Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 18:33   #1951
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

So rushlane has an article that links to a tweet from Tata Motors regarding the price indication - 16lacs to 21lacs OTR.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierlaunchpricereveal.jpg  

Old 4th December 2018, 18:35   #1952
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Is Tata looking to introduce Harrier for the Taxi segment? I really cant understand the colour availability for the base XE variant as it is available only in White?

Look at the screen shot from official website
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tata-harrier.png  

Old 4th December 2018, 18:36   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutlander View Post
Load up the base variant to a reasonable level. The XE trim doesn't sound that exciting in terms of features. If you want to attract fence sitters, you've got to make the entry variant a VFM package.
The base version XE is available only in the White shade, clearly TML is not looking to sell a lot of the base model cars.

PS: XE - white only, XM - all shades except the copper, XT/XZ - all shades.
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 18:41   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
So rushlane has an article that links to a tweet from Tata Motors regarding the price indication - 16lacs to 21lacs OTR.
16L OTR is bang on the XUV territory and a very good pricing. They should hurry up on the third row, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Is Tata looking to introduce Harrier for the Taxi segment? I really cant understand the colour availability for the base XE variant as it is available only in White?

That means the XE is only intended to be a paper-only variant, like the Sport Petrol on the Jeep Compass. Well, almost. I hate it when manufacturers play such silly games, but then its their liberty.

Last edited by civic-sense : 4th December 2018 at 18:43.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 18:43   #1955
BHPian

Quote:

Good catch! Could it be another goof-up from Tata?

Regarding the taxi segment, I guess Hexa has more chances of going that way (given that Tata has been plucking features off it anyway and in some time it could become bland enough on the inside to be fit as a taxi)

This could, of course, be a hyperbole, but can one deny it outright?

Last edited by mroutlander : 4th December 2018 at 18:56. Reason: Two posts in quick succession; would like to delete one and merge the contents with the other, please assist
Old 4th December 2018, 18:44   #1956
Distinguished - BHPian

Had seen a test mule on 25th Nov on Hosur road, Bangalore. From the registration number and earlier pics I am guessing it is Harrier itself. The car looked wide and was squat.
Almost, like how I felt on seeing Duster for the very first time.
Old 4th December 2018, 19:26   #1957
Distinguished - BHPian

The Harrier looks great. I'm still skeptical regarding the price. I feel that they're going to shock the market with their price. Although the bare bones base variant might be there only for the shock sticker price but I feel even the top-end would be below 20L, maybe around 19L. My take is 13L to 17L ex-showroom.

My cousin has booked a top-end variant but he raised a genuine question, since BS6 norms come into effect in 2020, why is Tata launching this with a BS6 ready engine with BS4 emission norm? What if the Supreme Court comes with some order that BS4 vehicles will not be allowed in Delhi-NCR from 2025? So why should anyone plonk his 20L in a car with an engine that's going to be obsolete in a year's time?

Last edited by BoneCollector : 4th December 2018 at 19:27.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 19:26   #1958
BHPian

On the Harrier pricing, Tata has officially said that the ON-ROAD base version price would be around Rs. 16 lakh and top-end would be Rs 21 lakh. As a lot of people have said, Tata has intentionally amped the expected prices to pleasantly surprise the prospective buyers at the time of launch and more importantly, I think a top end Hexa would definitely eat into the Harrier's sales if priced on par.

My prediction-- Harrier (Base) 13 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi) and Top End 18 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)

Mods please don't revoke my membership if I am wrong

Last edited by captain.torque : 4th December 2018 at 19:28.
Old 4th December 2018, 19:31   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If ACI can break the embargo, so can Overdrive,
Some critics seem to be jumping to conclusions in a hurry to post their dislike of the Harrier. No due diligence though - as in this video OD clearly states that there are discs on all four wheels.

Those who want AT and AWD have valid complaints, it has to be said. Hopefully Tata is able to launch the AT soon.

Anyway, the video also says that the launch is in Jan 2019 which gives Tata time to prepare the AT for launch shortly thereafter. Presumably - or hopefully - the reason for continued sightings of test mules.

Also mentioned in the video - tyres by Goodyear, amongst other OE options.

As an aside, FWD and manual will do just fine for my usage requirements - in 2020 and contingent on a favourable T-BHP review.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2018 at 19:40. Reason: removed video link from quoted post
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 19:55   #1960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My take is 13L to 17L ex-showroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
On the Harrier pricing, Tata has officially said that the ON-ROAD base version price would be around Rs. 16 lakh and top-end would be Rs 21 lakh....My prediction-- Harrier (Base) 13 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi) and Top End 18 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
Considering at the speculated price range, Road Tax + Insurance would cost around 3 Lakhs (at least in Bangalore), the quoted price 16L on-road and 13L ex-showroom may actually be the same.

Tata Motors may have just put the numbers such to create an impact on launch. How to make a line shorter, by drawing a longer line. Remember?
sachinayak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:14   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My cousin has booked a top-end variant but he raised a genuine question, since BS6 norms come into effect in 2020, why is Tata launching this with a BS6 ready engine with BS4 emission norm? What if the Supreme Court comes with some order that BS4 vehicles will not be allowed in Delhi-NCR from 2025? So why should anyone plonk his 20L in a car with an engine that's going to be obsolete in a year's time?
I read that BS-6 engines can't run on BS-4 fuel. The engine is BS6-ready. So I guess, when the norm kicks in with regards to the fuel, the vehicle might need a catalytic converter change to accept the less polluting fuel.

Given the way our Government dilly-dallies over everything, there's no guarantee yet that the norms would kick in at the expected time.

The BS-6 engine by itself is supposedly an expensive change compared to the BS-4. So, Tata seems to be on the right track.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:19   #1962
BHPian

Quote:

They did this color thing on the Hexa too. Too late after the launch the Arizona blue was introduced. IMHO, it's not a bad thing. Maintaining costs to some extent and not skimping on features. I expected base variants to not have DRLs and projector headlamps and other LED treatment.

Maybe soon we'll still see no DRLs and halogens on base models, or maybe no infotainment (even D segment Corolla does it)

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 4th December 2018 at 20:20.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:28   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Tata Motors may have just put the numbers such to create an impact on launch. How to make a line shorter, by drawing a longer line. Remember?
I have a different take on this. A lot of fellow bhpans are speculating (and hoping) that the price on launch day will be lower than the range officially announced by TATA through various channels.

I doubt this. If the actual price is too far away from the range they have indicated, it would signal a lack of decisiveness and can be perceived as weakness by the general population. Sort of like - TATA wanted to price it high, but backed off because of a lack of confidence in its own product. Product price announcement is serious business, especially for a conglomerate like TATA. They will not want to be seen as indecisive and amateurish. In my opinion prices for the variants will fall within the announced range - 16 to 21 lakhs.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

Last edited by rovingeye : 4th December 2018 at 20:40.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:43   #1964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My cousin has booked a top-end variant but he raised a genuine question, since BS6 norms come into effect in 2020, why is Tata launching this with a BS6 ready engine with BS4 emission norm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I read that BS-6 engines can't run on BS-4 fuel. The engine is BS6-ready. So I guess, when the norm kicks in with regards to the fuel, the vehicle might need a catalytic converter change to accept the less polluting fuel.
All these BS standards apply twofold - one to auto manufacturers and the other to the Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs). There are and will be BS 6 engines and there's BS 6 fuel already being sold in New Delhi since recently, as per a SC order.

When a BS 6 engine runs on BS 6 fuel, baby seals won't die (as Jeremy Clarkson might put it). As per the same SC order, OMCs will need to sell only BS 6 fuel by mid 2020 across India (minus New Delhi of course, where it is already being sold) and no BS 4 vehicle can be registered after June 2020.

BS 6 engines can run well on BS 4 fuel. There's just no benefit to the environment to be had by doing so. Baby seals will die.

BS 4 diesel engines can run well on BS 6 diesel (despite a view to the contrary spread even by the likes of Hormazd Sorabjee). Here's our very own member Pious_devil's take on why BS 4 engines can run well on BS 6 fuel - https://www.team-bhp.com/news/bs-vi-...-bs-iv-engines. I find pious_devil's argument very compelling and I side with him completely. But, mind you - baby seals will die on account of BS 4 engines running on BS 6 fuel.

* The author's views are a product of extensive research performed on Team-BHP and are amenable to change, if new information should be presented. The author likes staying on top of this topic. PoVs are welcome.

Last edited by locusjag : 4th December 2018 at 20:45.
locusjag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:53   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
They will not want to be seen as indecisive and amateurish. In my opinion prices for the variants will fall within the announced range - 16 to 21 lakhs.
13-18L Ex Showroom = 16-21L On-Road.

People would be happy to see the ex-showroom price.
Tata would say, we got the price-leak spot on.

Win-Win.

sachinayak is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks