Volvo XC60 21 0.88%
Voters: 2387. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2017, 15:45   #196
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass

Voted for Tata Hexa.

This is my first tata car and i am very much impressed with build quality, NVH and performance of Vericor 400. There is four drive modes to choose from which has different test. It gives me 14.5 to 15 kmpl of mileage on highway (in comfort mode which is my favorite). Very good highway cruiser and great ICE. There is good amount of cabin space and it can take 7 adult with ease which is very rare in current competition. And last but not least, it has terrific Road presence and excellent suspension. All these from Indian manufacturer!
Nilay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 16:19   #197
BHPian

My 2 cents;

Against what it has been advertised, I narrowed down on the Maruti Ignis for my parents as it is small, has good GC, easy ingress-egress and spacious. The global car scores on safety too. Unless I convince them on a Tiago XZA. But car of the year? Nothing so special about it.

Though sub 4 m sedans look much better nowadays, when parked next to any proper sedan they still looks awkward. The elegance of a City, Ciaz, Verna etc is absent. So no matter how much of an improvement it is the Dzire is ruled out. Same is with the Tigor but I like it better than any other sub-4m sedan. However it does not score over the Tiago or Nexon for me.

Now the Nexon and Wrv tick many boxes. Their recent sales have been decent. Would not hesitate on buying one too. But are they explosive by any means?

Same with the Hexa, great car, Competing with the best (Innova) and putting up a brave fight. Would I buy one ? Yes. But has it shaken up the segment?

We have already voted the Nano (revolutionary) & Zest (Product quality) to appreciate TATAs efforts. The Tiago, Kwid and Figo have been voted primarily for changing the fortunes of their respective manufacturers.

The kind of interest the Jeep compass has created reminded me of the Mahindra Xuv 500 and the Ford Ecosport. (the Duster had an empty playground) An Explosive product which makes you drool and want to own one. It is hot, desirable and a good product too. Would I buy one? Probably not over the Hexa. (space, ride quality, features Auto box, TATA bias etc.) But it is wrong on my part to deny that the Jeep Compass is the most happening car this year and it has my vote.
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 16:31   #198
BHPian

Voted for DZIRE, its a trump card for Maruti, Car for the masses. Ticks all the right boxes. And now looks good too.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 16:54   #199
BHPian

I voted for Dzire. I own one, vxi in Oxford blue to precise. In 50 days of my ownership in Nepal, I've done nearly 3000km. So far, satisfied with the car. The only demerit is the low ground clearance that I was aware of before I bought the car. The only niggle that the car has developed is rattles. Marutis are known for rattles but so early in its life and in spite of mostly (95%) highway driving!
amitjha086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 17:13   #200
Senior - BHPian

The Compass makes my head and heart 'point' in the same direction. It's a no-brainer which car will be winning this year T-BHP COTY. Now all I need is a spare 20 lacs.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 18:59   #201
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Compass, seemed like a winner any which way I look at it ! I think it stands head and shoulders above all in it's particular segment

Cheers
Old 9th December 2017, 20:52   #202
BHPian

My vote is for HEXA.
Hexa and Compass were at No.1, Nexon at No.3 & Captur at a very very distant No.4. (detailed below my reasoning). Since the No.1 slot was a tie, I took the patriotism factor to vote for HEXA, if I had a chance, I would have split my vote across these two.

Out of the contenders for this year's COTY, the cars that I can afford are Maruti Ignis, Tata Tigor, Maruti Dzire, Tata Nexon, Honda WR-V, Hyundai Verna, Renault Captur, Tata Hexa & Jeep Compass (though Captur & Hexa are a stretch and Compass is an even bigger stretch). Out of these, I test drove Captur, Nexon, Hexa & Compass.

Captur drive was not at all involving. The car was smooth, however, I felt a lot of lack in power. It was struggling to pull, I had to go to 1st gear at every single speed breaker. Might be the way I drove was wrong, the road chosen was wrong, might be the car was not in good condition (it was new with just 2000+ on ODO) or even it might be that I was not in a good mood. Whatever it is, I could not feel that I was driving a car worth 17.5L OTR (in Hubli).

Nexon was really interesting and had a WOW factor in the interiors. I really feel sad that the touch screen of the Nexon is not provided in Hexa even as an option or adding an additional grand or two. Drive was neutral; I felt like I am driving just another car, that is all, nothing outstanding or lacking. It felt adequately powered at Mysore road (where the metro work was going on) and could zoom past if required and can squeeze in where required. The drive selector mode was a charm and the difference was felt to a layman like me (unlike in Hexa where I could not feel the difference due to my ignorance). The biggest plus factor was its stance and interiors. The audio system was superb (I am no audiophile).

Compass was really interesting to drive. However, the IRR in Bangalore on that day was totally packed and I could not feel the real power/ value of the car. I got about a km of good stretch beyond the U turn after EGL till the next signal and in that short time, I felt I am driving a 25L OTR car (in Bangalore). I felt as if I was connected to the car and wanted this one. Felt thorough premium. However, it fell short on the comfort factor when doing a zig-zag (my friend who was driving the return leg was deliberately doing the same). Also, the comfort (over a short potholed area near KHT Domlur) was totally inferior to that of Hexa.

Hexa is really an interesting car and a curious factor where heart and head are constantly at war now. I test drove this immediately after the Compass drive at Domlur KHT. I have had multiple test drives at different kinds of roads at Bangalore & Hubli. Have almost zeroed in on the XMA variant. I am waiting for April 2018 to finally decide if I should dispose of my Accent which will celebrate it's 9th birthday in April 2018 and take the plunge. Also, somewhere my head is pulling me back and saying --- "Hey mad man, no need to go for Hexa, buy a Nexon and rent a car whenever you need a 7 seater. BTW, you only drove 50000km in 9 years. It does not warrant for such a behemoth. Moreover your usage is not doing justice to the capabilities of Hexa." Here, my wife is totally sold over Hexa and she wants that like my heart, but my head is saying it is simply stupid to go for Hexa given my low usage. Need to decide, a tough one at that!!!!

Last edited by Jakku : 9th December 2017 at 21:12. Reason: Spelling and adding more content.
Jakku is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 21:25   #203
BHPian

I voted for the Tata Hexa.
I have never owned a Tata car before even though I work for one of the Tata companies. But from what is being offered in terms of packaging, ride quality and pricing; the only two choices I wanted to decide between was the Nexon and Hexa. The Dzires and Ecosports of the world are seeing good sales numbers and are successful, so wanted to cast my vote for one of the underappreciated under-dogs. Hexa won the duel between it and Nexon due to the automatic option available which in today's traffic is a must have, especially in the cities.
mindovermotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 21:36   #204
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass it is! Every year when we have the car of the year awards, I keep stating that the car that wins has to be the one that sort of defined it’s segment or created a new benchmark of sorts in its segment and at the same time be within the reach of the mass market.

And if you go by that logic, the Jeep Compass has sort of defined a new segment. It’s a compact 5 seater, with the finesse of most D segment sedans, clearly a segment above cars like Creta etc, but at the same time it’s been priced pretty well. The only flip side I see is that the entry level variant is quite barebones, but it comes at less than 19 Lakhs for which you cannot get any other equivalent car.

Hexa is a close 2nd, like the Compass, the Hexa too has defined its segment. The interiors and its overall feel is even better than the new Innova.
Old 9th December 2017, 22:55   #205
BHPian

My vote is for Tata Nexon for the features and price :-)
Old 9th December 2017, 22:58   #206
Team-BHP Support

For the first time, I think, my voted car is leading the chart and selling well! I am seeing too many Compasses around.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th December 2017 at 23:00.
Old 9th December 2017, 23:52   #207
Senior - BHPian

Heartening to see that the 2nd & 3rd positions, till now, have been occupied by models of an OEM, who possibly wouldn't even have been in contention, even five years back. Good! :-)
Old 10th December 2017, 02:15   #208
BHPian

For me, its a tough fight between Compass, Nexon and the 5th Gen Verna.

Compass - FCA literally struck gold with Compass. It has literally turned the fortunes for FIAT in India. Although it has a gen of an engine in Multijet II with great drive-ability and traction, the reports of niggles in a new car is really disheartening. It does not offer much in terms of space and ride comfort either.

Nexon - Not a ground breaking per se. For me it is just Bolt-on-stilts with some design quirks. However like Bolt, this is a sincere effort from Tata. With excellent usable features, ride quality, ground clearance and good quality interiors at a cheaper price, the Nexon is indeed a good product.

Verna - A Segment which has City and Ciaz for competition. However, both these products are not what really one would aspire to own. City has lost its Brand value. It is no longer the "Legendary" City. Ciaz is just an unsafe tin can. Nothing more to really say about it. The blings are just to cover its flaws. Under these circumstances, the Verna is a breath of Fresh air. With it being built on K2 platform, it really inherits from Elantra the Build as well as Safety features. It has excellent engines, a creamy Petrol and a silent Diesel. Not to mention the first-in-segment features it brings. This is truly THE CAR one aspires to buy in this segment. I sincerely believe Verna has taken over from the "Legendary" City.

Hence my vote goes to the 5th Gen Verna. A true world class product made in India, for an average Indian.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 10th December 2017 at 02:26.
arunramaswamy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 07:59   #209
BHPian

I wish there was an option for the VrS. That's my Car of the Year. I'm unable to vote for any of the others.
Old 10th December 2017, 08:19   #210
Senior - BHPian

For me, I feel; the best all rounder car is the new Hyundai Verna. It looks good, has a nice feel good factor and is priced very nicely. All these points give it an edge over the competition, and so it should deserve the first place.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks