Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2018, 18:45   #1
BHPian

BMW X3 20d gets a new M-Sport variant

BMW has launched a new top trim for X3(the current model). It comes with the msport kit and comes at a price of 54 lakh ex showroom. It gets the usual M features. IMHO this just a way to clear the existing stock of the current X3 before introducing the new one.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 10:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X3 20d gets a new M-Sport variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terroris View Post
IMHO this just a way to clear the existing stock of the current X3 before introducing the new one.
You said it ! I don't know why anyone would buy an 8 year old design / car when the new one has already arrived internationally (related thread).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 10:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You said it ! I don't know why anyone would buy an 8 year old design / car when the new one has already arrived internationally (related thread).
I'm sure some people would get lured in by the tasty discounts pouring in at the moment. For some people it's only about the badge. I know this because one of my friends was enquiring about the X3 and I obviously told him about the upcoming one. He was like "bro people only see the bmw badge, the car doesn't matter". So for people like him X3 is an X3 and certainly a BMW is a BMW. The discount is like an added bonus for them.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 11:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

They have discontinued the X-Line variant and replaced it with the M sport. So now there is only the entry level expedition and the top of the line M Sport. Price difference of about Rs. 5.00 Lakhs. Important features missing in the expedition would be adaptive dampers, wide screen iDrive with navigation professional, sport seats, sport transmission with paddles, and 18" wheels instead of 17" and of course the M body kit.

The new X3 should come here by April 2018. I am sure great deals can be had on this outgoing F25 model for the next couple of months. If one can eek out good deals on maintenance packages too, you get a very sorted and dynamic German SUV for a little more than Skoda Kodiaq money.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 12:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The new X3 should come here by April 2018. I am sure great deals can be had on this outgoing F25 model for the next couple of months. If one can eek out good deals on maintenance packages too, you get a very sorted and dynamic German SUV for a little more than Skoda Kodiaq money.
Someone got an X3 Expedition for 49L OTR Mumbai recently.
BMW should be quite eager to get rid of their old stock of X3's - especially with the newer and better competition in town which is only going to make it harder for them.

I'd expect the M-Sport to have discounts running from Day 1.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Someone got an X3 Expedition for 49L OTR Mumbai recently.
BMW should be quite eager to get rid of their old stock of X3's - especially with the newer and better competition in town which is only going to make it harder for them.

I'd expect the M-Sport to have discounts running from Day 1.
I wouldn't recommend the expedition variant purely because of the lack of adaptive dampers. I think this one feature is a must have for the X3. BMWs generally have stiff suspensions and with run flat tyres, ride comfort can be iffy. With adaptive dampers you can have a comfortable ride when you want and at the press of a button stiffen the suspension for sporty handling. I would rate this as one of the most liked features of my X3 .
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I wouldn't recommend the expedition variant purely because of the lack of adaptive dampers. I think this one feature is a must have for the X3. BMWs generally have stiff suspensions and with run flat tyres, ride comfort can be iffy. With adaptive dampers you can have a comfortable ride when you want and at the press of a button stiffen the suspension for sporty handling. I would rate this as one of the most liked features of my X3 .
I agree - but I am still not convinced on how much of an improvement they are.
Each person has their own preferences - and I for one preferred the F10 5 series without the adaptive dampers which IMO were either too soft or too stiff.

That and I am not convinced about their reliability.

But at the same time I am getting the M Adaptive suspension retro-fitted on our F30 so hoping for the best!

Either ways, a lot of my friends have the base X3 and it rides quite well for a BMW.
IMO RFT's should just be thrown out for the perfect setting!
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is a great option for someone considering a premium SUV from a luxury brand(especially first time buyers) , the mechanical bits are sorted because of the long production run hence maintenance won't be much of a hassle.

SUVs maintain better value and the M trinkets should help with resale just in time to upgrade to the LCI a few years down the line. The electronic bits are modern, that's a big plus.
avira_tk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 17:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

M Kit for the 20d is a welcome move but sadly whoever the customers are, once they see how the upcoming new gen X3 looks they sure would want to wait for it;

BMW X3 20d gets a new M-Sport variant-bmw-x3-1.jpg

BMW X3 20d gets a new M-Sport variant-bmw-x3-2.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 9th January 2018 at 17:02. Reason: Typo
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 22:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
M Kit for the 20d is a welcome move but sadly whoever the customers are, once they see how the upcoming new gen X3 looks they sure would want to wait for it;

Attachment 1714543

Attachment 1714544
Beg to differ here... Looks too-X1 IMHO. I like my new X1 more after this was revealed. I wished they went in for a more muscular stance similar to the X3, SUV after all
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 07:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
M Kit for the 20d is a welcome move but sadly whoever the customers are, once they see how the upcoming new gen X3 looks they sure would want to wait for it.
I agree! Pricing will be key though, the segment has now lot of options like the GLC, XC60 and the new Q5.
And happy to see that the headlights no longer meet the grille
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 12:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Beg to differ here... Looks too-X1 IMHO. I like my new X1 more after this was revealed. I wished they went in for a more muscular stance similar to the X3, SUV after all
No doubt the current gen X1 looks good, but saying it looks better than upcoming X3 may offend future prospective buyers or some current owners as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And happy to see that the headlights no longer meet the grille

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks