Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 07:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The next-generation 2018 Nissan Sunny

Nissan has started work on the Gen Next sunny based on Nissan’s CMF-A platform and to come with Duster’s 1.5-litre petrol engine.Expected to be launched in late 2018. No diesel power-train is planned.

The next-generation 2018 Nissan Sunny-0_530_800_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20170706085834_sunny_image.jpg

It will be based on the new Micra hatchback (K14) but will feature an extended wheelbase for more legroom.

Quote:
The new Sunny, like the current car, will be a global model and will be sold in both left- and right-hand drive markets alike, where it is also known as the Almera or the Versa. While the car will be based on the latest version of the V platform for the international markets, the India-spec new Sunny will be underpinned by Nissan’s cost competitive CMF architecture.
Quote:
When it comes to engines, the new Sunny’s mainstay will be the group’s new 106hp, 1.5-litre petrol unit launched recently on the Duster. Nissan’s X-Tronic CVT automatic gearbox is expected to be carried over and, though many customers may miss it, there won’t be a diesel.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th July 2017 at 07:17.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 08:00   #2
BHPian

If it is going to look anywhere near the above image, it is better Nissan doesn't launch this car.
thesilentone is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 08:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: The next-generation 2018 Nissan Sunny

The Nissan Sunny never "excited" me as a car per se. The new avatar doesn't change my mind either. That's just my view.

I'm guessing that Nissan is probably going to try to get a low-ish price point to ensure that the price concious get drawn to it. Which is possibly why there is only a petrol motor on offer.

I'm thinking the price point will make or break the future of this car !

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 10:27   #4
BHPian

The sunny now turns from bad looking to worse. The engine, though it is said to be the same 1.5 litre mill from the duster, I expect it to be tuned in a different manner. The performance, specifications, features and other aspects however remain unknown and therefore I holdback to comment on the same. In my personal opinion (and going merely on the image posted here), the car seems dead on arrival. The earlier sunny survived so far (though it never clocked big numbers) due to its only USP viz., space. The competition (Ciaz and the City) has not only caught up faster but has even set the bar higher by offering much better space management. Nissan now needs to improve on other aspects as well, especially in the appearance aspect, so that it remains relevant in the market.

With availability of cars that are filled to the brim with features, oodles of space and good looks, the customer of today is pampered with a variety of options to choose from. With products in its line-up that are visually less appealing, thin network, and the sole USP which is also eaten up by the competition, Nissan may find hard time convincing prospective buyers to step into its showroom and buy this product.

Nissan clearly has missed another opportunity here to rebuild the image, improvise on sales and resurrect its market share.

The Caaaar is not at all appealing Saaaar.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 13th July 2017 at 10:35.
King_pin09 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 10:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This car looks like a copy of the Elantra, especially the grill design, the headlamps and the rising side profile. The side ORVMs seem to be lifted from the Baleno.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 11:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: The next-generation 2018 Nissan Sunny

I doubt this will be launched in India at all if there's no diesel. As the high(or say respectably) selling variant is the 1.5 DCI used across the nissan-renault range from Micra/Pulse to Terrano/Duster/Fluence in different states of tune. And ofcourse the engine is pretty nice to drive as well But the petrol? How many do they sell anyways?

Guess India isn't the target market for petrol variant of this car. Isnt Sunny the same car that is sold as Nissan Pulsar in Australia? Seen quite a few of pulsars there in Melbourne/Adelaide/Sydney while there and quite a few were petrol variants. Maybe those markets are the target for now.

Lookwise its a boot-job to the upcoming international facelifted/updated Micra. As long as they don't try to squeeze this under 4m for our market I have no complains with the boot-integration. Looks OK to me. Neither wow,nor boring as the current sunny

Last edited by SoumenD : 13th July 2017 at 11:17.
Old 13th July 2017, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

It's really sad that Nissan is so confused in Indian car market. This car again looks okay but nothing great. Copy of some other models. Nissan is big and has loads of models in US where they do extremely well, why not India then? Not sure why they tied up with Renault here and has same models with some minor changes. That seriously kills the brand. Datsun is another big mistake. They should have launched all models under Nissan only. Redigo is one of the best designs for small car and could have done much better in Indian market. Not sure when they will learn.
Old 13th July 2017, 13:21   #8
BHPian

Not because I own a Micra, but I feel the new proposed Sunny looks a lot better than the current one. From a design perspective, I feel the new Sunny looks a lot better. This model looks more modern, has the aggressive stance, the sedan proportions and a sensible engine.

If Maruti Suzuki (with it's brand value) could sell Ciaz with an under powered engine (on papers), then this new Sunny will certainly sell up to 400 - 600 units per month on average. Nissan's current offerings are not bad, and they do not excel either. That is their achilles heel.

The success of new Sunny solely relies on the Price + Package + A.S.S.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 13:30   #9
BANNED

I am curious how they are going to manage the same car with 2 different platforms. Autocar India seems to be confused since they already said that new platform wont come here but somehow the car will??

Anyways, I think it looks good and I wish it keeps its USP intact, there is no point in trying to fight Ciaz and City with "competent" product. You absolutely need a USP, who else can teach them that but Kwid
Old 13th July 2017, 13:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I am curious how they are going to manage the same car with 2 different platforms

For India the new Sunny will be underpinned by Nissan’s cost competitive CMF architecture.

The Renault-Nissan Alliance will focus on rationalizing two platforms for future models in India – CMF-A/CMF-A+ and B0/Logan. The next-gen Sunny will ride on the CMF-A+ platform.

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th July 2017 at 13:43.
Old 13th July 2017, 13:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

This looks like a Dual cab pickup truck

The reason why current Sunny did not do well is interiors, they are so drab.
Hope they have improved a lot.
Old 13th July 2017, 13:39   #12
BHPian

Datsun and Nissan make by far the ugliest cars in India. The Nissan showroom, for the two years that it lasted in our city, was a sad place to visit. The Micra Active is still a decent looking vehicle for its size, but the rest are all just weirdly designed, with a ton of chrome slapped over the front, as if to ensure that they don’t sell. I spoke to the dealer here and he said the volumes were so low that if he had kept it running for even one more year, he’d have to sell his other businesses to make up for the tremendous losses. Looking at the image above, I think he made the right call.
Old 13th July 2017, 13:44   #13
BANNED

Its got design issues. The dimensions does not add up and it is just not a balanced design. Is that the ground clearance? Looks like that of a compact suv!! The headlights remind me of the old elantra. The design looks bloated towards the rear. Overall not something that I would put my money on. Cant decide which one is worse the old one or the new one?
Old 13th July 2017, 15:34   #14
BHPian

That car got serious design issues

Seems like the nissan designer, on a fine morning drives his sunny to office and crashes into a parked elantra
He gets out, looks at the car and thinks " well well well, there it is , paste a datsun redi go grill on the front and some nissan badges, we have the new sunny ! Job done !
Old 13th July 2017, 16:09   #15
BHPian

Come on guys, this clearly is not the image of the final product, in fact the final design of the car may not look anything like that at all. This is a speculative render by Autocar India (it says so in the image itself), and they have simply done a shabby job by pasting a boot on the 2017 Micra. Why criticize Nissan for what Autocar has done!! Yes, Nissan's current designs in India is nothing home to write about, but even then it's not fair to bash them for something that they have not done!!
y2ksrs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks