Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 12:57   #301
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Verna bags ICOTY 2018 award.
Whenever Hyundai releases a new car, it always wins ICOTY award? I think Creta, i20 and Grand i10 also winning the award.
Old 14th December 2017, 13:08   #302
Team-BHP Support

While all the discussions are around the top 5 candidates in the poll, here are the bottom 5 too -

Cars with less than 10 votes at this stage. Looks like these guys completely failed to capture the imagination of Team-Bhp'ians.

Audi A5 - 1.
Lexus ES 300H - 3
Toyota Prius - 5

Volkswagen Passat - 5
Renault Kaptur - 8.
Old 14th December 2017, 13:11   #303
SRM
BHPian

For me it eventually came down to Verna vs Compass vs Nexon.

Compass and Nexon had really excited me on their launch. Nexon is one of the better products from TATA stable in terms of engine, features and that distinguished looks. But after seeing it on roads it felt more like a hatchback and I didn't find it that appealing. While Compass is a looker, I find its feature/variants and pricing not quite up there. I can get a fully loaded XUV which is again a proper SUV with a fine engine and all the bells and whistles at a lower price compared to Compass.

And hence, my vote went for Verna. Its got the perfect blend of fine refined engine and feature rich cabin with 6 airbags. Hyundai was forced to not cut costs on it and that is paying off. Definitely the 1st contendor for my next purchase unless Hyundai goofs up with features like they do after few months or another manufacturer throws up a surprise.
Old 14th December 2017, 13:53   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Seen the amount of money they pumped in recently? Hint: See the sheer number of travelogues and other sponsored content around the Verna, months within the launch.
So, are you saying that you smell something fishy there?

Quote:
I'm not sure how many would have scrolled all the way down to second page before voting.
A simple search for "GTO" in the "Votes" page will give the result

Quote:
And that leaves room for suspicion whether the results are actually true and unbiased. No such issues here as votes and member names are always clearly seen.
What I am saying is: "make the results hidden till the final winner is announced". After that, people can verify their votes.
romeomidhun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 16:06   #305
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
P.S. (and ): @GTO, please don't mention your COTY choice (at least not on the first page itself). your choice of car influences a no of voters here (people select and reject cars they are buying basis your advise, this is just a vote!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You took the words out of my mouth. That's my appeal to GTO as well. He can vote last, but not sure if it will have the same traction. Anyways, left to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So, are you saying that you smell something fishy there?

A simple search for "GTO" in the "Votes" page will give the result

What I am saying is: "make the results hidden till the final winner is announced". After that, people can verify their votes.

Guys, GTO voted for the Endevour( first post) last year and it did not win. It was won by Tiago by a big margin.

So I guess we are all voting with our hearts here and not being influenced. My vote was a close call between the Hexa and Compass and that is how a majority of the BHPians have voted.

I would not mind the hidden vote. :Thumbs up

Cheers.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th December 2017 at 16:18.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 17:12   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seen the amount of money they pumped in recently? Hint: See the sheer number of travelogues and other sponsored content around the Verna, months within the launch.
Proofs to believe your words? All companies pumps money for advertising, but when you are implying that they have pumped in money for writing travelogues better to come up with proofs.

In Team BHP as well many people have voted for compass. If you goto FB page of TBHP there are people who are saying that it should have been HEXA and people in that site are voting without even driving it. Who knows what others might be thinking about TBHP as well , ain't it.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 14th December 2017 at 17:23.
Old 14th December 2017, 17:31   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Proofs to believe your words? All companies pumps money for advertising, but when you are implying that they have pumped in money for writing travelogues better to come up with proofs.
Magazines call it sponsored content. You need proof that a sponsored content involving a Hyundai car was funded by Hyundai?

Saving you some time for googling. All the below sponsored content showed up within the last week. Hence my comment about Hyundai's spend recently. Now upto you to choose to believe it or not.

Autocar India -

Overdrive -

Top Gear India -

Motorbeam. They dont call it a sponsored content, but you can be the judge -

Above are the YouTube magazines I follow. So not sure if others came out with their travelogues as well. You can investigate further from here.

Last edited by SDP : 14th December 2017 at 20:42. Reason: Merging as requested
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 20:03   #308

Hey all, proud to see that there better choices for all us motorheads this time than the last time and to see that it is getting better each year.
I suggest it would be better to avoid the option to see the results of the poll before voting, as i was biased to vote for Jeep Compass after seeing the results, but my original choice was Tata Nexon. But i eventually stuck with Tata Nexon in the end.
Cheers.
Old 14th December 2017, 20:42   #309
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017

Quote:
Saving you some time for googling. All the below sponsored content showed up within the last week. Hence my comment about Hyundai's spend recently. Now upto you to choose to believe it or not.

Above are the YouTube magazines i follow. So not sure if others came out with their travelogues as well. You can investigate further from here.

Thumbs up, there is no reason to dispute. Not sure how the Verna trumps the Compass except for the Value For Money tag all reviewers quote at the end of the story to actually make up lost points.

End of the day, the Compass is a fantastic product that appeals to the mind and the heart alike. I am glad Team Bhp COTY is going the Compass way with the Hexa and Nexon completing the top three.
94 votes of around 2150? The champagne is surely flowing on the other side.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th December 2017 at 20:48.
Old 14th December 2017, 21:14   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Magazines call it sponsored content. You need proof that a sponsored content involving a Hyundai car was funded by Hyundai?

These I have seen (I subscribe to same content in youtube as well) and I consider as advertising which many companies does. They give the cars to the mags for some time to be with it and understand & provide a more hands on review.

Some examples which I can give:

Renault :

Maruti :

Mercedes :

Tata :

What I understood from your earlier message what that there was some paid reviews by folks other than those from Auto mags. Atleast that was my inference from this line of yours, " See the sheer number of travelogues and other sponsored content around the Verna".

Anyways from my perspective I do not see wrong in them pumping money and advertising. Where I do see wrong is if they pump in money and get the award. Anyways indirectly the same happens from other Auto mags creating new categories and giving awards to all and sundry just like the various film awards.

I see things in black and white only and don't see grey so mostly I may not get the gist. Anyways just wanted to put my perspective here.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 14th December 2017 at 21:18.
Old 15th December 2017, 12:59   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yes, I'd have voted for Dzire if it came with ventilated seats. But seriously, aren't we missing the big picture here. Taken more things into consideration I mean.
Hi.. No.. not that way . I just picked the feature as an evidence of attitude and approach Hyundai, as a brand, has towards India.

There are probably two ways of looking at the rating. One - purely the 'Product+features' and the other one is the 'Brand' in totality for the assessment. I went more holistic rather.
Old 15th December 2017, 14:56   #312

Voted for Nexon and praying it not to win the poll.

Jeep compass was my first choice but then it would cost us around 20L or more depending upon variant. Not everyone can afford this, on other hand Nexon comes under 13L or less. So my vote was to combination of Affordability and value for money.

I don't want Nexon to win this poll because i don't want to see the fate of Zest/Nano to repeated with Nexon. Both Zest and Nano were TeamBhp COTY but are dud now. Zest was far superior car than any other Compact sedan and much above the standard of Tata and was acclaimed by all Bhpians.

You would say i am superstitious, but that is the reason why i don't want Nexon to win this poll, because i want Nexon to succeeds in numbers.
NishantKj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 19:06   #313
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to the Nexon.

You may call me stupid, but I do have a soft corner for cars engineered in India.

For example, to me, a Compass is just assembled here, copy and paste. Nexon was created grounds up, here, in India.

Stupid, because, if I use my logic, there would only be a handful of cars to choose from.

But, still, the Nexon is at par with the global competition in its segment on most fronts. In some, even better.

A new Tata petrol engine? A couple of years back, no one would even have tested the petrol variant.

And here we were, comparing it to the best petrols from Honda, Ford and Hyundai. That's progress to me. A major achievement.

I guess, it is the Hexa which is eating into the Nexon's votes. An equally good machine, but still, it is a heavily reworked Aria, which is unfair to a car like Nexon. The same logic is applied to the Tigor. It is after all a Tiago with a boot.

Thus, my vote goes to the all new Nexon.
ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 19:10   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishantKj View Post
I don't want Nexon to win this poll because i don't want to see the fate of Zest/Nano to repeated with Nexon. Both Zest and Nano were TeamBhp COTY but are dud now.
That's just too superstitious. The fate of these cars were decided by factors well beyond Team-Bhp.

And Tiago was the winner last year. Doesn't look like it would flop.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 19:59   #315
Senior - BHPian

Today while returning office, there was one Nexon doing quite good speed. It certainly has some presence !!!

BTW the other day took a TD of Nexon diesel. While I liked everything about the car but I must say I was kind of disappointed by the gear shift quality. Its quite notchy and I could not make out if I am in 6th or 4th. The gates did not appear to be well synced.

Even with this flaw, I would say its a real good car for the money its available at !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks