Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 16:41   #2806
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Surprised because with Creta Diesel you can hear both inside and outside the cabin (Engine clatter is audible). Seltos, you cannot. It is remarkable in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Personally I would pick Creta if diesel and Seltos if petrol.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:00   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Surprised because with Creta Diesel you can hear both inside and outside the cabin (Engine clatter is audible). Seltos, you cannot. It is remarkable in that sense.
The engine in Creta is more lively and the punch is addictive. Yes Seltos is refined but performance is comparable to Nexon/Ecosport diesels.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:22   #2808
REN
BHPian

Hi Everyone! First post on Team-BHP after being a lurker for years. Thank you mods for approving my membership!

Currently in the market to replace our ageing first-gen Ford Figo TDCi. After months of research, test drives and contemplation, we’ve decided on the Seltos DCT. I’ve taken multiple test drives of the Kia Seltos over the past few weeks. I’ve driven the Diesel MT, Turbo Petrol MT, DCT and 1.5 IVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Anyone here driven the 1.5L Petrol + IVT ? A friend wants to buy the HTX petrol IVT and interested to know about the CVT drivability, Especially the rubber band effect and how it is contained by Kia ?
I had the chance to take the IVT on a 45-min test drive and was really impressed. And I will say it right off the bat – Kia’s IVT is the best CVT I’ve driven. I’ve driven most of the CVTs available in India under 20 lakhs and have always been left wanting. KIA’s IVT has a chain-type belt instead of push belt, new pulley design and a better oiling system. And it really shows. It is very responsive and for the most parts, it doesn’t even feel like a CVT. The simulated shifts it has really sells it and makes it feel like a TC/DCT. The rubber band effect is present but it's less pronounced than the other CVTs I've driven. I found it easy to avoid it by slightly adjusting my driving style. The 1.5 NA Engine felt adequate. 114 bhp is not a lot but the engine never felt underpowered even on the highways. I actually preferred the IVT over the DCT in traffic due to its smoothness and low speed drivability.

A Polo GT TSI is my current daily driver. The Seltos is going to be our family car with different people driving it. So we were more than happy with the IVT. But we chose to stretch our budget and go with the DCT over the IVT primarily due to the lack of safety features on the HTX trim. We weren't ready to spend 16.5 lakhs and not have 6 airbags, ESC, Hill Hold etc. The Kia DCT is very good too. It's definitely no DSG, but it was really close.
REN is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 18:17   #2809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The deliveries for Seltos began 2-3 weeks back right? Surprisingly I'm yet to see a single one on the streets where I see every new car in a week from launch. Or supply is differing across cities/tiers?
I have been wondering where the 6200 odd Seltoses went. So far I have only seen one white Seltos here in Cochin during Onam which is our biggest festival of the year. I would have expected a blitzkrieg by the Kia dealership to get the new cars out for the holidays.

That said, overall the number of new vehicles with temporary plates on the roads has been very low, despite the festive season. This is due to the prevailing negative sentiment in the national and local markets. These are tough times for local businesses and this has a direct impact on the purchasing power that is getting manifested in the low sales activity.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 18:21   #2810

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
According to the dealers D-AT is commanding the most waiting time and both confirmed that the GTX+-D-TC has not even got into production yet so the wait would be much longer.

I have been informed that that GTX+ D AT production will start in October.
guessme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 18:35   #2811
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I have been wondering where the 6200 odd Seltoses went.
Seen three in Amritsar.
One grey, and 2 white.

Dont expect it to be a hit here. The kia showroom is pretty deserted. And no advertising on radio/newspaper.
Old 16th September 2019, 19:10   #2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by REN View Post
I had the chance to take the IVT on a 45-min test drive and was really impressed. And I will say it right off the bat – Kia’s IVT is the best CVT I’ve driven.

Any observation around fuel economy of 1.5 IVT?

I took test drive of D AT and GTX DCT. I tested fuel economy for both considering its a test vehicle and the vehicle itself will be in a run in period. I think Diesel should be able to easily give 13 KMPL in City. It was showing 12 KMPL to me. GTX DCT was showing me 8.5 KMPL on exact same stretch and I believe should give around 9-10 Max in real life.

I have not tested 1.5 IVT and would like to know if anyone has tested its fuel economy?

Last edited by guessme : 16th September 2019 at 19:14. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 16th September 2019, 19:42   #2813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guessme View Post
I have been informed that that GTX+ D AT production will start in October.
Same here. I am at booking number 40 and still have been committed to the october mid delivery.
Old 16th September 2019, 19:45   #2814
BHPian

Update : just crossed 1300 kms, what a fun to drive car, flickable in the city traffic, drop a gear and dissappear in open roads, light steering, feather light clutch, slick gear shift.

My brother converted his compass booking to HTK+ diesel, so I'll have fun of both the engines.

Got a call from Service advisor for 1st service appointment, will take it sometime before this weekend, will check the possibility of below tweaks.

1) In gear display in MID, sometimes its confusing whether it's in 6 th gear or 4th, or whether 5th or 3rd.

2) Change the direction of song selector switch in left steering control matching the volume control direction, right now it's down for next track and up for previous, while the volume increases with up button.

3) Android auto Map direction arrow with next turn distance display in MID.

Accessories planned as of now,

1) Twin USB fast charger near rear AC vent.
2) Roof top bike carrier.
3) Customized noodles mat for boot and rear of back seat, to carry farm related equipments / plants by folding the rear bench.
4) Loading bay trim/ cover.
5) Cargo net.
Don Dasco is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 21:04   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I have been wondering where the 6200 odd Seltoses went. So far I have only seen one white Seltos here in Cochin during Onam which is our biggest festival of the year..
Incehon Kia has been slow coaches for quite some time now. They ve not given me a test drive yet. They don't give test-drives on Sundays. As per staff there they have delivered around 50 cars in the last one week. Most cars delivered were gtk plus and diesel manuals as per staff. They have around 1000 cars to be delivered in next 2 to 3 months. They are expecting around 450 cars to reach them by this month end.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:22   #2816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The engine in Creta is more lively and the punch is addictive. Yes Seltos is refined but performance is comparable to Nexon/Ecosport diesels.
You clearly in that case my friend have not driven the Seltos Diesel. Until you do, putting the previous post of AMG Power which is coming from a Autocar comparo. In the real world, what really matters is the in-gear acceleration which you can see the figures below to show a comparison b/w Creta and Seltos. Don't get misguided by the numbers, I have driven both and I experienced the same. The Seltos diesel is seriously quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Hyundai / Kia seem to have tuned their new 1.5 diesel benchmarking the current 1.6 diesel. Forget the Creta, the Seltos is as fast as the lighter and more powerful Verna in the in-gear acceleration times.

20-80 in 3rd gear:

Seltos - 9.91
Verna 1.6 - 9.87
Creta 1.6 - 11.52

40-100 in 4th gear

Seltos - 11.99
Verna 1.6 - 11.88
Creta 1.6 - 12.42

Well done Hyundai / Kia!

Last edited by AGwagon : 17th September 2019 at 09:24.
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 11:55   #2817
BHPian

Hi guys, reposting my query in this thread as well (posted in VIN decode thread) to get a quicker response.

Guys can someone help me decode Kia Seltos VIN
MZBEU813MKN012892
D4FAKM870585

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th September 2019, 12:18   #2818
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

20-80 in 3rd gear:

Seltos - 9.91
Verna 1.6 - 9.87
Creta 1.6 - 11.52

40-100 in 4th gear

Seltos - 11.99
Verna 1.6 - 11.88
Creta 1.6 - 12.42

These timings are really what matter under real world driving conditions. The 0-100 timings don't.

20-80 in 3rd gear:
XUV500 10.65 s
Harrier 10.32
Jeep Compass 9.37

Let's go a segment lower
Nexon 11.02
Xuv 300 9.74

40-100 in 4th gear
XUV500 11.56 (faster than Seltos)
Harrier 11.31 (faster than Seltos)
Jeep Compass 10.26 (faster)

Again, a segment lower
Nexon 12.95
Xuv 300 12.85

So the XUV and the Harrier have the Seltos licked for space, road presence, and even performance.

No replacement for displacement, mate. The Seltos is, no matter what anyone says, at the end of the day, a measly 115 bhp diesel.

Also, don't be that selective in choosing competition.

All figures from Autocar India.

Last edited by simeonovitch : 17th September 2019 at 12:32. Reason: Extra info added
simeonovitch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:32   #2819
BHPian

Don't know if anyone else also noticed in the Seltos brochure the diesel AT picture had the drive modes and red stiching, so they would have decided to launch the GTX+ well in advance before the launch. The IVT however also gets the red stiching (cut copy delete )

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
20-80 in 3rd gear:
XUV500 10.65 s
Harrier 10.32
Jeep Compass 9.37

40-100 in 4th gear

So the XUV and the Harrier have the Seltos licked for space, road presence, and even performance.

No replacement for displacement, mate.
No point arguing, but for me and most people here, 9 out of 10, the 20-80 run is far more interesting than 40-100, where Seltos is simply quicker than XUV and Harrier. Do not get me wrong, I have done more than 1lakh km in the XUV and I absolutely loved it. Also I thought you only started comparing the Creta Vs Seltos Diesel, so I was keeping it to that.

Also, none of them have a practical Diesel Auto (except the dated 5 speed in XUV, and over-expensive Trailhawk), so you really do not have a choice!

Last edited by AGwagon : 17th September 2019 at 12:40.
AGwagon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:34   #2820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
20-80 in 3rd gear:
XUV500 10.65 s
Harrier 10.32
Jeep Compass 9.37

40-100 in 4th gear

No replacement for displacement, mate.

Sorry buddy but you are selectively picking one data point to prove your point. Seltos is faster than both the XUV500 and Harrier in 20-80kph (3rd gear), which you are conveniently ignoring. I don't have 0-100 kmph times but I wont be surprised if the Seltos is quicker or similar to the others.

Compass is priced way higher and should not be compared with Seltos anyways. Anyways, performance is just one aspect what matters ultimately is the overall package and it seems to me Seltos currently appears to be the best bet for me considering all aspects.
adimicra is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks