Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 15:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Renault silently discontinues Pulse and Scala

Renault India has reportedly discontinued the Pulse hatchback and Scala mid-size sedan. We have since confirmed the information with Renault Delhi North dealer. Renault hasn't officially released any statement regarding the discontinuation of its models.

Rumour: Renault silently discontinues Pulse and Scala-pulse.jpg

Both models are still listed on their official website however the 'Prices' tab has been taken down. On the contrary, prices of the Duster, Lodgy and Kwid have been mentioned on their respective pages along with the 'post GST' updated price list. Also, Renault has mentioned a starting price for each of these models on their respective homepages, except for the Scala and Pulse.

Rumour: Renault silently discontinues Pulse and Scala-scala.jpg

The Renault Scala was basically a re-badged Nissan Sunny. Similarly, the Pulse hatchback was based on the Micra. Despite the fact that both models were offered at a similar price point as their Nissan counterparts, sales had virtually dried out.

Source: Autosite India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 18th July 2017 at 17:20.
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 16:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Renault silently discontinues Pulse and Scala

I have to admit that both the Scala and Pulse were better lookers than their Nissan siblings.
However, the average interiors and lack of attention/updates from the manufacturer has resulted in their demise.
abhishek46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 11:05   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Who was buying them? The customer had already discontinued the Scala & Pulse; it is Renault who has reacted a bit too late.

Embarrassing double digit sales all through the year, with zero in the recent past.

On the one hand, Renault has had hits like the Kwid & Duster; on the other, a long list of failures. Hope that teaches the French how important 'product relevance' is in India. You can't have a machine-gun strategy where you keep firing away, hoping that something sticks. In today's crowded marketplace, it's time for a sniper-like targeted & precise shot.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 12:09   #4
BANNED

What is interesting here, Renault share the same production line with Nissan for these models. So, though by discontinuing these models Renault might get a cost benefit, but not significantly.

I can think of couple of possibility here:
  1. They don't want to keep already manufactured products hold up in some yards and rather made them to order
  2. Clearing up space for a new B segment hatch and a new sedan
These are my speculation only.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 13:24   #5
BHPian

Judging by the sales they generated, I think Renault "Silently" launched these vehicles too.
speed kills is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 14:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

On the one hand, Renault has had hits like the Kwid & Duster; on the other, a long list of failures. Hope that teaches the French how important 'product relevance' is in India. You can't have a machine-gun strategy where you keep firing away, hoping that something sticks. In today's crowded marketplace, it's time for a sniper-like targeted & precise shot.
I remember during this event, Sumit Sawhney articulating how the Scala and the Pulse provide the optimum true Renault experience. Yours truely piped up if these are true Renaults, I dare you to sell them in Europe. They then sheepishly state that they had a limited budget and this was the best option for India. Enough to say that they avoided talking to me during dinner afterward!

They would have been better off making the next gen Logan and pricing it competitively. Uses similar underpinnings of the Duster.
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 14:18   #7
BHPian

Rumour: Renault silently discontinues Pulse and Scala

I was in the impression that they had been unofficially discontinued in 2016.

A Renault showroom is very near to my place and I had visited them in the beginning of 2016 to check Pulse and Scala. Even at that time they had early 2015 produced vehicles only in stock.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 19th July 2017 at 14:19.
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 14:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

I don't think anyone would have noticed this discontinuation from the Renault line-up

Infact, there nothing Renault about Renault in India - effectively the brand in India is re-branded Dacia or something cheaper derived from that.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 17:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

These 2 models have totally been invisible since day 1. In contrast, their cousins Micra and Sunny are doing relatively better.
Old 19th July 2017, 20:02   #10
BHPian

I don't really understand what is Renault's plan here. It's lineup is one of the least impressive in the Indian market. Their pipeline has Captur, which does not involve any sort of excitement. Not really sure about the cheap CMF-A architecture. In such a situation, why not give a much needed facelift to these cars and give it a second innings? I mean why not have this as a stop gap solution till the cheaper architecture kicks in? I am not really excited about Renault's plan for India, especially after it was known that they gave substandard products for Indian market, in the guise of cost cutting and profits.
Old 19th July 2017, 22:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
In such a situation, why not give a much needed facelift to these cars and give it a second innings?
They did give an (academic half-hearted) facelift to the Micra and Sunny and nothing happened.

As of Pulse and Scala, these were never marketed since day 1. I atleast remember Renault Fluence having a TV commercial, can't recollect any for the above 2 models.

Infact I didn't know a car like Renault Pulse till I met an rare owner of this car sometime in 2013 or 2014
Old 20th July 2017, 00:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
As of Pulse and Scala, these were never marketed since day 1. I atleast remember Renault Fluence having a TV commercial, can't recollect any for the above 2 models.

Infact I didn't know a car like Renault Pulse till I met an rare owner of this car sometime in 2013 or 2014
Anil Kapoor did a Renault Pulse ad. There were also ads for Scala.

A senior colleague at my workplace drives the Scala Automatic - a very rare variant. I have had the opportunity to ride with him a couple of time. The car haa a 'greige' interior, funny looking circular console, chiller AC, acres of space, and an absorbent ride.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 08:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Does Mahindra have complete rights over the Logan? Renault could have easily launched the Next Gen Logan and seen some success with it which would have been better than the numbers of Scala and the pulse.
Old 21st July 2017, 09:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Does Mahindra have complete rights over the Logan? Renault could have easily launched the Next Gen Logan and seen some success with it which would have been better than the numbers of Scala and the pulse.
There have been reports already that Renault it's looking to replace the Scala with the Symbol. The Symbol is just a souped up version of the second gen Logan. Don't know if this is still Renault's plan going forward.
Old 21st July 2017, 16:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Scala and Pulse were launched "silently",
Existed "silently" and
Died "Silently"

Its all out for no loss!!!!
No one will miss it, and Renault showroom for prospective Scala and Pulse buyers wont miss it.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks