Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 10:16   #331
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

I think the Seltos will be priced more in line with the current Harrier pricing. I remember the Kia head saying that they would want to position their products at a slight premium in the respective segments. The GT line may match the current Harrier XZ in terms of pricing.

This would also leave room for Hyundai to bring in that top end variant of their Venue AT.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st June 2019 at 15:54. Reason: Spacing
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 10:22   #332
Senior - BHPian

The Seltos looks absolutely smashing in the flesh. The front looks totally aggressive and I love the design language. While they didnt allow access to the interior, I managed to sneak in for a minute and the quality inside felt top notch too. The engine gearbox combos look interesting and if all goes well I might just bing home the 1.4 GDI with the 7 speed DCT next year. Pricing will be the key though and I expect it to affect the Creta and the Hector, Harrier, Compass club as well

Here's a small video I shot at the event

Last edited by ajmat : 21st June 2019 at 13:26. Reason: typo
Dippy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 10:25   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I think the Seltos will be priced more in line with the current Harrier pricing. I remember the Kia head saying that they would want to position their products at a slight premium in the respective segments. The GT line may match the current Harrier XZ in terms of pricing.

TOI printed edition mentions the starting price of 10 lakhs! I don't know if there is any merit to it or it is just a speculation.
Old 21st June 2019, 10:38   #334
Senior - BHPian

The Seltos is developed based on the current Creta, I believe. Some similarities can be seen even visually in the A-pillar, side profile and tail lamp portion. My guess is that Seltos 5-seater will be priced aggressively in the current Creta range, while the next gen 7-seater Creta will be pushed higher into the next segment. This way, the Hyundai-Kia group can cash-in on the popularity of Creta as well as the space being emptied by current gen Creta.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st June 2019 at 10:45.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 10:52   #335
BHPian

Have see the live streaming and then been following the posts. Its getting interesting and thanks to folks who have prior KIA experience, sharing their thoughts. It sure gives a perspective.I've had the chance of doing some KIA rentals in US in the recent years and its been super positive experience.

Speaking of Speakers!

8 Speaker system - we saw 2 Front Door speakers, 2 Front Door tweeters and a Central Speaker in the dash.

So my pick is that there won't be any tweeters in the rears. It'd be just 2 rear doors (which we see in pics) and perhaps a Sub in the boot ?

Old 21st June 2019, 10:56   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
The Seltos is developed based on the current Creta, I believe. Some similarities can be seen even visually in the A-pillar, side profile and tail lamp portion. My guess is that Seltos 5-seater will be priced aggressively in the current Creta range, while the next gen 7-seater Creta will be pushed higher into the next segment. This way, the Hyundai-Kia group can cash-in on the popularity of Creta as well as the space being emptied by current gen Creta.
From what I know, the Seltos is the base for "next gen Creta" which will come with both five and seven seater options. No clue on whether the Seltos will get a seven seater variant or not.

fx45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 11:17   #337
BHPian

God damn, what a way to make an impression! How are they going to manage the production line for so many transmission options?! Also, these seem to be the longest bulbs seen on headlamps ever. Gotta love competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
People complain about the Creta being too expensive for a hatchback on stilts and this is on the same lines unless Kia pulls a rabbit out of the hat with the suspension and 4x4.
It was only people who had a deep understanding of the market that complained. The common folks lapped up the Creta and have made it one of Hyudai's biggest success stories. It's not that Indians don't have money to burn, they just want to see something aspirational to spend it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Now, I'm reading a lot of comments above that Kia & MG are entering a sinking ship.
Well said man The metaphorical ship sank because they let it rust away. They got greedy and tried to get the most money with the least effort by cutting corners along the way as you have so aptly described. Hopefully launches such as this wakes them up.

Last edited by Iyencar : 21st June 2019 at 11:35.
Iyencar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 11:26   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsUnlimited View Post
I am sold on this ride , hope they price it sensibly. Even Creta territory won't be too bad; anything above Creta and they will have an uphill battle.
You aren't seriously expecting this to be priced below the Creta right? With so much equipment on board, there is no way this is going to be in Creta territory. This is surely going to be more in line with the Harrier.
drmohitg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 11:52   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
From what I know, the Seltos is the base for "next gen Creta" which will come with both five and seven seater options. No clue on whether the Seltos will get a seven seater variant or not.

As per ACI, KIA is exploring a 7 seater MPV based on the Seltos instead of a 7 seater SUV. Things sure are getting interesting.
Old 21st June 2019, 11:58   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
As per ACI, KIA is exploring a 7 seater MPV based on the Seltos instead of a 7 seater SUV. Things sure are getting interesting.
Yah I saw that but I dont think it will rival the Ertiga, but more of Marazzo types.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 12:22   #341
BHPian

Can someone help me in deciding the right combination based on all these engine and transmission options, or do I need to enroll myself in Automobile engineering course? :-).
How does an average buyer (like me) know if a naturally aspirated engine is better than a turbo, or its more matched towards a particular variant or towards a purpose? Who is going to recommend or educate buyers about these combinations. I am confused. Online articles talk about air intake in engine manifold etc...flies over my head.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 12:44   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Can someone help me in deciding the right combination based on all these engine and transmission options, or do I need to enroll myself in Automobile engineering course? :-).
How does an average buyer (like me) know if a naturally aspirated engine is better than a turbo, or its more matched towards a particular variant or towards a purpose? Who is going to recommend or educate buyers about these combinations. I am confused. Online articles talk about air intake in engine manifold etc...flies over my head.

Its pretty simple sir. Depends on the purpose that its going to serve.

Naturally Aspirated Petrol
- For a sedate drive
- Simple A to B Commute with limited running
- AT/CVT if you need comfort

Turbo Petrol
- Spirited driver
- Simple A to B Commute but need fun.
- DCT Auto if required,for comfort in city traffic

Diesel
- Need a lot Fuel efficiency
- Cover more than 1000KM/month + lots of highway runs
- AT if you need comfort.

Hope this helps

@Mods, please remove if this is off topic.

Thanks
Ragav J
RJ411 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 13:02   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
TOI printed edition mentions the starting price of 10 lakhs! I don't know if there is any merit to it or it is just a speculation.
I saw that too in the morning. TOI just cracks me up. They wrote the car will be priced at 10 lakh period. Well, is it ex showroom? on road? base model? auto transmission? manual? which engine? Pathetic reporting.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 13:15   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post

Its pretty simple sir. Depends on the purpose that its going to serve.

Hope this helps

@Mods, please remove if this is off topic.

Thanks
Ragav J
Thanks a ton for making it simpler. Mods may move this out, but I still feel this is a relevant question.

Now, one last time, please tell me in "natural" language, for our legendary Bangalore traffic (!) where now there are official traffic curbs in place for FOUR years, and for a corporate guy like me (read: de-spirited, devoid of all fun), 50kms drive per day (which feels like 500), which is the best combination?

Believe me, I will buy your suggestion with my eyes closed, assuming other approvals comes by :-).
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 13:17   #345
BHPian

I have lived in the UK, where people don't treat Korean and Japanese cars with much respect, except of course the Toyota. However, that will not be the case in India where Hyundai has already established itself.

Speaking of the product, the design definitely seems to be well done. So are the interiors and options.

However, my opinion is that since yesterday was global launch of the product, it is highly likely that all the engine and transmission options showcased were the entire set that will be on offer. I think that Kia will customise the offering differently for different markets. For example, there may not be more than one petrol and diesel engines. Also, launching all the three: CVT, DDCT and TC in automatic may not make sense.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks