Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 09:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Maharashtra: Road tax on private vehicles hiked by 2%

Well, they've been learning from the best and their neighbour - Karnataka. Highest road tax in the country with probably some of the worst roads (not including the very expensive toll roads).

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2017 at 13:19. Reason: Quoted post deleted
sabby_4c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 09:22   #17
BHPian

Seriously! This is pathetic. MH is one state which has worst roads compared to other major states across India and ironically counters for one of the highest taxes levied on various commodities. The money is literally going down the drain. A lot of plans speculated across Pune for example but the pace at which it is moving seems a generation away.

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2017 at 13:19. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 5th July 2017, 10:49   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibrain View Post
Exactly my thoughts!
The same concept is being implemented to the Petrol sold in Maharashtra as well. In the month of June, twice the OMCs reduced the prices by couple of Rupees, which was immediately offset by the hike in State level taxes.
The price of petrol in Delhi is somewhere around Rs.64, while in Maharashtra around Rs 74.
Well pointed, if I remember correctly, it was mentioned as "Drought" tax at that time. With current level of rain, I think it would be soon, we would be having a drought and flood tax applied together .

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The biggest reason is corruption
We all know it. It's always easy to tax the taxed, those who are paying can pay a little more, why take headache on getting from those who are not paying. The rant would continue if I start here, better to hold back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
@15% road tax for diesel vehicles, the price of the car has to be 1.33 crore or more to reach the cap of Rs. 20 lakhs. How many such vehicles are sold in the state and for people who can afford to buy such cars, can they not afford to pay more taxes?
The ideal situation would be there should be a minimum cap on road tax, not maximum. My newspaper delivery guy comes in a moped, he should not be paying tax for someone who can afford a 2 cr vehicle.
Don't we have similar structure in Income tax? They should abolish road tax for vehicle costing less than a certain amount or rather have a fixed flat amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Seriously! This is pathetic. MH is one state which has worst roads compared to other major states across India and ironically counters for one of the highest taxes levied on various commodities. The money is literally going down the drain. A lot of plans speculated across Pune for example but the pace at which it is moving seems a generation away.

Cheers,
Amey
Forget pune, my recent trip to west coast just enlightened me. At least they should rename the road safety tax to population control tax .
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 15:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I always had a hunch that Maharashtra government is going to do this, much before news started coming in that cars will get cheaper, more affordable etc.
so wasn't to excited about GST and its impact on car prices

The only problem I have is that if we pay higher road taxes, why dont we have good roads or better infrastructure ?
Also, I think farmer loan waivers are going to make things more difficult for Maharashtra government.
Old 5th July 2017, 17:44   #20
BHPian

I guess we, the honest tax payers, need to come out on the street and ask for our share (just like the farmers did). We should ask for better roads, better infra, better schools, better civic amenities. Earlier and present governments have been taking the genuine taxpayers for granted. God knows what happens to the cash collected through traffic fines, cash from the toll plazas. If I'm asked "what do I get in return for the taxes I have been paying?"... unfortunately, I do not have an answer !
streetfighter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 18:08   #21
BHPian

This seems to be a standard ploy by the Maharashtra Govt to ensure that rates of Goods never come down. When petrol prices were slashed by the Central Govt. it took all of a little over 24 hours for the Maharashtra Govt. to increase excise on fuel and go back to the higher prices.

Details - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...-rs-2-4661393/

Also with the so called capping of Road Tax to 20L, they seem to be giving a message that they are in favour of the rich who can afford to buy cars which attract such high amount of taxes. The common man is as usual left no choice but to pay through the nose. With the hassle and pains of being harassed by the officials we are left with no choice but to register the car in the state and pay higher taxes!
Maverick1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 15:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The state government claims that it will be losing around Rs. 700 crore as revenue from octroi and local body tax (LBT) on vehicles, as the two have been abolished. In order to compensate for this loss, the road tax rates have been hiked. The government is expecting to generate an annual revenue of Rs. 750 crore with the hike.
The Central Govt. has already paid Rs. 647 crores to compensate this estimated 700cr loss in advance. [source: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...ation-2493123]

So, there was no need to increase the road tax to compensate losses that have been already compensated. This is called making profit from both sides.

Last edited by saket77 : 7th July 2017 at 15:28.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 15:58   #23
BHPian

Its a shame that the state govt is taking its people for granted. Car prices came down due to GST and the opportunist govt increased road taxes. If GST's anti-profiteering clauses apply to someone, it should be to MH govt.
Old 7th July 2017, 18:03   #24
Team-BHP Support

I'm not sure if the folks at the Centre were dumb or willfully ignorant of states indulging in such practices. Neither helps the common man who's being robbed blind.

The compensation amounts should be withdrawn, since the states are finding ways of making up losses (and then some) on their own anyway.
Old 9th August 2017, 15:08   #25
BHPian

What are the final tax slabs. Can someone post the details. Just saw the price sheet for Jeep dealer in Pune and for a 17.5L Ex-showroom price, the road tax was 14.5%. I am not sure if that's the correct amount. Should have been some even figure.
Old 9th August 2017, 15:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
What are the final tax slabs. Can someone post the details. Just saw the price sheet for Jeep dealer in Pune and for a 17.5L Ex-showroom price, the road tax was 14.5%. I am not sure if that's the correct amount. Should have been some even figure.
It has already been mentioned in the opening post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The applicable taxes have now been increased to 11-13% for petrol and 13-15% for diesel vehicles.
The dealers always add their service charges into the RTO tax amount mentioned in the price list. This is a wrong practice and one must always insist on getting a clear bifurcation so you know before hand how much is the service fee and how much is the RTO tax receipt amount.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 16:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It has already been mentioned in the opening post:

The dealers always add their service charges into the RTO tax amount mentioned in the price list. This is a wrong practice and one must always insist on getting a clear bifurcation so you know before hand how much is the service fee and how much is the RTO tax receipt amount.
Thanks. After digging the Maharashtra RTO website, I got the tax slabs based on the cost of the vehicle and fuel type. Attaching for everyone's benefit.

Basic Taxation - MOTOR VEHICLE DEPARTMENT, MAHARASHTRA.pdf

So basically, the dealer is supposed to charge 14% Tax and the other 0.5% is additional which comes to the tune of Rs. 9000 for services. Apart from this they levy handling charges of Rs. 10000. Don't know how this racket is surviving.
aviraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Waking up an old thread.

Can someone share the present road tax rates in Maharashtra? When I contacted a dealer recently I was told the road tax will be applied on the ex show room cost fixed by the manufacturer and not on the invoice value from the dealer post the discounts. What is the correct understanding of applying road tax. For eg if the Manufacturer has a one country one price ex showroom price of say 10L whereas post negotiations if the dealer has agreed for a discount of 50K, will the road be calculated on 10L or 9.5L?

If someone wishes to pay the road tax on their own what is the best means available online? What about the registration charges? Can this be also paid online?
Old 21st December 2021, 12:08   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Waking up an old thread.

Can someone share the present road tax rates in Maharashtra? When I contacted a dealer recently I was told the road tax will be applied on the ex show room cost fixed by the manufacturer and not on the invoice value from the dealer post the discounts. What is the correct understanding of applying road tax. For eg if the Manufacturer has a one country one price ex showroom price of say 10L whereas post negotiations if the dealer has agreed for a discount of 50K, will the road be calculated on 10L or 9.5L?

If someone wishes to pay the road tax on their own what is the best means available online? What about the registration charges? Can this be also paid online?
You have to pay it on 10L. Unfortunately MH does not allow discounted price to be used.

You can pay it online, you can request the dealer to send you the link.

Not sure of the currently slabs I think its between 10 to 14% for petrol and diesels. However, it is capped to a max of 20L in MH.

Last edited by Sahil : 21st December 2021 at 12:37.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Waking up an old thread.

Can someone share the present road tax rates in Maharashtra?
See the "Road Tax Rates for Four-wheelers in Maharashtra" table on the page below:

https://www.godigit.com/road-tax/maharashtra-road-tax

As far as I know, what the dealer is telling you is correct. Road tax (and insurance too, I think) will be calculated on the ex-showroom price published by the manufacturer (either country wide or for a specific city). Dealer discount will be applied after that.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st December 2021 at 12:22.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks