Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2017, 13:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh

I have not driven neither of the VW GTI and Mini S. However, I own a GT TSI for the past 6 months (Feb 2017 version with 16" wheels on Conti MC5 rubber) , and I have driven quite extensively in the recent past a rented Mini Copper Countryman D on the hills around Costa Brava and on the Pyrenees mountains north of Barcelona. I do not think, the steering on the Mini is hugely superior compared to that even on my GT TSI. In addition, I found the suspension too much on the soft side, so that I needed to slow down considerably on the bends of those hilly roads which were quite narrow sometimes on the Pyrenees. I would not say, I disliked the Mini, but I felt nothing so special to warrant a price of 30L+ in India. Agreed, the Mini S perhaps is a different car in its handling and performance, but how different it is?

Last edited by asitkde : 26th August 2017 at 13:07.
Old 26th August 2017, 15:06   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Had a word with the service manager as well. Availability of standard consumables also is a cause for concern due to such limited numbers and CBU nature of the car. Not more than 8 cars running in BLR as of now.
Thanks for the detailed response :-). Your concern is very correct:
1. NO commonality with the 2.0 VRS (totally different)
2. Common 1.8 block (with the current Octavia) but apart from that minimal similarity
3. Loads of suspension parts must be different.
4. Replacement interior parts will/may not be P-N-P from India Polo.
5. XDS could be an issue if needing TLC.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 11:32   #63
Team-BHP Support

I was following one from Windsor Manor to town. With the exception of the acceleration, there was nothing to distinguish it from a plain vanilla Polo, big exhaust, widetyres, GTI badge excepted. The glassy side profile would be the only other distiguishing point!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 08:59   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

So I bit the bullet and brought home the GTI. Time to renew my love affair with the 1.8 TSI

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_165201.jpg

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_164825.jpg

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_164850.jpg

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_164941.jpg

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_165031.jpg

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_165052.jpg

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_165116.jpg

Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh-20170910_181301.jpg

Will try and put up a detailed review after racking up some miles.
Santoshbhat is online now   (49) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 10:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I bit the bullet and brought home the GTI.
Woah Santosh, I never saw that coming buddy

Congrats on your latest acquisition, and boy what a pick that is!! Wish you many happy miles and a peaceful motoring.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but you had the GT TDI and the Laura 1.8 TSI prior to this True Blue Hatch?
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 10:20   #66
BHPian

Quote:
So I bit the bullet and brought home the GTI. Time to renew my love affair with the 1.8 TSI

Congratulations Sir. I visited the dealer here in ahmedabad for GT TSI and saw this beauty, waited to be picked up. He said "only 58 cars are sold all over India out of 99 brought." Yours is one of that. I have alteast this one in radar as a pre-worshipped one.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 11:10   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah Santosh, I never saw that coming buddy

Congrats on your latest acquisition, and boy what a pick that is!! Wish you many happy miles and a peaceful motoring.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but you had the GT TDI and the Laura 1.8 TSI prior to this True Blue Hatch?
Neither did I! I lost interest after the initial price announcement but the price cut renewed my interest. I have the Bharat Sarkar to thank for pushing me over the fence. The impeding GST increase and limited stocks made me go for it. I was missing a nice lusty petrol ever since I sold off the Laura. The GTI fits my needs perfectly.

I had the Laura 1.8 and currently own the GT TSI. The GT TSI will now take over duties from a 12 yr old Santro Xing which is being sold. The GTI takes the place of the GT TSI as my daily driver. The Santro actually made way for the GTI . I can't believe this is my 3rd VAG car in 6 years! They must be doing some things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Congratulations Sir. I visited the dealer here in ahmedabad for GT TSI and saw this beauty, waited to be picked up. He said "only 58 cars are sold all over India out of 99 brought." Yours is one of that. I have atleast this one in radar as a pre-worshipped one.
As per info given to me they have sold about 60 till date. Apparently mine is the last Black one. Colours now available are red, white and silver.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 11:23   #68
BHPian

Quote:
As per info given to me they have sold about 60 till date. Apparently mine is the last Black one. Colours now available are red, white and silver.
Thanks for the update. The black looks lusty, i must say. Seems, you and your cars are destined to be with each other. I believe similar was the case with your X3 also. So now 39 more to be sold before it makes VW think about future of GTI in India. The manufacturing year for all should be 2016 and hence can we expect some more price drop in year end? or will they hold it?

How is the condition of stock tyres, since they were lying in stockyard for almost more than a year now.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 11:31   #69
Team-BHP Support

Wow! Congratulations.

What was the final price? I believe 19.99L was the pre-GST offer, so hope you got a very nice deal on the car. Anyways, with the upcoming cess, where the GTI will be penalized as a big car due to the 1.8L engine - the deal you got is even sweeter due to the sheer timing.

Congrats once again. I believe it's the first and only GTI in the forum!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 12:22   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. Congrats. Not expecting this at all given what you already have. But it's a great fun car to buy, an explosive sleeper daily driver. Can really startle the big guys on the road.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:08   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wow! Congratulations.

What was the final price? I believe 19.99L was the pre-GST offer, so hope you got a very nice deal on the car. Anyways, with the upcoming cess, where the GTI will be penalized as a big car due to the 1.8L engine - the deal you got is even sweeter due to the sheer timing.

Congrats once again. I believe it's the first and only GTI in the forum!
Final on road came to 25.00L which includes 60K for 2+2 yrs extended warranty. This is down from about 33.xxL from before the price cut. Price of 19.99L was announced after GST. I think group co. - Skoda coming out with a true blue VRS at 24.xxL has definitely played a role in making VW dropping prices of the GTI.

I think post GST Cess hike (5%) prices should move north by another 80K unless VW is keen to clear stocks fast, in which case they may absorb this increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Wow. Congrats. Not expecting this at all given what you already have. But it's a great fun car to buy, an explosive sleeper daily driver. Can really startle the big guys on the road.
I was on the lookout for a daily driver for some time. The GT TSI is a great car, but at times I have to drive out of town on work where I simply cannot take the X3. On those highway drives I always felt the braking of the GT TSI to be below par and felt vulnerable. I am used to highway driving with good brakes. That is one reason I did not do any remap or suspension upgrade on it. I am not convinced about aftermarket rear drum to disc conversions. The Cooper S and Volvo V40 were considered, but later dropped due to high price and same problem as with the X3 - Attracts too much attention. The GTI after the price drop was too good a proposition to be ignored.
Santoshbhat is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:31   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ...

Fantastic. Please consider the miles driven home from the dealer to be enough to get started!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:46   #73
BHPian

@Santoshbhat, wow the GTI looks ravishing in Black, congrats! Wish you millions of smile while you much miles.
amitk2kin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:51   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post

How is the condition of stock tyres, since they were lying in stockyard for almost more than a year now.
Just checked the tyres. They are of a 4516 batch (week 45 of 2016). Made in Poland 215/45R16 91V Bridgestone Turanzas. These also have a marking 'xtra load' on them. I hope VW has followed prescribed norms when cars were lying in stock. Usually tyres are overinflated to prevent the rubber from going out of shape at the contact point. Super rare size this one. I don't think its available in the Indian market. I hope VW can supply tyres when needed. Or am I being over optimistic?

BTW as per VIN decoding its a MY 2017 car built in Pamplona, Spain in 2016.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car - especially in that color! Many congratulations! My only gripe with the indian GTI is that it lacks a few bits that are present in the vanilla GT such as auto dimming IRVM and electrically foldable ORVMs. The latter is especially necessary when driving in narrow lanes in Bangalore.

As for performance, this car is in a different league - lovely engine, a much nicer sounding exhaust, awesome brakes and barely any understeer even when driving like a loon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks