Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 12:39   #1681
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
There's nothing wrong or cheap about a hydraulic power steering. If you had read the previous messages in this thread, you would have come across the mods praising a similar steering and wish they use the same in the Harrier. To complete the picture, there's nothing fancy about an electric power steering either, unless you want a feather light steering.
Exactly. Hydraulic steering is liked by many of us. I for one would be happy with a hydraulic steering instead of an electric one. I am bothered about lack of automatic though. My next car needs to have that and when there were talks about customised variants, I was hoping that we get an option of selecting all safety features and automatic transmission on an otherwise base variant.

Not too concerned about lack of AWD or 4X4 as well. Will never be using it.
vibbs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:49   #1682
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

New day, new scoop (from Autocar India). Looks like it won't have an AWD after all (in near future at least). Definitely a bummer for quite a few enthusiasts:

"If you're an off-road enthusiast and have been waiting for the launch of the Tata Harrier, we have some bad news for you - Tata's new SUV will not be offered with all-wheel drive, at least not in the near future.

As you may know, the Tata Harrier is based on Land Rover's L550 platform, and will be powered by a Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine. It’s learned that packaging the Fiat engine for an all-wheel drive setup in the Land Rover platform would require major re-engineering – specifically, modifying the position of the propeller shaft. Given the high costs involved with making such a change and the low demand for all-wheel drive SUVs in the segment, Tata Motors has no immediate plans to launch an AWD version of the Harrier.

The front-wheel drive Harrier will, however, get a Land Rover-like Terrain Response controller with multiple modes for the ESP system"
mroutlander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:55   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralto View Post
Fellow enthusiasts, here comes a major disappointment for some of us

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...CGqZ5qB8xYhYxY
This article is very confusing. Earlier reports said that the 4WD is Tata developed and the engine was also chosen long back so I find it unlikely that its only towards release they find out that both dont fit especially since.

Secondly there are reports of the H7X with the same platform and same engine having it from the get go.

Most importantly with a difference in size between the Compass and the Harrier I would expect a bigger engine bay so not sure why there would be a challenge

The only component of the drivetrain that's recently made its appearance is the Hyundai automatic so it might be the engine-gearbox-auto combo that might be the problem in the automatic version.

Also while Ingeniums are going to be manufactured in India in the future I have not seen any reports of them being deployed on Tata cars and I expect such an integration to definitely take some time
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 13:55   #1684
BHPian

Dang it!! There's nowhere to go for a buyer looking for a decently specced, affordable 5/7 seater anymore. The Hexa lacks a lot of creature comforts and is hell bent upon deleting the few bells and whistles it had, the Harrier won't come with an auto, nor have seven seats, the Alturas is way over priced and isn't worth the money, the XUV500 is too noisy and doesn't have as good a ride quality as you would expect. And none of the above are BS VI compliant/ready, except for the Alturas perhaps.

I think I'll just shelve my plans for now and wait till the dust settles.
rovingeye is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 14:48   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Dang it!! There's nowhere to go for a buyer looking for a decently specced, affordable 5/7 seater anymore. The Hexa lacks a lot of creature comforts and is hell bent upon deleting the few bells and whistles it had, the Harrier won't come with an auto, nor have seven seats, the Alturas is way over priced and isn't worth the money, the XUV500 is too noisy and doesn't have as good a ride quality as you would expect. And none of the above are BS VI compliant/ready, except for the Alturas perhaps.
As you've observed and summed up, there's no perfect car.
Just curious, though. What features do you think Hexa lacks that you were expecting in the Harrier? If you are looking for a 7 seater for less than 20L, you only have the XUV, TUV and the Hexa. I highly doubt even the Harrier 7 seater version will be priced below 20L.

You want features, go for XUV. And for ride, understated style and acoustics, go for the Hexa. On the other hand if you want to save lot of money, the obvious choice is the TUV 300 plus.
prakash_ajp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 15:02   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, though. What features do you think Hexa lacks that you were expecting in the Harrier? If you are looking for a 7 seater for less than 20L, you only have the XUV, TUV and the Hexa. I highly doubt even the Harrier 7 seater version will be priced below 20L.
Well, quite a few actually. Starting right from a decent ICE, keyless entry, push button start/stop, electrical seat adjustments, puddle lamps just to name a few. I'm not looking for a 7 seater at less than 20L. The Hexa on roads at 21 L in Delhi atm. And if the "rumors" are to be believed, that's what the top Harrier will cost too.

But, even if folks who were looking at the 7 seater Hexa XTA actually made the mental adjustment and settled for the 5 seater Harrier, they will still not get an auto! That's a deal breaker, at least for me.

Last edited by rovingeye : 29th November 2018 at 15:09. Reason: fixing typo
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 15:05   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
As you've observed and summed up, there's no perfect car.
Just curious, though. What features do you think Hexa lacks that you were expecting in the Harrier? If you are looking for a 7 seater for less than 20L, you only have the XUV, TUV and the Hexa....
With Harrier length of around 4598 mm, it would be big for indian roads and limited parking facilities in most of cities. This may deter many prospective buyers in metros and tier 2/3 cities and might not fetch numbers for TATA Motors...

Last edited by bblost : 29th November 2018 at 15:28. Reason: quote was broken.
DriveT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 15:32   #1688
BHPian

Name:  Harrierboot.png
Views: 4304
Size:  146.3 KB

Well, for those who complain about lack of usable boot space in the XUV500, Hexa etc, it does look like the Harrier will have it in spades.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 16:02   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1823151

Well, for those who complain about lack of usable boot space in the XUV500, Hexa etc, it does look like the Harrier will have it in spades.
TATA, pls add two seats in there
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 16:04   #1690
BHPian

Quote:

I think I'll just shelve my plans for now and wait till the dust settles.
You just spoke my mind as well...Usually when you are in the mindset to buy something with a reasonable investment, you usually endup buying that you are not totally convinced, only to regret in a year's time. These auto-makers know this buying pattern and they monetize on this with some good marketing and PR. Let's wait and not waste our hard-earned money

Last edited by aah78 : 29th November 2018 at 20:48. Reason: Typo.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 16:20   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
As per the below Autocar report, it is interesting to see that the Harrier is bigger than even the XUV500!! Whats good is the wheelbase is also a healthy 41mm more than the XUV. While it will be extremely spacious for a 5 seater, it also allows Tata to provide an option of a 5+2 combination on the Harrier, with minimal changes.

Attachment 1822983

"The Mahindra, despite having seating for seven, is also slightly smaller – its wheelbase is 41mm less, its length is 13mm less and its width is 4mm less, though it stands 71mm taller than the Tata. This bodes well for the Harrier’s interior space, with the numbers showing that it could be class-leading ."
The Harrier suddenly looks like a XUV competitor than a Compass killer.

They should definitely have space for a third row. Such large dimensions definitely call for 3 rows of seating.
civic-sense is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 16:34   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Harrier suddenly looks like a XUV competitor than a Compass killer.

They should definitely have space for a third row. Such large dimensions definitely call for 3 rows of seating.
The height of the rear half will not allow for it. If you notice the platform from the rear wheel wells on sits higher than the front part which combines with the height of the roof gives very little room in terms of height. Thus they need to raise the roof substantially and the resultant with some more length is the H7X.
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 16:58   #1693
Senior - BHPian

By the time the Harrier actually comes, it may get caught by the BS VI norms that kick in in 2020. Hope the engine the 2.0 MJD is BS VI compliant. I've heard of manufacturers deleting features after launch, but here is Tata deleting features in "scoops" stage itself. This sort of "scoops" dosen't augur well for a product in gestation. Harrier has become an enigma of sorts: LR Disco Sport chassis, FIAT engine and manual gear box, Hyundai ?? automatic gear box, or is it someone else? The Harrier looks great but will only be a Creta competitor (which btw has automatic options). With the traffic as it is, without an automatic option a big diesel SUV is dead.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 17:14   #1694
Senior - BHPian

I think it is premature to write obituaries of the product that isn't even born yet (launched). Yes, the news coming out the past few days isn't great but lets wait and watch what Tata has planned for the Harrier.
I am not sure how much not having an AWD/4x4 will hamper the sales but skipping the AT might very well do.

I am amongst the few that has booked the car on the day the bookings opened with the hope that I will drive home a Harrier that will have:
1. A diesel Automatic (absolute must)
2. Good performance (not sure how this will pan out considering the car's weight)
3. Sunroof (yeah, i know)
5. Good infotainment system Visteon and JBL, so covered here)
5. Spacious and comfortable
6. Other mod-cons that will make driving a pleasure

So my first key consideration itself is struck off, but I am holding on to hope that the AT might come in a few months time.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 19:03   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
2. Good performance (not sure how this will pan out considering the car's weight)
The same engine is used on the Jeep Compass in the UK which weighs approx 1600 Kg. Top Gear finds this version of the Compass their choice so the performance at least from an engine and weight stand point should not be bad. The incidentally also use it on the 1800 Kg Cherokee.

I also wonder why Jeep did not launch it in India with a lower pricing as this seems to be a much more value product.

OVERALL VERDICT
The Top Gear car review:
Jeep Compass
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks