Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 20:06   #271
BHPian

re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's like 33.5-34L in Karnataka. Wow, that's a lot. Now it is competing with Volkswagen Tiguan, without the snob factor.
Don't really think there is a 'snob' factor for VW Tiguan. Sure, there is quality but compared to the mighty twosome of Ford Endy and Toyota's cash-cow Fortuner or when including the jacked up wagon i.e. Skoda Kodiaq to finally call it a threesome, there really isn't a single defining feature that warrants the price or the sensibility of purchasing a Tiguan, IMHO.
djay434 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 21:06   #272
BHPian

Holy smokes! That is just crazy pricing. With the dismal state of the automobile industry in India I can't figure out the logic behind such product launches. Either Jeep thinks that the Endeavor/Fortuner buyer is stupid enough to look at the price of the Trailhawk and assume it to be in the same segment and cross shop or they genuinely/delusionally think that their product is actually as good. Either way it's a joke.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 21:40   #273
BHPian

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk EDIT: Launched 26.8 lakhs

I see this model primarily for exports. If it is too expensive for India, it will be just about right for the export markets. Nothing else explains the ROI for 1500 CR pumped in by FCA. More dollar per car seems to be the mantra.

Slightly OT: If Hyundai does a one off 4X4 Creta and sells it even for 20 or 21 lakhs on road, it will be a guaranteed success with the kind of fan following the Creta has.

Last edited by Ford5 : 25th June 2019 at 21:51.
Old 25th June 2019, 22:18   #274
BHPian

This just made the Tuscon and Tiguan a lot more value for money!
Bizarre pricing! Other than a diesel AT, and some off roading ability which no one will ever use, this has nothing over the regular Compass to justify the huge almost 6 Lakh on road price difference.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 22:41   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IMHO, Jeep should have gotten the Compass Diesel AT first. The Trailhawk could've been a fun project for later. It's now 2 years since launch and the Compass still doesn't offer a Diesel AT combination, something that SUV owners absolutely love!
Exactly. The AT should have come first in 2WD even. Then that broadens the appeal. Secondly get the BS6 engine. Finally get the whole shebang trailhawk.

This has just shocked people away.

If they had gotten the 2WD with ZF9 Limited plus for 22.5L ex showroom then would have been 27-28L on road. This would have got people to look up and notice.

Most looking for AT don't need the AWD, they just want the AT convenience.

Then add another 1L for BS6 next year and then get trail hawk a few months later.

This is just bad market planning.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 01:03   #276
BHPian

I don't think they would sell the AT box without the 4x4 system. The first gear is to help offroading. Don't think they have the 2.0/4x2/AT combo on sale anywhere in the world.

Last edited by civic-sense : 26th June 2019 at 01:05.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 08:22   #277
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
Don't really think there is a 'snob' factor for VW Tiguan.
Still a classier, bigger & better quality car with a price that's in the ballpark of the Trailhawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Then add another 1L for BS6 next year and then get trail hawk a few months later.
There's no way BS6 is costing anyone 1 lakh rupees. Manufacturers are so cost efficient that they build entire engines for less money than that. No way does compliance cost them so much.

Read in the VW book that it would cost VW just $300 or so to make the 2.0 TDI meet California's strict emission norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I don't think they would sell the AT box without the 4x4 system. The first gear is to help offroading. Don't think they have the 2.0/4x2/AT combo on sale anywhere in the world.
If one doesn't localise strategies & tweak things for India, they will always be at a disadvantage. Give the market what it wants!

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2019 at 08:24.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 09:09   #278
BHPian

I wonder who the target group for this product is. There are better and cheaper options for what the product delivers.

Thar Roxor launched AT in the USA. If the new Thar comes with Diesel AT, what will be the point of Jeep Trailhawk?
Old 26th June 2019, 09:56   #279
BHPian

The other day I was thinking that Jeep can be in a sweet spot if it launches an SUV in the Fortuner Territory. If Mahindra can do decent with Alturas, even Jeep can with some marketing efforts. And Jeep did exactly that! If they read my mind, they read it half. I intended to localize the production of the 2020 Wrangler and provide it in the 35-40 lac category. Jeep definitely can. And due to the snob value of jeep and the classic silhouette it can take in better numbers compared to the wranglers right now. They're losing their turf fast, and they're failing to act in the right direction.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 09:58   #280
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk EDIT: Launched 26.8 lakhs

+1 GTO.

A few months ago, an upgrade from Limited Option to Limited Plus cost 90k, FCA added

1) Panoramic Sunroof
2) 18 inch alloys instead of 17 inch
3) Powered and memory driver seat
4) Automatic Headlights
5) Automatic wipers
6) 8.4 inch head unit instead of the 5 inch.

Now just the panoramic sunroof costs an additional 90 k. How bizarre is that?

Jeep is going to head the Fiat way. The strategy seems all bonkers at the moment.

Imagine what Kia can do with the additional 10 lakhs? Massage seats with your own butlter service.:

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 26th June 2019 at 10:07.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 10:19   #281
BHPian

Re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
I wonder who the target group for this product is. There are better and cheaper options for what the product delivers.

Thar Roxor launched AT in the USA. If the new Thar comes with Diesel AT, what will be the point of Jeep Trailhawk?
Offtopic: Thar Roxor is mean't to be driven only off road. It is not a street legal vehicle there. If they can provide an AT there why not here?
Old 26th June 2019, 10:20   #282
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While I will admire a Trailhawk in person and consider whoever drives one to be an enthusiast, there are so many better ways to spend 32 lakhs OTR.

Buy a Creta Diesel AT AND a Thar. Or a Seltos AT / XUV500 AT / Hexa AT and a Thar.

Buy a Compass Petrol AT AND a Thar. Two Jeeps .

Buy an Octavia 1.8 TSI AND a Thar. A true enthusiast's garage.

Personally, I'd buy a slightly-used like-new Endeavour 3.2 or Fortuner 2.8 4x4, extend the warranty to 6 / 7 years and close the deal .

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2019 at 10:23.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 10:20   #283
BHPian

When someone says in this forum that a product is overpriced, it just means this - the product is well above its deserved price range regardless of the gizmos and features added to it. Now one might have numerous arguments to justify the pricing - but it remains a fact that the majority of the aspirants who were waiting for the car won't go for it anymore (after months of waiting period for the variant to get launched).

I had owned a Punto 90HP for 6.5 years and I sold that and bought a Tata Hexa. Originally, my plan was to go for Compass Limited variant. Reason: Price difference of 3-4L. FCA might have its own reasons to price the products with a premium - but the fact is that it is killing its own fan base with such decisions. FCA doesn't basically care for Indian market - they like to export cars and pass a few to us if we need.
vinodvayyat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 11:01   #284
BHPian

With the crazy deals on offer, someone has to be out of his mind to buy this overpriced Crap.

Enthusiast: X1
Daily Drive: X1
A mix of both: 3GT - Crazy deals on offer
Off road Enthusiast - Buy a Thar or something

This Car is priced in No mans land
Old 26th June 2019, 11:49   #285
BHPian

Jeep Compass Trailhawk is a great product by it's merits with very few downsides like lethargic AT and relatively smaller size.
But, I think FCA has goofed up it's pricing because:
1. Most of the people were waiting for just 4x4 AT (maybe even just diesel AT) combination in the compass. Even though the trailhawk has great off road ability, not many need those but value for money pricing was needed.
2. On road pricing of 32+ lakhs pushes it into marginal distance of Fortuner/Endeavour, Tucson/Tiguan and even the german trio with some heavy discounting on offer making the trailhawk less desirable. FCA should have stuck below the psychological barrier of 30 lakh OTR pricing and shouldnt have omitted features compared to the previous top end versions. Right pricing would have really made the trailhawk a success because like i said before it is a great product which has 'do it all' abilities.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks