Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 15:08   #1726
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Many have referred to the Harrier size, price and feature segment to be the one between Creta mid to compass mid.

More specifically to an almost XUV like size and a price between Creta and XUV/ Hexa.

But this is also a 5 seater.

The point really is that Creta is at about 11k units a month and compass has dropped to about 500. So while it is fine to talk about compass like interiors or prestige or build it better be very far away from the compass positioning as that is realistically today a confirmed FLOP in India. All the enthusiasts have gone and bought the compass in the first year and very few remain today to continue the monthly numbers. AWD in the compass does not sell it and Creta has no AWD but lots of features and it sells a lot. A bigger, better Creta with a more plush feel will sell a lot at Creta price and almost not as it approaches compass price without Jeep name.

Lastly AT would contribute significantly to sales but frankly AWD or 4x4 will not sell too many cars and just push up the top model price.
ACM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 15:24   #1727
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I didn't mean to be dismissive and sorry if it appeared so. Just that our definition of prospective customers seem to be completely different.

FWIW, I myself own a pseudo SUV. And there's nothing wrong in calling a spade a spade. BTW, I do not consider the Duster to be one of them since that's quite a capable vehicle coming in a 4x4 version too.

Not sure if you were following the earlier posts on this very thread but it was documented and amply clear that Harrier will be way bigger than the vehicles you mentioned. Now what makes somebody a prospective customer? Somebody who simply likes that car? Or someone who can afford that car? Or someone who likes/needs/wants such a car plus can afford that car? You can probably take out the 'needs' clause there, but I would say a prospective customer is someone who likes/wants that class of vehicle and can afford it too. So, should I say, you have un-become (sorry, I can't find a suitable word) a prospective customer or were you never really one all along?

This is the problem with fixing our eyes on something we don't know yet. For god's sake, let us just wait for a few days and discuss only what we know instead of speculating on what we don't know yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Well, the fact that this car is going to be quite a bit larger than Creta and even the compass was very well known from the early days. Which is why many among us thought that a price above Creta is very well justified. What we didn't know we're just the exact dimensions and of course the weight.

What I believe he wanted to convey is that we all know from beginning that Harrier will not have compact dimensions, then why express disappointment over that now. It's like expressing disappointment on a hatchback thread saying it does not have space for 7 people.

It is not expected to have and if one has been following this thread from beginning would know that harrier was never believed to be as compact as the Creta or compass even!
May be some of us have not followed the thread closely enough but it's a very long thread with so many posts. I was aware that the Harrier will be slightly larger but I didn't know it would be way larger than the Creta/Compass segment (clear 1 or 2 segment above in size). Why I was interested in the Harrier is if it can provide a viable alternative to the Creta by offering better quality, features or driving experience. I was a prospective customer but I am not right now. Please understand that every prospective buyer of Harrier is not as enthusiastic as some of you here. So, I think there is no need to get worked up about that comment.

Last edited by adimicra : 30th November 2018 at 15:25.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 15:48   #1728
BHPian

So, let me summarize again what we know so far. We have a large body that beats all the competition to dust. A comparatively under powered engine at 140 bhp (XUV, Hexa, Compass, Crysta all are above 150 bhp). Seats 5 people and offers lots of luxurious and shiny bells and whistles. Does not offer an auto tranny or an all wheel drive.

Me thinks, they are targeting the young urban crowd here. Also, if there is a competing product they are going after, its got to be the Creta. This ain't no Compass killer; its a nice shiny toy, at most. Dare I say, its a wannabe SUV.

(I know I will get a lot of hate for this post.)
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:09   #1729
BHPian

According to Autocar India December edition TATA motors is contemplating a 4wd system for the Harrier. But the interesting bit is that it will be based on a hybrid drive train, with the conventional engine powering the front wheels and the hybrid driving the rear! The best of both worlds a 4wd and a hybrid vehicle. No timeline mentioned for the launch.

Last edited by damodar : 30th November 2018 at 16:12.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:19   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
A comparatively under powered engine at 140 bhp (XUV, Hexa, Compass, Crysta all are above 150 bhp).
Already on the shopping list https://www.cartoq.com/jeep-compass-...is-the-reason/
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:21   #1731
Senior - BHPian

This was last Saturday at HSR Layout, Bangalore - A2B restaurant. Harrier seems quite huge when viewed up front. I wish they’d gone full LED headlight setup instead of a bumper based headlight and the setup is just for LED DRL & Turn indicators on prod-spec car. In my opinion, it’d have appeared more class and premium with full LED headlight setup. However, the car will surely make heads turn on the road. Rivals, Harrier is all lock & loaded:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-feb18ecf91c543da8601c583738bb181.jpeg  

gururajrv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:27   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Tata Harrier to get unique twin digital screens

Attachment 1823403

LINK
The Visteon smart core controller rumoured to be used on the Harrier allows two different displays to work as one displaying complementary information.

https://www.visteon.com/products/coc...ntrollers.html

Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-visteon-smartcore.png  

mikem is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 18:05   #1733
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have a large body that beats all the competition to dust. A comparatively under powered engine at 140 bhp (XUV, Hexa, Compass, Crysta all are above 150 bhp). Seats 5 people and offers lots of luxurious and shiny bells and whistles. Does not offer an auto tranny or an all wheel drive.

Me thinks, they are targeting the young urban crowd here. Also, if there is a competing product they are going after, its got to be the Creta. This ain't no Compass killer; its a nice shiny toy, at most. Dare I say, its a wannabe SUV.

(I know I will get a lot of hate for this post.)
Agree and Dis

1) Larger segment Body - Totally agree. (Larger than compass and creta)

2) Underpowered: Disagree, as it will be lighter than Hexa, XUV, Innova and more powerful than Creta. Only Compass will have better power to weight ratio.

3) Target Creta - Agree, in terms of numbers to pull away. Creta and XUV would provide the numbers.

4) Compass killer - Actually compass is already Dead. See last 3 month figures. You can't kill what is already dead. Also majority of compass sold are NOT awd/4x4. So Harrier can claim to be equally competitive and bigger in size as well as feature count. It simply can't target the compass segment as the numbers don't exist in that segment and you can't shoot a dead car twice.

Reminds me of the Jeep patent Punto story. It had the best looks, build and engine. It sold the 1.3 MJD to Tata, Maruti and everyone. Punto sales stopped - Engine sales make it the second most profitable automobile company in India (Roughly) after Toyota I.e.

Last edited by ACM : 30th November 2018 at 18:09.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 19:08   #1734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Agree and Dis

2) Underpowered: Disagree, as it will be lighter than Hexa, XUV, Innova and more powerful than Creta. Only Compass will have better power to weight ratio.

Actually based on the autocar scoop which says that the Harrier will weight 1680 kgs, it will have lesser power to weight ratio than the Creta as well and just above the 2.4 litre innova.

However the torque to weight will be higher than all except Compass.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 19:53   #1735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have a large body that beats all the competition to dust. A comparatively under powered engine at 140 bhp (XUV, Hexa, Compass, Crysta all are above 150 bhp).
I think the driveability will be more important here. The space is there, which is causing a small increase in the weight. The power is a tad lower, but we dont have the Torque numbers yet. Even then, I think the power-to-weight or torque-to-weight numbers is what we need to see. But what will matter is how it behaves on the road. A 10-15 bhp lesser power means the power is lesser on paper. But what will matter is - how it drives, both response and handling.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 09:30   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Like you guys said, even if it’s showing less number on the paper, I have the slightest of hope that it would turn out to be a better car on the road than what it seems on paper - mainly because of the following two reasons;

1) Fiat sourced MJD engine. Everyone knows how good Fiat engines are, from a technical front. If Tata has got the tuning spot on, then we are looking at a beefy muscular car both inside & out!

2) Secondly, they did testing on some Natrax track isn’t it? Not sure if the track test was to test how the car performs at extreme acceleration on road? Let’s hope it does a good job on road. Wish they tuned the car like the compass to have 170ps.

Btw, render or just the artist take on Harrier JTP reported on Rushlane.

PS:
Bumper based light setup is making it look a lot busier :(

Last edited by gururajrv : 1st December 2018 at 09:31.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 09:54   #1737
BHPian

Looks like language is starting to emerge that touts the H7X as the Safari replacement. Is it inspired by some of the discussions we've had on this thread earlier? I think it was nainan who was talking about this.

Source.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 11:04   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like language is starting to emerge that touts the H7X as the Safari replacement. Is it inspired by some of the discussions we've had on this thread earlier? I think it was nainan who was talking about this.

Source.
Yes it was me. The dimensions of the H7X alongwith the roof rails and stepped roof gives it a very Safari like profile(in the video) so Safari lovers should be able to relate to it even though the design and everything under the hood is different.

There also seems to be a lot of activty in their SOUL the adventure club for Safari owners of late.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 11:27   #1739
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Yes it was me. The dimensions of the H7X alongwith the roof rails and stepped roof gives it a very Safari like profile(in the video) so Safari lovers should be able to relate to it even though the design and everything under the hood is different.

There also seems to be a lot of activty in their SOUL the adventure club for Safari owners of late.
SOUL is actually not Safari Owners but SUV Owners club and includes owners of Aria and Hexa. Right now most new members come in from Hexa rather than Safari.

The Harrier H7X 7 seater will be much shorter in height than the Safari. (Which is good). Though that need not imply anything about it's future name.

TATA is known to continue existing products that sell even as low as 500 units a month and launch the new one in parallel.

Sumo and Sumo Victa and Sumo Grande

Safari Dicor and Safari Storme

Indica and Indica vista etc.

Above examples of this indicate that Tata could go in any direction for the H7X naming.

Last edited by ACM : 1st December 2018 at 11:35.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 15:57   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
This was last Saturday at HSR Layout, Bangalore - A2B restaurant. Harrier seems quite huge when viewed up front. I wish they’d gone full LED headlight setup instead of a bumper based headlight and the setup is just for LED DRL & Turn indicators on prod-spec car. In my opinion, it’d have appeared more class and premium with full LED headlight setup. However, the car will surely make heads turn on the road. Rivals, Harrier is all lock & loaded:
Wow. Looks a bit like a Discovery Sport. How big was it? About the size of a Mitsubishi Outlander or Honda CRV?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks