Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2017, 22:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Its sad to see the Endeavour suffering from such poor sales as compared to Fortuner which is clocking close to 6 times more units considering the Endeavour is a superb offering from Ford.

No wonder I see the Creta everywhere. On an average Hyundai is selling 8000 Cretas per month. That is huge.

Another disappointment is Ford Figo. Lovely car but very poor sales. Wonder where Ford is going wrong.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th June 2017 at 05:31. Reason: Endy = Endeavour
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 07:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

A good month for the Auto Industry with most posting +ve growth except for Toyota and VW ( not considering Fiat and GM). In fact GM does better than FIAT in terms of growth

Maruti does so well and if NEXA was a brand it would have listed 3rd in the chart! S-Cross, Baleno, Ignis & Ciaz posted a sales of 26,120 units.

Market shifts considerably towards petrol . Here are two examples,( source-Gaadiwaadi)

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-capture.jpg

Here are the segment leaders, not so different than the previous year.

1. Hatchback

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-hatch.jpg

2. Premium Hatchback

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-prem-hat.jpg

3. Compact Sedan

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-comp-sed.jpg

4. Sedan

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-sed.jpg

5.Compact SUV

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-csuv.jpg

6. MUV

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-muv.jpg

7. SUV

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-suv.jpg

Source- Auto Punditz

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2017 at 16:32. Reason: "not so different than the previous month" >> year
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 08:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Maruti can do no wrong. It continues to lead/top all segments it has presence in. Guess no stopping Maruti in india.

Hyundai is beginning to hurt itself big time in the D segment. Look at the Elantra and Tucson numbers. Elantra a 100+ and Tucson has dropped below 100 units. That's not good news for Hyundai which is desperately trying to showcase their premium. With their greedy pricing I guess they will be considered as good only upto the C segment.

Ford is living on the Edge with Ecosport the bread winner. Looks like Brezza has something to do with the poor sales of the Aspire on one side and Ecosport's dropping numbers. If Kona is launched at Ecosport prices it will drive those numbers further down. Sad to see the Endevour numbers going down.

Fiat o Fiat. Down and out, with no new model on the horizon , it's just going to be history.

Honda is also going down on the City numbers. Thanks to its steep pricing and not so good quality.

Surprising that the Innova numbers are dropping. Is it because the fleet sales have declined with the steep price ? This corresponds to increase in Ertiga in the same period. Fleets shifting loyalties ?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 09:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Fleet loyalties are always on money. If Toyota got too greedy then they loose. Simple.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 10:47   #20
BHPian

Both Ciaz and City sales are down MoM; Verna, Rapid & Vento are nowhere in sight. What are the entry level sedans that people are buying these days?

WRVs? I haven't seen a lot of them on road either.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Surprising that the Innova numbers are dropping. Is it because the fleet sales have declined with the steep price ? This corresponds to increase in Ertiga in the same period. Fleets shifting loyalties ?
In my office circle, i am seeing more people talking about Ertiga, a few even bought it last month. A few other colleagues who sat in their colleague's new Ertiga came away very impressed. So, there appears to be a subtle shift of perceptions towards Ertiga, one of it being VFM vis-a-vie Innova Crysta. (This is just my personal rationale). That said, our office's 3rd party car fleet vendor still uses Innova. At least they have always provided Innova's for our office use, never Ertiga.

What surprises me though is the jump of sales of Bolero. Good going M&M.
DriverR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 14:27   #22
BHPian

The guy who did the Scorpio and Bolero decisions within M&M needs a bigger paycheck. Steady at 4k / 6k units.

I wonder where VAG is going with their strategy. They introduced so many upgrades / uplifts / "new" models, that customers may just have lost their mind. They need to get the new replacement for Vento or at least start making noises about it. Hopefully the Tiguan will help them sort their budgets.

Poor Fiat, the darling of TBHP. Whatever happened to the Aegea (?) sedan? I wish they don't pin their hopes on Jeep. That's just a fiasco waiting to happen.

Ford needs a diesel automatic at the Aspire / Figo range. There's plenty of action in the small hatch / sedan space since that's what people prefer to commute to offices. Having only a petrol automatic isn't going to cut it.

Excited for the new DZire.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 14:53   #23
BHPian

Maybe it is time for us to put Nexa in a separate category. This may not look good for the overall Maruti numbers, but it will be a true reflection of what is happening and of customer perception.

The 110 units of Camry, 80+ of Superb and 1 of Accord are a story in itself. These cars have pushed the price tag so close to the German luxury sedans and hatches that despite being bigger and better in some aspects, they will be cannibalized. You just cant beat the lure of owning a genuine luxury sedan especially in a show-off market like India. Will be great if someone can get the German cars' sales figures too, to substantiate my point.
Khushrav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:26   #24
BHPian

I got a question. Swift sold 16k last month and Baleno sold less than that at 14k odd. I was wondering then how swift, that outsold baleno, is available with little or no waiting period while the Baleno has a long waiting period. Is it because of production constraints at the plant?
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Is it because of production constraints at the plant?
The waiting period of Baleno has come down now, thanks to Gujarat plant. It's just production vs demand constraints leading to waiting period. Production capacity of Swift is more than Baleno.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:59   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I got a question. Swift sold 16k last month and Baleno sold less than that at 14k odd. I was wondering then how swift, that outsold baleno, is available with little or no waiting period while the Baleno has a long waiting period. Is it because of production constraints at the plant?

You have to also factor in the sales outlets. Baleno is sold only through nexa which gets it limited reach whereas the Swift is sold through MS dealerships which gets it a wider reach.

Last edited by navin : 8th June 2017 at 16:25.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Army or no Army, Gypsy is soldiering on. I thought end of sale to Army was the end of Gypsy. How he proved me wrong!

With a modern replacement for Gypsy, it can garner 2K sales per month, I guess.

A modern ladder frame / light weight modular platform
1.2L boosterjet engine
Switchable 4WD
5 door, 5 seater
Coil spring suspensions
Priced around 8L ex-showroom Delhi.

Maruti, will you please provide me such a Gypsy?
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 17:41   #28
BHPian

Please don't brand Indians 'price sensitive', we cannot. Because we pay 2 times to 5 times or more compared to developed countries (on purchasing power parity terms as well the inflated cost of car due to high tax structure!!). We are in fact a 'VALUE SENSITIVE' country.

Further, if you see the segment wise sales, the least price segment A is consistently at 3rd position from sales point of view. Number one is not even B1 segment but B2 segment (PREMIUM Hatchback). So, Indians buy value even at a premium.

Further, in my opinion, this segmentation itself needs revision with changed time. It appears misleading.

And on Chevy front, whatever be the reason, it's a sad time for the kind of contribution they brought to India. Success & failure to succeed keeps happening. I'm not an expert to comment on their strategy to exit Indian market but that doesn't ring the warning bell to others. India is a big market and everyone can have a share. It's a matter of sticking to few ground rules. Like, Ford and Renault with around 3% market share had the capability to shake the market place many a times. And so Skoda (at paltry 0.5%) has the potential to do so.

And may be major landslide is still awaited in the name of EV: Electrical Vehicle. Or in the form of philosophy of shared car: Ola, Uber types.
kbishwa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 20:24   #29
BHPian

Kwid is down to under 7000 units from 9000+ units earlier. Now I understand the reason for the sticker job that they have done on Kwid now. Can this be the reason that the AMT is actually making buyers think twice and then switch to Maruti - because of the lack of manual override? At least, I feel so. Many are opting for automatic in this segment now and they will be thinking twice before buying an AMT car that does not give control to the driver.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2017 at 12:30. Reason: Language
gopalnt is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th June 2017, 20:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

I just saw Maruti Dzire in flesh and it might be safe to assume that Honda Amaze and Hyundai Xcent will see a drop in sales in the coming months. I wont think too much on Dzire's numbers for the month of May.

Was expecting much better numbers from Tigor, hope it is just some initial production constraints and other things. If not, Tata should start thinking about the car's future immediately (A proper 4 cylinder petrol engine to start with ?)

SUV buyers probably banking on GST implementation.

Lets just observe a minute of silence for those who bought a GM car last month

On that note, Nissan's numbers are worrying too ! They dont have a premium lineup like Skoda/VW, so not sure how long they will sustain on such low numbers.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks