Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:15   #1861
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Love the Thermisto Gold option, that would be my pick for Harrier. Mods who attended the Media Drive, please update us on the official stand of TATA on AT. Based on your inputs, TATA may or maynot lose 1 pre-booked customer.
At 4315x1822x1695 MM dimensions duster (my current car is duster, hence the comparison) has 465 Lts of Boot space, at 4598 x 1894 x 1706 MM dimensions Harrier has 425 Lts of boot space? I hope it all translates into a roomier back seat with generous leg room ala indigo ecs.

Last edited by manson : 4th December 2018 at 00:49. Reason: Typo.
v6kgang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:17   #1862
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy View Post
Here it is. First interior pics by ACI.
All these features and they missed out on the auto dimming IRVM. Sad.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd December 2018 at 23:18.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:22   #1863
Senior - BHPian

No all round disc brakes is a very poor decision by Tata. Hopefully AT variant will be announced later.
F150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:01   #1864
BHPian

This thread is lit and how! 'Fabulous' is the word for this car - because it is exactly that - inside-out. Some more influx of Vitamin M and it could be mine.

However, Tata could have scored a 10/10 or an impressive 9/10 had they:

1. Offered AT and AWD to start with. I am perfectly okay with the manual but a sizeable number of enthusiasts/prospective customers aren't - and that's as evident as daylight Similarly, I won't fret about absence of AWD but yes, for a substantial chunk of enthusiasts, it is a 'sacrilege' of sorts and understandably so.

2. Thrown in a cooler and somewhat expansive color palette. Not that the colors on offer are bad but there could have been more vibrant options in there.

3. Loaded up the base variant to a reasonable level. The XE trim doesn't sound that exciting in terms of features. If you want to attract fence sitters, you've got to make the entry variant a VFM package.

That said, my money would still be on Tata lest they "get themselves attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis" by some stupid decisions.
mroutlander is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:06   #1865
BHPian

Harrier looks awesome both on the inside and outside.
No AT at launch would certainly impact it's sale & I hope Tata launches the AT version by Q2/Q3 2019 and price it sensibly.
SubhoMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:27   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
No all round disc brakes is a very poor decision by Tata. Hopefully AT variant will be announced later.
Wait until the braking distance figures come out. They have the same on JTP and those cars brake better than the competition.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:53   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Nice interiors. Variant distribution is the key factor to ensure it appeals to a larger pool of prospective customers.

Expert opinions on functionality & ergonomics much awaited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
And why is everyone taking apart Tata for lack of AT at launch?
Before it was because of convenience. Now its because, providing such interiors without AT option is sacrilege when you're looking for numbers - they could've atleast offered it on the top variant.

Quote:
I remember even the Compass not having the option at launch.
Compass is not selling because it is extremely overpriced (IMO) and doesn't have diesel AT. The real competition is a market-creator-cum-leader : Creta (facelift).

Quote:
While it wud have been great to have an AT right away, it's not that one has to wait a long time for the same.
Frankly it's been a long time already and TATA is already very very late to this segment.

Quote:
Let's atleast wait for Tata to comment on AT officially before the hate is rained down...
Update on automatic, & also hope it is BS6 "ready".

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th December 2018 at 00:54.
GrammarNazi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 01:06   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Frankly it's been a long time already and TATA is already very very late to this segment.

Update on automatic, & also hope it is BS6 "ready".
Yes - it was a LONG time. Tata should have been ready with AT at launch. Luckily, the engine IS BSVI ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post

Points to be noted
  • Cruise Control
  • No Aircon airflow volume controls
  • No centre speaker like the Hexa
  • Steering Horn pad, instrument cluster plastics appear low rent
  • Hybrid cupholder for 1 large or 1 small tumbler
  • No sliding tambour centre pocket like the nexon
  • No Auto Headlamps or Wipers
  • Door storages are slim
  • Grip surfaces like the steering wheel, door close handle and middle grab rails are a notch thicker ( may not gel well with the the ladies and those with less than Goliath hands
  • No central lock/unlock button
  • Weird ergonomics of the door handle which can catch your finger tips if not careful

No rumoured BS6 engine, And the Variant Line-up is quite detailed, XE at 13.99 is acceptable

Source
XT onwards - Auto Headlamp and Wiper is present.
Tambour door omitted because that under armrest storage box is the 'cooled' glove box. So that's the reason you see only 2 cup holders. The rest are in there. Engine is BSVI ready.
There has to be some centre speaker somewhere - it's got '9' speakers including sub-woofer...

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 4th December 2018 at 01:10.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 03:41   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Excellent. I am pretty sure that the interiors would look better in person than in pictures, with that expansive wood and soft touch dashboard. Looks fabulous inside out and to think this has come out from Tata Motors which were almost irrelevant not too long ago is quite an achievement indeed. What a turnaround and what a car! A genuinely desirable (including competition from major world brands not just cars sold in India) Tata! Well done!
extreme_torque is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 04:19   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Saw quite a few cars (7-8) today on my way back from osian to Jodhpur.

All of them were in the same orange color. They looked quiet impressive and had a great road presence. If priced right , they sure would end up selling in huge numbers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2018 at 06:45. Reason: Quiet > quite.
samyakmodi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 04:49   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Excellent. I am pretty sure that the interiors would look better in person than in pictures, with that expansive wood and soft touch dashboard. Looks fabulous inside out and to think this has come out from Tata Motors which were almost irrelevant not too long ago is quite an achievement indeed. What a turnaround and what a car! A genuinely desirable (including competition from major world brands not just cars sold in India) Tata! Well done!
I am sure they are of extremely high quality. They are manufactured by benecke-kaliko which are the suppliers to BMW, Merc and Audi too.

Tata motors is leaving no stones unturned, i hope they educate the " Janata" that they are procuring very high quality components from global manufacturers. The best compliant engines from Fiat, using Land Rover platform, using the latest generations bosch ABS systems with prefill and CSC systems, best quality JBL tuned systems etc.

This will enable customers to do peer to peer comparison while purchasing the cars. Sometimes we skip this important aspect while buying same price range cars. Example : A 17 lacs car fitted with Nippon system manufactured in Delhi/Noida vs Harman-JBL systems which cost atleast 5/6 times more. A TEL turbo vs Garrett Turbo. A Rane brake system vs Bosch. This all contributes to bill of material cost and is directly proportional to "Value for Money" or " More car, per car" proposition.
amit_mechengg is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 06:30   #1872
BHPian

• The complete set of safety features are available in the XZ version only.
  • The XT version is loaded with all the features for the feature craving crowd, minus the safety suite. Android Auto, Car Play, Auto headlamps & wipers, Pushbutton start, Automatic Climate control, Cruise Control.
  • XZ has the JBL system, seems the lower variants do not have a branded setup.
  • ISOFIX should have been made standard across variants.
  • As mentioned earlier, a very underwhelming set of colours.
  • Engine is BS IV, not BS VI
  • Weight is not mentioned
  • Disc - Drum setup
  • No mention of rear foglamps anywhere
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1.png

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-2.png

Tata_Harrier_Brochure.pdf

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2018 at 20:13. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
coldice4u is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:01   #1873
BHPian

Day 2 of the Media Drives.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181204_070022.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181204_073014.jpg

Snippets from Day 1 and Day 2 flagging off.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20181204_073604.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierofficiallyrevealed9.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierofficiallyrevealed10.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2018 at 20:12. Reason: Posts merged on request.
uday.ere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:27   #1874
Distinguished - BHPian

Media having the first drive,

Tata Harrier Mileage –Diesel 4X2 Manual 15 km/l ( Avg.)

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-0.jpg

- Safety kit includes ABS with EBD and hydraulic brake assist, six airbags, corner stability program, hill-hold and hill-descent assist, roll-over mitigation and ISOFIX child seat mounts.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-4.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-3.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-6.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th December 2018 at 07:56.
volkman10 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:34   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
  • The complete set of safety features are available in the XZ version only.
  • The XT version is loaded with all the features for the feature craving crowd, minus the safety suite. Android Auto, Car Play, Auto headlamps & wipers, Pushbutton start, Automatic Climate control, Cruise Control.
  • XZ has the JBL system, seems the lower variants do not have a branded setup.
  • ISOFIX should have been made standard across variants.
  • As mentioned earlier, a very underwhelming set of colours.
  • Engine is BS IV, not BS VI
  • Weight is not mentioned
  • Disc - Drum setup
  • No mention of rear foglamps anywhere
The Tata Harrier is a lovely Premium vehicle in all respects, no doubt about it. And the name is suitably elegant and aggressive too. Just like the bird it is named for.
It is though, a bit big for my own specific needs but it will undoubtedly do well because it offers fabulous features and capabilities and I am sure TATA will price it really well. Sorry, they appear to have already priced it really well, ranging from 16-21 lacs ON ROAD as per Rushlane! Wow!

The only few nit picking comments I shall put forward are;
1. Front discs and rear drum brakes. Would have been good to have rear discs.
2. Optional AWD with Terrain Response would have been a ‘nice to have’ especially considering the Land Rover DNA.
3. Rear seats could have been designed in a three way split with the option to remove them completely so as to make the vehicle more versatile for a two person family or two person adventure trip, in terms of carrying stuff.
4. A split rear tail gate with the option to sit on the lower half would also have been fantastic - just like a Range Rover.
5. An in built GPS satellite vehicle tracker system would have been nice (if there is one already I didn’t notice it).
6. Would have been nice to know the kerb weight. (Rushlane says 1675 kgs, but it ought to have been mentioned in the brochure)
7. Would have been good if they had a 60 litre tank capacity instead of 50.

But overall, I think this vehicle will give the Compass a solid run for its money. Also the Creta and Tucson, SantaFe, Ford Endeavour/ Ranger and other similar vehicles. I also do honestly hope this helps in some sense to de-throne that stupid overpriced Fortuner and that Innova. Toyota in particular has been guilty of taking undue exploitative profiteering advantage of the INDIAN market and it is about time they were taken down a few pegs - they need to learn a lesson I Real VFM.

I sincerely wish TATA 100% success with this vehicle because it truly ups the game in the segment with all that is on offer. Now, I do hope that the sensible INDIAN votes positively with his wallet. The Tata team deserve our support for this effort of theirs for sure!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th December 2018 at 07:47.
shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks