Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 11:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport launched at Rs. 42.48 lakh

Land Rover has launched the 2018 Discovery Sport in India. The updated SUV is available in four variants with prices starting at Rs. 42.48 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport launched at Rs. 42.48 lakh-2018-land-rover-discovery-sport.jpg

Little has changed on the exterior of the 2018 Discovery Sport. The raked front fascia has been carried over along with the headlights with circular LED DRLs. Similarly, the side profile remains unchanged, while the rear features the same wraparound tail lamps with circular lights and a roof spoiler.

Inside, the 2018 Discover Sport does come with a few updates. It is now offered with a Wi-Fi hotspot and Pro Services in addition to the existing InControl Apps feature. The Wi-Fi hotspot uses a SIM card that can provide 4G access to up to 8 devices. The ‘InControl - Pro Services’ offers features like the Route Planner App, Commute Mode and allows for sharing updates to contacts on expected time of arrival via SMS. The base ‘Pure’ trim comes with 5 seats, while the remaining 3 variants are offered in a 5+2 seating configuration.

The 2018 Discovery Sport will be available only with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine which produces 148 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and a peak torque of 382 Nm @ 1,750-2,250 rpm. The top-spec HSE Luxury trim gets the same engine in a higher state of tune. It makes 177 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 430 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. All variants come with a 9-speed automatic gearbox and an all-wheel drive system. Features like Terrain Response, traction control, hill start assist, Roll Stability Control (RSC), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Trailer Stability Control are standard.

Other features include automatic headlights, rain sensing wipers, tyre pressure monitoring system, cruise control, park assist with rear view camera, 2-zone climate control, airbags, ISOFIX child safety seat anchor points among others.

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

Pure - Rs. 42.48 lakh

SE - Rs. 48.67 lakh

HSE - Rs. 52.31 lakh

HSE Luxury - Rs. 57.46 lakh

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 11:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport launched at Rs. 42.48 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

Pure - Rs. 42.48 lakh

SE - Rs. 48.67 lakh

HSE - Rs. 52.31 lakh

HSE Luxury - Rs. 57.46 lakh
Thats a cool 8 lac cheaper than March 2017 when the Ingenium 2.0 were launched. Copying older price for comparison.
Updated prices (ex-showroom, Mumbai)-March 2017
• 2.0 Diesel Pure - Rs. 50.72 lakh
• 2.0 Diesel SE - Rs. 57 lakh
• 2.0 Diesel HSE - Rs. 60.86 lakh
• 2.0 Diesel HSE Luxury - Rs. 64.76 lakh
• 2.0 Petrol HSE - Rs. 59.81 lakh

I know post March we had GST, cess come into play, but I thought after cess price went back to pre-GST level.

Last edited by PrideRed : 19th December 2017 at 11:45.
PrideRed is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 11:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol engine discontinued?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 12:23   #4
BHPian

The Pure has fantastic pricing, especially when you compare it to the likes of Kodiaq (not considering the 5-7 seating here). Getting into this league at this price is surely lure-some for the ones who can afford it.
Torquedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 12:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

JLR group seems to be rationalising prices across the board. First the Jaguar F pace saw some decent price cuts and now the Disco Sport. Attractive pricing I must say. Many people I know tend to leave out JLR products from their consideration set and stick to the German trio. With these price cuts and competent products I am sure it'll be hard for people to ignore them now.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 13:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
The Pure has fantastic pricing, especially when you compare it to the likes of Kodiaq (not considering the 5-7 seating here). Getting into this league at this price is surely lure-some for the ones who can afford it.
However, the JLR group strategy is to offer really stripped bare variants at low price points to get people into the showroom and then up-sell them to a higher variant. The previous Pure version had barely any more features than an mid level Polo. Cloth seats, no cruise control, no LED/xenon lights, manual seat adjustment, not even body colored door handles, no front parking aids etc.

Cannot be compared to the Kodiaq, which at 34.99 ex-showroom (a good 10 lacs less on-road) offers only one variant which is fully specd, including leather seats, 3 rows of seats, pano-sunroof and every other creature comfort you can imagine and then some.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Cannot be compared to the Kodiaq.
And then there are some who bought the 1 Series and the GTI's.

Lust of a brand matters the most to people shopping in this category and Skoda to LR, please, the less said the better.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 14:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, the JLR group strategy is to offer really stripped bare variants at low price points to get people into the showroom and then up-sell them to a higher variant. The previous Pure version had barely any more features than an mid level Polo. Cloth seats, no cruise control, no LED/xenon lights, manual seat adjustment, not even body colored door handles, no front parking aids etc.

Cannot be compared to the Kodiaq, which at 34.99 ex-showroom (a good 10 lacs less on-road) offers only one variant which is fully specd, including leather seats, 3 rows of seats, pano-sunroof and every other creature comfort you can imagine and then some.
Its bare basic but there are quite a few people interested in these variants. Take me for instance, Pure looks perfect for me-Minimum electronics and maximum safety. I might be wrong but always feel these kind of cars are more reliable and enjoyable to drive. No fancy electrics, no gimmicky features-Just drive! When I am in market for a new SUV I will definitely give Pure a thought. Only let down is the 150HP motor which is a bit of let down on a 50lac car-heck even my 20lac Crysta makes as much power.
PrideRed is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 23:31   #9
BHPian

42L for the Pure seems exciting till you realise its like paying 5000 for a 5 star hotel room with a bamboo mat to sleep on. Seems like a great deal till you need to lie down.

At some point it dawns on anyone who has visited a LR showroom that the HSE is in reality the "base" model they sell. The Pure is largely a gimmick to get you through the door. Having said that, I think at 52L ex, the HSE is still a great vehicle.

OT: Wish the E Pace would launch sooner.
reihem is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 10:49   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That's a heck of a starting price from Land Rover! And even if we ignore the base variant, the two variants next in line are nicely priced too.

It's amazing how some of the expensive cars are becoming more accessible (new E-Class, 5-Series, F-Pace price cut, new Volvos), but the premium cars from the regular brands (Fortuner, Kodiaq etc.) have climbed up. The gap is diminishing. Case in point = The Camry Hybrid has an ex-showroom price of 37 lakhs in Mumbai .
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Now this is very interesting. This pitches the Discovery Sport squarely against the new XC60 and the discovery undercuts it by a significant amount in the HSE trim. These two are arguably the best looking mid size SUVs out there, so BMW, Mercedes and Audi should have a tough time in this segment.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 12:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

There have been recent price cuts due to local assembly (and whatever reason the companies give to justify the cut). This should also translate to lower cost of spares and eventually, ownership costs as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 12:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Yes, the base variant seems extremely well priced but surely anyone going into that range will be ludicrous to spend nearly ~55 Lacs on road with several missing features (many of them essential) that even a 10 Lac Polo or i20 offers. It's a clear up-sell tactic & more of a 'luring to the showroom' strategy and then a seriously interested buyer will surely go for the higher level models.

But nonetheless good to see the prices becoming more & more reasonable nowadays, still remember the F Pace (absolutely love it!) which was mind boggling from a pricing perspective when launched.
KAUBMW7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:44   #14
BHPian

While the price seems amazing on paper, the whole package just doesn't do it for me. The Pure trim is just for those looking for the snob value of owning a JLR car because, as already mentioned by others here, it just doesn't even have features that you would expect in cars 2 segments below. And then there is the engine, 177 BHP for a 2 ton car, that's meant to carry 7. I know this is an SUV and all and that torque matters more than BHP but at least for the top trim, they should have thought of a more powerful engine. This was one of the cars that my wife liked and I did consider it briefly but I just get the feeling that BMW, Audi, Merc and Volvo offer a whole lot more at the same price point. Even the F-pace, at 60 lacs (after the price drop), comes with the same engine.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 12:06   #15
Team-BHP Support

Most if not all JLR products have historically had ridiculous pricing (early pricing on the Freelander 2 a slight exception). If they have started correcting now its more than welcome and much needed.

My one peeve with the Disco Sport is that it still flogs the 148 BHP @ 4,000 rpm spec all the way up to the HSE variant. I feel all variants deserve the 177 BHP spec at the price point this vehicle is playing in. People are peeved at even the Tiguan sporting sub 150 BHP - in a Disco Sport its totally unacceptable.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks