Volvo V90 Cross Country 19 0.80%
Volvo XC60 21 0.88%
Voters: 2387. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 20:28   #256
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass

I voted for the Nexon as it reflects TATA Motors will and commitment to make a comeback in the Passenger Car market. While the style and design is subject to varied opinions, I think it still is a significant leap for Tata Motors.

However, if I had to buy a car today, I'd buy the Compass.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 20:28   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
I voted for the Tata Hexa.

Taking on the fight to Innova, Hexa is a brilliant piece of machine packaged with passion by Tata! I don't own one (yet!) but have test driven the XTA few times. The stance, the drive and the comfort is truly world class!
It is time the Indian consumer starts giving the home grown auto maker a fair chance for their recent cars which are aesthetically designed and well built in comparison to their competition.
Can't agree more. A friend has the XTA and boy, it rides so plush. No amount of bad roads can shake it. The Tigor is just such a nice looking car and a clear departure from the earlier days. I am considering getting a petrol one for my mum just because the car won't run much.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 21:01   #258

Eyebrows were raised and the TATA products were really appreciated for the exterior looks and interior, when I did share the pictures of Nexon and Hexa to my German colleagues. I would not dare to show them the interiors of Indica or even for that case that of Vista. But with Nexon and Hexa, it did indeed start a 30 minute conversation about the Indian Auto Industry. For me it is Nexon. To enter a segment dominated by Maruti needs some guts and to succeed, really shows half a decade of perfect product planning and execution by TML. (Even though it is too early to call it a success- I risk calling it so). News of future products from TML stable just adds to excitement.

Small Info: You can rent an Aria here in Germany.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th December 2017 at 00:45. Reason: typo
baireshraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 01:53   #259
BHPian

When I saw the list, I realized it would be either the Compass or the Hexa in the lead. Surprised to see Nexon doing so well - it seems like a great car and ticks all the boxes, but I still think it lacks the x factor.

I personally voted for the Kodiaq - I know it is not a sales success but in terms of design, looks, interiors - it is quite the complete package.
Old 12th December 2017, 04:43   #260
Senior - BHPian

It is the TATA Hexa for me. My opinions are based on what I have read and seen on our reviews. I have not experienced any of these cars in person.

Yes; the Hexa ain't as modern and the body on chassis idea is not great from a safety perspective. However; I believe TATA have thrown everything they can at it from a Quality perspective. I am not sure why they went so far as the USA to import seat materials and door panels but it goes to show that they did not want to compromise on anything on their flagship vehicle. For once, I feel like owning a TATA. Apart from the erstwhile Sierra, I have never felt I could own a TATA. The Hexa changes that.

There are flaws. The weight, the old school engine and those iffy bits make their presence felt somewhere or the other. A shaky engine isn't acceptable today. Weight is not be a good thing for efficiency but I believe it is one of the reasons why the Hexa has an almost flat ride.

TATA did not get it quite right back in 98' with the Indica. Compare that to what they make today and you will agree that cars like the Hexa, Tiago, etc are a sea change in their attitude and approach to building quality cars.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 08:11   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Well after quite a few years, I felt that there is no clear winner this time. Quite a few interesting cars were launched and had their equal share of success and failure, but there was no clearcut runaway blockbuster to make our jobs easier.

So after a lot of thought, my vote goes to the Maruti Dzire. There is no need to describe the kind of success it has enjoyed over the years generation after generation. But the latest car has still managed to improve on the previous model by a great degree and practically addressed every small shortcoming of the previous car, if any.
1. The design looks very good now and it is probably the best looking compact sedan now.
2. The new colours have added to the freshness.
3. The interior quality has been improved a few notches like the new steering wheel.
4. The introduction of AT and MT combinations across the variants was another masterstroke.
5. Lastly addition of the equipment like the Android and Apple car play has ensured that it is fully loaded too.
All in all it becomes a no brainer.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:49   #262
BHPian

Voted for Jeep Compass.

A real easy choice if you ask. It's easily the most discussed car of they year both inside and outside of our forum. And it has just resurrected FCA which was on Ventilator and put them on map of recovery.
Figure this. The market share of FCA is 0.03% and for Jeep is 1.04%. Jeep as a single car sells more than Nissan and Skoda. No other car deserves more than Compass the title of Team-bhp Car Of The Year

Great show by TATA as well. Their 2 cars Hexa and Nexon are neck on neck for the second spot with a combined 32% Votes. At the end of voting, if they do end up on the 2nd and 3rd podium, it's great follow up to last year winner Tiago!
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 11:50   #263
BHPian

Given the perception carried by FIAT hitherto and even as the premium brand image created by its predecessors, wafer thin network of dealers, future looming with uncertainty, heavy price tag, the Compass at launch had all aspects working against it. On papers, it had all recipes picture perfect for a disastrous innings. However, with booming sales, it has proven all numerologists and astrologers in the auto industry as wrong.

It has also proven that Indian customer deserves highest respect by way of bringing quality products. The car is moving in a direction not only to change the fortunes of its parent company in India but also to redefine affordability of a segment which so far could be touched only with a silver stick.

For all its beauty, power, agility and adaptability, the Compass stands true to its name. Voted for the Compass.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 12th December 2017 at 11:51.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 12:07   #264
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[*]It's only NEW cars that are included in our COTY award. That excludes the "refreshed" headlamp & tail-light versions, facelifts and engine variants.
Just a thought, if Dzire and WRV are in this, shouldnt ecosport also be here?

Dzire - change in shape and interiors. rest is the same.

WRV is to jazz what i20 active is to i20

Ecosport - similar type of changes..new look, new interiors and a new engine also
sjain2054 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 12:14   #265
Senior - BHPian

I haven't voted yet. Confused between Nexon, Hexa and Compass.

Broadly, I used the below criteria to shortlist.

1. Relevance to the Indian market
2. Made for India ( not necessarily exclusively for India ) and not just a global product introduced in India
3. Does it bring out any strong point with regards to Indian ingenuity/engineering skills

Nexon/Hexa - Both check all 3 pts above

Compass - Checks 1, 2 but not 3. But I appreciate FCA for really getting their strategy right - in terms of the segment, pricing ( mostly ) and initial sales/service ( not much of bad news about initial sales experience/service ). This also shows how much premium we are willing to attach to a phoren brand ( even if its not premium outside India ).

Need to think more before voting.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 12:43   #266
BHPian

I was caught between Nexon, Hexa and Compass.

I realize the case was same with vast majority. But after deliberation felt Jeep Compass deserves to be voted, not just for the car, but FCA's conscious strategy to build something out of India and bring out a 'quality' car, not compromising the brand's image, still making it affordable for indian masses
Old 12th December 2017, 14:30   #267
BHPian

First saw Tata Tigor and chose it...
then saw Tata Nexon and selected it...
Finally saw Jeep Compass and voted for it.
Old 12th December 2017, 15:11   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GTO, i remember your post somewhere which points to the location of this picture. I remember being there about a decade ago. Its Goa season, i will be visiting this month or next. please give the coordinates or point me to that post. Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 16:07   #269
BHPian

I have voted for Dzire. Probably because so many people around me want to buy one.
There is nothing new or unique or radical about the car as such. The same old petrol/ diesel engines and the same old sub four meter size.
What it achieves, is the near perfection in ironing out each single grouse with the old car. Better rear legroom, wider seats, Ciaz inspired dashboard (compared to old swift like ones) and better integrated boot. It covers all bases.
Hence, it does offer a complete package for people with many differentiated needs.
The front grill is absolutely hideous. However, I am not find anything else wrong with the car. It's a winner for years to come.
Old 13th December 2017, 04:35   #270
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the little market response blurb at the end of the brief overview for each car. For those of us who are looking from the outside in to India, it's difficult to get an idea of the kind of uptake there's been to a new launch if visits are only limited in a year. Thought it was a nice touch basically.

I'll have to say I'll go with the Tata Nexon, it really seems emblematic of Tata really working at reestablishing their mojo and a more modern vibrant image for themselves with good products. I think it was really pleasing of them to take the risk. Sure the styling is polarising but I feel it's not quite as extreme as Mahindra's offerings.

I understand a vast majority of enthusiasts are smitten by the Compass and it's hard to not feel the same, it's a handsome, well priced, excellent car. But this isn't the first time the Fiat group has done something like this. I remember when my dad got the Linea. We were entranced and so seemed to be the automotive community in the country. It promised so much. But as they've done before Fiat just engendered yet more hope of a false dawn with a singular exception followed by the same old malaise. Maybe I'm just jaded. Maybe this sort of volatility is what lends romance to the Fiat group in India.. Who knows.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks