on the hatch. I love that fact that it is black plastic.

I somehow don't like the split headlamps, I'd blacken the region between and around the headlamps.

That being said, the car looks like another winner from Tata, except that we should have had an automatic at launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Will push the consideration of buying this until the auto version....
On a lighter note: You'll find some features missing.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-new-cars.html (Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th December 2018 at 10:40.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:58   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
I don't know what is the problem here, like someone mentioned we are talking about our bookings and whether we will go through with it or not. Personally i am driving a top end Duster RXZ AWD and will only go for top end Automatic in any car. On the drive from home to office today i saw 7 Hexas and 6 were XTAs and only 1 was XM, and this is in bangalore. So clearly Ground is not as real as you claim, so it can't be termed as ground reality.
I am increasingly seeing people being aggressive and looking down on other people's choices and this needs to be stopped, to each his own.
Well, if you have a problem, you can very well ignore my comment and move on. No need to dwell or pick on it. In my defense, I clearly stated there could/would be exceptions and you might very well be that exception. Please take a moment to go through the "I booked my car" thread and tell me if you see half or more of the announcements are for AT, then we can talk about what the ground reality is. Until then, as far as I am concerned, the ground reality is that most cars booked today are manual even in team-bhp. Even the most of the new cars I see on road are manual, in the very Bangalore city you are talking about.
prakash_ajp is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:04   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Raking up the yet unknown and much discussed price discussion again.
Below are the ON-ROAD prices for Creta in Bangalore as per carwale.
  • So TATA will either start the Harrier pricing with the Creta 1.6D and go all the way above it.
Attachment 1824987

Below are the ON-ROAD prices for Compass
  • Tata might be looking to undercut the Compass.
Attachment 1824988
Disclaimer : Strictly comparing popular 5 seat SUVs around the declared price range of Harrier.

I guess most likely they would start at 12.99L ex-showroom(the usual xx.99 trend these days) marginally undercutting CRETA SX Diesel manual and S diesel 1.6 AT both priced at around 13.3 odd ex-showroom. That brings the OTR close to what they have been unofficially stating around 16L starting going all the way to 16/16.5L for XZ(translates to OTR 21L). The higher variants especially XT and XZ I believe would fetch the highest amount of sales considering most of the features available in these two variants.

Moreover by not launching the AT for now I guess they basically are trying to prevent a sticker shock. Just like Nexon, am sure the AT would follow by festive season next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
The XE trim on the Harrier has no infotainment and no park assist. The Creta has both on the SX Diesel manual. This is one major difference. The Creta also has a similarly price S AT option. Its also a well established SUV. On the Compass there are too little sales to bother
Agreed. But you can't discount the fact that the Harrier is a bigger vehicle. Has a bigger heart(and no in-house unproven engine as such) and is more spacious. Perception about TATA brand though is a total different point altogether which might deter quite a few people from going for it, but that would be the same for them at any price north of 14-15L OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
I have a question Tata Harrier H5x does not have 4x4 and also would not have 7 seats. Does it really qualify to be called SUV I thought either of these should be there in an SUV or I am wrong ?
Text-book definition ofcourse would make most of the so-called SUVs in India, raised hatches or crossovers. Not for the lack of 7 seats, but definitely for the lack of 4X4. But in India anything with a high GC is SUV. Period!!! Else you won't find Maruti boldly marketing Brezza as the highest selling SUV of India.

Last edited by SDP : 5th December 2018 at 17:44. Reason: Typo
Old 5th December 2018, 11:05   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
The Harrier is also distinctly a class above in terms of size, displacement and POSSIBLY dynamics. The very fact that we are talking about Harrier, from a higher segment with Creta, a sub segment below, only cause of the pricing speaks volumes to the VFM equation provided by TATA.
Valid point. I too feel Creta will be forced to review pricing soon - at least for the top variants. Current Creta pricing reflects monopolistic situation which TATA is aiming to address.

No AT, panaromic sunroof are serious misses. Personally, even the absence of an AWD is a deal breaker. These options, though not volume spinners, would have added to the "Harrier brand value". Also attracted customers from more premium categories.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th December 2018 at 11:08. Reason: Fixing Quotes. Please do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Inder7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:11   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I guess most likely they would start at 12.99L ex-showroom(the usual xx.99 trend these days)
Let me also participate by pitching in with my expected starting price of 11.99 ex-showroom! With the kind of features that XE offers, I have a feeling Harrier will undercut Creta and XUV both for the starting price. Harrier doesn't look anything like flagship, except for the design. Hexa looks more feature packed in comparison.

If Tata stays reasonable in their positioning of Harrier, it can be quite a success. XUV is old now (though that is no measure of its competence) and Tata has good presence and goodwill in Tier 2, 3 cities. Yes, Harrier is bigger than Creta but then people in small cities want maximum bang for buck and that is where Harrier should be able to drive in the More Car per Car statement. Now over to Tata for not becoming over-ambitious.
ksameer1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:18   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inder7 View Post
Valid point. I too feel Creta will be forced to review pricing soon - at least for the top variants. Current Creta pricing reflects monopolistic situation which TATA is aiming to address.

No AT, panaromic sunroof are serious misses. Personally, even the absence of an AWD is a deal breaker. These options, though not volume spinners, would have added to the "Harrier brand value". Also attracted customers from more premium categories.

Correct about Creta prices. I expect the following to happen
  • Offers and discounts on Creta.
  • Compass will have a very tough time.
  • SUVs like Captur, Terrano, Duster will face further dwindling sales.
  • Cross shopping between XUV, Tucson for the top end variants
  • Tata to decrease features atleast on the lower variants
Old 5th December 2018, 11:23   #2004
Senior - BHPian

I feel the current top end variant of the Harrier could get a shocker price tag.

The more expensive AT, 4x4 variants can come in later once the Harrier makes its mark in terms of volumes
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:35   #2005
Distinguished - BHPian

There has been a lot of talks about the pricing.

I personally feel what M&M did with the Marazzo's pricing i.e. launching it between the Ertiga & Innova, similarly Tata wants to price the Harrier in between Creta & Compass.

Harrier fits well in that price category IMO, but the real issue is lack of an A/T which both the Compass & Creta have.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:35   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inder7 View Post
Bang on! Most of people I personally know who has recently bought a Creta (5 of them all AT in my apartment Complex) or an Innova or waiting on the fence to plonk that money on a Compass, would without a blink of an eye, buy a Harrier with AT and save few lakhs. Creta and Innova are overpriced vehicles because there are no choices in that category. I too wouldn't be surprised if people considering Endeavour/Fortuner/CRV/ SantaFe/Tucson would also consider Harrier if the option of AT, AWD and Sunroof are made available with an additional 2 lakh rupees to the whatever price TATA comeup with the current offering.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:37   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
I have a question Tata Harrier H5x does not have 4x4 and also would not have 7 seats. Does it really qualify to be called SUV I thought either of these should be there in an SUV or I am wrong ?
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Generally SUVs differ from other cars due to their ability to go off-road. This is enabled by higher ground clearance, 4wd and built to withstand abuse capability. Number of seats do not matter. But in popular use SUV has come to mean big, tall, muscular cars with ability to seat more people. Appearance and size is prized by general public ignoring true capability to go off road.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:41   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
The XE trim on the Harrier has no infotainment and no park assist. The Creta has both on the SX Diesel manual. This is one major difference. The Creta also has a similarly price S AT option. Its also a well established SUV. On the Compass there are too little sales to bother
I kind of agree with above. I am one of those who believe that Harrier can be priced above Creta. But that should be backed up with good feature list as well.
It is quite initial stages now and not all information is available, but from what we know we can summarize the comparison as below.

Power: Harrier has more power, but Creta has better power/weight ratio. Harrier Trumps in torque /weight ratio.
Driveability: Unknown for Harrier. Expected to be as good as or better than Creta.
Ride and handling: unknown for harrier. Expected to be as good as or better than Creta.
Space: Higher for Harrier
Quality of interiors: Expected to be quite good in Harrier. But Creta is good as well.
Features: Creta has more features on base variant comparison.
Looks: subjective
After sales:No comments

Based on the above what premium does one feel fine with for Harrier over Creta if any at all. I could have had an opinion if the feature list was as expansive in Harrier as it is in Creta. But not so sure now.

Harrier however should do good even at rumored prices is what I feel.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:49   #2009
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 cents on the lack of AT at launch and the effect it has on a buyer ( myself in this case). When we booked the Harrier in October, there was no real need of a new car. But we saw the teasers and based on the recent launches from Tata - Nexon, Tiago, Tigor, Hexa, combined with the lure of a great launch price, we decided to book the car and would change it with one of our existing cars.
Having booked the car, its natural that I started following every small detail available online, whether it was the price leak or some new spy shot etc. The news of AT being available was also doing the rounds right from the start. Some say you were a fool to believe the rumors, but then in this case the whole car is based only on rumors, until now. And now when the itch to buy a new car grew over the last few months, the disappointing news of no AT transmission has left that itch unscratched. The result? I can wait for 6 more months which is also however only based on rumors since at best they will announce a general statement that AT will follow soon later in 2019 and nothing more concrete. Or, I start to look at the competition, most of which offers an AT box and similar features if not more. And this is where Tata loses me as a customer. Would it matter in the long run to them? Who knows.
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:49   #2010
BHPian

You beat to it. Read this today morning and had decided to post it in this forum . Whoever wrote this article should have clearly mentioned that it's for the 7-seater version of Harrier. The Hindu is supposed to set higher standards of journalism...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Was like when I first read the article, later made out they would be mentioning about 7 seater version.

Though the article erroneously mentions that both 5&7 seater launch is in 2020.

Source : Hindu metro plus - Wheels . Bangalore edition.

Attachment 1824986

Last edited by SDP : 5th December 2018 at 19:25. Reason: Typo
amit1agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks