Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2017, 19:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2017 Volvo XC60 launched at Rs. 55.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
So I paid a visit to the Volvo showroom and checked out the XC60. First impressions, it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be.
In terms of driving and tight turning it isn't as big as it looks. Yes the inside space is quite good.
Quote:
Would love to know the thoughts of other members here as I am seriously considering booking the car.
My experience over just under 3 years and now almost 40,000 kms has been flawless. The car has been absolutely trouble free. The service has been simple and straightforward and thus far no spares have needed changing. If the budget and heart says yes then go for it.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 19:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would love to know the thoughts of other members here as I am seriously considering booking the car.
I have come very close to considering buying a Volvo in the past (last gen) but few things did not appeal:
1. Interior design (not quality)
2. Exterior design
3. Risk of looking outdated as I tend to keep cars for long

4. Driving Dynamics
5. Service support over a long period of time

In the current generation, 1, 2 and 3 points have not only been addressed but they just hit the ball out of the park.

So you just have to ask yourself about 4 and 5. If you wish to keep the car for long, #5 becomes a very important factor.

Overall I can say that if you are not aiming for BMW level of driving dynamics, then this is a very good option. I also think Volvo cars are very popular with Hyd buyers (I wonder why).

One thing I must add is that don't go by the impressive list of features alone. If you are the type who loves a 6 cylinder, no amount of seat massaging will please you. Focus only on features that matter to you when you are comparing two cars.

Last edited by androdev : 17th December 2017 at 19:20.
androdev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 11:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
4. Driving Dynamics
5. Service support over a long period of time

One thing I must add is that don't go by the impressive list of features alone. If you are the type who loves a 6 cylinder, no amount of seat massaging will please you. Focus only on features that matter to you when you are comparing two cars.
As far as driving dynamics are concerned, am taking a test drive, and a rather long one, this weekend so I guess we will know more. I know the X3 will easily be the best handling car in this segment and the XC60 wouldn't be able to match it but as long as it doesn't feel sluggish, is responsive enough to make those quick overtakes, I would be fine.

With regards to #5 in your post, I really have no idea about Volvo's A.S.S. Is that a concern? I hope it isn't Skoda like horror stories, given that my current car is a Skoda. Can any of the Volvo owners pitch in with their experiences so far. I know V.Narayan has had trouble free ownership so far which is encouraging.

With regards to the feature list on the XC60, most of the reviews (by NDTV, Overdrive etc.) of the European version mentioned that we, in India, will get the top of the line spec, with the D5 engine. Of course, there were a few surprises like the paddle shifts, the ventilated seats with massage etc but what changed my mind was the fact that some or many of these features might become optional in the future. That's what got me thinking about this car. I always had BMW (V6) in mind but the value for money proposition of the XC60, what with it being a CBU and all, has got me confused. And to be honest, this is going to be more of a family car in the city, with a couple of vacation trips in a year, where having good ground clearance, a good safety package and AWD is always handy.

BTW, now that Volvo has the permission to use radar based features in it's cars, do we know if other manufacturers will also be allowed the same?
sunny310c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With regards to #5 in your post, I really have no idea about Volvo's A.S.S. Is that a concern? I hope it isn't Skoda like horror stories, given that my current car is a Skoda. Can any of the Volvo owners pitch in with their experiences so far. I know V.Narayan has had trouble free ownership so far which is encouraging.

BTW, now that Volvo has the permission to use radar based features in it's cars, do we know if other manufacturers will also be allowed the same?
If Volvo can, other manufacturers will jump suit too - they have in on their international trims anyways. But what remains to be seen is what features they will offer here and in what models - I doubt the X3 would come with radar based features before the 7 series.

Also, what is questionable is whether the new X3 will be launched in the 30d guise, and if it is - expect it to be priced very close to the 530D (as was the case with the previous X3).

In terms of performance - the XC90 uses the D5 engine too - though I am not sure if they're the same, but a drive in that recently was brilliant! Being a CBU it comes with a slightly stiffer suspension as well - according to my friend who recently picked up the S60.

Given both the cars are now available in international markets, why not read up on some comparisons between the two? It will hopefully help in understanding the basic premise of what both cars offer which will help you make up your mind.

Honestly - my take is that the X3 may just be easier to live with, will come with a more attractive price tag and loose out on some missable gizmos compared to the XC60. But the XC60 is what will wow you every time you sit inside it because of the nicer interiors and quality.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as driving dynamics are concerned, am taking a test drive, and a rather long one, this weekend so I guess we will know more. I know the X3 will easily be the best handling car in this segment and the XC60 wouldn't be able to match it but as long as it doesn't feel sluggish, is responsive enough to make those quick overtakes, I would be fine.
My take on this is, wait for the BMW X3 only if you are keen on 6 cylinders. As far as the 2 litre diesels are concerned, the X3 will be down on power compared to D5 XC 60, but it will make up for it in the dynamic handling department and the transmission. In all other respects the Volvo will have the X3 beaten. If you are a keen driver, I may have just added to the confusion . Otherwise the answer is clear : Go for the XC 60.

Looking at the success and demand for the 530D, BMW may be tempted to bring in the X3 30d pretty early on. Remember, in this segment, Merc and Volvo have no 6 cylinder option and Audi I am sure won't be brave enough to bring in the Q5 3.0 V6. 6 Cylinder diesel is an entirely different experience in this class .
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 15:38   #36
BHPian

If you want a driver centric car, just try to get a 6 cylinder X3 as soon as it is launched. But if you are looking for an all rounder, I think XC60 is hard to beat. My only concern about XC60 is about the long term support and parts availability as Volvo is planning to stop selling diesel cars in a couple of years. Not too sure about BMW's long term diesel car strategy though.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 20th December 2017 at 15:40.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 15:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

In terms of performance - the XC90 uses the D5 engine too - though I am not sure if they're the same, but a drive in that recently was brilliant! Being a CBU it comes with a slightly stiffer suspension as well - according to my friend who recently picked up the S60.

Given both the cars are now available in international markets, why not read up on some comparisons between the two? It will hopefully help in understanding the basic premise of what both cars offer which will help you make up your mind.

Honestly - my take is that the X3 may just be easier to live with, will come with a more attractive price tag and loose out on some missable gizmos compared to the XC60. But the XC60 is what will wow you every time you sit inside it because of the nicer interiors and quality.
The D5 engine is exactly the same as in the XC90, which is why the performance in a lighter car should be even better. I have read various comparisons and the XC60 is looking good in most of them, except the driving dynamics bit. Having said that, there is a problem with most comparisons. For Volvo, the trim used for most comparisons is the Inscription/Inscription Pro in UK, which is similarly spec'ed or lesser than what we get in India, but for BMW, most comparisons have the M40i, which we will most likely not get in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My take on this is, wait for the BMW X3 only if you are keen on 6 cylinders. As far as the 2 litre diesels are concerned, the X3 will be down on power compared to D5 XC 60, but it will make up for it in the dynamic handling department and the transmission. In all other respects the Volvo will have the X3 beaten. If you are a keen driver, I may have just added to the confusion . Otherwise the answer is clear : Go for the XC 60.

Looking at the success and demand for the 530D, BMW may be tempted to bring in the X3 30d pretty early on. Remember, in this segment, Merc and Volvo have no 6 cylinder option and Audi I am sure won't be brave enough to bring in the Q5 3.0 V6. 6 Cylinder diesel is an entirely different experience in this class .
Well, I had my heart set on the V6 and had decided I wouldn't make a buying decision until I test drove that car but then Volvo happened. Actually, to begin with, I had booked the Tiguan, almost 2 months before its launch, but was disappointed with the car in terms of the overall package on offer, especially at that price point. My biggest gripe was that Volkswagon decided that we in India didn't deserve the top trim, with all the bells and whistles, with the more powerful engine, even though there were asking quite a lot of money for it. Now contrast that with Volvo, who are offering a car that is better that what is on offer in US/UK, with all gadgets and gizmos, with their best diesel engine on offer for this car, as a CBU, at what I think is an excellent price. So how can I overlook the value proposition of that or so I think .

Damn it's tough to make a decision. If only Volvo were more open about the future trims of the XC60 and the kit on offer. I am hoping a TD will help me make a decision. BTW, I have never driven a 6 cylinder car so maybe that is a good thing as I won't know what I am missing .
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:16   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The D5 engine is exactly the same as in the XC90, which is why the performance in a lighter car should be even better. I have read various comparisons and the XC60 is looking good in most of them, except the driving dynamics bit. Having said that, there is a problem with most comparisons. For Volvo, the trim used for most comparisons is the Inscription/Inscription Pro in UK, which is similarly spec'ed or lesser than what we get in India, but for BMW, most comparisons have the M40i, which we will most likely not get in India.

Now contrast that with Volvo, who are offering a car that is better that what is on offer in US/UK, with all gadgets and gizmos, with their best diesel engine on offer for this car, as a CBU, at what I think is an excellent price. So how can I overlook the value proposition of that or so I think .

Damn it's tough to make a decision. If only Volvo were more open about the future trims of the XC60 and the kit on offer. I am hoping a TD will help me make a decision. BTW, I have never driven a 6 cylinder car so maybe that is a good thing as I won't know what I am missing .
The 30d trim if it does come is definitely going to be a no-brainer in terms of performance, but it all boils down to your priorities - if you want a safe car that will spend most time in the city with the odd family out of town trip - the XC60 with it's goodies is bound to impress you.
If you want something that is going to keep you grinning every time you drive it - the X3-30D if it is launched. Even if it isn't, the 20d motor will definitely have a MPPK Kit which should boost power to close to X3-25d levels as an option

Both these cars will satisfy your longer term needs - like outstation trips. Question is for daily usage, what would be a better bet for you?

If you drive yourself, and see yourself spending considerable amount of time on the ORR - the X3 may just be the better bet, but if you're going to be driven around or spend time in city traffic - the XC60 may just do a better job: nothing beats getting a massage while stuck in traffic listening to your favourite beats on the excellent sound system!

For future cars - I wouldn't expect them to remove many significant features, or at least they'll offer them on the higher trims. Maybe a couple here or there like how Mercedes does it, but I am sure a lot of the goodies will be retained.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:42   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, I don't know if all that is truly optional and being offered as part of the Launch Edition but even if just 50% of those features are being offered as part of the Launch Edition, to me, it makes a compelling case to book the Launch Edition.

Indian spec car is TOP SPEC! Period. Just go for it and buy, you won't regret it, make it quick, since the kits are limited to about 2-3k as per plans for India.

Quote:
If you drive yourself, and see yourself spending considerable amount of time on the ORR - the X3 may just be the better bet, but if you're going to be driven around or spend time in city traffic - the XC60 may just do a better job: nothing beats getting a massage while stuck in traffic listening to your favourite beats on the excellent sound system!
On the contrary i would suggest XC60 over the X3, i have driven X3 for a brief period when it was offered as a loaner car for the office 5 that broke down, and my comparison is with the i gen previous model of X3.

Volvo drives as enthusiastically as the X3, atleast for the Indian conditions (sub 150 kmph), as a driver you won't miss anything. The additional safety and drive features would make the experience much more enriching compared to the X3. So if i were to put my money, i would do it with the Volvo.

On the service side i have heard far lesser horror stories with Volvo compared to BMW, maybe latter has much more volumes, but the experience with Bangalore dealer was always horrible from technical competency perspective. So much so that i ensured we picked the Endy when the heart was pointing to something from BMW.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 17:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:

For future cars - I wouldn't expect them to remove many significant features, or at least they'll offer them on the higher trims. Maybe a couple here or there like how Mercedes does it, but I am sure a lot of the goodies will be retained.
Thanks lamborghini.

It's going to be a self driven car with majority of it in the city, not using the ORR so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Indian spec car is TOP SPEC! Period. Just go for it and buy, you won't regret it, make it quick, since the kits are limited to about 2-3k as per plans for India.

Volvo drives as enthusiastically as the X3, atleast for the Indian conditions (sub 150 kmph), as a driver you won't miss anything. The additional safety and drive features would make the experience much more enriching compared to the X3. So if i were to put my money, i would do it with the Volvo.
Thanks Jaggu!! BTW, when do you think the official TBHP review for the car would be ready? Can't wait to go through that.
Old 20th December 2017, 17:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The D5 engine is exactly the same as in the XC90
Just checked this and I am wrong. Looks like the D5 that comes in the XC90 does not have the PowerPulse technology and generates 225 BHp with 470 nm of torque. The D5 on the new XC60 and the V90 has powerpulse and generates 235 Bhp of power with 480 Nm of torque.

With Powerpulse, the D5 engine generates twice as much power, much sooner in the acceleration.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...-car-may-2016/
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Volvo XC60 launched at Rs. 55.90 lakh-volvo_03.jpg  

sunny310c is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 18:05   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My take on this is, wait for the BMW X3 only if you are keen on 6 cylinders.
This is an excellent advice. I don't know your age or what kind of a driver you are but Volvo is the European Lexus. It is both a complement and an insult. I am not happy every time I had to use a Volvo during my trips abroad - they offer the best front seats in my opinion and great interior quality but the drive is so so. I would rate it below VW fleet. This is my personal opinion.

But if you are more interested in quality, design, aesthetics, etc. and not too crazy about BMW 3.0L, you should buy the XC60 immediately before the window of opportunity closes. Why speculate about CKD if you can afford this nice package at such a reasonable price? The golden rule of Indian car market is that if you find a luxury car attractively priced, grab it before it's too late.

About the long term ownership: I think it is just a bit of unease with a model that is not likely to be sold in many numbers. The X3 gives a bit more psychological comfort due to the relatively larger number of fellow sufferers.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 18:06   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
On the contrary i would suggest XC60 over the X3, i have driven X3 for a brief period when it was offered as a loaner car for the office 5 that broke down, and my comparison is with the i gen previous model of X3.

Fair enough - exactly what I mentioned in one of the previous posts - Indian BMWs are a little softer at times as compared to the CBU Volvo and this was apparent in the 320D Pre-LCI and S60 which my friend ended up buying.

However, the new X3 is supposed to take the game to the next level, esp with the 30d engine if it makes it to India.

@sunny: However, IMO if you're happy driving the XC60 then go for it - all of this is subjective, and at the end of the day it needs to put a smile on your face. If you enjoy driving the Volvo - go for it, esp with the features and tech available.
If not, wait for the X3!
Case in point: I drove the F10 530D on a trip, and even though the car is way quicker - I found the steering to be to numb and wasn't that impressed with the car's ride and handling as some other members are.
In comparison - the W212 E350d though not as quick, but the well tuned suspension and liquid steering felt that much better to drive over the conditions I face everyday.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 21:31   #44
BHPian

This is so tempting! I too started with the Tiguan in mind, and was disappointed. Upped the budget to the X1. Started with the xLine, and then the bells and whistles on the MSport beckoned me. That sets you back 50l on road in Mumbai. Then I drove the XC60 last weekend. Absolutely beautiful - nothing I could fault it on. Even my wife thought it was too much luxury, without knowing the price It ticks every single box I could think of, except budget. This comes a good 20l on road above the X1 MSport. No way I'll be able to convince myself (or my wife) to stretch that far! (Sigh)
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 07:43   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

How Off-Road Worthy is the New Volvo XC-60? (T6)

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks