Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2018, 12:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Non-hybrid Toyota Camry removed from official website

Thanks to Roni Simon for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Non-hybrid Toyota Camry removed from official website-2015toyotacamryfacelift.jpg

Toyota has removed the petrol version of the Camry from its official website. Additionally, on inquiring with a dealer, we were informed that the Camry petrol was not available. This indicates that the variant is likely to have been discontinued. According to the October 2017 price list, the Camry petrol was priced at Rs. 29.75 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). Toyota continues to sell the Camry Hybrid, which is priced at Rs. 37.22 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The updated Toyota Camry was launched in April 2015 and offered in two variants - petrol and hybrid. As part of the facelift, the Camry received a new front fascia with a redesigned front bumper housing a large air dam and circular fog lamps. While the hybrid variant got LED headlights, the petrol version had HIDs. Also, unlike the Hybrid which got 17-inch alloy wheels, the petrol version came with 16-inch alloy wheels.

The Camry petrol was offered with the same 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine as the Hybrid. This unit produces 179 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 233 Nm of torque @ 4,100 rpm. However, unlike the Hybrid, the petrol came with a 6-speed automatic transmission with sequential shift.

The Camry petrol was equipped with safety features such as 7 airbags, ABS with EBD and brake assist, vehicle stability control, hill start assist and ISOFIX child seat anchors.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 23:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Non-hybrid Toyota Camry removed from official website

I also noticed this while answering my friends queries regarding which car to choose-Camry or superb-. I noticed the absence on the website and checked with the dealership for the same.
My friend has now finalized the superb tsi
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:08   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think it's because the 8th-generation Camry will be arriving soon. Won't be surprised if its showcased at next week's Auto Expo too.

Toyota better do something about the increasing price difference between the petrol & hybrid Camrys though. I'd read in an older post on Team-BHP that the Hybrid version accounted for an overwhelming majority of Camry sales (like 75% or more). But that was also from a time when the Hybrid was priced within a handful of lakhs of the regular Camry and was a no-brainer choice. In fact, as recently as 2017, the Camry Hybrid was priced at 32 lakhs (related post).

But the Hybrid is now 37 lakhs ex-showroom . What's more, the difference from the petrol-only version was running close to 9 - 10 lakhs on the road. Is the Hybrid tech worth that much for a typical Camry customer? Nope.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
URL]).

But the Hybrid is now 37 lakhs ex-showroom . What's more, the difference from the petrol-only version was running close to 9 - 10 lakhs on the road. Is the Hybrid tech worth that much for a typical Camry customer? Nope.
Toyota needs to get over this Hybrid obsession, only in India as the govt has given a clear message that they do not want to promote Hybrids. While I completely disagree with the govt on this, I think Toyota needs to be smarter and do whats required to get volumes in. Instead of discontinuing the petrol version they ought to promote it by pricing it better.
The 25-30 lakh segment is an open playing field for the Skoda Superb and VW Passat to some extent now,both of which are not the first names in reliability- Toyota is! If only they price the Camry to take on the Superb instead of trying to take on the likes of the C-class, it will sell well.

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd February 2018 at 11:22.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 14:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

There are enough people who've burnt their hands with Skoda / VW who want a reliable, understated luxury car - and the Camry Petrol at less than 30L ex-showroom was the answer!
While they would have preferred going the Hybrid route, given the Govt. is not interested in a cleaner environment - many would have been happy to pick up the regular Camry instead at a price difference of nearly 9L on road as GTO pointed out!

Hope Toyota brings in the latest model soon, and with a well priced petrol option!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks