Voters: 2387. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 07:18   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I haven't voted yet. Confused between Nexon, Hexa and Compass.

Broadly, I used the below criteria to shortlist.

1. Relevance to the Indian market
2. Made for India ( not necessarily exclusively for India ) and not just a global product introduced in India
3. Does it bring out any strong point with regards to Indian ingenuity/engineering skills

Nexon/Hexa - Both check all 3 pts above

Compass - Checks 1, 2 but not 3. But I appreciate FCA for really getting their strategy right - in terms of the segment, pricing ( mostly ) and initial sales/service ( not much of bad news about initial sales experience/service ). This also shows how much premium we are willing to attach to a phoren brand ( even if its not premium outside India ).

Need to think more before voting.
Now voted for Nexon - I really feel pt 3 required more weightage than the rest and such recognition will hopefully push more manufacturers to do indigenous research and develop new platforms for India
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 09:03   #272
Senior - BHPian

Interesting poll. Though the Compass looks well set to win the Team BHP COTY, I do feel for the Tata cars in the race. They seem to have split vote of 16% each. The poll might have been a lot closer if they probably had one entry

I guess we should also have another Manufacturer of the year award, I would have loved Tata to have something at the end of the day. GTO et all ?
Old 13th December 2017, 09:50   #273
BHPian

I would have loved to see the Octy vRS 2.0 in here - sweeet engine, Int'l specs, practical 4 seater and well priced IMHO! My next vote goes to the Compass - a lil expensive but ticks all the right boxes, wait till the slush box shows up to become the sure shot winner!
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 10:44   #274
BHPian

Voted for the Jeep Compass. Great car with an aspirational badge. Comes with good amount kit and Jeep priced it perfectly for India.

Tata Hexa would be my runner up.
Old 13th December 2017, 10:49   #275
BHPian

What? No Octy vRS? I was almost sure that we were willing to make an exception for that car, because even though theoretically it is just a new engine(and the other bits), as we all know, the car itself is very different. To be honest, I am a bit sad about this since Team-BHP is primarily an enthusiasts' platform and Skoda definitely deserves praise for catering to the enthusiasts, and so does the car itself.

Coming to the next car, the one that I actually voted for, the Jeep Compass! That Jeep made me fall in love with it the first time I saw it on road, and the fabulously written Team-BHP review was enough for the Compass to reserve a place in my heart. A properly done machine, which is almost everything that you need to tour our beautiful country. Also, the fact that it has been priced reasonably well, is the cherry on the cake. The Easter eggs are lovely too.

The Hexa is a very good effort by Tata. Hats off to them. I would've definitely voted for it if the Compass hadn't stolen my heart.

Keep revvin',
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 10:56   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
What? No Octy vRS? I was almost sure that we were willing to make an exception for that car, because even though theoretically it is just a new engine(and the other bits), as we all know, the car itself is very different. To be honest, I am a bit sad about this since Team-BHP is primarily an enthusiasts' platform and Skoda definitely deserves praise for catering to the enthusiasts, and so does the car itself.

Coming to the next car, the one that I actually voted for, the Jeep Compass!
I believe pretty much all of the Octavia vRS votes have gone in favor of the Compass. Had the vRS been in the poll, i presume around 100 odd votes may have been reduced from the Compass tally. With so many folks requesting for the car, it would have been interesting to see how many votes it may have gotten.

Also agree with another recommendation that we should have a manufacturer of the year - Tata
mail.jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 11:41   #277
BHPian

I will admit that my bias for my compass led me to vote for it. It has been a blissful 6k kms and hoping for many more.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:28   #278
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic reasoning. Nexon/Hexa both meet the criteria. We must applaud our own indigenous R&D, and its not just the body or chassis we're talking about here - but really great engines. Where biggies like Suzuki/Honda are struggling.

Quote:
Broadly, I used the below criteria to shortlist.

2. Made for India ( not necessarily exclusively for India ) and not just a global product introduced in India
3. Does it bring out any strong point with regards to Indian ingenuity/engineering skills
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 12:46   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Nexon/Hexa - Both check all 3 pts above
Which company other than TATA and Mahindra satisfy your points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Also agree with another recommendation that we should have a manufacturer of the year - Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I guess we should also have another Manufacturer of the year award, I would have loved Tata to have something at the end of the day. GTO et all ?
TATA has won the car of the year award three times earlier, more than any other brands in the market. Haven't seen any other brand owners suggesting so back then.

Leave the field open and lets the votes decide. TATA Motors will again get their chance later. Team-Bhp will be just another biased magazine if we start introducing awards for each manufacturer to have something at the end of the day.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th December 2017 at 12:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 13:37   #280
Senior - BHPian

What I find very interesting is that the Hexa, as of today, has got more votes than the Nexon, given that Nexon is in a hot market category, looks fab and is a potential gamechanger for TML
Old 13th December 2017, 13:52   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
What I find very interesting is that the Hexa, as of today, has got more votes than the Nexon, given that Nexon is in a hot market category, looks fab and is a potential gamechanger for TML
Nexon doesn't look fabulous to everyone - it has polarising looks. Many love it, but many do hate it as well. A quick look at the initial reactions on the official review thread will give an idea how many actually do hate the design.

Hexa on the other hand has a lot more universal appeal to it. If the burden of the Aria was not to weigh it down - it would have done even better for TATA in my opinion.

In every other terms, Hexa is just as good a vehicle as the Nexon - if not better.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th December 2017 at 14:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 14:01   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which company other than TATA and Mahindra satisfy your points?

TATA has won the car of the year award three times earlier, more than any other brands in the market. Haven't seen any other brand owners suggesting so back then.

Leave the field open and lets the votes decide. TATA Motors will again get their chance later. Team-Bhp will be just another biased magazine if we start introducing awards for each manufacturer to have something at the end of the day.
To your question - None unless companies like Maruti and Hyundai which command 70% of the market try to do some indigenous engineering and come up with India specific models ( despite having the scale ).

The rest of your post - I couldn't make out what the message was - so no comments.

Last edited by narayan : 13th December 2017 at 14:03.
Old 13th December 2017, 14:55   #283
BHPian

Voted for the Jeep Compass. I belive it's a great product and offers the right balance between power and style. The fact that it is doing decent volume in spite of its price and not being a Maruti is proof in itself about how good the car is.
Old 13th December 2017, 15:00   #284
BHPian

Voted for Hexa. Liked the product overall and can't match the ride comfort it provides keeping the price in mind..
Old 13th December 2017, 16:07   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Well, Tata had two reasonably good products this year, but manufacturer of the year? Many of these manufacturers have got something special to the mix this year. To name a few, there are consistent performers like Maruti and Hyundai who come up with blockbuster models every other year (e.g.; Dzire, Verna this year). Or there is FCA who got on a fresh start with the Compass. I feel what we have is just right – one category one winner. And on that merit Tata already had 3 winners in Nano, Zest and the Tiago (irrespective of their market performance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal
I believe pretty much all of the Octavia vRS votes have gone in favor of the Compass. Had the vRS been in the poll, i presume around 100 odd votes may have been reduced from the Compass tally. With so many folks requesting for the car, it would have been interesting to see how many votes it may have gotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I would have loved to see the Octy vRS 2.0 in here - sweeet engine, Int'l specs, practical 4 seater and well priced IMHO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I think the selection criteria are clearly mentioned in the opening post. The facelifts/new variants can be something like those slight cosmetic changes which happen to Vento/Polo every 6 months, or an extensive makeover like the Ecosport, or a cracking new variant like the Octavia. If these and many others are included it will be just a crowded place with no clear definition on the shortlisted options. Brand new models are much cleaner way IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nexon doesn't look fabulous to everyone - it has polarising looks. Many love it, but many do hate it as well. A quick look at the initial reactions on the official review thread will give an idea how many actually do hate the design.

Hexa on the other hand has a lot more universal appeal to it. If the burden of the Aria was not to weigh it down - it would have done even better for TATA in my opinion.
Great point there!

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th December 2017 at 16:08.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks