Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:35   #1771
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Does anyone know what's the process to cancel the online booking made earlier? Their email doesn't have any details. Since it's almost certain there won't be an automatic at launch, I'm thinking of cancelling my booking in a couple of days.
I suggest you wait for 2 weeks before you cancel anything. I didnt book anything because I cant without driving anything. Since there are a few more vehicles launching in 2019 in this segment, I thought its better to wait.MG, Kia, etc
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:02   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know what's the process to cancel the online booking made earlier? Their email doesn't have any details. Since it's almost certain there won't be an automatic at launch, I'm thinking of cancelling my booking in a couple of days.

I remember reading in one of the confirmation emails that we need to contact the Showroom selected for cancellation event if it was an online payment. I am in the same frame of mind, but going to withhold booking for at least another couple of weeks until I get a clear picture in AT. I am in no mood to buy a manual however nice and well kitted it may be ...
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:31   #1773
BHPian

Quote:

As per booking confirmation email, the trim details will be officially out by mid December which is when one should decide whether to hold or cancel. I'm waiting for official details to be out post which I'll proceed with cancellation if no Auto on offer. I like most of the features, dimensions etc but Auto is non-negotiable for me. Fingers crossed. Cancellation has to be initiated through dealer is what I was informed by my dealer here though I think even they don't have much details of cancellation process yet. When I informed them about my decision to cancel, they requested me to wait for official word from TML on trim details.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:10   #1774
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Can someone start a poll to check how many want to buy the auto and how many want the manual?
rovingeye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:36   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Can someone start a poll to check how many want to buy the auto and how many want the manual?
This is definitely good data to collect within this thread..

Noob question: How do we start a poll?
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:42   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As it is almost confirmed that there is no AT, AWD, I am going to cancel my booking. In any case I wanted a 7 seater and i was hoping that it will be made available in 2-3 months after launching the 5 seater. 7 seater is said to be showcased only during AutoExpo 2019.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:59   #1777
Distinguished - BHPian

Harrier - No AT at launch - Details

Quote:
Engine and transmission options are limited

Tata didn’t have too much of a choice when it came to selecting the powertrain for the Harrier as there were not too many transverse engines available that would suit the Harrier’s weight and size. Tata Motors were in talks with VM Motori and even Hyundai to source an appropriate diesel but finally zeroed in on the Fiat 2.0 turbo-diesel. What tipped the decision in Fiat’s favour is that this engine, which powers the Jeep Compass, was being locally made, providing a massive cost benefit. Another aspect that adds to the engine’s cost effectiveness is that the Fiat engine is made at the Ranjangaon facility that is jointly owned by Fiat and Tata.

However, the Harrier could not use the Compass’s 9-speed DCT automatic as the transmission isn’t rated to take the load of the heavier Harrier. Again, Tata Motors shopped around, and after talks with a few transmission suppliers like Aisin, finalised the Hyundai 6-speed torque converter auto ‘box. However, the delay in closing the deal with Hyundai has meant there will be no automatic transmission option at launch.

The Harrier is unlikely to get a petrol option in a hurry either. The Fiat 1.4 MultiAir would be an obvious option but again the Harrier’s gross vehicle weight (GVW) which is significantly heavier than the Compass, rules out this option too.

Tata Motors might consider at a later stage a sporty version of the Harrier powered by JLR’s 240hp 2.0-litre Ingenium engine.

At launch, the Harrier will come with just one engine and transmission option – a Fiat 140hp, 2.0-litre diesel and 6-speed gearbox.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd December 2018 at 11:00.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:03   #1778
BHPian

An important quote from the link shared above

Quote:
The seven-seater will get both manual and automatic options from launch.
sachinayak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:04   #1779
Senior - BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...secrets-410646

Tata Harrier gestation according to ACI
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:05   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
So that seals it then. So much hype with controlled leaks and all but all ending with the disappointing news of no AT at launch. These soft roaders will spend a lot of their time in cities which means an AT would be no-brainer. What a shame this is considering the fact that they had so much time and yet could not find a suitable AT to go with the engine. It may or may not effect the numbers overall, but I am out till they have one. Or maybe I will get a Hexa.

Also what about the price leak now? No way they can have a 21 lakhs on road price without either Auto and AWD.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd December 2018 at 15:14. Reason: Minor formatting
vibbs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:06   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Well, this looks like pretty much a confirmation

The same article also Says -

"It’s no secret that a three-row, seven-seater derivative of the Harrier is under development but how different will it be? The biggest difference will be in terms of length. To accommodate a third row, the seven-seater Harrier will be 62mm longer than the five-seater, but there will be no change in the wheelbase. The seven-seater will also be powered by the same 2.0-litre Fiat diesel but with a higher output of over 170hp. The seven-seater will get both manual and automatic options from launch."

IT looks like atleast a year wait for the 7-seater (Safari) and an Auto transmission for both Harrier and Safari.

Last edited by r0ckstar.1 : 3rd December 2018 at 11:09. Reason: Spelling correction and content add
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:13   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Well, this looks like pretty much a confirmation
wheelbase. The seven-seater will also be powered by the same 2.0-litre Fiat diesel but with a higher output of over 170hp. The seven-seater will get both manual and automatic options from launch."[/i]
Well, they said the same thing when the 5 seater was being announced so I will take that with a grain of salt. Also, I feel this is atleast 1.5-2 years away, which is too long. I have no interest in a manual for my next vehicle. I might now go for either the Creta or the Verna, given that I'm not so particular about an SUV vs a sedan.

I'm going to call the dealership in a day or two and figure out the cancellation formalities. I hope they're not a pain. This launch has been a disappointment and even more so because it's not because of any technical limitations, just because the project probably wasn't handled well and they just didn't have time to find a proper gearbox.

Last edited by sharninder : 3rd December 2018 at 11:17.
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:23   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Well, they said the same thing when the 5 seater was being announced so I will take that with a grain of salt. Also, I feel this is atleast 1.5-2 years away, which is too long, I feel. I have no interest in a manual for my next vehicle.
Agree..The Indian buyer transition from Manual to Auto has been really fast and that extra lakh for an Automatic isn't really a blocker anymore for anyone shelling out more than 15+ lakh in my opinion. Come 2020, the discussion will be about how good the Hyundai 6-Speed Auto-tranny would be in comparison to the 9-speed DCT or other better Autos offered by competition..Looks like Tata will always be in a catch-up game and never the front-runner to lead the market..
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:27   #1784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Also what about the price leak now? No way they can have a 21 lakhs on road price without either Auto and AWD.
I hope that they do not kill a good product and price it sanely. Otherwise its just going to be DOA.

While I will probably wait for the AT, the 'No AT at launch' is really disappointing.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:39   #1785
BHPian

What a stunning pic!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20181203_113827.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (25) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks