Lexus ES300h 3 0.13%
Volvo V90 Cross Country 19 0.80%
Volvo XC60 21 0.88%
Voters: 2387. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2017, 18:06   #316
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Compass has won the Car of the year in the Car and bike awards by NDTV.

But what was very surprising and shocking was that the Ignis was a very close 2nd in CNB, beating the Verna and the Nexon! Wonder what was the logic behind auto journalists and some very "elite" panellists voting for the Ignis? I don't want to debate about the car, but it's nothing special. It looks quirky and that's where it's USP ends. It's no typical VFM Maruti, has ridiculous interiors except for the top end variant, is very very light, and hence probably quicker than most other cars in its segment! I struggle to understand what these folks thought while rating this year's cars!

Like how the team bhp results show, 4 cars have been truly special this year, The Compass, Nexon, The new Verna and the Hexa. Each of these cars have sort of defined new benchmarks in their segments and in fact the Compass has almost created a new segment and hence I think it's lead in the poll. Although I voted for the Compass, I would be happy to see any of the other 3 cars win as well!
Whatever little respect I had for CNB is gone now!
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 21:41   #317
BANNED

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Jeep Compass has won the Car of the year in the Car and bike awards by NDTV.

But what was very surprising and shocking was that the Ignis was a very close 2nd in CNB, beating the Verna and the Nexon! Wonder what was the logic behind auto journalists and some very "elite" panellists voting for the Ignis? I don't want to debate about the car, but it's nothing special. It looks quirky and that's where it's USP ends. It's no typical VFM Maruti, has ridiculous interiors except for the top end variant, is very very light, and hence probably quicker than most other cars in its segment! I struggle to understand what these folks thought while rating this year's cars!

Like how the team bhp results show, 4 cars have been truly special this year, The Compass, Nexon, The new Verna and the Hexa. Each of these cars have sort of defined new benchmarks in their segments and in fact the Compass has almost created a new segment and hence I think it's lead in the poll. Although I voted for the Compass, I would be happy to see any of the other 3 cars win as well!
Whatever little respect I had for CNB is gone now!

I drove the ignis diesel recently for a longish dinner drive. I had driven the AMT petrol just after launch for a short distance and wasn't impressed much as I dislike the AMT.

My perception totally changed after the recent drive in the ignis Alpha diesel. I stepped in thinking of it as a glorified swift but found the interior quality & features way better than the competition. The retuned MJD felt livelier lower down the range. Most importantly the driving characteristics were very un-Maruti like. Yes I hate the rear design but my perception has definitely changed after that long drive. The suspension felt really planted. It's an achievement for Maruti to enhance a product at this level.

I am not trying to justify what the NDTV folks were doing. The New Verna and Nexon definitely deserve to be placed above the Ignis. All I am saying is that pls don't look at the Ignis like any other Maruti hatchback. It's over priced as hell but the product should get the credit where it's due.

P.S- The Figo Diesel is still my favorite in that segment.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 21:55   #318
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass

Off topic but I could not help but notice a single vote for A5, who is the sole soul who has voted for the Audi A5?
That guy should be atleast asked what made him choose A5 over others, granted in his view it was the car of the year but I am more than eager to know what actually made him choose it.

Last edited by aviral2122 : 16th December 2017 at 21:57. Reason: Typo
Old 16th December 2017, 22:12   #319
BHPian

When I saw this thread today, within a fraction of second I had guessed possible first three positions in my mind. Then I voted and saw the results. Bang on.
Year 2017 truly belonged to these three cars. Though we can vote for only one car, which I did, I would like to elaborate why it was real difficult choice this year. Given the fact that this poll is not segment specific, it made it even tougher to choose. I'm listing my three contenders.

Tata Hexa: Though based on older platform, this car showed us the direction Tata was heading after Tiago and that they are serious about it. Not a fan of MPV design or car of this size but when I saw this one in person, it made me really happy. This car is everything that a previous Tata car wasn't. It can hold it's own even in the company of cars twice its price. Will I buy this one? No. But I can imagine the possibilities if Tata puts as much efforts into the all new Safari as they did with Hexa. That would make an irresistible proposition and a chance to live a childhood dream.

Jeep Compass: A lot has been said about this one. A good product at an attractive price will bring sales. Market perception about manufacturer not withstanding. I'm seeing more Compass-es on road than I see Nexon. Will I queue up to buy this one? Yes, if money wasn't the constraint.

Tata Nexon: With this one Tata took forward where they had left with Hexa. Very well built. Capable car. Betters every other car in it's segment on specification. Will I buy this one? I had booked one even before launch. Cancelled. And picked up the S-cross. Not much wrong with the Nexon though. Some of the designing quirks and a few practical negatives if taken care of in the later generations, this could be a long hauler for Tata.

So, did I vote for one of these three above?
No.
Why?
Maruti Suzuki Dzire
It came. It saw. It conquered.

Probably the least discussed car on this forum. This car was already the best selling in the segment in it's previous avatar despite the much maligned design and the arrival of newer and more capable challengers. Discounting the segment/price limitations, it takes a lot to better the best. MS did just that with this Dzire. Some of the competitors are already gasping. Swift, Baleno and even Ciaz are bearing a little brunt. A lot of people I know have changed their bookings, from across segments, to the new Dzire.
Will I buy one? Yes. If I was in the market for my first car (petrol), I would only be confused between this one and coming Swift. [Nothing beats the free revving Suzuki 1.2 petrol at this price. For diesel, Figo/Aspire twins make more sense.]
So, Maruti Suzuki Dzire is my COTY.

Disclaimer: Already a proud owner of second gen Dzire (P), the only Dzire that I still turn my head to see. May be it is too early, but this newer design just doesn't invoke the same feeling in me that the older one does.

Last edited by drnilswap : 16th December 2017 at 22:21.
drnilswap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 08:58   #320
BHPian

Voted for Compass. I think to be a car of the year, it has to have that something special that will define its segment altogether and Compass did just that. A competent car at a correct price in the midst of Cretas and Crystas.

Would have voted for kodiaq if it was priced around 30L. I think it's a bit overpriced otherwise this is my second contender of this contest.
Old 17th December 2017, 19:21   #321
BHPian

Voted for Jeep compass. It has to be the car of the year. Because, for the first time brand Jeep had come up with such a lovely pricing in India. The way it looks, the driving experience is fabulous. This is the first generation Jeep Compass in India, hope with the time this car will be relevant by offering features, more sportier engines etc. in the next generation's model.

Thnaks!
Old 19th December 2017, 18:03   #322
BHPian

Compass for me, without a doubt. A game changer for FCA in India. A brilliant product with top notch safety rating, drooling looks and gem of a diesel engine. Carrying Fiat's DNA to Compass (look, build quality, handling, steering and suspension) while sacrificing on some of the creature comfort is a bold and welcome move by FCA IMHO.
Old 19th December 2017, 18:26   #323
BHPian

Voted for the Compass. Positives are: great comeback by FCA, tank like build quality, great engine, looks and road presence. Negatives are: dummy buttons on steering, narrow rear seat is comfortable for 2 healthy adults only and unclear ASS. I would have liked the lower variants to be a bit more loaded with features as compared to the top end variant, which could have been slightly reasonably priced IMHO.
Old 19th December 2017, 22:33   #324
Senior - BHPian

For those who are interested, here is a history of Team-BHP Car of the Year.

Car of the year:
Tata Nano
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-nano.html
Total Votes: 1058
Tata Nano got 406 votes (38.37%)
Vehicle sales: Flop. After the initial excitement, sales dropped off. Now selling less than 1000/month.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Car of the year:
Ford Figo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ford-figo.html
Total Votes: 979
Ford Figo got 375 votes (38.3%)
Vehicle sales: Hit. Sold a consistently high number (5-6K per month) in the initial 3 years, then tailed off. Now discontinued, replaced by new Figo, which is a sales flop.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...go-2010-a.html

Car of the year:
Mahindra XUV5OO
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ra-xuv500.html
Total Votes: 2626
Mahindra XUV5OO got 1487 votes (56.63%)
Vehicle sales: Super hit. Continues to consistently be the top performer in the segment. Facelift, automatic, variant rejig launched over the past 2 years continue the success story.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Car of the Year:
Renault Duster
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lt-duster.html
Total Votes: 2122
Renault Duster got 1135 votes (53.49%)
Vehicle sales: Super hit - at the time. Defined a segment, and sold huge numbers until competition caught up with it. Now feel badly outdated, and is a slow seller despite facelift and automatic variants being launched.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Car of the Year:
Ford Ecosport
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-ecosport.html
Total Votes: 1362
Ford Ecosport got 696 votes (51.1%)
Vehicle sales: Moderate hit. Unique offering in the compact crossover segment, carved a niche for itself. Good sales numbers despite new competition. Facelift launched recently appears to continue the success. Best selling Ford model for a while now.

Car of the Year:
Tata Zest
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-zest.html
Total Votes: 2454
Tata Zest got 962 votes (39.2%)
Vehicle sales: Flop. Has not met Tata's expectations, did not pose a threat to the Maruti DZire. Appears to be heading the "taxi" way.

Car of the Year:
Renault Kwid
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ault-kwid.html
Total Votes: 2363
Renault Kwid got 692 votes (29.28%) - the narrowest winning margin. Hyundai Creta polled 557 votes (23.57%), Maruti-Suzuki Baleno 330 (13.97%), and the Figo-Aspire twins got 293 (12.4%)
Vehicle Sales: Hit. Initial bookings were strong, and Renault has upped the game delivering to expectations. Selling over 8000 per month.
Kwid 1.0 review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
Kwid AMT review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
Car of the Year:
Tata Tiago
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ata-tiago.html
Total Votes: 2451
Tata Tiago got 901 votes (36.76%)
Vehicle sales: Hit. Has been (mostly) finding around 5K-7K homes every month.
KiloAlpha is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 23:39   #325
BHPian

Just thinking out loud here.

How many people who have voted here have actually test driven/experienced the compass? Versus being influenced by the teambhp review. If there is a large majority who is influenced by the team bhp review voting for this poll then it's a bit unfair since I don't believe that all the cars participating in the poll have an official review out yet.

Any thoughts on that?
vishnurp99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 00:36   #326
Senior - BHPian

A a departure from earlier years, I do not find any car standing head and shoulders above others. So I refrained from voting.

Would have voted for Tigor because TATA again created a (sub)segment, and the car looks fab - but did not as the engine + gearbox does not live upto the looks+features. A proper 4 cylinder engine + a proper AT box would have suited this car.

The new Verna is good from all angles - looks and performance, but again is an evolutionary upgrade rather than being a new car built from scratch.

Same goes for the new Dzire, which has much improved looks from the last generation.

Other cars I know too less about or haven't seen enough on road or didn't strike me as COTY material.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 01:11   #327
BHPian

Voted for the Compass. Priced well, comes with a punchy 2.0 litre multijet engine, looks stunning & has a special appeal. It seems to be selling well, but then all new FCA products tend to get off to a good start initially & then the sales number drops.
Old 20th December 2017, 15:46   #328
Senior - BHPian

Today, my Nexon wanted a pic with what could be TeamBHP COTY 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass-img_1220.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 20th December 2017 at 15:57.
Sebring is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 20:12   #329
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Tata Hexa. More specifically the amazing XTA.

As always, the biggest priority was how the car made me feel when I drove it. And the Hexa was simply a wonderful experience. The first time I took it for a spin, I just felt like driving it more and more. The whole package has been tuned so well that the whole is definitely more than the sum of parts with the Hexa. The drive train is wonderful, the ride is EPIC and the handling is great. Love that sport mode!! And we haven't even spoken about the practicality, the brilliant value, that great looking interior, its sheer attitude on road, safety on offer or that great entertainment system. It really deserves to sell a lot more in the market.

Can't help but put a word out for the Compass. I just love the way it looks inside out. Except for that touchscreen - that's the only dull part of the car with a very poor integration on the dash. Everything else is just perfect! And boy, the build quality is from many segments above. The buckle of the seat belt, those lights inside the grab handles, the way those heavy doors close etc. truly makes it a special affair. The ride and handling is also good. But the drive didn't sweep me off my feet the way I expected it to. The 2.0 engine was a typical FCA affair. You take it on the road and will wonder where those 170 horses have gone. Maybe, I will need to keep it for a day or two to really get that engine. And Jeep should definitely equip it with more airbags.

As of now, the Compass is still not there yet to dislodge the Hexa from the pedestal for me. Maybe a face-lift will make the Jeep more complete. And that's why the Tata is my COTY 2017! Well done!
deetjohn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:23   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Voted for the Tata Hexa. More specifically the amazing XTA.

As always, the biggest priority was how the car made me feel when I drove it. And the Hexa was simply a wonderful experience.
Exactly my thought. The Hexa has it all. One more thing I would like to add is that its so car like to drive - you would never feel its such a huge car in proportions. On the same day, I drove an Innova Crysta AT and thats when I was convinced how good a car Hexa is. To put it in one sentence, Hexa is by far the best all rounder car that I have driven in India - including its VFM.

With the news that Hexa is going to get a few more additional features, nothing else could excite me more. :-)

Last edited by devansn : 22nd December 2017 at 11:27. Reason: Added one more line
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks